Menu

Question for baby wearing mamas

aggieamy

My family is going on a European cruise next summer and DS will be 18 months old. I want to get a wrap that I will be able to use to carry him then so we don't have to use a stroller everywhere. I used a Moby when he was newborn and have a Mai tai I use occasionally now. Is an 18 month too old to carry in a Mai Tai? I carried him this summer in one for five days at Disney and it wrecked my back so I'm a little worried about attempting it again but I also have been losing weight and working out so hopefully that will help.

Would a woven wrap work better? How much would a good one cost? Any on lines stores to recommend? I did a quick search and saw a price range of $100-$300. I would prefer to spend $100 or less but if I need to spend more for better quality I can.

Does anyone in Europe baby wear? We'll be in London, Sweden, Denmark, Estonia, and St Petersburg.

I feel a Mai Tai should work if you put him on your back in a "backpack" configuration. But really, at 18 months, what about a regular old hiking type backpack carrier? 

Better yet, I would be happy to come along on your trip and just carry DS for you! LOL!
Your trip sounds fantastic!!!!

At that age, I'd go with a carrier that puts more of the weight on the hips. A woven wrap is really supportive and distributes the weight well but, to my understanding, is still putting most of the weight on the shoulders. Same with Mei Tai carriers - I had one that was really hurting me by about 6 months, but I could carry the baby in a backpacking style carrier with no problems. One of the Soft Structured carriers (like the Ergo or Beco) might work well (I'm hoping so, since I just bought one!)

See if you can find one to borrow for an afternoon to see if it will work for you.

When DS was little, we had a backpack stroller - you could use it either as a frame-style backpack or as a stroller (like this one). It wasn't the best of either, but it was a pretty useful combo. 

I still occasionally back-carry my almost 3-year-old in my mei tai, particularly if we're in London!  I'm afraid I've got no advice on wraps because I just didn't get on with them particularly.

In London baby wearing is fairly normal, because if you use public transport at all you can't get a buggy on the Tube and there's often no space on buses.  I can't comment directly on the other places you've mentioned specifically, but I'm fairly sure it wouldn't be comment-worthy in Denmark or Sweden.

No one would blink an eye at baby wearing in Sweden or Denmark but I will also say that in Sweden a stroller is easy peasy. Everywhere is pretty much stroller adapted and where you can't take strollers there will be stroller parking spaces. So a combination of one of those foldable strollers and a wrap here would be the norm :). Let me know if you have any other questions about Sweden :)

Does anyone in Europe baby wear? We'll be in London, Sweden, Denmark, Estonia, and St Petersburg.

A customer turned up at our office (in Scotland) yesterday with her toddler in a front carrier - it's absolutely normal.

ETA: for London, an umbrella-fold stroller mostly works for getting around.  Two exceptions are the Tube (London underground) and buses.  The Tube, being 150 years old, is not well adapted for strollers and wheelchairs - there are lots of stairs, and long escalators (you are encouraged not to use these with a stroller).  So if you are getting around London on your own, I would recommend a skinny, folding stroller plus a non-bulky carrier, so that you can put him into the carrier for the Tube/buses.  The carrier will also be useful for places like The Tower of London, which is all stairs.  Just so you know, 'strollers' are often called 'pushchairs' in the UK.

L

I am from Europe, and yes, people do wear babies - but when my kids were that age and weight, I far preferred to carry them on my back in a backpack carrier from a mountaineering gear manufacturer, which was the most useful baby/kid gear I ever purchased.  If a lot of walking is involved, I highly recommend it. Far more practical than a stroller, and the weight rests on the hips and not the shoulders.

I loooooooove my woven wraps for infants, and my mei tai for older infants, but for the toddler stage, I prefer my Ergo. For that age, I like something very fast and non-bulky and which puts the weight on my hips. So I'd get an Ergo, Beco, Tula, or some other soft structured carrier. And do use it for a while before your trip so that you build up muscles.

I use/used an ERgo for that age as well. I did try a MeiTi and Didymos before but nothing beat my Ergo for how it distributed the weight and ease of use for me and baby, worked great for dh as well. I tried a backpack carrier but it didn't work well for us, cannot remember the name but it was pretty well reviewed and we paid out the nose, thankfully we bought Amazon and could return.

I'd do a combo of stroller and soft-structured carrier.  Having the option of stuffing the carrier away if the baby wants to walk is nice.  The hiking-type backpacks would not have that convenience - you're stuck with it if you decide to take it.  If the kid is in the carrier, having the stroller to put other junk in is nice!  I love the Ergo for putting most of the weight of the kid on my hips rather than shoulders.  And now they make cute ones. 

Whatever you decide, use it a good bit before you go!  For the babe's comfort and to get your own body used to bearing the weight in whatever fashion you choose.

If you wrecked your back now and he will be a year heavier and wigglier then, I would hesitate a little. I'd definitely use a carrier that puts weight on your hips (Ergo is easy to find--even Target carries them now so you could try it and return if it's uncomfortable.) I have some back and abdominal issues after c/sections, so DH typically wears our littles on vacation. Is that an option for y'all? Our Ergo is plain black and not "girly" patterned or anything. They have one in breathable Sport fabric too now. Depending on how heavy your child will be and how much wearing, a more structured back carrier might be better. You/DH can try those at REI.

I love woven wraps, but there's a decent learning curve before you get consistently comfortable back wrapping jobs. Plus, for a bigger child, I would usually want multiple wrap passes for support, and that could be warm depending on the weather.

I think in your circumstances I would go with a soft structure carrier. Tula and Kinderpack make toddler size carriers, which would almost certainly be much more comfortable for a little one that age than something like an Ergo that is designed for a smaller baby. Kinderpack actually even makes a preschool size carrier that might work depending on his size at that point.

Just going to second (or third) that yes baby wearing is very normal in Europe. You routinely see all the big brand carriers like ergo and all the woven and stretch wraps on the street, so you'll not stand out. I do live in a bit of an alternative area so maybe more than average baby wearing here but it's not unusual anywhere.

I've used woven and stretchy wraps and structured and mai tais . I like them all but for a toddler I liked the Ergo because it was so quick to put on and off and less trailing fabric getting dirty on the floor as you wrap.

For what it's worth, I have brought a small, cheap umbrella stroller to Europe and to other exotic locale more than once. You know, the kind that are $25 and hanging on a rack at WalMart or some such. My husband and I call them "disposable strollers," lol. When I traveled with toddlers, I found that taking a snuggly and the small stroller covered all the bases.

My favorite for toddlers was my Ergo. Hands down it had the best support. I used to wear my son on my back for naps at work (I was lucky to have a job where he could come to work with me). In my Ergo, I was able to wear him on my back until I was 5 1/2 month pregnant with DD and he was 2 years old.

For toddlers, my recommendation would be a toddler Tula or Kinderpack. My husband and I bought a Kelty backpack style carrier and returned it the same day. It was horrid. I would also bring a small umbrella stroller to give your back a break.

You can see a nice comparison of SSCs here. http://thehappyhippiehomemaker.blogspot.com/2013/05/ergo-vs-boba-vs-tula-carrier-comparison.html

There are lots of others online if you Google. 

As an aside, in the pic of the man babywearing the Tula, you can see the blue and white sails of our boat in the background. That was a fun photoshoot. :)

I feel a Mai Tai should work if you put him on your back in a "backpack" configuration. But really, at 18 months, what about a regular old hiking type backpack carrier? 

Better yet, I would be happy to come along on your trip and just carry DS for you! LOL!

Your trip sounds fantastic!!!!

Why didn't I think of that in the first place?!?!  Bringing you along solves all our problems.   :laugh:

Have you been baby wearing on and off? I found as long as I did regularly it was ok but if you haven't and you do it for a few days straight you can do yourself an injury. It might be worth trying to carry a bit each day to build up endurance.

I wore DS a lot when he was tiny in a Moby and then didn't for a few months and then we went to Disney.  The convenience was amazing of just putting him on and going because he could ride the rides and was so happy.  Five days of heat, being out of shape, and being unprepared for all that walking wrecked me.  I've already lost weight since then and am working on being fitter so it won't be as hard.

I love woven wraps, but there's a decent learning curve before you get consistently comfortable back wrapping jobs. Plus, for a bigger child, I would usually want multiple wrap passes for support, and that could be warm depending on the weather.

I think in your circumstances I would go with a soft structure carrier. Tula and Kinderpack make toddler size carriers, which would almost certainly be much more comfortable for a little one that age than something like an Ergo that is designed for a smaller baby. Kinderpack actually even makes a preschool size carrier that might work depending on his size at that point.

I'm lucky in town we have a baby wearing club and for a small fee each year you can rent from them.  It looks like I want to try the Ergo, the Tule, Kinderpack, a woven wrap, and ...

DH will just be delighted I'm not buying them without trying them first.   :lol:

You can see a nice comparison of SSCs here. http://thehappyhippiehomemaker.blogspot.com/2013/05/ergo-vs-boba-vs-tula-carrier-comparison.html

There are lots of others online if you Google. 

As an aside, in the pic of the man babywearing the Tula, you can see the blue and white sails of our boat in the background. That was a fun photoshoot. :)

How cool!  

I have the Deuter referenced above. It works great with my 2 year old and is really easy taking on/off. I don't get too hot wearing like I did with the Moby when he was younger. My son loves that he can see, he usually sings the whole time he's in it.

My family is going on a European cruise next summer and DS will be 18 months old. I want to get a wrap that I will be able to use to carry him then so we don't have to use a stroller everywhere. I used a Moby when he was newborn and have a Mai tai I use occasionally now. Is an 18 month too old to carry in a Mai Tai? I carried him this summer in one for five days at Disney and it wrecked my back so I'm a little worried about attempting it again but I also have been losing weight and working out so hopefully that will help.

Would a woven wrap work better? How much would a good one cost? Any on lines stores to recommend? I did a quick search and saw a price range of $100-$300. I would prefer to spend $100 or less but if I need to spend more for better quality I can.

So so you know who the maker or quality of your mai tei? I ask because I'm a mei tai girl, they are my carriers of choice. I do I've used a knit wrap when they are itsy bitsy but switch to a mei tai when they are about fifteen pounds. I have tried the Ergo and I don't feel the love. I've tried woven wraps but never a really high quality one.

Thinking on this, have you looked at buckle tais? That wild out more weight on your hips while still having the super adjustability and wide straps of the mei tai. The current carrier I'm working on is a buckle tai. Do you have any unusual circumstances like being very curvy, very thin, etc?

I used an Ergo until my youngest was about 3.5 yrs old.  Dh, who has back problems, was able to carry him with it on hikes without any problems.  I hope you find something that works!

SJ

Same here, we used ours when both girls were up to around 4 and it was sufficiently big and comfy even at that age, I have small kids though.

• 2 weeks later...

So so you know who the maker or quality of your mai tei? I ask because I'm a mei tai girl, they are my carriers of choice. I do I've used a knit wrap when they are itsy bitsy but switch to a mei tai when they are about fifteen pounds. I have tried the Ergo and I don't feel the love. I've tried woven wraps but never a really high quality one.

Thinking on this, have you looked at buckle tais? That wild out more weight on your hips while still having the super adjustability and wide straps of the mei tai. The current carrier I'm working on is a buckle tai. Do you have any unusual circumstances like being very curvy, very thin, etc?

This is the carrier I have.  It's an inexpensive one from amazon.  

http://www.amazon.com/Infantino-Sash-Carrier-Black-Gray/dp/B005C9ODQ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=8-1&keywords=mei+tai+baby+carrier

I've been talking it over with DH and am looking at either a  Tula or a Kinderpack.  He's fine with the cost because it looks like you can sell them on eBay for mostly what you paid for them.  

I haven't looked at buckle tais yet?  Are they similar to SSC?  I am very curvy and 20 pounds overweight.  I know that's not helping.