Menu

Boys are born to prefer dolls

Are they sure it is a preference and not a sensory thing?  I mean what baby would not prefer something soft over something hard. They were talking about male babies up to five months. I am not trying to make you feel bad I just don't know what this article is trying to prove? Babies don't have a lot of ability to reason and think.

There is a difference between boys and girls and how they think dispite some people wanting to think otherwise.  It is only natural that these differences would become more apparent as the child grows and matures.  (not directed at op)

My thought is that the dolls held their attention for the simple reason that they looked like human faces.

I don't think a study like that is at all meaningful. Does anyone really believe that baby boys are born liking toy cars?

I know it's supposed to be about gender differences, but I don't think this particular study offers much evidence of anything. The test subjects were aged UP TO 5 MONTHS. Those are tiny babies! Of course they would spend more time looking at a familiar object like a human face, than at a car which would mean absolutely nothing to them.

Guest inoubliable

3.5 months to 5 months isn't what I'd think of as a "young boy", though. 
My babies liked looking at themselves in the mirror, and they liked staring at other people and playing with their faces. Maybe the dolls are similar for them?

I don't know. My youngest still likes playing with dolls. He's asking for a new one for his birthday. *shrug* I don't overthink it.

Didn't even bother reading it.  After raising sons and being around friends with many sons, I don't think it really makes a difference when you see them tackle each other for no apparent reason, or whack each other with sticks.  Sure there are some boys that prefer to shake their heads and watch, but realistically the majority of them turn out to be wild beasts, until they grow up - maybe.

Didn't even bother reading it. After raising sons and being around friends with many sons, I don't think "studies" really make a difference when you see them tackle each other for no apparent reason, or whack each other with sticks. Sure there are some boys that prefer to shake their heads and watch, but realistically the majority of them turn out to be wild beasts, until they grow up - maybe.

So you're saying that maybe those baby boys were staring at those dolls because they were plotting their untimely demise? ;)

Maybe they were planning to run them over with the toy cars.

The plot thickens. :D

babies like soft things and babies like things that look like people. That is going to make babies, regardless of gender, attracted to stuffies and dollies. My oldest never really wanted to play with dollies and that's fine. My youngest boy still loves them and is begging for a third 'child' so that his two boys have a sister. He says it's not right for them to grow up without a female 'influence' in their life. I told him I wasn't buying another doll right now as it wasn't his birthday and his dolls had me and 'Auntie' (his sister) as their female influence.

I gave my son dolls from an early age.  Despite my efforts, he wasn't particularly interested until around age 2.  A friend was telling me about how her almost-3-year-old daughter was given a toy plane by her dad after he returned from a trip.  She loved it--she wrapped it in a blanket and cuddled it like a baby.  That very morning my son had been pushing one of his Bitty Twins in a stroller.  He was ramming it into the wall, saying, "Ouch! Ouch" repeatedly on behalf of the baby.  I found this pretty hilarious.

He suddently was very interested around 3.5 when I explained about his new sister on the way.  Now at almost 5 he plays with his Bitty Twins quite often, and his interactions are (mostly) non-violent, though the boy doll is fond of jumping off things and doing flips.  He doesn't see them as girl toys at all yet.

DD is newly 1.  She has been obsessed with baby dolls from the time she was just a few months old.  She "begged" for her first doll at the store when she was 4.5 months old.  When we walk down the doll aisle (just as we did with my son), she squeals and grins and reaches and clamors for the dolls.  DS never acted like that.  She already hugs them to her neck if I make crying noises on behalf of the doll.  I did the same with DS at that age and he ignored me.

I've provided dolls for both of my sons. They haven't been major hits.

My oldest son was not allowed to have toy weapons. He enlisted in the National Guard the minute he was old enough and volunteered to go to Afghanistan, where he would have died still be if his unit hadn't been pulled at the last minute. He's now waitlisted for the Highway Patrol Academy so.....

I do respect the wishes of first time boy moms and put the weapons away before play dates if asked, but my house definitely looks like a toy prepper bunker if not a toy terra wrist cell. It's not so much that I think getting rid of the "forbidden fruit" aspect of toy weapons is going to turn ds2 into a pacifist as it is that I'm just tired and restricting access to toys didn't work anyway so why bother?

Ahhhh! She's so cute!

But we're gonna need a double blind study with eye tracking video in order to confirm that she truly DOES like that airplane. :lol:

Good point.  Who am I to comment on a "scientific study"?  How ignorant of me.

What a useless conclusion!

We've never really had many baby dolls in our house. My younger boys enjoy a lot of "girly" toys. I could claim to be a parent bucking stereotypes, or I could admit that I find it stupid to buy more toys when they can play with their sisters' hand me downs. Not sure it matters to them one way or another.

My 4 yo boy loves playing Bitty Baby with DD, and has been asking for a set of Bitty Twins of his own for Christmas.  He has several stuffed animals and dolls of his own, but he likes Bitty.  He also loves trucks, dirt, and is very rough and tumble. 

My oldest son, now 10, never really took to dolls despite being provided with them.  I did sew him a very, very simple small waldorf bunting style doll when he was 2 and he liked sleeping with it.

So you're saying that maybe those baby boys were staring at those dolls because they were plotting their untimely demise? ;)

Maybe they were planning to run them over with the toy cars.

The plot thickens. :D

That's what my oldest son did. We had a doll for him when was young and he like to run it over with his toy dump truck. Or let if fall off a cliff (the edge of the bed). He is not a psychotic maniac. That's just how he felt dolls should be played with.

That's what my oldest son did. We had a doll for him when was young and he like to run it over with his toy dump truck. Or let if fall off a cliff (the edge of the bed). He is not a psychotic maniac. That's just how he felt dolls should be played with.

I would tell people that my son liked Barbies...he thought they made good hammers!

That's a ridiculous study, because babies don't really know much about anything at under five months.  I mean, they don't know what a doll is and don't know what a truck is.  They're not logically thinking, "That's what I choose to play with."  They're reacting to a sensory reaction, which is most likely the face because it resembles a human.

I'm not saying that boys wouldn't play with dolls if given a chance, especially if they didn't have any societal norms influencing them.  I'm mostly saying the study doesn't prove anything at all, really.  Societal norms are subtle though, and they sneak in whether you think they are or not.

We happened to have a lot of the same toys because for five children, well, it was just cheaper and then they could all play together.  We had five children in 6.5 years, so they were into a lot of the same things at the same time.  My son loved stuffed animals, and we had little plastic people that he played with all the time (with his sisters).  He did not like his doll though (which was a boy doll) or his Aladdin barbie.

that is not a study of anything beyond what the authors wanted to find. Babies that young aren't playing. They will 'play' with anything that gets put in their hands.

Both my boys enjoyed playing with dolls and stuffed animals as soon as they could make their preferences known. I know for a fact that my 14 year old has the doll I made for him hidden at the foot of his bed. He thinks we don't know. My younger boy is the type who sleeps surrounded by his 'friends' every night. I am pretty sure he talks to them for a while before he falls asleep. When he was younger he took his baby with him everywhere. They also love legos and cars and swords.

My niece doesn't really like playing with dolls or legos or cars. She prefers to draw and craft and likes playing with small plastic animals. She is likely to have a small plastic cow in her pocket, lol.

Different kids like different things.

Umm...what needs to be said about the article has really already been said.  My 5 have always had dolls.  I have 2 children who showed an extremely keen interest in playing with dolls (both girls), from a very young age, and 3 who did not.  My older boy (once he hit toddler-hood) was all about cars and dinosaurs.  My younger boy loved stuffed animals and dinosaurs.  My oldest daughter still loves her dolls (she's nearly 13).  My middle daughter tolerates dolls and really likes Barbies (which my older daughter never really cared for).  My youngest daughter plays with all of the toys, but strongly prefers her baby doll....which actually belonged to middle sister, but she claimed as soon as she was walking.  

Why is there an incessant need to prove that typical gender behavior is not typical? What's wrong with being typical? There will always be a large group of any behavior in any given area, and then there will be the smaller percentages and outliers of other behaviors. I think it's just the nature of genetics and the world.