Menu

Quick! Putting together a silly Grown-Up Kit for dd's 18th birthday--need ideas

Harriet Vane

Dd's 18th birthday is this weekend. I want to put together a silly Grown-Up Kit for her.

Ideas I have so far:

Compass, so she will always find her way.

Pepper spray for protection

Emergency cash

Voter's guide (not sure where I'll find one but . . .)

Mustard seed (If you have faith the size of a mustard seed . . .)

Any other ideas? The gift is meant to be symbolic and silly, not expensive. I'd like to fill this out with more items. Help!

Thanxaholot!!!!

A rope or piece of yarn--something with multiple strands woven together--as a reminder that she doesn't have to go it alone, that she's strongest in community

Similar idea: something iron, maybe a small container of iron filings, as a reminder that she is called both to speak wisdom to others and to hear when they speak wisdom to her (iron sharpens iron)

I love this idea ... I can see how some things could be silly, but with the incredible symbolism, this could be a very special and meaningful gift, even without spending a lot of money.

Here's a book recommendation: 

The Worst Case Scenario Survival Handbook: How to Escape from Quicksand, Wrestle an Alligator, Break Down a Door, Land a Plane...

The Last Lecture is also a really good book, you could say something along the lines of "well, maybe not the last lecture, I still have a few in me."

A few more ideas:

Emergency bar of chocolate- because it can fix a whole lot.

Fun, character band aids- because life is rough and sometimes we get knocked down.

A small mirror-so that she can always see herself clearly

A CD of her favorite comedy act or funny DVD- because laughter is the best medicine.

One of those tiny, portable fish scales- for remembering to weigh the fish in her life and toss back the ones that need to be tossed back:)

I remember making multiple calls home as a young adult. They always began, "How do you cook...?" So I would include a few family recipes.

Or recipes, plus a certificate for a home-cooked casserole.

Emergency sewing kit. Plus a certificate for parent-made repairs.

Emergency tool kit. Plus a certificate for parent- made repairs.

Adulthood does not have to be sudden and complete. It is less scary if kids recognize it as a process.

Wow, what a great idea!

And I'm impressed with all the creative, quick-thinking ideas here.  :hurray:

As for the voter's guide - I'd suggest stopping by your local Secretary of State office and see if they have brochures available, or try their website for a printable pdf.  It's possible the SOS office would have a pocket Constitution, too.  Or maybe your library has some?

• 2 weeks later...

I love these.  I wish I had thought to do this with my older two.  Their 18th birthdays were somewhat anti-climactic.  Would it be bad if I did it for dd in 4 years, but didn't do it for the others?  Man, I could have done it for a 21st birthday.  There is still time for one kid. 

Go ahead and do it for your dd. :)