Menu

do you require your teens to carry id?

hornblower

If your teens are going jogging or biking around the neighbourhood for fun or errands or fitness, do you require them to take a wallet or some id? Ds likes going for bike rides but never takes a wallet or a phone & I keep half-joking don't get hit by a car. Because really, if he did, how would I find out...  esp if he was knocked unconscious?

So what say you, hive? Over protective anxious mama, or reasonable thing to do?

My kids bicycles has a license plate looking ID bought from ToysRUs that says their name. I could add in other details but I didn't as I'm with them when biking. It helps because their bikes are common models and gets mixed up at the park.

It's similar to this image

http://www.tagdesigns.com/images/plates/CAred.jpg

Maybe ask him to take a phone? Mine are not even pre-teens. The teens here carry cellphones just in case someone need a ride home.

Yes. But, pedestrians and bike riders are hit by cars here at an alarming rate (we know 8 people who have been hit by cars while riding their bikes). I even bought my dh one of these:

http://www.roadid.com

Oh, I like those!

Yeah, I live in the big rainy city: crappy visibility, loopy drivers &  lots of traffic =  lots of vehicle v. ped & vehicle v. bike accidents.

Yes. I had a good friend end up in the hospital as a John Doe for three days after a head injury bicycling. He had no id on him, his roommate thought he had gone home for the weekend, and he was found unconscious and then put into a medically induced coma to bring down swelling.  When he didn't show up for classes on Monday, roommate finally alerted the police and they were able to identify him and contact his parents.

In my city, there is, on average, a severe bicycle accident weekly. I have had several (crazy triathelete) friends be hit and injured severely enough to require hospitalization.

This thread is getting me thinking...a small saddle bag is going to find its way into DS's stocking at Christmas...I think I'll stick an emergency contact card with health id etc in it. DH always takes his license and health card with him when he bikes alone; we really should have something for DS too. I won't worry about it when he runs, though.

Yes. But, pedestrians and bike riders are hit by cars here at an alarming rate (we know 8 people who have been hit by cars while riding their bikes). I even bought my dh one of these:

http://www.roadid.com

Add one more person to your list. Ds was hit by a car last year while out cycling. Yes. Ds carries ID and always will when out exercising. All my kids will.

My kids bicycles has a license plate looking ID bought from ToysRUs that says their name. I could add in other details but I didn't as I'm with them when biking. It helps because their bikes are common models and gets mixed up at the park.

It's similar to this image

http://www.tagdesigns.com/images/plates/CAred.jpg

Maybe ask him to take a phone? Mine are not even pre-teens. The teens here carry cellphones just in case someone need a ride home.

One of the few "keeping your kids safe" things I have ever paid attention to is not having your child's name visable. I know (from wearing a name tag) how you can assume someone addressing you by name is someone you know. Ds7 has someone roses name on his bike - it is the son of my ex boss so if they contacted him he would call me I guess.

No.

(1) It's highly unlikely anything would happen in our neighborhood or the adjacent neighborhood, and

(2) If something did happen, there are enough people who know everybody that I feel sure we'd find out quickly.

If oldest starts running around his college, I would like for him to carry some ID.  So far he's limited his running there to the treadmill, though.

They will as soon as the state id that we spent two hours in line for this morning comes in the mail. Before now, the only true id they had was their passport and I don't let that out without a good reason because replacing it is such a pain. Replacing a state id isn't nearly so much hassle.

We don't live in a bad neighborhood but there are lots of cars and we are near a major road. I would feel better knowing that they had id so someone could find me if necessary.

You've got me thinking...when I first read the title, injury never crossed my mind. As the mom of a tall, strapping teenage son, I have insisted he carry ID ever since the day he was stopped by police for not walking his bike through an intersection. He was unaware of the rules, since that was his first time crossing a 6-lane road. When he told them he was only 14 or 15 at the time, they let him go, but it would have been nice to have ID to prove his age and that he lived in the neighborhood.

People unfortunately tend to expect the worst from teens in public, particularly males. Especially in an area unfriendly and/or unfamiliar with homeschooling, I wouldn't want our family scruitinizes because our child was inadvertently in the wrong place at the wrong time without ID.

Yes, my teen carries ID. 

When my brother & I were teens, one of his friends was killed in a car accident. There were four teens killed. None of them had ID. My brother's friend's mother had to identify his body. His was the fourth one she looked at. 

Everyone in my family carries ID. Always.

My eldest is 13 and not physically inclined.  However, I am insistent she take her phone whenever she is separated from trusted adults.

As for the ID: she's going to get one when she's 14.  Period.  Some of my nephews & nieces are officially foster, and anyone age 14 and older who hangs out regularly with them has to be background-checked, which requires an ID.  Even the teen cousin living with them (her parents are the foster parents) had to be processed -- CPS requires it.  I hadn't thought of IDs until I heard this, but my kids will each get them at age 14 because of it, and since they will have them I'll expect them to carry them.  There should then be no excuse for ever forgetting their driver's licenses, once they get them.

Incidentally, I also put a first aid info app on their phones, noting that they are allergic to amoxicillin, and noting which contacts in their phones to call first.  Just in case.

One of the few "keeping your kids safe" things I have ever paid attention to is not having your child's name visable.

I agree with you but here kids tend to wear name tags for every event. My kids have worn name tags for field trips, outside classes and YMCA activities.

What I learn from safety classes is that people who are out to harm just need to sit around and remember when caregivers or friends calling out the kids names. I know bored friends who could memorise all the kids names at the park just by listening to parents call their kids.

My kids names are also very common so they ignore even us (parents) when we call.

"Phone and wallet" every time he leaves the house. And, yes, I also admit to be an anxious momma. It's no trouble to him (thin wallet with ID, cash and meds, and a tiny dumb phone). In addition to peace of mind, it's a good habit to get into for driving. Police aren't super tolerant of forgetting your license. Our cars are getting old. And sometimes he goes places with my elderly father.

Before he had an ID, he had a business card he could tuck in his pocket with name, address and emergency contact numbers. We mostly only used that when we were traveling, though he still has it in his wallet.

One of the few "keeping your kids safe" things I have ever paid attention to is not having your child's name visable. I know (from wearing a name tag) how you can assume someone addressing you by name is someone you know. Ds7 has someone roses name on his bike - it is the son of my ex boss so if they contacted him he would call me I guess.

I talked to my kids and specifically told them not to assume someone who calls them by name knows them. They seem to understand that. Luckily (?) many adults can never seem to pronounce my kids' names right no matter how many times one repeats so chances are low.

I think it depends where one lives, too, frankly. My kids also need to learn to function in society and talk to adults, and in our subculture, speaking briefly to adults you don't know is....expected, just as it is for adults. I encourage them to shake hands too. Going off alone with them, certainly not.

I would think a tag on a bicycle with a phone number could be a good idea. But in an emergency requiring the person to be taken to the hospital, the bicycle could be left behind or taken elsewhere. Why not something in the helmet as well?