Menu

"Paired Costumes" Ideas for little kids

mathmarm

I would ask the 4 year old what she wants to be and work from there. IME, kids have very specific Halloween costume ideas. lol 

Common Themes for sibs:

Dorothy and Toto

Tinkerbell and Peter Pan

Robin Hood and Maid Marion

Princess and Snowman (Frozen) ;)  Seeing that lots. After Pail and Shovel, you might not want to consider this. lol

DS had planned to the be the Man in the Yellow Hat, and DD was going to be Curious George.  That plan has gone out the window, but it would have been cute!

My sister and her fiance went as Curious George and the Man in the Yellow Hat one year. She had to be the Man because he didn't own any yellow!

A couple of years ago our kids were a shark and a scuba diver.

Oh!  Another one: My oldest and closest friend is very tall (6'11" - I'm talking very, very tall), and I am very short (4'10" on a good day).  We always intended to go as the Jolly Green Giant and the Pea.  :)  Not sure a little person would get that reference though!

My girls love to do themed costumes. So far we've had: Little Bo Peep and Sheep, Bumble Bee and Ladybug, Explorer and Giraffe, and Snow Princess and Unicorn. This year we are doing a family costume and going as characters from Pocahontas (Disney version). YDD is Pocahontas, ODD is the hummingbird, I'm the raccoon, and DH is John Smith. Next year my girls already have theirs planned and YDD will be an Autumn Fairy and ODD will be an owl (we bought their costumes resale because they were so cute). Some other ideas I can think of are Cowgirl and Pony, Princess and Frog, and Dalmatian and Firefighter.

If my dds were 5 years younger, they would make a great Elsa and Anna from Frozen (I'm sure many little girls are that this year). My 11 yo is making her own Olaf costume. 14 yo won't trick or treat but may still want a costume--11 yo wants her to be Sven the reindeer. So while all the little girls are Elsa and Anna, mine will be Olaf and Sven!

In past years they've been princesses, black labs, Viking girls (crazy home schoolers), Lucy from Prince Caspian, Angry Birds (whole family), Dorothy and Glinda.

I would ask the 4 year old what she wants to be and work from there. IME, kids have very specific Halloween costume ideas. lol 

For my niece, open ended questioning is a nightmare scenario waiting to be unleashed.

Finally, after much, much, much trial and error we have finally learned that the way it works around here is we give options A-G and she chooses from among them.

We did a conductor with a cardboard box "train" that went over the shoulders and a railroad crossing gate (one arm was the red/white striped gate arm, a headband with a "crossing light" fixed to it, and the big Railroad Crossing X afixed to the shirt).