Menu

Someone Spilled Water On My Laptop and Ruined It!

JumpyTheFrog

On August 4 I was at gymnastics and a woman spilled water all over my laptop. I got up and went to the bathroom to get paper towels and wipe it up. It wouldn't turn back on. When I got back, two friends sitting at the same table said that water had gotten through the cracks in the table (the seam where the leaves meet) and got all over my purse. My tote bag under the table had enough water in it that I took it to the bathroom to pour it out.

The water spiller, meanwhile, wiped up the table but never apologized. I went home to have DH take my laptop apart. There was water all over the motherboard and everything was wet except the hard drive, which he stuck in an enclosure and hooked up to his computer.

The woman's daughter is at practice every week but I never got a chance to talk to her until Saturday. (I'm sure she saw me a few weeks ago and made no attempt to apologize.) I walked up to her and told her that my laptop was toast. Her response was, "It was an accident, these things happen." I said, "Yes, but if I broke something that belonged to someone else, even on accident, I would offer to pay for it." She said, "I'm not buying you a new laptop." I replied that I didn't want a new one, just the value of what it would sell for used on Craigslist ($350). She said she'd think about it, obviously brushing me off. She also got defensive and said that her laptop broke, too. 

Nowhere in all of this did she ever say, "I'm sorry" or "I feel terrible." DH was there and overheard everything and can't believe how defensive she was, acting like she was the victim and that since it was an accident, she shouldn't have to pay.

What would you do?

Sorry, That is horrible. 

She doesn't sound like a person of great character, so I wouldn't expect her to end up paying for the laptop. Some people wouldn't dream of not  reimbursing you at least in part, some wouldn't have it even cross their mind. But, It was an accident and in that situation, unless she deliberately tried to hurt you or your items, I don't think she is legally responsible. Expensive electronics are just one of those things that, like everything else in life, are fair game to accidents from other people. That is what warranties are for. 

DH wanted me to look into small claims court. It looks like the filing fees are come $150, but I didn't see any categories for damaged property. They had forms for evictions, money owed, and a few others, but nothing that seemed to fit. I couldn't figure out if that meant damaged property needed to be heard elsewhere.

I don't think there is much you can do, unless you want to try small claims court.

Is it possible she was defensive because she knows she should replace it but financially she can't? That won't help you with a new laptop but it might make it easier to not feel angry.

IMO, part of the fault lies with the woman's defensive, less than gracious attitude. In her shoes, I would've apologized and offered to pay part the cost of replacement. The other fault lies with your decision to take a laptop into a dynamic environment, where bodies are flying and there are drinks (and food) present. Sure, people take electronics into such places all the time, but they still assuming the risk of damage.

JMO.

Guest submarines

Yes, if she apologized but said she couldn't afford it, I wouldn't be as upset. The whole defensive attitude was unbelievable.

I can totally relate. Some people on the spectrum won't apologize unless it was actually their fault. If they see what happened as a accident, they don't see the need to apologize. DH is like that, sigh. I learned not to be upset (most of the time.)

I'm so sorry your computer got ruined.

DH wanted me to look into small claims court. It looks like the filing fees are come $150, but I didn't see any categories for damaged property. They had forms for evictions, money owed, and a few others, but nothing that seemed to fit. I couldn't figure out if that meant damaged property needed to be heard elsewhere.

I don't know if you would win.  (edited to fix an misunderstanding in ops story)  Even though she admitted that she spilled water, you would have to prove that it was her water that damaged it (not that you spilled water on it later).  You would have to ask the other two people, to take time out of their day to go to court (presumably have the expense of hiring a babysitter/transportation/parking) to testify for you. And pay a repair shop to make an estimate of repair/replacement costs and provide a receipt of damages/replacement.

Really, it is immature, but peer pressure may get you further. If you have right group of moms, Enlisting them to talk to her about it may get you a bit of compensation.  Helping her to understand what she did is wrong and she ethically should help pay for it, even if she isn't forced to legally.

I don't want you think I am defending her in anyway, she sounds like a turd, but unfortunately it isn't uncommon, and you can't do much about it.

No, my computer wasn't unsupervised. I was sitting there using it and she was next to me (perpendicular) doing something with her water and dumped it over half the table. I have two witnesses that saw it and one tried to take photos showing the water all over the screen and keyboard. There is no doubt that it was her water.

As far as court, I was wondering if it would require my friends to go with me or if they could send written testimony. One is unemployed and the other just started a new job. I don't want to take up their whole day. I don't really want to sue personally because I have a low stress tolerance and it would totally stress me out.

What happened to your laptop is really sad. Something like the thread about the  $250 toddler table that was destroyed by a house guest that is in another thread here on WTM.  It would be nice if she would pay for at least part of what it is going to cost you to buy another laptop.

BTW, during the past 5 months, we purchased 2 Refurbished laptops on Amazon from BlairTG in KY. They have a legal copy of Windows 7 and a one year warranty (except for the battery) in the USA. The first one is my wife's and it has Windows 7 Home, but the second one (mine) has Windows 7 Professional.  I read that Microsoft will support Windows 7 Professional longer than Windows 7 Home. The laptops we purchased are Dell Latitude E6400 which is a model Dell sold to Enterprise customers, so their design and components are a step up from the Consumer models you would see if you went into a store to buy a new laptop. The display has a matte finish so you do not get the glare from lights that you would see on a glossy monitor.  We paid $179  + $8.49 shipping (in the USA) for the first one and $191 + $8.49 shipping in the USA for the second one. In the future, we may buy 1 or 2 more of these for our family from BlairTG. They are a Microsoft Authorized Refurbisher.

I hope that all of the data you had on the hard drive is/was recoverable. Any time there is the loss of a hard drive or a box, the data on the hard drive is what's hard or impossible to replace, if not backed up somewhere else. 

Another annoying part is that gymnastics isn't a cheap sport. Parents pay about $3000 per year per child to compete. It makes me feel like if she can come up with the money for that, she could come up with the money to pay for my laptop.

I'm sorry, but perhaps it's because gymnastics is so expensive, she truly does not have an extra $350 laying around.

I've heard people express similar sentiments before and frankly, I don't understand the logic.    

I'm sorry, but perhaps it's because gymnastics is so expensive, she truly does not have an extra $350 laying around.

I've heard people express similar sentiments before and frankly, I don't understand the logic.    

I understand that maybe she doesn't have the money. I'm not saying she does, it just feels like she could find a way if she wanted to. I certainly wouldn't let Tigger compete if we were so strapped that I couldn't come up with a few hundred dollars if needed. She could always offer to pay part or make payments, but nope. Her attitude made it very clear that she doesn't feel sorry.

Well, it is certainly giving us a good object lesson to discuss with Tigger (age 8). We've had a few discussions about what the right thing to do is. We've also pointed out that when he thinks we're being mean by making him to take responsibility for his actions (like cleaning up after himself), it's because we are trying to prevent him from growing up and acting like that.

It doesn't matter if she doesn't have $350 laying around.  Responsibility to pay for something you damage is just that - a responsibility even if you have to borrow the money.  But sadly others are correct in that you can't compel someone to own up to their responsibility without taking her to small claims court at much time and expense yourself.  

Sorry this happened to you, and that the person wasn't considerate.

Was the lid down when you left it? I've been substitute teaching at the middle school and have seen so much damage done to laptops while sitting on desks or tables that I don't think I'd ever walk away from one that was open or plugged in on a tabletop.

Another annoying part is that gymnastics isn't a cheap sport. Parents pay about $3000 per year per child to compete. It makes me feel like if she can come up with the money for that, she could come up with the money to pay for my laptop.

I understand that maybe she doesn't have the money. I'm not saying she does, it just feels like she could find a way if she wanted to. I certainly wouldn't let Tigger compete if we were so strapped that I couldn't come up with a few hundred dollars if needed. She could always offer to pay part or make payments, but nope. Her attitude made it very clear that she doesn't feel sorry.

The flip side of this is that she may feel that if you can afford gymnastics, you can afford to replace your computer, which you left vulnerable by using it on a table where others had water.  If she was sitting at a communal table, she may feel it was not her place to police the electronics other people had at the table.  How would you have felt if she had asked you to put away the computer because she had a drink and didn't want to take on the risk of damage from potential spills? Isn't it your risk, if you choose to sit at the communal table?

I can see both sides of this.  Yes, she should have been polite.  She was probably taken by surprise that you expected her to buy you a new laptop, and didn't think before she spoke.  I'm sure she has a more nuanced view of the incident and her responsibility in it.

Let it go.  It was an accident.  It's not worth the stress.  It could just as easily have been you spilling the water on her electronics.

The situation really sucks. I'm sorry about your laptop.

Even if you went to small claims court, I'm not sure you would win. If she had poured the water deliberately on your laptop, yes. But you chose to use it on a shared table with open drinks. You knew there was a risk of spillage.

Her behavior after is truly awful. She should have apologized at the very least.

ETA:

I walked up to her and told her that my laptop was toast. Her response was, "It was an accident, these things happen." I said, "Yes, but if I broke something that belonged to someone else, even on accident, I would offer to pay for it." She said, "I'm not buying you a new laptop." I replied that I didn't want a new one, just the value of what it would sell for used on Craigslist ($350). She said she'd think about it, obviously brushing me off. She also got defensive and said that her laptop broke, too.

I don't think I'd expect anything more than "I'll think about it" on the spot like that. I would have been surprised if she had gotten out her checkbook and written you a check for $350 right then and there.

Did she mean that her laptop broke because of the water spill?

No, my computer wasn't unsupervised. I was sitting there using it and she was next to me (perpendicular) doing something with her water and dumped it over half the table. I have two witnesses that saw it and one tried to take photos showing the water all over the screen and keyboard. There is no doubt that it was her water.

As far as court, I was wondering if it would require my friends to go with me or if they could send written testimony. One is unemployed and the other just started a new job. I don't want to take up their whole day. I don't really want to sue personally because I have a low stress tolerance and it would totally stress me out.

oops.  I misunderstood.  I fixed my comment.

If I did that to someone else, I would be horrified.  I would be falling all over myself to apologize.  I would pay for the laptop, even if I had to make payment arrangements. 

This sounds rather cynical, but that lady's attitude is part of what is wrong with our society, a lack of responsibility combined with a lack of respect for others.

Sorry!

The flip side of this is that she may feel that if you can afford gymnastics, you can afford to replace your computer, which you left vulnerable by using it on a table where others had water.  If she was sitting at a communal table, she may feel it was not her place to police the electronics other people had at the table.  How would you have felt if she had asked you to put away the computer because she had a drink and didn't want to take on the risk of damage from potential spills? Isn't it your risk, if you choose to sit at the communal table?

I can see both sides of this.  Yes, she should have been polite.  She was probably taken by surprise that you expected her to buy you a new laptop, and didn't think before she spoke.  I'm sure she has a more nuanced view of the incident and her responsibility in it.

Let it go.  It was an accident.  It's not worth the stress.  It could just as easily have been you spilling the water on her electronics.

I'm sorry, but I don't get this at all.  It was not HER spilling the water, it was the lady.  It was not the lady's responsibility to police electronics, but the drink was her responsibility, and the drink did the damage.

Does a child not have to clean up a spill if it was an accident?  It being an accident does not void responsibility.  You can be responsible for something without being intentionally negligent.

I'm sorry, but I don't get this at all.  It was not HER spilling the water, it was the lady.  It was not the lady's responsibility to police electronics, but the drink was her responsibility, and the drink did the damage.

Does a child not have to clean up a spill if it was an accident?  It being an accident does not void responsibility.  You can be responsible for something without being intentionally negligent.

Ethically I agree with you, but legally there's this thing called Comparative Responsibility.  In any situation where damages are involved, one of the tasks of the court is to determine what percentage of responsibility lies with each party.  In this case, having a laptop open in this environment is assuming the risk that an accident could happen.  So, legally, the owner of the laptop holds some of the of the bill.  Some people carry this over to personal responsibility.  I'm related to people like this.  It's frustrating.

OP- This totally stinks.  Can you file with your homeowner's insurance?  Ours covered DH's stolen laptop even though it was stolen from his office and not our home (because it was his personal laptop that we purchased).

I agree with your basic point. I do think those who spill something should, as a general rule, clean up the spill. I think many of us would have apologized at the very least, and put at least something towards the laptop if at all possible.

To explore the issue deeper, however, I wanted to think about how the spiller might be viewing the incident, and to consider the question of whether it will be fruitful for OP to spend any more time and energy trying to get her to pay.

If a person can not afford to replace anyone else's electronics, do they have a responsibility to make sure they are not in a position to be expected (or morally obligated) to do so? Should they then make sure they never sit with a drink at a table where others have phones or other electronics which might be ruined should they spill something? Or, if they do sit with a drink, that no one puts their electronics on the table?

I think a lot of people would say that if you have your electronics at a table with liquids, you are taking on the risk that someone (or something) will spill liquid on your electronics.

Other things might come into play. Was this an area where liquids are allowed? Was the area suitable for electronics, or was it more of an eating/drinking area? Which was at the table first, the laptop or the liquid? In other words, did the OP put her laptop where there was liquid, or did the spiller put her liquid where there was a laptop? Did the spiller also break her own laptop?

In the end, from a practical point of view, the OP was lucky to save her data, and is unlikely to get her $350. Suing is not going to make her any friends at gymnastics, and is unlikely to be financially fruitful. Given all that, my advice would be to take a deep breath, vent a little, and then forgive the spiller and move on.

Ethically I agree with you, but legally there's this thing called Comparative Responsibility.  In any situation where damages are involved, one of the tasks of the court is to determine what percentage of responsibility lies with each party.  

Oh, understand now.  Sad though, just because I can win in court doesn't make me a decent person...

My DH actually had to assume 20% of the responsibility in an automobile accident where someone made a left turn right in front of him.  (He was not speeding or anything).  I never did understand it, but we still got everything covered so the insurance agent said don't worry about it.  It was WRONG though!  Still makes me mad.

ETA maybe he was 20% responsible because he assumed the risk of driving on the road! :glare:

Ethically I agree with you, but legally there's this thing called Comparative Responsibility.  In any situation where damages are involved, one of the tasks of the court is to determine what percentage of responsibility lies with each party.  In this case, having a laptop open in this environment is assuming the risk that an accident could happen.  So, legally, the owner of the laptop holds some of the of the bill.  Some people carry this over to personal responsibility.  I'm related to people like this.  It's frustrating.

OP- This totally stinks.  Can you file with your homeowner's insurance?  Ours covered DH's stolen laptop even though it was stolen from his office and not our home (because it was his personal laptop that we purchased).

Yes, do at least check with insurance. When my preschooler hurled on my husband's work laptop the insurance covered it. Only after the claims adjustor had a good laugh though.

I actually do see this different than a child coming into your home and destroying something.  You are assuming some risk if you take your laptop out to a public place and set it on a table where people are drinking liquids.  Our #1 laptop rule is the only liquids on the table with a laptop are those in a closed and sealed water bottle. 

I'm not saying the lady who did it shouldn't pay or isn't a jerk.  She sounds like a real prize actually.  If it were me, I would have offered restitution right away!   I just think for that amount of money, I'd probably eat the cost and be very careful where I set and use my laptop in the future.  And my ears would probably steam every time I ran into this woman!

I actually do see this different than a child coming into your home and destroying something.  You are assuming some risk if you take your laptop out to a public place and set it on a table where people are drinking liquids.  Our #1 laptop rule is the only liquids on the table with a laptop are those in a closed and sealed water bottle. 

I'm not saying the lady who didn't shouldn't pay or isn't a jerk.  She sounds like a real prize actually.  If it were me, I would have offered restitution right away!   I just think for that amount of money, I'd probably eat the cost and be very careful where I set and use my laptop in the future.  And my ears would probably steam every time I ran into this woman!

Yes, all of this, exactly.  

Having lived through my own laptop liquid destruction (by my own hand, no less) I am fanatically careful with my new one.  That said, if it were me (and someone else's computer), I'd feel terrible and offer to pay or at least help with cost of replacement.  That woman is a piece of work!

My kids are whirlwinds of destruction. I always figured one of them would be the one to break a computer.

At gymnastics there are several tables where the adults sit with their laptops or tablets. Most people bring one because the parents that stay are there for 1-3 hours. I have no idea if the drink was out before or after I sat down. I usually sit at a small table by myself but that particular night my friends invited me to sit with them. You can rest assured that if I ever bring the iPad to practice, I won't sit near anyone with it.

At first, I thought maybe the woman didn't know she ruined my computer and that's why she didn't apologize. I mentioned it to one of the witnesses the next week and she said that the woman definitely knew because she told her while I was in the bathroom cleaning out my tote bag.

In any case, I don't want to sue because I think people are often too sue-happy and because I don't need the hassle.

Many more people bring laptops than they have room for at the tables. If you don't get there early enough, you get stuck sitting on the steps or a bench your your laptop on your lap. Contrary to the name, I don't find it very comfortable. Not that it matters now, but her drink was in one of those closed cups with the built in straw and she was across the table when it happened. I had no idea a cup like that could make such a mess, soaking even things under the table. We stuck my notebooks in the dehydrator to dry all the pages out.

Oh, understand now.  Sad though, just because I can win in court doesn't make me a decent person...

My DH actually had to assume 20% of the responsibility in an automobile accident where someone made a left turn right in front of him.  (He was not speeding or anything).  I never did understand it, but we still got everything covered so the insurance agent said don't worry about it.  It was WRONG though!  Still makes me mad.

ETA maybe he was 20% responsible because he assumed the risk of driving on the road! :glare:

Yeah, a police officer decided I was 100% at fault when I was t-boned at an intersection because I was making a left hand turn. Only, I had a green arrow, and the other car had a red light... 8 years later, two days before the court case was due, the other person decided to take the settlement my insurance company gave them. Ridiculous. 

I'm afraid you are out the computer. Our family uses electronics around liquids too. Since we are using them so often, it is kind of almost impossible not to. But, if something is damaged, I don't think I would expect the drinker to be responsible for damages. It is a known risk of operating a computer around a liquic.

Guest submarines

Yeah, a police officer decided I was 100% at fault when I was t-boned at an intersection because I was making a left hand turn. Only, I had a green arrow, and the other car had a red light... 8 years later, two days before the court case was due, the other person decided to take the settlement my insurance company gave them. Ridiculous. 

I'm afraid you are out the computer. Our family uses electronics around liquids too. Since we are using them so often, it is kind of almost impossible not to. But, if something is damaged, I don't think I would expect the drinker to be responsible for damages. It is a known risk of operating a computer around a liquic.

Jaw hanging re your accident. How's that even possible?

I think the right and decent thing to do would be if the woman would help defray the replacement costs of the laptop. I personally wouldn't object to the used value of the laptop being a fair compensation.

I think you can forget this woman being fair and decent, however.

I'm afraid you are out the computer. Our family uses electronics around liquids too. Since we are using them so often, it is kind of almost impossible not to. But, if something is damaged, I don't think I would expect the drinker to be responsible for damages. It is a known risk of operating a computer around a liquid.

This is how I feel, too.

I think that's nuts!

It's a known risk that if you park in a lot, someone might dent, scratch or bang into your vehicle.  The person who damages your car is still responsible for the repair.

How is this different?

Guest submarines

Oh wow, regarding the spill being so bad and the container being one with a lid.

I would suggest soaking it in a pile of rice but I feel like that wouldn't do much good. I know it works on phones, but I dunno about laptops!

I find cups with lids are the worst--people stop being vigilant about them, and those lids do not always hold up.

Ugh, I'm so sorry. I would have been mortified and have certainly offered to replace your computer! I'm sorry that woman had such bad manners. 

I'm thinking the accident is too old for this fix, but I accidentally dumped a can of seltzer on my laptop a couple of years ago. I flipped it upside down and open, resting the keyboard on a doubled up towel and left it there for 3 days to dry. It had made a zapping sound and turned itself off after the seltzer spilled into it. Letting it sit for that long upside down dried the entire thing out and it started back up fine and still works. So on the off chance this ever happens again, flip it over and don't touch it for awhile and you may not lose the computer. I will say, I never keep a glass/can of anything liquid on the same surface as my computer now. I'm paranoid. :-)

I think that's nuts!

It's a known risk that if you park in a lot, someone might dent, scratch or bang into your vehicle. The person who damages your car is still responsible for the repair.

How is this different?

Actually they might not be responsible. It actually depends on how much each contributed to the accident.

However, to use your analogy...

Using a laptop at a table with liquids is like parking in a no parking zone and then getting ticked when you are stuck with an expensive ticket for it.

There is a disproportionately high risk of damage from using electronics at a table with liquids.

We never set electronics at tables with food or liquids bc it's just a matter of time until something is ruined.

Actually they might not be responsible. It actually depends on how much each contributed to the accident.

However, to use your analogy...

Using a laptop at a table with liquids is like parking in a no parking zone and then getting ticked when you are stuck with an expensive ticket for it.

There is a disproportionately high risk of damage from using electronics at a table with liquids.

We never set electronics at tables with food or liquids bc it's just a matter of time until something is ruined.

I think you "no liquids around electronics" is pretty rare. Have you ever worked in an office?  The number of people who don't have a cup of something next to their laptop is lower than those who do.  Every coffeeshop has tons of laptop users there too.   And if everyone posting here never does so with a cup of water or coffee (or wine?) next to them........... that would surprise me for sure.

OP said people frequently put laptops on the tables at this venue. You'd think that would make any liquid drinker a bit more sensitive to the danger.

I am not sure she is at fault, honestly.  I never, ever bring an electronic device places where there is liquids.  Water bottles, drinks etc. get knocked over all the time.  It just happened that the laptop was there.  I would not pay for an electronic device that was on the floor when a drink accidentally spilled.   I would say you were at fault for putting your computer on the floor and not keeping a super close eye on it.

I think you "no liquids around electronics" is pretty rare. Have you ever worked in an office? The number of people who don't have a cup of something next to their laptop is lower than those who do. Every coffeeshop has tons of laptop users there too. And if everyone posting here never does so with a cup of water or coffee (or wine?) next to them........... that would surprise me for sure.

OP said people frequently put laptops on the tables at this venue. You'd think that would make any liquid drinker a bit more sensitive to the danger.

The popularity of doing something risky does not make other people liable for the results of it. Why are they supposed to be more sensitive to the risk than the person risking their own $300+ item? That makes no sense at all to me.

And no I don't keep liquids around my device either. My iPad is in my lap and my drink is always on a separate table from my electronics. For example, my coffee will be on the coffeetable and my iPad will be on the endtable or my lap. And we have a no electronics at the dining table rule.

The popularity of doing something risky does not make other people liable for the results of it. Why are they supposed to be more sensitive to the risk than the person risking their own $300+ item? That makes no sense at all to me.

And no I don't keep liquids around my device either. My iPad is in my lap and my drink is always on a separate table from my electronics. For example, my coffee will be on the coffeetable and my iPad will be on the endtable or my lap. And we have a no electronics at the dining table rule.

People still park cars in parking lots! Known risk. You ding my car, I still expect you to have it repaired.

Seriously, the whole business model of Starbucks would have failed if laptop and smartphone around beverages was considered 'risky'.