Menu

Today I learned my 6yo is allergic to penicillin.... BTDT?

Veritaserum

We are waiting in the ER (in a room) right now. She got a horrible, itchy rash all over her body mid-afternoon and her face started swelling about an hour ago. The rash has also gotten much, much worse since it first showed up. She took the medication over 12 hours ago. What has your experience been with reactions? How long has it taken for things to normalize? I have a family history of this allergy (dad and two siblings), but I've never seen it live like this.

I am allergic to penicillin.  Years ago, I was given a shot of it in the emergency room when my mom brought me in with pneumonia.  Which turned out to be a very good place to be as I quickly developed the rash and itching starting at the injection site.  It spread fairly rapidly an they had to dose me up fairly quickly with something as I was already having trouble breathing from pneumonia.

It has turned out to be an easy antibiotic to avoid.  In nearly 40 years, I have never had a second exposure and the doctors have always been able to easily find a different antibiotic to use for me.

It was Zithromax for my older son. He had pneumonia and was given Zithromax. The first does was fine. It was the second dose that gave him the rash and scratchy throat. We ended up in the er and got a new antibiotic. Zithromax is pretty easy to avoid and I make sure all the doctors he meets know about it, but it hasn't been a problem.

The weird thing was the Zithromax was helping the pneumonia was getting better. We still threw the rest of the medicine away.

I am allergic to penicillin and its relatives. I have the same reaction as your daughter. I am very careful to tell all medical providers this. I rarely get sick and I try to avoid antibiotics as much as possible anyway, so it hasn't been much of a problem. Have they given your daughter an antihistamine?  I hope she recovers quickly and has no trauma. Maybe think about getting a medicalert type of bracelet?

My mom was allergic to penicillin and even years ago, when there weren't as many alternatives, there was never a problem getting something else for her that would work.

It's definitely something you'll need to remember when you fill out forms, though.

My ds reacts to penicillin, but it's not a true allergy. Our doctor switched him to Zithromax and it has been fine.

It's not hard to get other medications. My husband is allergic. He realized though that when he first started compounding it at the pharmacy that it was a problem but that after awhile, he no longer needed to take crazy precautions to avoid contact with it at work. Penicillin is easily one of the drugs he has to fill the most. It was like he built up a tolerance. He still doesn't take it, of course. Fortunately it doesn't look like he's passed this on to either of our sons.

I am allergic to penicillin.  I found out when I was very young (5, I think, maybe less).  I had a shot of it and promptly went anaphylactic.  All I remember of it was being in the hospital and that my mom slept in the bed with me. I am told I was there 4 days.  

There are several alternatives to penicillin (sulpha drugs, for one, cipro for another) and there are even more now than there were 40+ years ago.  You do have to be diligent about telling your health care team, though. You might consider one of those medic alert bracelets.  I had one as a child.  It was handy a couple of times.

Oldest DS is allergic to amoxicillin.  We found that out when he was about 18 months old and he broke out in large hives all around his mouth after taking it for an ear infection.  His pediatrician never felt it was necessary to test him on other "cillins."  He recommended just avoiding them.  DS has been pretty healthy, and the few times he's needed something the provider has given him a sulfa drug.  It never occurred to me to get him a bracelet, but it sounds as if your DD's reaction was a little worse than DS's.

I do although I think it was only a mild rash type thing. I did have it accidentally prescribed after one of the kids was born, even though the hospital had the paperwork saying I was allergic. It wasn't a big deal as I realised when I was reading the dosage stuff but if you have a major reaction it would be worth looking at an alert.

My advice is to not trust the doctors to not prescribe it in the future after being notified that she is allergic. When given a prescription, check for yourself to make sure it is not penicillin. Double check with pharmacist when filling. 

My husband is allergic to penicillin and my father to demerol (a common pain shot). My husband says it's rarely been an issue. In most cases penicillin is not required in emergency situations. They generally take the time to find out before giving it. It's a better known allergen. There are many other antibiotics. DH carries identification and the whole family knows about his allergy so we can inform medical personnel. I think he was a teen and it showed in the hospital during appendix recovery so he never had a bracelet. 

My father has had more problems with demerol. I think he should carry some kind of ID about it. If he goes into an emergency room in pain he has to be very careful, even as an adult he's had nurses shoot him up with demerol without asking. My mother now goes around telling everyone if he's hospitalized or in the emergency room. Just telling the front desk is not enough on that one. It must be a much rarer allergy. 

I think a bracelet is a good idea if she goes to classes or places alone. Something identifying and allowing contact to her family is helpful. Penicillin has a very specific scent, so it's pretty easy to spot in pill form. I think there'd be more possible problems in emergencies. That's where the bracelet is most helpful. Medical personnel are generally pretty careful though. Usually they wait until they can ask someone. 

Please watch her carefully today.  There can be a biphasic, second reaction that is worse than the first.  Did they tell you to watch for that?  Just be cautious.  

There are many alternatives to penicillin, but make sure you learn the meds that are in the penicillin family.  DS is allergic to all of them, and I think that's common.  Amoxicillin is one.

We don't have penicillin listed on DS's medic alert bracelet, because it's generally not one that's going to be given in an emergency (like pain meds above - I have that issue, too, and it's a mess).  But the medic alert company has that info on file.  If it were DS's only allergy, I would probably go ahead and get a bracelet for it, we just don't have room.  But I don't think you *have* to have a bracelet, and I wouldn't stress if your DD doesn't want to wear it.  I would feel confident giving the info to docs, etc.  YMMV.  DH has a penicillin allergy here, too, so I'm coming at it from his perspective, too.

I agree that you have doublecheck every time an abx is prescribed from now on.  And if there's a hospital visit, make sure they make an allergy band for your DD.  

My father has had more problems with demerol. I think he should carry some kind of ID about it. If he goes into an emergency room in pain he has to be very careful, even as an adult he's had nurses shoot him up with demerol without asking. My mother now goes around telling everyone if he's hospitalized or in the emergency room. Just telling the front desk is not enough on that one. It must be a much rarer allergy. 

Off topic, but this might be good to know:  in our area, the hospitals are phasing Demerol out. Some docs won't prescribe it, and one hospital doesn't stock it at all.  There have been heart issues associated with it.  I hope this is good for your father, and that your local hospital decides to go that route.  

Sadly, it's the *only* pain med to which I'm not allergic!  Aaack.  I've had some painful visits to the ER that doesn't stock Demerol.  No pain relief at the ER is not fun.  I'm allergic to all the codeines, all the narcotics, morphine derivatives, you name it.  I get NSAIDS, but sometimes they are not enough.

Pain med allergies are not good.  And you're right, it takes a lot of advocacy on the part of the patient and their well partner in the hospital.  I hope your dad doesn't need pain meds often!

The baby woke me up after less than five hours' sleep. :-/ Dd looks better this morning (underlying skin redness has lessened). She slept in my room and I checked on her breathing during the night. The doctor did say to watch for drooling, wheezing, etc.--anything that might indicate breathing difficulty.

Yesterday was day 7 of her amoxicillin. I'm kicking myself, though, because about halfway through the week she said her mouth felt itchy and weird. Later she said it was fine, so I shrugged it off. :-/ Seeing her all red, itchy, and swollen was awful! The doctor last night warned that reactions are often worse at a second exposure. I'll be drilling her on how to inform caregivers that she is allergic to penicillin. This was the first time in her life that she's ever had antibiotics. At least the amoxicillin knocked out her ear infection....

Dd is allergic to the Penicillin family, as am I. It can be very frightening to watch your baby suffer through a severe reaction:(

I am glad she is doing better.

One thing: with a reaction that severe our ped also told us to avoid the cephalosporins, as they are closely related. Unfortunately, a substitute pediatrician did not think it was an issue and insisted that only a small percentage of the population are allergic to both. I know now that to be untrue, but I did allow them to prescribe them. The reaction was much less severe, but scary nonetheless:(

A bracelet is a must. I am also allergic to morphine, and even after discovering that fact during a hip surgery, multiple discussions and having it in my records I was once administered morphine when I had a kidney stone.

:grouphug:  Nothing new to add, other than that my oldest is also allergic to amoxycillin, as we learned when she was 3, at Christmas - she was redder than the red lights on the tree.  It's a very scary thing, and the rash took several days to subside, but she's been fine ever since.  I'm careful to always mention/list her allergy even though it's on her charts.  Hang in there, both of you.

Just a note for those who say the had a mild reaction to penicillin, watch out as I did not find out till I was in my 20s about my allergy to -cillin family when I went into anaphayltic in the hospital.  Luckily I was in the hospital as my throat swelled shut in a matter of seconds. It was a strong pre-op dose of a common -cillin family antibiotic (I think Keflex). 

When they told me later to avoid everything in the -cillin family I was surprised as I grew up taking that pink penicillin for freq. ear infections. They told me I might of had a minor reaction that my parents did not notice and it built up over time. So the for a while at low doses you might not notice much, but one large dose like in a hospital could really be a problem.

But now I find it easy to avoid. I just make sure everyone knows my allergy.

edited for spelling, 'cuz I haven't had any caffeine yet!

My brother was rushed to ER and diagnosed with a penicillin allergy back in the 60's when there were few alternatives. It was never a problem, even then, finding alternatives.

Am I the only one surprised to find that penicillin is even still used? I guess I thought it had become so ineffective that they don't even bother with it anymore. I learned something new today. :)

ETA: He had a medic alert necklace but never wore it. It always made my mother nervous to send him out in the world without it, but even when she made him wear it as a kid, he'd take it off once he was out of her sight. Sigh.

Just a note for those who say the had a mild reaction to penicillin, watch out as I did not find out till I was in my 20s about my allergy to -cillin family when I went into anaphayltic in the hospital. <snip for brevity> They told me I might of had a minor reaction that my parents did not notice and it built up over time. 

I agree and would go one step further and say this could happen with any common allergen. A mild reaction one time (peanuts, shellfish, any medicine) could become full blown anaphylaxis the next time.

The code for the medical alert bracelet is pcn, fwiw.

My allergist swears up and down that penicillin allergies are not hereditary. Sulfa ones are. Being allergic to penicillin and cephalosporins still leaves you the sulfa family. It's trickier to have both a penicillin and a sulfa allergy. You can hopefully still take cephalosporins....but the drugs outside of those three classes are very expensive. Sometimes, depending on the severity of the allergy and the severity of the illness, they will choose just to premedicate you with steroids. It's a rare circumstance, but one our family has found itself in at certain times.  Given the amount of steroids your poor girl is needing, though, I doubt they will ever give it to her again.

I think my allergist is a loon on the penicillin allergy not being hereditary thing, though. If it truly is random luck, I should go to Vegas. ;)

It took a few weeks for skin to clear up, but the breathing stuff was cleared up after the first 48h. If no one warned you about 'roid rage.....weird sleeping, extreme crying, and hunger like a football team are completely normal once you get above 40-60mg of steroids/day.  Also, if you ever need a longterm mega dose, decadron leads to less swelling than prednisone. ;)

FWIW, when you get so allergic to stuff that you start qualifying to get into drugs of last resort, it sometimes takes a couple of days to order them in through a retail pharmacy. It may be a conversation you want to have with your doctor/allergist so that you get a game plan in place. It's not just the expense that becomes the problem---some are iv administration, and dealing with becoming really ill while traveling gets complicated.  Hopefully things will never get that bad, but you may want to chat up your sister as to how she has handled things. Even little things like picking up MRSA from a public pool (knee scrape on the edge of the pool) can become huge problems when you can't use the normal stuff. (Medicinal honey and silverimpregnated dressings are what we used when it hadn't gone systemic, fwiw.)

I would be shocked if penicillin allergy isn't hereditary. It affects, what, 10% of the population? But nearly 50% of my family?

My family are pretty much all allergic to sulfas and amoxicillin.  We learned my 3 yo was just this past summer.  She got a horrible case of hives and had swallowing problems. That was terrifying.  She needed benadryl for almost a week. They called in zithromax, but our insurance would only let us buy 2 days worth at a time.  It was ridiculous. I am so thankful for cephalosporins-they're about the only ones I'm not allergic to or that work-I was sick enough as a kid that most stopped working for me. I get hallucinations from sulfas.  :lol:

Hives all over my back were my reaction to penicillin at about 8 years of age. Nothing else happened.

I think they used tetracycline as my go-to antibiotic after that. Wish they would have just left me alone or given me herbs.

Most of the time I am given cephalexin family antibiotics and have no reaction. It works well enough for me and some health pros are surprised I do okay with it.

I try to stay away from having to use antibiotics. Nasty stuff!

Glad to hear she did fine through the night, I hope you get caught up on your sleep tonight!

I have a ds that reacted like that, he even had skin peel off (sorry TMI). He was on steroids and Benadryl for a couple of weeks, and he still had weird purple lines appear all over him for a month. It was a long ordeal, and I will not allow him to have omnicef or amoxicillin anymore either, because they are related. It will be ok, but you have to be aggressive in treating it and know it will take a while to clear up.