Menu

Kicking diet coke!

3girls4me

Hey ladies!

I'm at about 2 1/2 weeks with no diet coke. I've tried a handful of times over the last 20 years to kick it with no success. I really want to stop this time. It even sounds so crazy to have to work so hard to stop drinking a carbonated beverage. I didn't realize I was so addicted.

So......first question - when will the cravings end???? And any words of encouragement from those that have succeeded?

Thanks!!!

Sugar is hopefully next!

Ooh, no words of wisdom on the cravings really, but after 20 years I would imagine it is much more than a physical addiction. It is going to take a long time I would guess.

I just wanted to say congratulations for finally conquering it and making the decision to do something positive for your self! Woo hoo!

Plain seltzer water here. Turns out I was addicted to bubbles, not diet coke.

Me too! I really love British Cider. Cold, crisp, and bubbly.

Hubby bought me a soda machine with seltzer and a tart apple juice? Perfect. It wasn't the drink (even though occasionally the alcohol in it was a bonus!) but the cold refreshing bubbles:)

Oh dear. It is so hard. I have such cravings still five years after I broke the habit. I allow myself to have one now and then. My sister always has them at her house and as soon as I walk through the door, I need one. Once I knew there were some in the fridge in the garage (we had guests staying with us otherwise it is banned from here) and I was recovering from ankle surgery and on crutches. All I could do was think about it. I had to have it, but how would I manage the stairs to the garage and then how would I carry it. I put on a backpack to carry it in and hopped on the steps...I knew it was a addiction. I have given up coffee and alcohol for extended times but never had that kind of craving. Be strong!

It took about 2 months for me. Once that was over, I did not crave them any longer. I was extremely addicted and drank lots of Diet Coke every day. Perhaps it is individual since others have different experiences. I did not quit cold turkey, but drank one can a day for 2-3 weeks, then tapered off from there. Hope that helps. 

I kicked it the Diet Coke habit a few years ago.  I actually kicked it twice, but each time, after a few months, I was just bored to tears with water. I tried water with lemon, lime, oranges, a spritz of cranberry juice.  None of those really did it for me. I finally switched to unsweet tea with stevia.  I now drink unsweet tea and I'm getting used to using less and less stevia. 

Lisa

I feel your pain. I kicked the daily habit a couple years ago. I told my dh to not buy Diet Coke for me even if I asked. That worked for me since he does the grocery shopping. I do now allow myself an occasional diet drink when we go out to eat or when we're on vacation. Somehow it just helps me if I know I can have one once in awhile. I figure one or two a month on average isn't too bad, especially compared to the one or two a day I was drinking before I quit. I also do drink LaCroix carbonated water at home, and that helps. Good luck!

I'm 30 or so years the other side of drinking a lot of pop (Diet Coke).  You get there and then you really, really don't miss it anymore. About 20-25 years ago I tried some sips again, and didn't even like it anymore.  That's been my experience anyway.  I don't crave it, ever, at all.  Now I drink lemon water (1/4 lemon squeezed into a glass of water; rinse mouth out after with plain water) or just water. 

Hang on! 

Thanks ladies! This is all encouraging! So far I have lived on water and sometimes tea. But yes - the addiction isn't just physical. I actually feel sad drinking water with a burger and fries :)

I will get through it!!! At least the headaches haven't been as bad as I thought they would be!

I kicked my diet coke habit by drinking seltzer mixed with juice. Now I can occasionally drink one (and I really mean rarely, like once every few months) and I'm fine.

I do understand the addiction. I used to drink DC all day every day. I feel better since stopping though.

I quit my coke Zero habit about 2 months ago.

It was causing my hair to fall out.

It actually wasn't that bad, surprisingly. I'd tried in the past, but now when I had a really good reason to stop, I was able to completely stop.

I kept a water bottle handy alll day and would sip when I craved. Especially in the car.

When I started doing Whole30 eating, the diet coke is what I missed most. Unsweetened tea was allowed, so I drank that to ease the caffeine withdrawals.

It's been nearly 8 weeks, and I no longer get the cravings at home, only out places (like taking the kids to McDonalds or going to a picnic). Saturday we were at a friend's cabin, there was all kinds of food there I couldn't eat, and nearly everyone was drinking soda. I cracked and took a couple of drinks out of dh's diet coke. That was enough, and I left it alone.

Interesting what fairfarmhand said about hair falling out. I just noticed yesterday that I'm losing less hair in the shower. Maybe there's a connection!

I never had a huge habit, so my advice may not be overly helpful.  I did get up to 2-3 a day for a while though when I was working full time.

I ended up simply cutting back slowly.  I got down to just one 12 ounce can per day and thought I was doing well.  Then I decided to cut to 1/2 a can per day.  Pretty soon I cut back to a two cans per week, and then only when I went out to eat.

Now I can almost take it or leave it, even in a restaurant.  I still occasionally have a can, about one or two per month at most and only if I really am craving it.  It happens every now and then.

Dawn

Tried several times to kick this habit. I crave Diet Coke. I love it. It is a physical and mental addiction.

The most successful thing I did was to divide the habit into parts: the addiction to nutrasweet (aspertame), the addiction to bubbles, the addiction to sipping all day, and the addiction to caffeine.  Then, I removed ONE of those.  I started with the artificial sweetener. WOW, do a lot of drinks have artificial sweeteners!!!  I switched to regular pop and to tea with sugar.  Next, I removed the bubbles.  That was actually harder. Tea is nice, but the bubbles are wonderful.  And that's where I failed each time.  Someone fixed me a St. Croix seltzer and fruit juice mix at a party. It was wonderful. I think I could drink that instead of Diet Coke.

You've inspired me to try again!!

I drink Organo Gold coffee and tea. Diet Coke has been shown to cause tumor growth. I'm prone to that anyway (3 surgeries later), so that's a deterrent for me personally. I do let myself have one a couple of times a year, but I also notice that when I do, my carb cravings kick in. The carbs really make me sick, so that's another deterrent. 

I haven't completely kicked it but I have success with unsweetened tea most of the time. But my go to drink when I'm craving it is San pallegrino with just a splash of real cranberry juice and half a lime. In reality it tastes so much better than diet coke but I totally understand the craving. Mine comes with other foods - like potato chips- so I have to give those up too. It's hardest for me in the morning because I don't like coffee and in the summer I don't want hot tea. But I've found most times if I drink a big glass of water the craving is mostly gone.

Good luck! I know it's awful for me but I also understand how hard it is to quit.

I have REALLY cut back on the amount I used to drink....I used to drink several containers a day (either cans or those little bottles).....now I try and limit myself to 1 per day and drink either tea or water....I allow myself to get a soda if I am out of the house-like running errands but other than that I try and stick to water/tea....and I've noticed that it doesn't taste as good as I used to think LOL....

I kicked a 10 can a day/20 year Diet Coke habit cold turkey nearly 3 years ago.  The first two weeks were awful with the headaches, but honestly, it was the fuzzy-headed-ness that really got to me for a good month.  Once those symptoms cleared, I found fighting the cravings were not that bad.  I missed drinking DC with pizza most of all.  

I found that substituting a mineral water (Pelligrino with lime) really helped when I was craving carbonation.

Hang in there - you can do this!  The worst is over.  Promise! :hurray:

I know someone that kicked that habit by drinking Izze Soda a couple times a day and then cutting that back to once very so often.  You still get the fizz with those but it's a more natural soda.  

Have you tried the diet drinks in the natural food section?  Not sure that it's much better for you but at least a start.

I used to have a very bad addiction to drinking regular coke and kicked that habit 23 years ago.  You can do this!!! :grouphug: