Menu

If you have been home for 10+ years and returned to work

lynn

what do you put under work history?  How do you explain the skills it takes to run a home?

Household Manager?  Then list skills of organization skills: managed household inventory,  managed accounts payable/receivable,etc, home school teacher for 8 years?     Most applications are now on line,  so what will stand out.  My past life I was Executive Secretary but I've been sahm for 20 years.

I recently started working in a girl Friday type position......I am running errands and taking care of a big house for a single father....so not the type of job you will be applying for probably....but in my conversations with him I was just very honest...that I have been taking care of my family for 14 years and homeschooling my son.

I no longer work there, but I got a job at a preschool center. It was a paper application. I listed jobs from 1988 to 2001 where I was working mostly consistently. When I had my interview, I explained that I had been a SAHM who homeschooled. Because of the nature of the job, that worked in my favor. I don't know if I could list skills from being a housewife. That would feel weird to me. I'd fill in what I could and hope I get called for an interview.

My first job applications after a long hiatus included volunteer activities as experience. I used people I volunteered with as references ( I was a swim team manager at one point, so I included comanagers as references). I also organized and taught a science class for homeschoolers.

Another thing that made the transition a little easier, was the first job I got was a very part time position as a swim instructor. From there I had recent employment experience to put down. I also began to build adult contacts. The adults I taught, the parents of kids I taught, the aquatics director knew people who knew people doing X or Y (field I was exploring). My coworkers had other jobs that they told me about. So, the little job at the YMCA helped me get my footing gradually in the working world.

What kind of job are you looking to get?  What skills do you need?

I am planning to return to work in 2 years.  Right now I am looking for some classes in my field to take so that I can brush up.  I may also volunteer some at the local school to get a leg up on current trends and buzzwords.

Dawn

I treated my home education years as though they were a job, so I entitled them just like my previous employment: dates; home educator; self employed.  Then I stated that I had been solely responsible for the boys' education for those years, using 'these' bullet-point skills and gaining 'this' bullet point experience.

L

I treated my home education years as though they were a job, so I entitled them just like my previous employment: dates; home educator; self employed.  Then I stated that I had been solely responsible for the boys' education for those years, using 'these' bullet-point skills and gaining 'this' bullet point experience.

L

This is wonderful in theory, but did you have actual success getting a position by doing this without having other more current volunteer/paid experience outside the home? Just curious.

I included volunteer work. I did not use the word "homeschool" in my cover letter/application, but in addition to my volunteering, I said that I was very involved in my children's education or some such wording.

My first back-to-work job was at a library. I knew there was a position opening up soon, and I began volunteering at the library. By the time the position opened, they knew me. My volunteering obviously had an ulterior motive, but it worked.  :)

The other thing that I found helpful was to read a couple of "how to interview" books.  I took notes and prepared myself.  While waiting for the library job, I had another interview, and by the time we were done, the man was showing me all of his family pictures.  So I knew it'd gone well.  I didn't get the job, but it might have been because it was with the county school district, and I answered truthfully when asked where my kids went to school, lol.

This is wonderful in theory, but did you have actual success getting a position by doing this without having other more current volunteer/paid experience outside the home? Just curious.

Laura went back to work a few years ago. She talked about it here. I believe she started with a part time position and now has a more professional job full time.

I kept working part time as a swim instructor, but I teach at a private school too. I also had homeschool experiences on that first resume and job application.

Yes.  The first position I took was as village postmistress.  My previous paid employment had been thirteen years earlier.  The home education bullet points included things like:

- researched worldwide for the best curricula and implemented education of my two sons

- organised spelling bees, including managing materials, venue booking and the actual event

- ran the local Scholastic book-buying club for my city, taking orders and money from forty families, then organising and distributing the books.

I didn't give dates for any of the volunteer experience - in fact, all of it was at least four years old, and all was carried out in another country.  No one asked.

After two years, I applied for different jobs and was taken on in a general admin position.  By that time, I had taken a computer refresher course, so that featured prominently.  My home ed section was still on the resume, but it had been edited down.

L

And who did you put as your supervisor?  Who could they call for a reference to verify you did a good job?  And did you list your home address as your work address?

Maybe for the job you were applying for it didn't matter, but for the things I would be applying for, it would make a big difference.

L

And who did you put as your supervisor?  Who could they call for a reference to verify you did a good job?  And did you list your home address as your work address?

Maybe for the job you were applying for it didn't matter, but for the things I would be applying for, it would make a big difference.

Good questions.  

If you think about it, I was putting myself forward as self-employed.  Just like any other self-employed person (Husband at present, for example) I had no supervisor.  My 'did a good job' proof was that the boys had just passed the entrance exam for the local private school (I mentioned this on the resume, to show that I had been serious about educating them).  Yes, I just had one address.  And my reference was a personal one - I can't remember whom I used, but probably someone who had seen me behaving responsibly/turning up on time/ interacting with others reasonably/being well organised at home education groups.

ETA:  My first job had an online application process, but it allowed for narrative rather then just tick-boxes.  I suspect that the Post Office gets a fair number of unconventional applicants.

My second job was to work in a three-person branch office of a medium-sized firm.  They just asked for a curriculum vitae and a cover letter.

L

With so many job applications being online, putting down volunteer jobs can be tricky. They want you to list a salary but if you put 0 it kicks it back telling you to enter a wage. And if you enter a real number, well, that's not a true number. And they have a place to put a supervisor's name and contact info.  If you leave it blank, it's a problem. If you put your own name, they might think you're too dumb to even now how to answer the question. 

Ds applied for jobs this summer and one online application had a place for volunteer positions.  Of the 20 or so he filled out, that one was the only application that had a designated place to list it. And since his experience was mostly volunteer, he was thrilled to have a place to easily list it. 

If you can get past the online application and have a chance to explain your volunteer activities in person, it's better. But like I said, so many jobs have online applications and also specifically say 'no phone calls' and that makes it difficult when you have an unusual situation.  

It's MUCH easier if the job you apply for allows you to attach a resume. You can explain things on that.  The trick is to get it read- if you have no recent work experience but have fabulous volunteer experience, getting them to open the resume attachment and read it is key. But with no recent work experience, is it likely they will open/read it or just move on to the next application?

L

May I ask what kind of feedback you got on this when interviewing? I'm looking for work now and have contemplated putting in a section like this, but I'm looking for finance jobs in London and am not sure how this will go over in that environment. When you interviewed for jobs, did you get questions about this section of your cv? I don't mean to pry so don't answer if that's asking for too many personal details.

May I ask what kind of feedback you got on this when interviewing? I'm looking for work now and have contemplated putting in a section like this, but I'm looking for finance jobs in London and am not sure how this will go over in that environment. When you interviewed for jobs, did you get questions about this section of your cv? I don't mean to pry so don't answer if that's asking for too many personal details.

No problem.  I didn't get many questions.  To be honest, I had a very solid story as to why I home educated: it's very much still a counter-cultural thing in the UK, and I didn't want to get into the philosophy of it.  I just said, 'We moved to China and there wasn't a suitable local school, so I took on their education myself. ' As I mentioned previously, the fact that the boys hadn't turned out with too oddly (they had been admitted to private school right around the time I was interviewing) helped too.

I will say that the finance industry is pretty conservative, so I don't know what to suggest.  The day that Husband turned up to work in The City in a brown suit, the ribbing encompassed the whole trading floor.....

L

You need a network. Traditional references are previous jobs or college professors or persons who supervised internships. A reference can include the person in charge of a nonprofit for whom you volunteered. If you are applying to job without any references, then consider what your most recent experience in the field is. You may have an easier way in if you have recently finished job training/education in the field.

If you previously worked in the field and are trying to return, do you have a network of friends/collegues you kept in touch with. Without references, those are the people who are going to be your way in to certain jobs. Some people who don't plan to work for years maintain memberships in professional organizations and go to the professional meetings and taking continuing ed in the field so they can maintain the network. If you are trying to get back to a certain professional job with a large gap in your resume, it is the people in this network who can pass your resume around and vouch for the large nonpaid gap.

It you've previously worked in a field, but do not have a network to rely upon to help with job search, I would suggest finding a nonprofit where you can volunteer in a capacity related to the field you are trying to return to. This will give you current experience and a reference. Often you need to be in a position (paid or unpaid) for six months before you can use the reference. This is a problem if you have to get in a wage earning situation quickly.

I just did this!  I am a pharmacist and have been out of the workforce for 20+ years.  I always kept my license current, though.  A couple years ago I decided to get licensed in the state in which we live.  After that I was approached by a pharmacist to see if I would be interested in working in the local free clinic.  I agreed.  That started the ball rolling.  In January of this year I received a phone call out of the blue asking me if I was interested in doing PRN work for the large Trauma 1 hospital nearby.  That sent me into a tailspin! I Googled resumes, cover letters, watched YouTubes of mock interviews,etc.  I eventually put it all together, got the job, and now have an interview tomorrow for another PRN job in our local hospital!

For my resume I listed the most recent experience first - the volunteer position.  Then I listed the other employment I had 20 years ago.  But on the cover letter I explained what I had been doing in the years I was not employeed.  I was very honest and indicated that I home educated my children, I taught in our local co-op, I tutored other students.  I also gave the reason we decided to homeschool (of course that will vary) because it was something other medical professionals could relate to - the fact that the boys' dad is a physician and not home much we felt they needed a parent around more and we wanted the freedom a home school schedule would  give (lunch with dad, vacations outside of summertime, etc.).  

The interviewers said they were very impressed with the fact that I kept my license current all those years and that I was actively involved in the community.  They were also impressed with my boys' success in academia (one had already graduated from college).  A few months later at my 3 month evaluation, when asked if I had anything to say, I told the supervisor how grateful I was that they took a chance on me and that I knew that it probably wasn't an easy decision.  He indicated with a chuckle that some people had reservations but they were glad they had done it.  

I have a really hard time making myself out to be something I don't recognize, so being totally honest and upfront was so much more comfortable for me.  They asked me all sorts of questions in the interview and all I really had to talk about was home education but that, at the time, was my passion and I think that came through to them.  One of the things I learned from a YT video was to take the questions asked and apply them to something you know well - and that was education even though the job was for a pharmacist.  I've discovered that many people are in awe of what we do...while they may not understand it, they are awed by it (if we do it well).  I think relating home education to the list of Executive Secretary duties will be super easy!  Shoot - you've been an executive secretary as well as the boss for many years now :)

Best wishes for lots of confidence for you and kindness from your interviewers :)

Don't they say 80% of jobs come from connections? I'd try to milk those, including contacting the career office of your college, if you graduated; many have advising services for life for alumni as well as job listings.

I think you're right.  My volunteer position came about through a connection in BSA.  A pharmacist mom was asked by the free clinic pharmacist coordinator about working.  She declined but gave them my contact information.  Then the hospital position came about through the same pharmacist who works at a big box pharmacy.  One of the hospital pharmacists uses that pharmacy and asked if the big box pharmacist knew of someone who might be interested in an AS Needed position.  She gave her my contact information.  The new hospital position came about when a pharmacist overheard my dh in the lunchroom telling someone else what I was doing.  I haven't searched for a single position yet.  I was hoping to delay getting into the workforce until September, after launching everyone into college, but I wasn't about to turn down the opportunity when it came.

No problem.  I didn't get many questions.  To be honest, I had a very solid story as to why I home educated: it's very much still a counter-cultural thing in the UK, and I didn't want to get into the philosophy of it.  I just said, 'We moved to China and there wasn't a suitable local school, so I took on their education myself. ' As I mentioned previously, the fact that the boys hadn't turned out with too oddly (they had been admitted to private school right around the time I was interviewing) helped too.

I will say that the finance industry is pretty conservative, so I don't know what to suggest.  The day that Husband turned up to work in The City in a brown suit, the ribbing encompassed the whole trading floor.....

L

Thanks Laura. I may give it a try and see what happens, perhaps when focussing on the US firms. Fortunately the kids have done well in conventional exams and are now going down a more "recognizable" path, so I may try to emphasize that.

Thanks.  I know what to do, I was asking Laura because I knew that what she had done would not work for my resume at all.

You need a network. Traditional references are previous jobs or college professors or persons who supervised internships. A reference can include the person in charge of a nonprofit for whom you volunteered. If you are applying to job without any references, then consider what your most recent experience in the field is. You may have an easier way in if you have recently finished job training/education in the field.

If you previously worked in the field and are trying to return, do you have a network of friends/collegues you kept in touch with. Without references, those are the people who are going to be your way in to certain jobs. Some people who don't plan to work for years maintain memberships in professional organizations and go to the professional meetings and taking continuing ed in the field so they can maintain the network. If you are trying to get back to a certain professional job with a large gap in your resume, it is the people in this network who can pass your resume around and vouch for the large nonpaid gap.

It you've previously worked in a field, but do not have a network to rely upon to help with job search, I would suggest finding a nonprofit where you can volunteer in a capacity related to the field you are trying to return to. This will give you current experience and a reference. Often you need to be in a position (paid or unpaid) for six months before you can use the reference. This is a problem if you have to get in a wage earning situation quickly.

Don't they say 80% of jobs come from connections? I'd try to milk those, including contacting the career office of your college, if you graduated; many have advising services for life for alumni as well as job listings.

Well I don't know whether it's 80% or not, but both myself and my dh have gotten positions through personal contacts. It sure helps, if you have them.

And as Laura experienced, and I've seen with other people, that first position you can get "in the door" may not be the ideal career-of-a-lifetime one, but it is great to have on a resume for future positions - not to mention that it helps build contacts for finding openings.

Well I don't know whether it's 80% or not, but both myself and my dh have gotten positions through personal contacts. It sure helps, if you have them.

And as Laura experienced, and I've seen with other people, that first position you can get "in the door" may not be the ideal career-of-a-lifetime one, but it is great to have on a resume for future positions - not to mention that it helps build contacts for finding openings.

Networking is very, very important.  I've always worked and homeschooled.  In 30+ years of working with 10 years as a self-employed independent contractor, I've only gotten only two jobs or contracts via just submitting an application without any networking.  Every other job involved one of the following: (1) someone who knew me wrote a job for me, (2) I asked someone who knew me if they knew of any jobs, or (3) someone I knew asked if I'd like to apply for a job they knew about.

I just faxed a contract today that came from a contract I did in July that came from contacting a former supervisor in March to see if she had any work.  I originally got a gig working for her because she heard about me from a professional friend, and then after a few years she moved on but we kept in touch. That type of thing.

Many jobs also require proof of Microsoft Office skills, and you may need to take a continuing ed or college course to prove that.  Even the part-time receptionist jobs in my area require that.

Thankfully I think the tide is turning somewhat in hiring older workers.  Several local businesses that I'm familiar with have said that they have no problem hiring homeschool moms if they can prove some level of people skills, organizational skills, and fortitude  :laugh: .  They want someone who is going to get along with their coworkers and come to work when they're supposed to.

I'll be the odd one out and say that I'm not convinced that networking is always the right answer. I've been looking for work for a while and have focussed almost all my efforts on networking. Granted, I am "networking" in a country that is relatively new to me where I know few people well and even fewer in my profession. So I am building up a network while looking for work and it's not working out. If I were in an area where I had a network in place, it might be different -- the one job I"ve gotten was through my former boss, but it's working at a distance for a company in another country for a few weeks. The other two interviews have been through a recruiter and sending my cv in to a job advert.

What I'm finding is that networking "cold" without a very strong previous relationship to the person is very difficult because most people I contact with questions on a purely informational basis (not asking for a job)  simply don't respond. I can't say I blame them as the relationship is either acquaintance-level or friends of friends level. I wish I'd known this when I started the job search, as I invested my energy into networking rather than looking for job ads online or getting in touch with HR or recruiters. No one mentioned this to me; in fact the career coach I worked with suggested I focus entirely on networking, even though he knew my situation.

My new plan is simply to apply to all suitable jobs listed, send my cv to suitable companies and recruiters, volunteer with two organisations to help me get to know people well, and not focus so much on networking. Another option that I've heard of for women returners is designing a "returnship" where you work with a company to design an internship. You get something for your cv, they get your work.

I recently got a part time job after 16 years. I listed my SAHM stuff as self employed. Mine was a paper app and I was able to say a few things when I dropped it off. Does the computer app allow for a letter or note of some type?

My employer is our church so the connection was beneficial, also they liked what I had to say about volunteering because it showed I was a self starter and go getter. They needed someone who could work independently.

And if you don't have that, at least personal contact with the company beats posting your resume to some website.

I went back to work part time three years ago (not in my previous field as a therapist) after 13 years out of the work force. I did not feel worried about my time being a SAHM at all.  I put it all right out there on the resume, big gap and all. LOL  I was asked about it only once; it seemed to me most people were pretty savvy about what SAHMs do and all the work that entails, but maybe that's not the norm.  Basically, it was a non-issue for me. [FTR I accepted a job as a part time (now FT starting in September) Events Coordinator at a local art gallery. I'm responsible for planning/booking/overseeing exhibits, lectures, and concerts.]

I was successful. I applied for a job related to education, and many of the skills that I used as a homeschool teacher were directly applicable to the position for which I applied.

I also included on my resume a number of volunteer positions, which I listed under volunteer experience along with the volunteer duties I'd performed. I used people with whom I'd volunteered as references.

Cat

I was successful. I applied for a job related to education, and many of the skills that I used as a homeschool teacher were directly applicable to the position for which I applied.

I also included on my resume a number of volunteer positions, which I listed under volunteer experience along with the volunteer duties I'd performed. I used people with whom I'd volunteered as references.

Cat

That's great that it worked out for you. I think part of getting hired would be the area one lives in, and whether there are other people applying for positions with recent relevant education and work experience. Recent volunteer experience is wonderful, but it's not in quite the same category as paid work, unfortunately. It's excellent to have and definitely a plus, but I wouldn't expect to get hired due only to that.

I really can't imagine NOT including the years I completed education and work/volunteer experience on my resume. I would think that this would be an obvious red flag to an employer.

Recent volunteer experience is wonderful, but it's not in quite the same category as paid work, unfortunately. It's excellent to have and definitely a plus, but I wouldn't expect to get hired due only to that.

True, and if you don't have paid work experience for several years, then you have to go with what you've got. My volunteer experience and the activities and skills I'd used while homeschooling were a plus. I know that it helped my application because it was mentioned to me later on in a general discussion about recruiting more people for a particular project. :)  When listing my job duties, both as a homeschool parent and in my volunteer positions, I definitely emphasized the skills that I'd use in the job for which I was applying.

I had no contacts at the organization. I found the job on Craigslist, of all places, and it was as though the job description was written for me. I think you're absolutely right about area and skill set; however, I live in a university town, which is overflowing with qualified people looking for jobs. My homeschool and volunteer experiences were definitely a bonus, and most of the people with whom I work also volunteer actively in their children's schools and community organizations. 

Cat

Yes - I took the first thing that came along that I thought I had a chance of getting, just to get something on my record.

L

Have you kept up with your secretarial skills and is that the type of position you are looking for?  If you are still skilled with Word but especially Powerpoint and Excel, you should check with temp agencies.  They will usually test your skills to send you for jobs and it could be a good way to get back out there.  

I returned after 8 years at home, first as a temp and was hired permanent within 6 weeks.

With so many job applications being online, putting down volunteer jobs can be tricky. They want you to list a salary but if you put 0 it kicks it back telling you to enter a wage. And if you enter a real number, well, that's not a true number.

-SNIP-

As a 4-H volunteer, I have to keep track of my annual hours for government reports compiled at the county and state levels to be sent to the federal government.  We've been told that our volunteer time is worth $22/hour when it comes to those federal reports and in-kind donation of services on grant applications.

You can probably find out how much your volunteer time is actually worth and use that figure on your applications.

As a 4-H volunteer, I have to keep track of my annual hours for government reports compiled at the county and state levels to be sent to the federal government. We've been told that our volunteer time is worth $22/hour when it comes to those federal reports and in-kind donation of services on grant applications.

You can probably find out how much your volunteer time is actually worth and use that figure on your applications.

No. You will run afoul of HR because it will be see as reporting an unpaid volunteer activity as paid employment.

As a 4-H volunteer, I have to keep track of my annual hours for government reports compiled at the county and state levels to be sent to the federal government. We've been told that our volunteer time is worth $22/hour when it comes to those federal reports and in-kind donation of services on grant applications.

That might look odd on some applications. HR might question why you would give up earning $22/hr and then find out you weren't paid at all. There probably needs to be a better way of explaining it.

I did no professional work at all for about 7 years.  Even prior to that, most of my jobs were part-time.  However, my resume didn't look too shabby because I did not put part time under the jobs that were part time.  I also have a license in the mental health field, and that does not become obsolete as some experience might in other fields.  When I got a full time position several years ago (have since quit that job), I interviewed well and was offered the job. I had been doing some part time work and adjunct teaching at the rate of one class per semester.   At some point after starting the full time job, I spoke with my boss about having last worked full time 15 years prior.  He was quite surprised by that.  My resume was accurate but did not list information that might make me appear less desirable to an employer.  If anyone had asked, I would have told the truth about the jobs being part-time.  Something that helped me was the part time work that I could put on my resume spanning some of the years when I really did very little professionally.  I have a profession that lends itself to part time and contract work so this is fairly simple.