Menu

Teach me how to walk in heels

Moxie

I had the same question when my youngest dd went to a dance. She bought heels hoping to figure them out. To be honest, I don't think she pulled it off, but she felt confident so she wore them. When I worked in an office, I never wore more than an inch heel that was wide. I could just never get the hang of heels. I know I'll need to dress nice for a funeral, hopefully not to happen for years, but I'm planning on wearing flats with dress slacks and phooey on the people that think that's bad fashion.

Slow down, stand tall, step carefully, practise. I insisted dd walk nicely in heels as a teen or not wear them. Why I cared so much I'm not sure.

I get that. I've seen women walking in heels that just look terrible. I imagine that is how I look. That's why I want to learn.

Do you have a pair already? Wear them around the house for practice. If they still clomp they might be too big. Mudd makes some nice lowish heels that are good starters. I love my heels. One of these days I am going to order some expensive ones like Kate Middleton wears. :) (I know that's not her proper title) That woman has some beautiful shoes!

Slow down, stand tall, step carefully, practise. I insisted dd walk nicely in heels as a teen or not wear them. Why I cared so much I'm not sure. 

Yes, this.  I told my daughter that if she wants to wear heals she will not clomp around like an elephant.

Stand up straight, little steps, glide.  Practice, practice, practice.  I also taught her how to walk down the stairs in heels.

Hand gently touching railing, body slightly angled toward railing so your foot fits on the step. Practice, practice, practice.

Low strides. Let your hips absorb the impact of each step (That's why women in really tall heals tend to bring attention to their hips when they walk). Stand up straight. Slouching makes a person walk more clumpy.

The way I explained it to my daughter was...

When you take a step, put your weight on the ball of your foot first and then the heel.

See, I thought it was heel first. Isn't that how we normaly walk in low shoes? I've never really studied how I walk.

Oh it is heel then toe! Toe first will help avoid the clomping noise, but it's an unnatural stride - that's how we paraded out to competition when I was a gymnast, toe then heel.

It takes practice and fearlessness. People who clomp stomp do so because they are afraid of falling off their shoes, always keep their knees bent and end up loudly planting the entire bottom of the shoe at the same time.

Start with low, square heels first with a rounded or boxy toes. Those pointy toes stillettos are for high-heel experts. You'll kill yourself if you start out in them. They should fit well. If you are used to loosely fitting shoes, you may clomp too much. Try a half-size smaller. Your foot should not slide around in your heels, but not be too tight. Getting a good brand helps.

Extend the toes as you glide. Long strides, and like pp's mentioned, use your hips. You may feel like you are shaking your bum too much, but unless you are drastically exaggerating it, you won't

Stand up straight with your head up and shoulders back. I think that's the key to not looking like an elephant. My dd clomps, and I don't; Her posture is poor.

Each step should sort of extend toward the midline of your body.

So is it long strides or short strides???!!!

LOL. I do long strides, I guess it just seems more graceful to me. But I'm not rushing to a business meeting when I'm in heels or anything. I try to glide. Not clip,clop,clip,clop,clip,clop. 

ETA: It cuts down on the booty shake, too :D

I think practice is very important from a muscle-use perspective.

I'm fine when I first put them on.  However, after several hours out in high heels, my muscles just can't take it anymore.  I practically can't walk back to the car - I can only run, with tiny steps, LOL... it's embarrassing.

I'd guess this is why people who wear high heels all the time don't tend to have a problem walking in them.

Make sure you have a shoe that fits well.  Make sure that you have plenty of ankle support until you are used to them.  Start with a lower heel and work your way up to the height you really want.  Be careful on stairs until you are used to balancing.  Practice, practice, practice before you try walking out in the real world.  And be aware that if you have bad balance and weak muscles in general you could end up injured.

A couple of tips- sort of cross your legs in front of each other, walking in a line as if it's an imaginary balance beam.  With a little practice your hips will swing a little and you'll look almost like you're dancing. You can see what I mean in Tyra's video above. If you walk pigeon toed or with your feet apart like you would in athletic shoes you'll look uncoordinated.

If the heel is shorter you can set your entire foot down at once- heel and foretoe simultaneously.  If it's a stiletto in order to not look like you're clomping around you MUST walk slightly heel-toe.  Hugely heel-toe is dangerous and scuffs the back of your stiletto.

I'm so grateful this thread is here today. Debating on which shoes to wear to a wedding tomorrow. The one's that scare dh or the one's that don't...... and the scary one's are only 3 inches high........

Why shorten the Achilles tendon if it's not necessary?

She's not going to wear them 24/7 for the rest of her life, so I don't think she needs to worry about permanent damage. ;)

(Sorry, but I always wonder why people bring that up! High heels are pretty, and they make your legs look incredible! :))

Oh, it is important! I have a friend who always dresses well, but when she wears heels I have to resist the urge to walk next to her with my arms spread wide to catch her if she topples over. The number of women who can actually carry off heels is rather lower than the number who think they can. Personally I'm pretty sure only a man would have invented heels, and I'm not wearing them under any circumstances.

My impression is that you have to walk tippy toe. But maybe I'm doing it all wrong.

It's not something I get a lot of practice doing.

No, no, no!  No tippy toes.  This is wrong and it makes you look like a hunched over little old lady.  

The way I explained it to my daughter was...

When you take a step, put your weight on the ball of your foot first and then the heel.

Nope.  Heel, then toe.

Okay, you guys know I wear them a lot, right?  Yep, I don't care when my podiatrist and physical therapist say.  They will pry my heels off my cold dead feet, and then put another pretty pair on before loading me in the coffin.  ;)

Okay, first, stand up straight, and I mean straight, with shoulders back and chest out (not obscene, just out), and take slow measured steps putting the heel down, then the toe.  You will have to lift your knee a little higher than you're used to, and it may feel weird at first, but after practice, it will get easier.  If there are stairs, practice those too.  Going up, I usually just put the ball of my foot on the steps, but some put both heel and ball of the foot on, which is probably safer if you're not used to heels.  They should hit at the same time.  Coming down should be practiced a lot!  You can put both heel/toe down together, but that looks awkward, IMO.  Going down stairs, you must, must, must hold your shoulders back, or you will topple down face forward.  Hold a hand rail, unless you get really good at it, and do it over and over and over.  For sitting, hold your back straight, weight on both heels and toes, and lower yourself slowly, bending only the knees, so it's like doing a squat.  Standing up, keep the shoulders back too and rise up slowly weight on the heels and toes, like coming out of a squat.  If i makes you more comfortable, put one foot ever so slightly in front of the other.  Any questions?

No, no, no! No tippy toes. This is wrong and it makes you look like a hunched over little old lady.

Nope. Heel, then toe.

Okay, you guys know I wear them a lot, right? Yep, I don't care when my podiatrist and physical therapist say. They will pry my heels off my cold dead feet, and then put another pretty pair on before loading me in the coffin. ;)

Okay, first, stand up straight, and I mean straight, with shoulders back and chest out (not obscene, just out), and take slow measured steps putting the heel down, then the toe. You will have to lift your knee a little higher than you're used to, and it may feel weird at first, but after practice, it will get easier. If there are stairs, practice those too. Going up, I usually just put the ball of my foot on the steps, but some put both heel and ball of the foot on, which is probably safer if you're not used to heels. They should hit at the same time. Coming down should be practiced a lot! You can put both heel/toe down together, but that looks awkward, IMO. Going down stairs, you must, must, must hold your shoulders back, or you will topple down face forward. Hold a hand rail, unless you get really good at it, and do it over and over and over. For sitting, hold your back straight, weight on both heels and toes, and lower yourself slowly, bending only the knees, so it's like doing a squat. Standing up, keep the shoulders back too and rise up slowly weight on the heels and toes, like coming out of a squat. If i makes you more comfortable, put one foot ever so slightly in front of the other. Any questions?

Thanks for the help! I've been practicing all day.

I'm curious--how many pairs of heels do you own and do you really wear them daily?

Thanks for the help! I've been practicing all day.

I'm curious--how many pairs of heels do you own and do you really wear them daily?

And how's it going?  Are you getting more comfortable in them?  To make it feel more natural to lift your leg up further than normal, try walking like a model for a while, by lifting your legs up (bending at the knee), even higher than you need to.  When you go back to the height you need to for the heels, it will be more comfortable.  BTW, since I have worn heels so much, I look a bit silly walking in flats, because I want to lift my leg up more than I need to.  It's just become a habit.

Oh, I had on a pair of wedges yesterday when I went to physical therapy, and got so many compliments on them.  They were CROCS!  I actually won them in a contest.  They weren't the shoes I was hoping to win (they were giving away many shoes, in all price points), but I have to say, they are quite comfortable. You can see them here. I got them in the navy and white stripe.  

I haven't taken a count lately, but I'd say probably I have more than 50.  Yes, I usually do wear them daily.  Not all day though.  I'm not a masochist, but I when I worked, I did wear them 8+ hours a day.  Now I just wear them when I go somewhere (even to the grocery store!).  We have special shoes for in the house, so I don't wear them inside just to wear them.  I generally leave the house 3-5 times in a week, so I still wear them several days a week.  I do admit to having put a pair on that I particularly love, and just sitting down with my feet up so I can admire them though. ;)  BTW, I can in fact run in heels, even the 4" ones.  I've chased down both boys as toddlers.  When running though, you do have to run on the balls of your feet.  I don't recommend doing it on a daily basis.