Menu

Speak to me of frugal holiday gifts for young adults?

Jenny in Florida

My husband got word last week of a big reorganization at his company that makes his job situation iffy a few months from now. He's got a lot of irons in the fire, and I'm working (although not earning enough to come close to replacing his income). So, while we're not panicking yet, we are doing our best to prepare as best we can. All of which means that we need to be thoughtful about our holiday gifting this year.

For the first time in years, I've got some time to do some crafting, but I'm completely drawing a blank for ideas. 

My daughter is 19 and moved out about six months ago. She's living in NYC with a couple of roommates, working two and a half jobs and attending school part-time. She has limited space, having already left several boxes of stuff in our garage when she moved. She likes clothes and needs some cool weather stuff, but will probably have mostly taken care of that by the time Christmas rolls around. (I am crocheting her a scarf, but it's not a surprise, and I plan to give it to her when she's home for Thanksgiving.) She loves to read, but now that she's not living here, I can't keep up with what she does and doesn't have. We bought her a new smartphone over the summer before she left and keep her on our phone plan. 

My son is 16 and in his first year of college. He lives on campus and comes home a couple of weekends a month. He, too, has very limited space in his room and already has everything he "needs." He's going to school in state (Florida). So, he doesn't need any cold weather or specialty gear. He's a dancer, dual majoring in dance and musical theatre. He also loves to read, but he has limited time now that he's in school. He, too, got a new smartphone over the summer. 

In a normal year, we would look at giving each of them some kind of cool experience (trip, tickets to a show, etc.), but that requires more money than we can count on having. Ditto with gift cards and such. 

So, hit me with it, Hive: What can we give these young adults for Christmas that doesn't take up much space and costs as little as possible but will be fun and/or meaningful?

(I did see the Wallet Ninja someone posted before, and I plan to order one of those for my son, but we will need a few more things.)

An honest talk and an IOU? Perhaps a tiny nod to the day, but tell them ahead of time about the situation and let them know that when things are back to normal you'll all go out to a show together.

This issue with this approach is that my husband is the gift-focused person in our household. The rest of us would take this with good grace, watch a lot of Christmas DVDs from the library, bake some cookies and get on with our lives, but my husband would be miserable and make the rest of us miserable, too. I need to find some gifts to put under the tree so that he can feel like it's Christmas and let the rest of us enjoy the season.

(Plus, my daughter isn't home to go to a show with us any time except during the holidays. Once Christmas is over, we probably won't see her for months.)

How about writing down favorite family recipes and making a little cookbook? You can make it as fancy (color photos, nice binding etc.) or plain as you like (and finances/time allow). A small book wouldn't take up much space and I think having these recipes would be something to treasure for a long time. I for example really regret that my mother (who has passed away) never gave me the recipes for some of my favorite childhood recipes.

My mom compiled recipes of meals she often made for us and illustrated the book with funny photos of us when we were kids. She put the pages in sheet protectors and added a pack of empty sheet protectors in the back so I can fill them with recipes I find. I love it and still use it. It's packed with my favorite recipes now. I'm sure it didnt cost her more than $10 and it is the most treasured gift I've ever received from her.

In your otherwise busy schedule you need to find some time for shopping :D- sales, the dollar stores, thrift stores. You can find your dd something to wear that is cool and doesn't cost much. I bought great boots for dd at Urban Outfitter online for $20.00 last year. Look for free shipping days. Can you find something local that is interesting and not so expensive for ds to attend? An interesting poster for his room? A throwback funny toy he used to get when he was younger? In our case a small lego is always *Christmas* to ds. How about favorite dvds on sale so they can have their own.Wrap everything fabulously. Use leftover fabric, or brown paper bags with notions you have at home for trim. Decide on your budget and buy one nicer thing and several dollar store type things. The kids will know your financial situation and your husband will be happy they have stuff to open.  

Or just do the cheapie fun dollar store type stuff and have the whole family go on some kind of adventure while you are all home together. I like this idea!

Mostly have fun! Watch movies, go to the beach, whatever your family likes to do. The kids are mostly not home now so they will love the things that used to be routine. They will be so happy just to relax at *home* for a while.

Is she living in Manhatten? I ask because when my niece lived there, she found food shopping and planning to be a challenge due to her work schedule, walking a bit of a distance to the subway, etc. She would leave home at 7 a.m. and not get home until 8 p.m. often. So she liked things like granola, dried fruit, honey roasted cashews, canned tuna and chicken to make quick sandwiches with, etc...things that wouldn't go bad and were a fast eat when she got home.

She probably walks a lot. What about those pocket hand and toe warmers that you open and they instantly warm and stay that way for a couple of hours. Those are cheap, and she'd probably really like them. Some sample sizes of specialty coffee if she is a caffeine addict like me, :D. Another option, if you have a photo quality color printer or can use a groupon coupon for shutterfly is a collage print of family photos with a dollar store frame might be very appreciated.

What I'd do--budget about $50--is that too much? So...

$5  Family photos in a collage frame. It's a little bit of home they will appreciate! Childhood photos are fun--if it was a good childhood. Make color copies of happy times if you need to.  Dollar store or discount store frame (maybe with Michael's 50% off coupon if you want nicer).

$15  Poster for wall--check Ikea--they have great stuff that's very nice

$5  A used book or two (really cheap) or a used video of something classic they might enjoy (or old cartoons...lol)

$3  An affirmation jar (small mason jar with some sweet things you enjoy about them). I'd only do this if it were part of their love language

$20  Something they've asked for

I love the idea of a recipe book--we have one from my mil that I cherish. It has sections for several types of foods that she made frequently--breads, main dishes, desserts--and each section contains a memory page where she writes about her own childhood. There's an Easter page, a Christmas page, etc. Her artist son made some artwork incorporating old photos. She put everything in a binder and in page protectors. It really is a treasure.

Thanks so much, all. The brainstorming is helping a lot!

A few things I probably should have mentioned up front:

• My daughter will be flying home and flying back to NY. So, we can't give her anything bulky, fragile or perishable to carry on the plane.
  • We don't do wish lists. Our family tradition is that "presents" are things you don't ask for. I've had a number of years when I would have liked to change that approach, but it's ingrained at this point. Given the emotional baggage gifting has for my husband, this isn't the year to make that kind of change.
  • My daughter is currently doing well, financially. She has to be careful with her money, but she's probably got more discretionary income than we do. She pretty much fully outfitted her room/apartment when she moved in a few months ago. We also gave her cooking/baking supplies for Christmas last year. She is very particular about what she wears and what she brings into her home and has the money to buy the things she really wants/needs.
  • My son has the unlimited food plan on his campus and lives about 25 steps from the main dining hall. He already has a microwave and mini-fridge in his dorm room that he rarely uses, because he finds it easier and more efficient to eat from the cafeteria. Beyond an occasional bag of chips or a box of protein bars, he's not interested in extra food.
  • We fitted out and decorated his dorm room pretty completely back in August. He's already bought himself a couple of additional posters for his walls.
  • Neither of them drives.

You all did remind me that I have been promising my kids since they were little that, when each one moved out, I would make copies of my recipe collection they could take with them. My daughter has called a couple of times asking for recipes, but I hadn't gotten around to making her a book. So, that could definitely go under the tree this year, especially if I lay out the pages nicely and put in a nice binder. Very good thought, thanks!

Is she living in Manhatten? I ask because when my niece lived there, she found food shopping and planning to be a challenge due to her work schedule, walking a bit of a distance to the subway, etc. She would leave home at 7 a.m. and not get home until 8 p.m. often. So she liked things like granola, dried fruit, honey roasted cashews, canned tuna and chicken to make quick sandwiches with, etc...things that wouldn't go bad and were a fast eat when she got home.

She probably walks a lot. What about those pocket hand and toe warmers that you open and they instantly warm and stay that way for a couple of hours. Those are cheap, and she'd probably really like them. Some sample sizes of specialty coffee if she is a caffeine addict like me, :D. Another option, if you have a photo quality color printer or can use a groupon coupon for shutterfly is a collage print of family photos with a dollar store frame might be very appreciated.

She lives in Brooklyn and commutes to Manhattan several days a week. She has a small market across the street and a natural foods co-op within easy walking distance of her apartment, though. There is also a nice market across the street from her primary job. So, it's pretty easy for her to shop. She often preps a large batch of something on her day off and uses that for lunches and dinners a few times during the week. When she's stuck for lunch, she usually makes a quick run to the market for a hummus pack and crackers or something like that.

She's already got a photo collage she assembled before she moved. And I sent her a framed photo of the dog in one of the first care packages, because she was missing her so much.

I do love the hand warmer idea, though, especially since she hates gloves and mittens. Very good thought!

Jenny,

The last time I was in Boston on a very wet day, there were puddles and urban streams everywhere.  All the girls wore rubber boots.  Does your daughter have something along that line?  Slogger boots and clogs are not that expensive.

http://www.sloggers.com/Rain-and-Garden-Shoes-s/1824.htm

My minimalist son does not want a lot of stuff. He loves homemade socks so this is one of those useful things that I can provide.  When he was in the dorm, I sent him a couple of games that were appreciated by all in the suite.  Perhaps your son would also enjoy a game like Bananagrams.  It is quick and offers a nice break from studies.

Jane

For your dd--a winter hat? Or just a headband (or two) to cover her ears when it's cold? New earrings?

Would either of your dc use yoga socks if you made them?

One year SIL gave FIL newspaper clippings of his favorite comic strip--Garfield. It was a hit with him as he and MIL didn't get the paper. Plus it was cheap--SIL was already getting the paper. And disposable--whose going to keep a bunch of newspaper comic strips? I know this wouldn't work if you don't get the paper but maybe it will inspire some other frugal ideas.

Jenny,

The last time I was in Boston on a very wet day, there were puddles and urban streams everywhere.  All the girls wore rubber boots.  Does your daughter have something along that line?  Slogger boots and clogs are not that expensive.

My minimalist son does not want a lot of stuff. He loves homemade socks so this is one of those useful things that I can provide.  When he was in the dorm, I sent him a couple of games that were appreciated by all in the suite.  Perhaps your son would also enjoy a game like Bananagrams.  It is quick and offers a nice break from studies.

Jane

Yes, she just bought herself waterproof boots a couple of weeks ago.

I like the sock idea. I don't knit, though. (I tried again to teach myself a couple of years ago and finally gave up.) I do crochet. Do you happen to know of any links to patterns/instructions for crocheting socks?

Jenny,

Jane

They seriously need to make those Sloggers in clear so we can show off our hand-knit socks. :thumbup1:

Yes, she just bought herself waterproof boots a couple of weeks ago.

I like the sock idea. I don't knit, though. (I tried again to teach myself a couple of years ago and finally gave up.) I do crochet. Do you happen to know of any links to patterns/instructions for crocheting socks?

Cinder beat me to the Ravelry link.  Perhaps you should ask in another thread since I am sure the crocheters would chime in.

They seriously need to make those Sloggers in clear so we can show off our hand-knit socks. :thumbup1:

Off topic but there is a company that does make clear boots and sells funky fabric liners:

http://www.thetwoalitystore.com/browse/starter

You all did remind me that I have been promising my kids since they were little that, when each one moved out, I would make copies of my recipe collection they could take with them. My daughter has called a couple of times asking for recipes, but I hadn't gotten around to making her a book. So, that could definitely go under the tree this year, especially if I lay out the pages nicely and put in a nice binder. Very good thought, thanks!

I've done a recipe book for two young adults in our extended family and both have been appreciative. If you make it look good while still being practical, it will be something they can eventually pass down someday.

Someone mentioned it, but a Kindle will last for a long time and be something that reminds them of you every time they use it. Amazon just released a new one so if you wait for holiday sales, the older ones should be included - though the Touch is only $79 right now. (There's a kindle guide at the bottom of this page if you're not sure about the differences)

Alternatively, look on groupon or livingsocial or similar sites for things in their city, and get something fun with enough tickets or whatever that they can bring a friend. That way they can have an experience that they'll remember with someone they choose to share it with, and you can feel like you're not just buying them something random or giving them money.

http://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Woods-Valencia-Antique-Recipe/dp/B00250YMWU/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1415090574&sr=8-13&keywords=recipe+box

http://www.amazon.com/Create-Collected-Recipes-Cookbook-Organizer/dp/B004WHF188/ref=sr_1_36?ie=UTF8&qid=1415090638&sr=8-36&keywords=recipe+box

http://www.amazon.com/Tatutina-Recipe-Box-Silver-Oven/dp/B0013A9RH8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415091002&sr=8-1&keywords=tatutina

I have done recipe boxes for each of my kids as they have moved out. They include family favorites, common substitutions, recipes for simple things like iced tea, etc. It is something that is treasured and a piece of home. I handwrite the cards, and make sure the instructions are very clear, so it takes some time. The expense is minimal, but the value is great. There is a huge variety of ways it can be presented, like the ideas others have mentioned, and also the above examples.

http://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Woods-Valencia-Antique-Recipe/dp/B00250YMWU/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1415090574&sr=8-13&keywords=recipe+box

http://www.amazon.com/Create-Collected-Recipes-Cookbook-Organizer/dp/B004WHF188/ref=sr_1_36?ie=UTF8&qid=1415090638&sr=8-36&keywords=recipe+box

http://www.amazon.com/Tatutina-Recipe-Box-Silver-Oven/dp/B0013A9RH8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415091002&sr=8-1&keywords=tatutina

I have done recipe boxes for each of my kids as they have moved out. They include family favorites, common substitutions, recipes for simple things like iced tea, etc. It is something that is treasured and a piece of home. I handwrite the cards, and make sure the instructions are very clear, so it takes some time. The expense is minimal, but the value is great. There is a huge variety of ways it can be presented, like the ideas others have mentioned, and also the above examples.

Those are gorgeous!

I'll probably stick with the three-ring binder, since that's what I use (and my handwriting is most definitely not up to the challenge of your approach), but those are heirlooms waiting to be born.

Those are gorgeous!

I'll probably stick with the three-ring binder, since that's what I use (and my handwriting is most definitely not up to the challenge of your approach), but those are heirlooms waiting to be born.

You can do them as a photo book too. :)

If you sew, flannel or fun fabric PJ pants?

Fingerless gloves are very stylish right now, and something that you could knit for your DD.

I love the recipe idea, and also, could you make a small photo album for each of them with copies of family pictures from their whole lives?  I wish that I had something like that to enjoy.

Also, even though I think it is generally kind of squicky to give used items for gifts, collectibles and antiques are the exception.  Why not scour your local thrift stores for things like that?  And consider how to repurpose them, also.  I have an antique cigarette case that I use for business cards--it's elegant and perfect.  China brass is always nice. 

If you use credit cards, maybe look at getting an affinity card for a place that sells what you like to gift.  Our credit cards include Costco, REI, and Nordstrom, and that's great because those are places that we actually like to shop.  I can buy gas and build up credits at any of these places at the same time.

Do you have a credit card with unused miles on it? If so, you could exchange them for a night at a nearby hotel. Tell the kids that the night is for a hot-tub or swim party with a couple of their best friends - a welcome change in the dead of winter. Wrap up a new towel to go with your note and let them choose the date themselves.