Menu

My Inheritance

debodun

if you want to sell but not handle it yourself, my suggestion would be to get a qualified professional.  a better auction house would be better than one of the plethora of questionable antique stores running around.  and just because they're an auction house doesn't mean they know anything . . . . (as the story of the auction house that offered $1500 for a bronze statuette that turned out to be a 'missing' rodin original worth many many times that . . . . fortunately, the owners weren't comfortable with that offer and took it elsehwere.  or the 'antique' seller with the missing faberge egg that someone purchased for $15,000 with plans to melt it down for the gold before getting curious.  the last faberge egg sold at auction for over $18M.)

you want to make sure that whoever is selling a piece, understands that particular market niche.  an antiques roadshow appraiser is one of dh clients, and she is very careful to not give estimates on items she isn't qualified on.  (she almost learned the hard way when an item she thought was *only* about $500 was really about $15K.  fortunately, she put it aside and didn't sell it for the customer.)

Good Heavens. I feel for you. My DHs granny passed two years ago in June. It took DH's mom (granny's only daughter) a year and a half to go through the items in the house ONE by ONE. Every drawer had to be opened, every bag and boxed checked. I think she brought A LOT of stuff home from Granny's house. Unfortunately DH's parents have a touch of "hoarderitis" as it is and I will be going through all of that stuff again when they pass. Hopefully, DH won't get all sentimental and insist we keep a bunch of stuff.....

I appreciate the suggestions made, but I've been this route already, that's why I'm trying to have garage sales now and then. Unfortunately, I hit the antiques market at a bad time when the economy is on a downswing. People seem to be holding on to their money these days and aren't spending it on trinkets and dustcatchers. That's why antique dealers aren't interested - they aren't selling either. Most garage sale attendees that announce what they are seeking want precious metals, military items and sports memoraiblia - just what I DON'T have!

In the last couple of years I have cleaned out my Grandmother's house and my mother-in-laws house which included a lot of DH's grandmothers items .  It is hard to know what to do with it all.  I recognize several of the glass pieces in the pictures and have a couple of them that I brought home.  I am going to have to call my Mom tonight and thank her as she is currently cleaning out my parents home of the last forty ears since my dad died in October.  I am sure I will wind up with a few more items to add to my growing collection. :grouphug:  to you.  I know it is a lot of work and there are a lot of emotions tied to many things.

Wow-my parents must go to the same auctions as your family members. They have exact duplicates of many of the pink and green depression glass pieces, and the Shirley Temple pitcher! Mom and Dad have a whole set of that. But I second finding a competent auctioneer or auction house. You can even have a "glassware auction", doll auction, farm equipment auction, etc. It will specifically attract buyers and collectors of those pieces and you'll get better prices for the merchandise. Good luck! That will keep you busy for awhile...

The few antique dealers that I've had to the house aren't interested in doing an entire etste sale, they all seem to be "cherry picking" (i.e. only wanting to buy the most valuable items, then leave me with the junk to get rid of) and they won't pay anything. Of course, I am aware that thay have to buy as cheaply as possible to maximize their proffit if they sell. I am really looking for "end collectors" that can pay near the real market value for things, but it seems not many people are collecting as even a few years ago.  I have a whole luncheon set (27 pieces) of green Depression glass in excellent condition. My mom paid hundreds of dollars for it in 1975 (imagine that in today's dollars). I've only had 3 offers on it and the best was $60.

Wow, what a project you inherited!  It's a beautiful collection, are you going to keep some of it or are you planning to sell it all?  My Mom had a small collection of pink depression glass and she gave most of it to me, and the shelf in our china cabinet broke, destroying several pieces of hers along with some of my grandmothers.  I was so upset!  I am debating whether to replace them or just try not to care about things.

I appreciate the suggestions made, but I've been this route already, that's why I'm trying to have garage sales now and then. Unfortunately, I hit the antiques market at a bad time when the economy is on a downswing. People seem to be holding on to their money these days and aren't spending it on trinkets and dustcatchers. That's why antique dealers aren't interested - they aren't selling either. Most garage sale attendees that announce what they are seeking want precious metals, military items and sports memoraiblia - just what I DON'T have!

I met the owner of one of our local antiques store while she was working at a new furniture store.  She said business in antiques has gone way down since the recession (hence her working at another job) and younger people don't want antiques to decorate their house.  They want modern, simple, clean-looking furniture and no knick-knacks.

Wow, some really beautiful pieces. My MIL has a collection like that, not nearly as large, abeit cumbersome, that she doesn't know what to do with. I recognise a few of the pieces, such as the Limoges china.

Thank you for posting! I enjoyed looking at the photos! :)

OP, there is a TV show on HGTV called "Cash in the Attic". They bring qualified appraisers to your home and appraise all your valuables. If I were in your position, I would not know where to begin and would call this show or send in an application to the show's producers for them to come to my home and evaluate my inheritacne.

Wow. You certainly are abundantly blessed with glass wear! ;) those tea pots are gorgeous! I'm not a collector, but they almost make me want to be. We have some of those "Archie and the gang" glasses, too. They were DH's grandmother's.

I don't know what kinds of taxes you might be dealing with, but if you know of any historical sites looking for specific items or groups of items, you might be able to donate some of the pieces to reduce your taxes. Many local historical organizations depend on family collections and lots of volunteers to do what they do.

My great-aunts (never married) amassed a huge chunk of the history of their small town when it died out. They had tons of items that are valuable for general history (stunning NCR cash register, for instance) and even more items that are valuable from a local history perspective (mining town with a huge immigrant population, etc.). Unfortunately, because of pettiness, much of this stuff will never see the light of day outside of a few individuals. The collection could furnish a huge exhibit, such as a period house or recreated store, with some wonderful, beautiful treasures to be shared for generations, but it's not likely to happen. :-(

Wow!  Have you tried contacting a glass museum?  There's so much variety and history in your mother's beautiful collection.  It's so extensive I think you should have someone who is an expert in glass look at it, not just an antique dealer who handles everything.  It might be a way to honor your mother's passion for glass to have some choice pieces displayed for future generations.  There may be other niche museums that would be interested in other categories of items, too.

There's the Jones Museum of Glass and Ceramics in Maine, the Corning Museum of Glass in NY, and a private collector who has a museum of Anchor Hocking pieces.

Amy

Do you live near a large city?  If so, you MIGHT consider doing an ad in ebay for "Enormous Collection of Depression Glass."  And then specify that it is for local pick-up only (the thought of doing all this shipping makes me shudder) and that it is to be sold only in whatever lots you determine.  I noticed on eBay that "Depression Glass" is a popular search term, and that the subcategories are by color.  So maybe you could advertise that you will sell only in lots by color.  

It's a thought.  I don't have a lot of familiarity with Depression Glass, so doing the work to validate what I am about to guess at isn't worth the time to me.  But when I was looking at the eBay Depression Glass for sale, it seems like there were certain pieces that brought in decent amounts of money.  Selling ten pieces could easily net you $300, if your mother's collection was what it looks like.  And as you have many multiples of 10, (alas!) you might be able to make some decent money by selecting out the expensive pieces, and then selling the rest by lots, to be picked up (not shipped).  

It's just a thought, and please remember that I am not an expert in doing this.  I've learned over the years though that a little multiplied by a lot = a really big lot.  :0)

I also know that there are people who do ebay selling on consignment...that might be another option to look into.  I have thought about this myself as we have a ton of books to sell, but I don't want to do the eBaying.  

Guest inoubliable

If any board members saw my posting about the trouble I am having with the emormous house and contents I inhetited, I made a Web site showing some of the nicer items. If anyone is interested or wants to look, here is the address:

http://estatesaler.angelfire.com/

I am not trying to sell things on this board, just showing the "tip of the iceberg".

I think we all got the point. Too bad none of the suggestions anyone has given you seems to be an option. Perhaps someplace like http://chataboutdg.com/ could be of help?

debodun, if you come across any Heisey plantation ivy (etched ivy on the plantation design), I'd be interested.  I'm looking for a cake platter.  I also really like the Jeanette snowflake (pink) cake platters.   

Good luck with all this.  I wonder if you might open your own online storefront on Ruby Lane.