Menu

Really good TV shows which aren't rated M

mom31257

Dd would like some new things to watch, but she doesn't want to watch anything rated M. Some shows she has watched and really enjoyed are Sherlock, Call the Midwife, Downton Abbey, Dr. Who, Once Upon A Time, and Lost. She also enjoyed all the various Star Trek series. We have Netflix and HuluPlus but not cable. 

Thanks for any recommendations! 

We are HUGE Supernatural fans around here. Superwholock refers to those who consider themselves fans of Supernatural, Doctor Who, and Sherlock. If you like the last two, there's a pretty good chance that you'll like Supernatural, too. It's TV-14, not M, but definitely more mature than Doctor Who or Sherlock or OUAT, imo. Probably Lost, too, though it's been quite a while since I've watched that. I haven't seen the others. It is a GREAT show, but if you're/she's concerned about the content, watch the first episode or two. It's a pretty good gauge for the rest of the series.

Jericho is on Netflix. It's a short series, but it's good, and it ends decently.

If she likes Sherlock, she'll probably like Leverage and Psych.

I never got past the first few seasons of Heroes, but the first three (I think) were pretty good. (We moved and lost Dish, and I never went back to finish the series.) If she likes the new Star Trek movies, she'll probably like Heroes. Zachary Quinto (Spock) plays a VERY interesting character in Heroes.

Oh yeah, I'll second Grimm and Chuck. We enjoyed those, too. ("We" meaning myself, my dh, and my two teens.)

We liked Agents of Shield, too, if you can get all the episodes. :glare:

ETA: And Warehouse 13 and Eureka!!!

Edited by Aura

There's a short series called London Hospital done by the BBC that's streaming on amazon. (I don't have Hulu or Netflix to check if it's on there.)

Smallville? I watched the first couple seasons then got caught up in all things baby and toddler.

Gilmore Girls

If she enjoys British TV and British Crime, there's some older series like Darliing Buds of May, A Touch of Frost, New Tricks, Inspector Morse, Heartbeat.

Ooo...

Inspector Morse then spawned Inspector Lewis, and now there's a new series Endeavor (Morse when young).  All very good.

I also like Inspector Lynley, which is not related to those other series, but just another British crime show.  I apparently like British crime shows...

Ooo...

Inspector Morse then spawned Inspector Lewis, and now there's a new series Endeavor (Morse when young).  All very good.

I also like Inspector Lynley, which is not related to those other series, but just another British crime show.  I apparently like British crime shows...

I just heard about Inspector Lewis and Endeavor. I'll have to check these out!

I literally can't think of anything else that's not rated M or nearly M.

I'm realizing that I don't know of any shows that are rated M at all.  TV-14 is as intense as it gets here... is this because I don't have cable??  What shows are rated M that people think are good (although honestly, I doubt I'd want to watch anything rated M.  There's quite enough violence, swearing and s*x in the TV-14 shows... I prefer a good storyline, and usually don't feel like things that are overly graphic add anything to that, but rather detract.).

I like a lot of the same shows as your daughter.

Psych - it can get dumb though if she likes more intellectual shows (like Sherlock)

NCIS - love this show, especially before Ziva left

Covert Affairs - this one is pretty good too, love Augie, the blind tech guy :)

Monk - old but funny and fairly clean for a tv show

I'm realizing that I don't know of any shows that are rated M at all. TV-14 is as intense as it gets here... is this because I don't have cable?? What shows are rated M that people think are good (although honestly, I doubt I'd want to watch anything rated M. There's quite enough violence, swearing and s*x in the TV-14 shows... I prefer a good storyline, and usually don't feel like things that are overly graphic add anything to that, but rather detract.).

We don't have cable either. Mostly because the shows were getting so violent! But I consider most of the prime time shows Mature, if we are talking about a teen. I guess I'm thinking anything with murder or s*x as M rated.

We don't have cable either. Mostly because the shows were getting so violent! But I consider most of the prime time shows Mature, if we are talking about a teen. I guess I'm thinking anything with murder or s*x as M rated.

Um, but that measure would make virtually every single show recommended on this thread M, including the ones you recommended and the ones on the OP's list.  Half of them are murder mysteries, after all, even the very tame Psych and those lovely British ones.  Buffy (on your list, and a personal favorite) had lots of murder in every single episode (not just of demons), and after about the third season, also s*x.  Not graphic (although there was one episode that made me squirm), but certainly there.  Supernatural is honestly a bit too gory for me and practically a perpetual slaughter-fest (but not rated M as far as I know...)

Heh, I was going to suggest Phryne Fisher (Netflix), but tame as I think it is, some of the US folks have had problems with the show because Phryne isn't exactly chaste. Again, the presentation is really rather tame. Dh and I really enjoyed the show, though. I'd also second Foyle's War.

I got curious about what kind of shows would be rated MA, if none of the ones mentioned here are.  I LOVE Arrow, Supernatural, Buffy was the best! - but they certainly have violence and sex.

Wikipedia (not the full list, just shows I've actually heard of):

American Horror Story (I can certainly see that, pretty sick)

Breaking Bad - some episodes

Da Vinci's Demons (really new but looked interesting)

Deadwood

Dexter

Entourage

Game of Thrones (makes sense given the books but it's an HBO series, not even regular cable)

Hannibal

Homeland

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia

Lost Girl

Nip/Tuck

Real Time with Bill Maher

Rescue Me

The Shield

Sons of Anarchy

South Park

The Sopranos

The Tudors

True Blood

The Walking Dead

Um, but that measure would make virtually every single show recommended on this thread M, including the ones you recommended and the ones on the OP's list. Half of them are murder mysteries, after all, even the very tame Psych and those lovely British ones. Buffy (on your list, and a personal favorite) had lots of murder in every single episode (not just of demons), and after about the third season, also s*x. Not graphic (although there was one episode that made me squirm), but certainly there. Supernatural is honestly a bit too gory for me and practically a perpetual slaughter-fest (but not rated M as far as I know...)

I know, lol, that's why I stopped listing shows. Just couldn't think of any!

Freaks and Geeks

Pushing Daisies

Dead Like Me

Arrested Development

Foyle's War

Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Fringe

Warehouse 13

Gilmore Girls

Buffy

Great list! Dead Like Me is soo enjoyable, but not nearly enough episodes. Same with Pushing Daisies.