Menu

Did your babies have a certain song that calmed them?

Kathryn

As I lie here holding DD and listening to "Lullaby of London" (the Pogues) for the thousandth time because she wakes up and screams when it stops, it occurs to me that each of my babies had a different song that was THE go-to for calming them. My first was "Edelweiss" (the Sound of Music); my second was "Waltzing Matilda" (The Pogues). Just last week, my 4yo was throwing a screaming fit and I randomly played "Waltzing Matilda" and he stopped.

Did your children have certain songs that calmed them?

I sang this to our youngest, hummed it, played it.  It's a tragic song, but it's haunting and beautiful. Mo Ghile Mear off the Chieftain's Long Black Veil album, one of my all time favorite albums in the world.

http://youtu.be/auSa0YfkxFE

Oldest loved this one, Joan Baez version of The Band Played Waltzing Matilda.  It's off a live album called Ring Them Bells and it is also a treasure.

Yes.

Punk- She Hates Me- Puddle of Mudd, Crazy Game- Indigo Girls, Lascia ch'io pianga- Handel, Baby Mine- Dumbo

Sister- Lascia ch'io pianga- Handel, Baby Mine- Dumbo, It's Alright- Third Day

Bug- Lascia ch'io pianga- Handel, Baby Mine- Dumbo, Little Black Backpack- Stroke 9, Come Thou Fount- Hymn

I sang this to our youngest, hummed it, played it.  It's a tragic song, but it's haunting and beautiful. Mo Ghile Mear off the Chieftain's Long Black Veil album, one of my all time favorite albums in the world.

http://youtu.be/auSa0YfkxFE

Oldest loved this one, Joan Baez version of The Band Played Waltzing Matilda.  It's off a live album called Ring Them Bells and it is also a treasure.

Beautiful song! Thank you for the link. Funny we both had Waltzing Matilda lovers. :)

My oldest loved "O Little Town of Bethlehem" (the less common tune). He really seemed to recognize it when he was born. I think he enjoyed listening to it in utero right before he was born, when I was working on our church's Christmas program!

Yes, the Gloria Patria, Gloria in Excelsis, and Kyrie.

I am certain that she recognized them from hearing me sing them in church so often before she was born.

That's so sweet that that you both had little ones love songs they heard repeated in utero.

Yes.

Punk- She Hates Me- Puddle of Mudd, Crazy Game- Indigo Girls, Lascia ch'io pianga- Handel, Baby Mine- Dumbo

Sister- Lascia ch'io pianga- Handel, Baby Mine- Dumbo, It's Alright- Third Day

Bug- Lascia ch'io pianga- Handel, Baby Mine- Dumbo, Little Black Backpack- Stroke 9, Come Thou Fount- Hymn

Looks like they had a lot in common!

My youngest would calm down if I sang "how much is that doggy in the window..." I sang that song a lot.

I had a baby brother who would only stop screaming if my mom sang the Mendelsohn violin concerto to him. My mom complained that that song was meant to be played on violin not sung! Mom helped my older sister practice the concerto a lot while baby brother was still in the womb, we figure that is why he liked it so much.

Dance Little Baby by ... oh darn I forget her name.  Beautiful voice, most popular as a folk singer in the 70's.  

I would have the computer play it on repeat.  In fact, I called it the "Torture (DH's name) song".  He hated it.  He really really hated it the 200th time that morning.  

I had other songs I sang when she wasn't crying and just needed to calm a bit.  "Hush Little Baby" was popular.  Although I am forgetful and "buy you something else" was frequently inserted.  

I think it was "The Happiest Baby" book where he talked about loud fast songs being needed for a crying baby, and lullabies for when they are already calm.  

My oldest dd who is disabled has always responded to music. I always sang to her and still sing to her, though now I have backup with music on the iPhone! But before I had that, she could be getting a blood draw and be rocking and growling, and if I started to sing to her she would calm immediately. It's our party trick. Many medical technicians and nurses have been most impressed with us! But I sang to all of my babes and each had her own special song (my oldest always got my whole repertoire, so she got her sisters' songs too):

oldest: They Were You from The Fantasticks

middle: Moon River from Breakfast at Tiffany's

youngest: "A" You're Adorable--don't know where it came from but they sang it in oldest's kindergarten class and youngest was born that year.

When DD was a baby I used to sing You Are My Sunshine.  Last year, we were at a big convention and DD15 had what we think was a panic attack but that lead to hyperventilating.  The first aid at the convention worked with her doing the bag thing for about 45 minutes and couldn't get it to stop. The nurses and DH and I were trying everything...counting....talking...etc.  Very scary!  We were headed to the ER, me in the back seat of the car with her helping her hold the bag over her face. 

I started singing You Are My Sunshine.  Her crazy-panic eyes locked on mine...and she eventually stopped hyperventilating and started breathing normally.  I literally had not sung that song out loud since she was probably 3 years old.   

*sniff*

SweetChild... her song was Sweet Child o'Mine by Guns & Roses. She HATED my singing, and once told me "You don't sing anymore, Mommy!" But rock music soothed her... :coolgleamA:

I had gigs with bands pretty consistently while pregnant with all three kids. So we were not terribly surprised when all three enjoyed music with a solid bass line!

I had gigs with bands pretty consistently while pregnant with all three kids. So we were not terribly surprised when all three enjoyed music with a solid bass line!

Interesting. I was in grad school, and playing piccolo in the orchestra when dd was born. We played Stravinsky's Petrushka (well, the rest of the orchestra did. She was born on the morning of the concert, so I missed it!) She has never cared for Firebird or Rite of Spring, but she has always enjoyed Petrushka. I have always wondered if it is because she was a captive audience for it so many times!

Interesting. I was in grad school, and playing piccolo in the orchestra when dd was born. We played Stravinsky's Petrushka (well, the rest of the orchestra did. She was born on the morning of the concert, so I missed it!) She has never cared for Firebird or Rite of Spring, but she has always enjoyed Petrushka. I have always wondered if it is because she was a captive audience for it so many times!

They all have very eclectic tastes. I think it has to do with the fact that I was doing gospel/bluegrass/rock with live bands in addition to classical Italian art songs and vocal exercises with my vocal students and in my own rehearsal time.

I often sing "I'm Going To Go Back There Someday" which...uhh...it is from the Muppet Movie.

They also like this song about a crocodile and a shark song that were actually camp songs and they have hand gestures. :lol: Camp is great for fun baby songs.

Ds is nearly six, I just sang all those songs just last night.

My favorite singer/group since 1991 is Juan Luis Guerra/440. They are based in the Dominican Republic (Republica Dominicana).  When DD was a baby, my wife would have a CD on, playing, frequently, one of my favorite songs. Probably "Bachata Rosa". I need to ask my wife which song it was. I would "dance" with DD and she would fall asleep. 

Oldest: We had a CD with Wheels on the Bus on it and that would calm him in the car. It was track #7 and there were several time as frazzled new parents that dh or I would be shouting at the other in the car, "Number 7! Quick!" To calm him when I rocked him it was Only In God is My Soul at Rest which is from Psalm 62. 

Middle Son: We made up a song roughly to the tune of Farmer in the Dell that we would sing him in the car. Our last name rhymes with car so it involved us singing over and over his name and then "this is the song we sing to you when riding in the car". It had a bunch of other verses like " Son's name, you really are a star" or "If you want to be a lawyer you have to pass the bar" or "Klinger on MASH was played by Jamie Farr." :) Dh and can still sing most of it which annoys the kids greatly now. When being rocked he liked Skinnamarinky dinky dink. 

Daughter: She didn't need a car song, she had her brothers to look at and distract her. :) When being rocked she liked Amazing Grace. 

I love Juan Luis Guerra! It's nice to find others who like his music,too! I realize you are in South America, where he is quite popular; he is not so well known here in Alabama. :)

My favorite singer/group since 1991 is Juan Luis Guerra/440. They are based in the Dominican Republic (Republica Dominicana). When DD was a baby, my wife would have a CD on, playing, frequently, one of my favorite songs. Probably "Bachata Rosa". I need to ask my wife which song it was. I would "dance" with DD and she would fall asleep.

Well, don't shoot me, but I sang Roxanne by The Police to my first baby.

That totally counts as a classic.

And if it makes you feel better, my friend just admitted to me that her daughter's favorite lullaby is Jonathan Coulton's version of Baby Got Back.