Menu

Do I need an RV, travel trailer, what?

kroe1

I work nights about 1 hour from home. The shifts are long so driving back and forth on no sleep is tough. I could park an RV permanently close to work for about $1000 a month. It is a resort community which is why the monthly hook up rate is so high. The cost of a new class B vehicle would be about $100,000. This total is still much cheaper than renting or buying a condo/apartment.

I would also need to take the vehicle with me for DD's dance competitions. I hate staying in hotels at these things because I am afraid of bedbugs. Most locations have RV parks relatively close by. But, I need something small enough that I can park at the performance hall where these things are held.

Then about twice a year I would like to drive something to my son's house which is a two day drive. It would be nice to have a place to stay overnight on the road, but not much room to park it at my son's house once we get there.

Someone just suggested that I get a travel trailer instead of an RV. This would cost about $50,000 or more less. I have a Cadillac Escalade which could probably pull a small one. But, I am very nervous about driving an RV, much less a long travel trailer hooked up to a long truck.

Does anyone have ideas about the best way to go for my needs? I am not a very strong person so hooking the travel trailer up to the truck might even be impossible for me if it takes any muscle.

Are you looking at living in this full time or just sleeping in it at night after you work and using it for the competitions?  If you just need to sleep in it and use for competitions, you might be able to find an RV that isn't much bigger than a full size van that would have a bed and maybe a toilet and sink.

Their are pros and cons to each.

With a Class B (or any motorized RV) you've got the maintenance expense of another vehicle.  And once you get to a destination it's not usually convenient to drive them around to see the sights.  Driving all but the smallest of RVs on narrow and/or crowded city streets can be quite an adventure, although you'd do okay with a B.  But it's a hassle to unhook water/sewer/electricity and store everything inside for traveling, go where you want to go and then have to hook everything up and unpack again when you get back.  The solution to that is to pull a car (a "toad" or "dinghy" in RVing slang).  It can cost a bit to outfit a vehicle for towing behind an RV.  If you have a vehicle that can be towed "four down," you need a tow bar, safety chains and a braking device.  Otherwise you'd need a tow dolly.  Those aren't always convenient to park/store at a campground.

Travel trailers are less expensive, and you don't have another motor/chassis to maintain.  But you need a tow vehicle (which you may already have).  You have to be very careful that your tow vehicle can handle the loaded weight of the trailer.  There can be a big difference in loaded versus unloaded weight.  Loaded weight means you need to take into account all the fresh/gray/black water you may be hauling as well as the weight of everything you pack into it.  Don't take the word of any RV salesperson on this.  Some of them will tell you anything to make a sale.  This is a big safety issue and something you want to research for yourself.

(FWIW, weight is also an issue in motorized RVs.  It's not uncommon for them to be very near their maximum weight rating right off the factory floor.  Which means by the time you half fill your tank with water, load on a few possessions and a few people you may be overweight.  Again, something to research before buying).

I think there's a much bigger learning curve in pulling a travel trailer versus driving a smallish RV.  I know I'd be horrible at backing up a travel trailer.

When we were doing our research and shopping seven years ago, we ultimately decided to go with a Class A RV.  There are four of us and two pets, so we needed the room of an A.  Plus we felt certain most of our usage would involve road trips more than driving somewhere and staying in one spot for days or a week at a time.  So the ease of setting up was a big issue for us.

ETA:  Regarding the difference in buying an RV or travel trailer versus a condo -- A condo is going to retain it's value much better.  Depreciation on new RVs and travel trailers is astronomical.  Repairs are expensive.  There's a shortage of qualified RV technicians, so they command very high hourly rates.  No one we know who owns an RV or TT thinks of it as anything other than an enjoyable but expensive hobby.  People who go into it with the idea of saving money are almost always sorely disappointed (and often dismayed).

The truck camper would probably be a great option. It might be a pain to have to set it up every night, though. Check if the resort lots are paved and level, so that you pretty much just need to drive in and set up the supports.

I'd consider the typical weather for sleeping - is it hot and humid so that you'd need an a/c unit in your camper? If so, then remember that these things are pretty noisy and this might inhibit your sleep. Also, in the winter (if you have that) what would you do? I'd also make sure that the campground/resort has toilets and showers that you can use. Some do not, as you're expected to have these in your RV.

Are you looking at living in this full time or just sleeping in it at night after you work and using it for the competitions? 

No, I would not live in it full time, but would spend the night and need to shower about 10 days a month.

Must be a heck of a job if you are willing to spend $50,000--$100,000 for a vehicle plus $12,000 per year for a parking fee...

Yes, it is a fabulous, once in a lifetime job.

Their are pros and cons to each.

Your post is very helpful. How long does it take to unhook and hook up one of these things? It would not be an issue when I am working, but it would be at the dance competitions. Thank you for the weight warnings. I do not know anyone who has ever RV'd before. I do not even know what to ask.

Have you considered a slide in truck camper instead? You could get a good used truck and a slide in easily for $20k or less, and then you might not even have to pay for a permanent place to park it near work either. 8_5cover.jpg

Do these things have a shower? It looks very small. Plus, I would be sleeping during the day. I really need a generator with great air conditioning.

IMO, it would be difficult to hook/unhook a trailer by yourself, I would think. If you steer your vehicle perfectly, you can hook it up easily. But IME, that rarely happened and DH usually would have to lift the trailer a tad to get it on the hitch . It also takes some muscle to wind up all the leveling things (sorry, cannot think of the correct word), pull out the tubes to drain your tanks, etc. It can be a bit of a pain to get it set up, but if you have full hookups (can empty your tanks without moving it) maybe your DH could help you especially if you don't need to move it often. 

I would think it would be hard to park a vehicle AND a travel trailer on parking lot for performances. Do you know if they would allow this?

That said, it would be much, much cheaper than an RV. 

Well, if you had a permanent spot then you wouldn't have to move the camper around at all, would you? You could even have someone else deliver it to your site and just leave it there all set up for you. If that's the case, I'd think that a travel trailer would be your best bet because you can get one that will have enough room, a shower, kitchen, AC/furnace, fridge and everything. 

Of course, that means you'd still have to figure out something else for your twice a year trips to see your son or your daughter's dance competitions... 

In your situation, I think an enclosed RV would work better. Class Bs also have loaded weight issues, so that's another point to research. 

Hooking up a trailer and backing up can be a pain. We had a pop-up tent trailer when I was a kid, my dad ended up cursing every time (and he never cursed). 

Here's an active forum that might give you more ideas on which is better for you. http://www.rv.net/forum/

Do these things have a shower? It looks very small. Plus, I would be sleeping during the day. I really need a generator with great air conditioning.

For $1000 a month, I would assume that includes full hook-ups which means electricity along with water and sewer. You would just plug into the provided electricity and would not need a generator.

My parents have a travel trailer that they tow behind a truck. It is very nice and has a decent sized bathroom, queen bed, pretty close to a full kitchen. Very comfortable for the two of them. They have done a lot of traveling around the US in it, and they have it down to about an hour for setup, but it does take both of them to do the setting up, because Mom helps Dad get it all leveled on campground terrain, which can very. If you have a permanent spot to set it up, that would make it easier.

Your post is very helpful. How long does it take to unhook and hook up one of these things? It would not be an issue when I am working, but it would be at the dance competitions. Thank you for the weight warnings. I do not know anyone who has ever RV'd before. I do not even know what to ask.

A travel trailer?  From watching friends and other people at campgrounds, I'd say an hour.  I've seen people do it faster, and people who take a lot longer.  A lot depends on how often you've done it and how level the site is.

In your situation, I think an enclosed RV would work better. Class Bs also have loaded weight issues, so that's another point to research. 

Hooking up a trailer and backing up can be a pain. We had a pop-up tent trailer when I was a kid, my dad ended up cursing every time (and he never cursed). 

Here's an active forum that might give you more ideas on which is better for you. http://www.rv.net/forum/

RV.net is a great resource.  I post there regularly, but mostly in the pet forum.  Like most forums, there are people who can get snippy and post totally unhelpful comments.  But the vast majority of members are glad to answer questions and help newbies.

A used class B might be the way to go.  I don't know how hard it would be to sleep during the day though in a camp ground.  It might be quite noisy.  You might also not need your own shower if you stay in a campground that has nice clean showers.  That would open up more options---like the truck mounted camper, etc. (although some have small showers)

For $1000 a month, I would assume that includes full hook-ups which means electricity along with water and sewer. You would just plug into the provided electricity and would not need a generator.

At dance competitions you would look for campsites with full hook-ups, so you wouldn't need a generator there either.

No, I would not live in it full time, but would spend the night and need to shower about 10 days a month.

Yes, it is a fabulous, once in a lifetime job.

Sleeping during the day can be a huge issue. Resort parks and any place else you would put an RV do not tend to be anywhere near quiet during daytime hours.

If you plan to stay in an RV resort for $1k/mo you WILL NOT need a generator. Your RV will have a big electrical cord that you plug into the campground hookup, same with water and sewer (for some models). Look into smallish RVs, such as...

r-Pods

vibes

Starcraft

You should start by going to RV dealers just to get a feel for what the options are. I also don't think you need to be Arnold Schwarzenegger to set these things up. Our rig is electrical set up, which runs on battery (we rarely camp with hook ups). Once you get a feel for the RV situation and your likes/dislikes many times you can find a nice used unit that is much cheaper. Also, don't forget you will need a place to store your rig when you aren't on the road. 

I've hooked up and moved a large utility trailer several times and think I could handle a small rv.  You'd be able to leave it in its spot except for the few times that you were traveling to dance.  Even then you might be able to stay hooked up and just use it as is .. then only have to re-hook when you get back to your own spot.

Something like this.  It's light, has a pull down bed that you can put a real mattress on to.  Easy to set up. No pull outs.  Simple.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/TravelTrailers/MicroLite/default.aspx?model=micro&page=floorplandetails&floorplanid=4000&RVType=trailers#prettyPhoto

I work nights about 1 hour from home. The shifts are long so driving back and forth on no sleep is tough. I could park an RV permanently close to work for about $1000 a month. It is a resort community which is why the monthly hook up rate is so high. The cost of a new class B vehicle would be about $100,000. This total is still much cheaper than renting or buying a condo/apartment.

I would also need to take the vehicle with me for DD's dance competitions. I hate staying in hotels at these things because I am afraid of bedbugs. Most locations have RV parks relatively close by. But, I need something small enough that I can park at the performance hall where these things are held.

Then about twice a year I would like to drive something to my son's house which is a two day drive. It would be nice to have a place to stay overnight on the road, but not much room to park it at my son's house once we get there.

Someone just suggested that I get a travel trailer instead of an RV. This would cost about $50,000 or more less. I have a Cadillac Escalade which could probably pull a small one. But, I am very nervous about driving an RV, much less a long travel trailer hooked up to a long truck.

Does anyone have ideas about the best way to go for my needs? I am not a very strong person so hooking the travel trailer up to the truck might even be impossible for me if it takes any muscle.

I would be concerned about noise in a campground, and about having to mess around with the camper after work, not to mention the huge gas bill.  For that kind of money, you may be able to find a bed and breakfast or airbnb.com location where you rent a room in a private home, either monthly or on an as-neeed basis.  You don't need a whole apartment - just a clean bed in a quiet room, and ideally a private bath.  Consider networking with friends to see if someone they know is an empty nester who would be willing to rent a room for a little extra pocket money.  Or consider an airline crash pad; some take non-airline workers.  Take another look at apartments, too - zero in on very small studio-types; perhaps scenarios like a converted garage in a private home - check Craigslist or other local sites for private rentals rather than large complexes.  

None of these solutions would help with the dance competitions or visiting your son.  But they have the advantage of being maintenance-free, which means when you get off work you can relax rather than mess around with hookups and such.  And should your circumstances change, you're not left with an expensive piece of equipment that may be hard to resell.

If you do decide to do a travel trailer or RV, I suggest renting or borrowing one for a weekend trip, to see what features you like and what you do and don't need, as well as to see if the whole thing is a good fit for your abilities, before buying.

Fortunately for my working conditions, but unfortunately for renting, my job is located in a resort. Rooms run upwards of $400 a night here. Yikes. And I thought Disney was expensive. I have been driving back and forth for two years now, I would really like to stop that since the last kiddo is 14 now. Thank you all so much for the suggestions. I think I will try to rent something for the weekend to see if I can even drive one.

If the campground has seasonal sites, contact them and ask if anyone is selling a trailer.  You can sometimes get an older travel trailer or a park model for a low price that way.

However, you would need to find another option for the competition travel. 

We have a travel trailer.  Setup/take down takes about an hour and you have to learn about maintaining the tanks, etc.  It is a huge hassle.  This year we put it on a seasonal site and left it there all summer, that was much better.

If you just want something to sleep in, a small trailer (like a Scamp) might be an inexpensive option.  I think they have a/c (plug into the electric).  If you use the campground bathroom instead of your own shower/bathroom, your life will be much easier.

If money is no object, and you want to travel in the future, and you have time/money for maintenance and learning how to maintain it, I would go with a motorhome.  But I personally wouldn't go to that expense just for dance competition travel.

Fortunately for my working conditions, but unfortunately for renting, my job is located in a resort. Rooms run upwards of $400 a night here. Yikes. And I thought Disney was expensive. I have been driving back and forth for two years now, I would really like to stop that since the last kiddo is 14 now. Thank you all so much for the suggestions. I think I will try to rent something for the weekend to see if I can even drive one.

The folks who clean rooms and cook food and so on for the resort aren't paying $400 a night. Is there an "other side of the tracks" area that isn't too bad but might have something?  Might be worth a look.