Menu

any small things to make you cheer today...

bettyandbob

1. ds needs new clothes. I managed to get him to pull on his pants that I had hemmed last year. The pants are too worn to just take out the hem, but the size is still right. This makes us cheer because weight is an issue for ds who has down syndrome. So, he's getting taller without getting wider. Yay. Plus, LandsEnd is having a little sale today. LE pants seem to fit ds better than other brands.

2. Our big vacation is a 3 day camping trip to the beach. Since it's not fancy I want all the details to work. It will be my first camping trip as the only responsible adult (dh is working). At first I couln't get a site reserved for all three nights. Today, I checked and a tent site is open for the 3 nights I need. Got it. Can't wait to get to the state park on Saturday. Yay.

Hope everyone else is finding little things to make them cheer today.

Share your little cheer.

Always glad for the little things.  They can help us make it through the bigger stuff....

Well, good things for today....DD expressed confidence that she and I can get through science this year without outside support.  I'm not as sure but at least she is.  :)  Oh, and we didn't burn breakfast (yesterday we had a few issues :) ).

Cheers to you, OP!

We got to meet DH for lunch today (first time in 3 weeks we were able to make this weekly date with Daddy). Yay!

We tried a new Mongolian stir-fry place that opened nearby recently. Everyone loved it! Yay!

So far I am juggling pets quite well. My in-laws' dogs have not yet managed to chase the cat, and the cat hasn't accidentally clawed me in terror. The dogs have been well - behaved fir the most part, though they did dump over the recycling this morning. Yay!

Both of the sliding doors on our minivan stopped working within a week of each other. I called two places and got quotes of $811 and $730. We are in the middle of cutting back and paying off debt so we don't have that right now. Well, DH called the place that services all his work vans and they said we could buy the parts ourselves and they'd just charge us labor (very cheap hourly rate). DH just called me and said they're done, it worked (we guessed what was wrong and what it needed after online research), and they charged us $110. We bought the parts for $90, so we saved a ton.

My almost 18 yr. old darling son's Eagle Scout project is almost finished and they didn't get arrested by the Environmental Crimes Unit for painting fire hydrants. It was all approved but concerned citizens were calling in reporting him and his crew, including adults and dh. Apparently departments don't communicate between themselves.

He will be Eagle!

My son wants to share a positive.  He says that even though he slept very poorly last night he isn't grumpy (and actually he is doing pretty well).  He also wishes everyone a good day.  

Good for him!!! And good day to him as well  :thumbup1:

Both of the sliding doors on our minivan stopped working within a week of each other. I called two places and got quotes of $811 and $730. We are in the middle of cutting back and paying off debt so we don't have that right now. Well, DH called the place that services all his work vans and they said we could buy the parts ourselves and they'd just charge us labor (very cheap hourly rate). DH just called me and said they're done, it worked (we guessed what was wrong and what it needed after online research), and they charged us $110. We bought the parts for $90, so we saved a ton.

As someone overly familiar with expensive repairs, this is great news! Your DH's mechanics are very kind. 

DS had a skating competition on Saturday and had high hopes of doing well. Unfortunately, he lost to a relative newcomer which was a little hard on the ego. But, after speaking with his coach today, she pointed out that in the past few weeks, he had been working on 6 dances, two programs, and several test elements. His competition program was put together in just a few lessons and he was skating against higher level skaters. Overall, she said she was super pleased with the way he skated on Saturday and, in fact, said it was some of the best skating she had ever seen from him. A happy coach = a happy kid.

Ds 17 noticed that the yard needed to be mowed and offered to do it.  That counts for TWO cheers!

Then later he offered to put gas in the car.  I nearly fell over.

Now that I think of it, maybe these don't deserve cheers...maybe he's up to something and he's preparing me ahead of time!!

:001_huh:

Ok - both kids had good days.  My son auditioned for a Halloween Theater production and got a callback for a show I didn't think he'd be a fit for!  No guarantees of course, but I always think if you get a callback, at a minimum the director can imagine you in the production. 

My 10 year old  daughter has had some issues with anxiety in the past 6 months.  She has been dancing since she was 4.  Every summer her dance studio offers a summer intensive that ends in a big show.  I actually tried to talk her out of it this spring because that period of time was so rough, but she insisted on doing it.  Today she had a tech rehearsal for the big dance show in a strange space in a downtown area and she admitted to being nervous, but kicked me out in 5 minutes and was good to go!  So proud of that kiddo today!  :hurray:

Today my kids worked independently for 90 mins straight. I was able to walk away and do housework while they just did their work. They had a few subjects piled beside them and just moved onto the next thing till it was done. No complaining...no I hate writing...no math meltdowns. A few times I asked ..Hey..need any help understanding your task....and all I got was No mum, I can do this myself.

I've spent the last 2 years almost having to sit on top of them to get anything done and redirecting their attention back to their work every 5 minutes and going over and over instructions that they don't seem to be able to follow and then suddenly I can see the light at the end of the independence tunnel.

My boys used birthday money for needs. They bought themselves new shoes and shirts. We would have purchased shoes within the month and told them as much but they said they wanted to buy them now and be able to pick out their favorite. One son also bought a new controller so that he could give his little sister who had one break his old one. Very thoughtful.

Yeah on your 2 cheers :)  

My cheer today is we had the licensing inspection at the afterschool care today.  We moved locations so this inspection was vital to be sure we could be open on the first day of school.  Not only did we pass but the licensing inspector made a point of telling my boss about how much she loved me there and the knowledge I had of all the policies/requirements.

Health inspector showed up during the above inspection to do his inspection and again we passed, and he too commented to my boss about how impressed he was with my understanding of the things he was required to check.

I was at the dentist with my boys when those 2 commented to my boss.  I was quite thrilled to hear we passed both.  Friday my classroom was filled with boxes of all our stuff.  I spent 6 hours Friday, 2 Saturday, 4 Sunday and 7.5 hours today setting up the room, dealing with the office work etc to prepare for this inspection and I nailed it :) And 2 top it off both boys had great check ups at the dentist

My dd (college) wasn't going to audition for the school's acapella group.  She's in her 3rd year, and been rejected twice before, so she didn't want to try again.  I talked her into it, and she got in!  I know it's a big boost to her, and even if she could on;y participate this year (because of student teaching next year), she's has the chance to be a part of her's school's long tradition.  

Dh and I are going go-karting with the boys today. It should be a hoot!

Then I have a singles tennis match set up with a friend. Otherwise, it's still summer vacation, so I can nap, eat chocolate and generally relax and do what I like. (I feel like avoiding any housework!)