Menu

Ranch dressing on pizza?

Momling

When did this become a thing? I'd never heard of putting it on pizza until I started doing foster care and most of the kids we've had have demanded ranch salad dressing on pretty much everything including pizza. Is it a generational thing? Regional? Socioeconomic? Am I missing out on something delicious?

The local pizza chain gives you little cups of dip (for the crusts, I guess), one of the choices being ranch. It's pretty good. Not being particularly in the take-out pizza loop, I noticed this first maybe 10 years ago? Not sure how long it's been a thing.

I started putting ranch dressing on pizza (or rather dipping my pizza in ranch dressing) nearly 30 years ago because a friend of mine was doing it.  But he was not originally from my area so I don't know if it was a regional thing from where he originally came from or not (and i don't recall where that was).  Now my kids love ranch dressing on their pizza, but I don't remember teaching them to do it since I don't usually do it anymore.  Maybe they got it from friends at school or their cousins?  I honestly don't know.

All this to say that I think it has been around in certain areas for a while but perhaps it is just now becoming more common in your area?

I had the BEST pizza the other day.  It was called "Chicken in a Pickle" and it had a garlic sauce instead of the tomato sauce.  Then it was topped with chicken, cheese, ranch dressing and chopped dill pickles.  It sounds really weird but it was really really good.

On the pizza itself?

When I was in grad school at Texas A&M during the late 80s, dipping pizza crust in ranch dressing was A Thing.

It was a big thing with bread sticks and pizza crust when I was in college in Texas in 87/88.  It's pretty tasty but I don't think it would be good on the actual sauce/cheese part of the pizza.

I abhor ranch dressing anywhere, anytime, on anything.

But yes, this does seem to be a thing. My niece and nephew love it.

One more layer of fat. As if pizza isn't already full of fat. I don't get it but admittedly I am seriously biased against ranch dressing in the first place.

I've had chicken ranch pizza before. I hate it - dh loves it. If a pizza has to take on an alter ego I would prefer alfredo sauce.

I got some pizza from a buffet once thinking it was alfredo. Nope-ranch. I do not like ranch anything. It was hard to be a grown-up and not spit it out.