Menu

Holy Cannolli!! Why so expensive!!

Home'scool

My sister and I have been talking about taking a nice, relaxing, slow-paced vacation together. Something where we don't have to worry about crowds, figuring out where to go and how to get there, or a lot of activity.

We hit upon the idea of a river cruise. Something along the Mississippi perhaps. We just want to sit and chat and watch the world go by.

These cruises are even more expensive than the large, fancy cruise ships!!! 9 days for a room with a balcony is over $5000 per person!

Has anyone ever been on one of the river cruises? It literally looks perfect for our wants but the price is just so prohibitive. What a bummer. :(

My sister and I have been talking about taking a nice, relaxing, slow-paced vacation together. Something where we don't have to worry about crowds, figuring out where to go and how to get there, or a lot of activity.

We hit upon the idea of a river cruise. Something along the Mississippi perhaps. We just want to sit and chat and watch the world go by.

These cruises are even more expensive than the large, fancy cruise ships!!! 9 days for a room with a balcony is over $5000 per person!

Has anyone ever been on one of the river cruises? It literally looks perfect for our wants but the price is just so prohibitive. What a bummer. :(

You could rent a houseboat on the Erie Canal.

Seven (7) nights costs $2400. "** Rates include fuel, tolls, orientation and cleaning. Customer must have additional liability insurance or purchase it for $75 from the marina. Tax is extra. A $500 security deposit is due on arrival."

http://www.houseboating.org/Erie-Canal-Houseboat-Prices

You could rent a houseboat on the Erie Canal.

Seven (7) nights costs $2400. "** Rates include fuel, tolls, orientation and cleaning. Customer must have additional liability insurance or purchase it for $75 from the marina. Tax is extra. A $500 security deposit is due on arrival."

http://www.houseboating.org/Erie-Canal-Houseboat-Prices

That looks like fun. I wonder how hard it is to drive a houseboat?

That looks like fun. I wonder how hard it is to drive a houseboat?

From the website:

How difficult is driving a canal boat?

Driving a canal boat t is different than driving a car, but is not that difficult. The marina staff will also walk you through driving the boat when you pick it up. Most people get the hand of maneuvering the boat within a few minutes. You will be taken through your first set of locks during your orientation so that you are comfortable operating them on your own.

I wouldn't have thought it was that expensive.

The big cruise ship companies avoid a lot of regulation through loopholes, flagging, etc. Maybe the river cruises are subject to much more regulation and taxation?

The Mississippi is iconic; can you find something on a smaller, lesser known river?

The American Queen Steamboat company travels down the Ohio River at regular intervals, and stops at our hometown.

We took a homeschool field trip on board once--I thought they said it was only $1K for the week.

Not fancy like a cruise ship, but slow-paced travel & lots of stops.

http://www.americanqueensteamboatcompany.com/Destination/ohio-tennessee-rivers/

This is showing 9 days at $2600 or so.  I share your surprise!

I think a shorter duration would save $$, but sorry for the sticker shock, because it is a nice (but think "classic older" rather than "new") surroundings.

We really thought we had hit on a grand idea because it is an older crowd and we thought it would be less expensive because you don't have all the bells and whistles that the large cruise ships have. I would like to not have an indoor cabin and that just shoots the price up so much!

But I guess for all the reasons you ladies gave it makes sense that it would be so expensive.

Any other ideas for two old bitties who just want to sit and knit and watch the world go by for a few days? :)

We really thought we had hit on a grand idea because it is an older crowd and we thought it would be less expensive because you don't have all the bells and whistles that the large cruise ships have. I would like to not have an indoor cabin and that just shoots the price up so much!

But I guess for all the reasons you ladies gave it makes sense that it would be so expensive.

Any other ideas for two old bitties who just want to sit and knit and watch the world go by for a few days? :)

Rent the houseboat. I will be your captain and drive you two for the low, low price of room and board. :-)

We were blessed to cruise on the American Queen back in 1997. Dh's grandparents were celebrating their 60th wedding anniversary and took the whole family. It was an incredible week. It is expensive for all of the reasons stated above--smaller boats, American registry. The experience was so magical. The cruise was filled with mostly retirees; if you're looking for flash and excitement, this is not what you're looking for. But if you want to sit in a rocking chair on the "front porch of America" eating soft-serve ice cream, reading your book, and watching the world drift by at 8 miles per hour, this could be for you. Worth saving your money for!

Can you go for a shorter time period and still shop around. Perhaps late fall cruises will get less expensive?

The fancy cruise ships in the Caribbean Sea pay their employees very little and treat them like slaves. If you are on a Cruise in U.S. waters, they are probably required to pay U.S. Minimum Wage, with all of the other costs involved for U.S. employees.

In 1997, I stayed in a Hotel in Miami where it turned out that RCCL housed their employees who were sick or needed surgery. I spoke with a woman from India, who worked on an RCCL ship. She was a university graduate. I believe her basic salary was about USD$50 per month. The rest she made from tips. They are exhausted at all times and if they complain they are told there are 500 other people who want their job, which is true.

We were blessed to cruise on the American Queen back in 1997. Dh's grandparents were celebrating their 60th wedding anniversary and took the whole family. It was an incredible week. It is expensive for all of the reasons stated above--smaller boats, American registry. The experience was so magical. The cruise was filled with mostly retirees; if you're looking for flash and excitement, this is not what you're looking for. But if you want to sit in a rocking chair on the "front porch of America" eating soft-serve ice cream, reading your book, and watching the world drift by at 8 miles per hour, this could be for you. Worth saving your money for!

That does sound nice, but you know except for the river, I can do that on my own front porch. I'll even throw in an old man riding a John Deere lawnmower on the road for effect. 

Except for the fact I'm not keen on housing strangers in my house, I could do this business. I could charge more on parade week as the parade queues up on my street. I could give tours of the pear tree in my yard as an "activity".