Menu

Concert tickets as Christmas gift?

Miss Peregrine

Absolutely! I think that a cultural experience makes for a wonderful gift compared to an item which might end up not being used, broken, relegated to the closet, or donated. Memories are for a lifetime.

My goal is less stuff, more experiences, for sure. 

Another dd is getting tickets to Wicked but that is in Feb or March, I forget, so not so long of a wait. I just wasn't sure. 

If it is for the favorite group of the recipient, yes, do it...

Concerts make for memories. I had to stay in Bogota, 2 extra nights, to attend a 2nd concert (May 2009), because we were given free tickets for the 2nd concert...  

That was the last concert I attended (they were nearby in June 2014 but we had out of town company that weekend and I couldn't go)

There are lots of memories that go with attending a concert and it is something I look forward to doing again.

Whether I pay for the tickets or am very lucky and am given free tickets, the experience is incredible.

The recipient of your gift will look forward to this concert!

Get them as close to the center of the stage as you can. I was standing in the front row at the 2nd concert (the most expensive tickets here in Colombia do not have seats, everyone stands) and I could "see" the words flowing out of the mouth of my favorite singer.

BTW: One should never attend a concert alone.  Buy two (2) tickets!  Or more...  The young woman who sat to my right during the first concert was standing to my right during the 2nd concert. I don't remember what the cause was, but before I realized what was happening, they had her over the barrier and on her way to the Red Cross station. They were afraid she had Appendicitis and they sent her in one of the ambulances that was standing by, to a local hospital. She was at the concert by herself. One of the women in our group went with her to the hospital, because she was there alone.   (They were concerned about me, because of my age, and one of the youngest people in our group went to the hospital...)

If it is for the favorite group of the recipient, yes, do it...

Concerts make for memories. I had to stay in Bogota, 2 extra nights, to attend a 2nd concert (May 2009), because we were given free tickets for the 2nd concert...  

That was the last concert I attended (they were nearby in June 2014 but we had out of town company that weekend and I couldn't go)

There are lots of memories that go with attending a concert and it is something I look forward to doing again.

Whether I pay for the tickets or am very lucky and am given free tickets, the experience is incredible.

The recipient of your gift will look forward to this concert!

Get them as close to the center of the stage as you can. I was standing in the front row at the 2nd concert (the most expensive tickets here in Colombia do not have seats, everyone stands) and I could "see" the words flowing out of the mouth of my favorite singer.

BTW: One should never attend a concert alone.  Buy two (2) tickets!  Or more...  The young woman who sat to my right during the first concert was standing to my right during the 2nd concert. I don't remember what the cause was, but before I realized what was happening, they had her over the barrier and on her way to the Red Cross station. They were afraid she had Appendicitis and they sent her in one of the ambulances that was standing by, to a local hospital. She was at the concert by herself. One of the women in our group went with her to the hospital, because she was there alone.   (They were concerned about me, because of my age, and one of the youngest people in our group went to the hospital...)

It is Idina Menzel and dd will be thrilled, although looking at the prices, Im not sure if she will even be able to see her on the stage, lol.

Speaking of attending concerts alone, Dh and I were talking about concerts last night and he told me he went to a RATT concert alone in the 80's. I was practically crying from laughing so hard. I told him that was the saddest of the sads.

you get to look forward to it for months! It's awesome. like trips - the anticipation of the trip makes people immensely happy, sometimes even happier than the trip itself.

"a psychological study about the connection between anticipation and happiness was published online in a journal called Applied Research in Quality of Life. The authors of the study, researchers from the Netherlands, interviewed more than 1,500 people, including 974 vacationers, and found that the vacationers felt most happy before their trips."  source

Looks like I'm the Lone Dissenter yet again. :D

I think it depends on the concert.

I can picture getting tickets to see an artist I thought was wonderful in December, but whom I didn't really want to see any more by the next October.

Personally, I wouldn't really want a gift for an event that was almost a year away, but only you know how your dd might feel about it.

So many things can change in that much time. She might end up not even using the tickets.

The last few years we have pretty much switched to only giving tickets to my young adult son (and a few gift cards to restaurants). It is all he wants; annual passes to the zoo, tix for comedy shows, plays, musicals, etc. He would much rather have experiences then stuff. He is just not a material kid.

Looks like I'm the Lone Dissenter yet again. :D

I think it depends on the concert.

I can picture getting tickets to see an artist I thought was wonderful in December, but whom I didn't really want to see any more by the next October.

Personally, I wouldn't really want a gift for an event that was almost a year away, but only you know how your dd might feel about it.

So many things can change in that much time. She might end up not even using the tickets.

I can understand that. I've pretty much decided to switch to Phantom tickets. I can afford those. :D