Menu

Spring dresses rant

Janie Grace

WHY do they have to be so dang short? There are such cute dresses out now (such fun patterns/colors!) and I love that my 14yo dd enjoys dressing girly. But dang -- can't they make them a bit longer than "barely covering the rear end"? I am seeing pix on FB of teens/20-somethings in their Easter dresses... so many of them are like micro-mini length. I just think it looks silly, like there is 6 inches of fabric missing. Dd wants to go shopping soon and I'm dreading it. It doesn't help that she's 5'7" and a size XS/S.  :crying:

Okay, rant over. 

There are A LOT of maxi dresses out there for all ages.

My girls are finding that a lot of the maxi dresses out there for them right now are way too low cut for them. Youngest also doesn't like that most are sheer from mid thigh and it makes her uncomfortable when sitting.

We just went shopping this weekend and I don't veto things but dds are really uncomfortable with how short most dresses are right now. We found dresses at New York & Company and Banana Republic so I ended up paying a lot more than I was anticipating but the dresses were super cute on them and not too short or low cut.

My girls are finding that a lot of the maxi dresses out there for them right now are way too low cut for them. Youngest also doesn't like that most are sheer from mid thigh and it makes her uncomfortable when sitting.

We just went shopping this weekend and I don't veto things but dds are really uncomfortable with how short most dresses are right now. We found dresses at New York & Company and Banana Republic so I ended up paying a lot more than I was anticipating but the dresses were super cute on them and not too short or low cut.

I can see how a lot of the maxi dresses need something under them. My (very tiny) 10 year old wore one today and she wore a cami under it.

I haven't seen any that are sheer but I haven't been looking very hard, I just noticed there's maxis everywhere.

If you did well at NY&Co you should watch for their sales, it's usually a huge discount.

We have had luck at Burlington Coat factory. We have a very skinny 7yr old of average height.

Burlington Coat Factory is our favorite place to go shopping for dresses. My very tall girls can always find beautiful dresses that are the right length for them. There are some of the shorter ones, but there are the normal length ones to balance it out.

I have that problem with almost every dress because I'm tall, so if they hit an average woman at the knee, they're embarrassingly short for me. 

A couple of options... go for the super short dresses and wear leggings with them.  For spring/summer, capri length leggings are cute under dresses.  Buy some cute maxi dresses and hem them.  In order for it to look good, the skirt of the maxi should be a looser fit with a nice flow to the fabric, but not terribly voluminous.  

ETA: Another option is to up your price range.  More expensive dresses will be longer and/or have a couple of inches of hem allowance to let down.

Maxi dresses are cute but sometimes we want a different style. Knee length cute dresses. That's all we are asking ;). 

EXACTLY. The teens around here are not into maxi dresses. Those are more 20-somethings and older. Cute knee-length is exactly what we're looking for... sadly, they don't seem to exist. 

If she's in women's sizes, some brands have tall sizes.  One of my daughters is around 5'8"/5'9" and she has become good at scouting for brands that offer things in tall.  Also, at stores like Gap and Lands End, they usually have a variety of lengths even in their regular sizes (and they both often have 40% sales!).  Another site is modcloth.

I usually find lots of cute dress options at Ross. They seem to have a good variety of styles and lengths.

For too deep necklines I often use an item called Cami Secret. You can Google it because I can't link with my tablet. I don't always want to wear a tank for layering especially here in the FL heat. These Cami Secret things are perfect for filling in the neckline of too low dresses or tops. I also found them at Ross. However you can order online also.

I'm a tall woman and I am totally feeling you here.

I did see something really cute on a blog the other day and I really hope it catches on!  This blogger was saying the same thing you are, about super cute dresses that she'd love to wear except they are too short.  So what she did was go out and buy a cheap slip and sew on a boarder of cute cotton lace fabric.  It was designed to peek out from underneath the skirt by a few inches and added a sweet little detail while at the same time lengthening a too short skirt.  Love the idea!!

Here's an example.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/96129124/extender-slip-cream-venice-lace?utm_source=OpenGraph&utm_medium=PageTools&utm_campaign=Share

I like those short straight-cut sleeveless dresses. They remind me of the 1930's flapper style. I want the hair styles to make an appearance too. If only I had a straight-cut figure with which to wear them.

As far as I'm concerned, legs are not a private part, and if exposing them is "provocative" that is because having nice legs is provocative.

Case a: The legs of little girls are not provocative to anyone who does not find little girls attractive. (Little girls require some coverage because the are actively playful enough to expose their undergarments.)

Case b: Teenage girls are are often adult in figure, and therefore attractive because of the features they themselves indeed possess. I see no value in choosing coverage options specifically to limit that effect. Beauty is beautiful.

I just bought my twins a  couple of adorable dresses at Ross over the weekend.  They are short (above the knee) but they certainly cover their rear ends.  I really haven't seen many teen girls with dresses that barely cover their rears.  Short yes, but not that short.  I saw some nice knee length dresses at Burlington Coat Factory and Kohl's.  

I like those short straight-cut sleeveless dresses. They remind me of the 1930's flapper style. I want the hair styles to make an appearance too. If only I had a straight-cut figure with which to wear them.

As far as I'm concerned, legs are not a private part, and if exposing them is "provocative" that is because having nice legs is provocative.

Case a: The legs of little girls are not provocative to anyone who does not find little girls attractive. (Little girls require some coverage because the are actively playful enough to expose their undergarments.)

Case b: Teenage girls are are often adult in figure, and therefore attractive because of the features they themselves indeed possess. I see no value in choosing coverage options specifically to limit that effect. Beauty is beautiful.

My 11 and 14 year old dds do not have a problem with showing their legs, but they do have a problem with these short dresses and sitting, bending over, or doing anything other than standing still. We were just shopping and youngest asked it one was a shirt or a dress because we honestly couldn't tell (we found it was a dress).

FTR, we don't have any rules here really in regards to clothes so oldest has bought one of these short dresses. She wore it once and said she was so uncomfortable unless she was just standing still. She hasn't worn that dress again or wanted to purchase another. I really wish they would make some in between the floor length and the super short that weren't so expensive. We have to shop at higher end places to get a cute knee length or just above the knee dress and I don't understand why that is really.

Thank goodness for leggings and camis! But it does get a bit tiresome wearing them with *every* outfit and trying to coordinate colors!

Leggings and camis are nice, but I REALLLLLY want to be able to just buy one single dress that doesn't need 6 accessories to make it comfortable.  Like the elusive shirt that isn;t see-through and low-cut. :glare:

I make a lot of my own skirts. They're the easiest thing in the world to sew and you get a much better selection in fabric stores than clothing stores.

I also wear leggings with boots under many dresses. I don't care if it's 90's. I'm cute. Deal with it.  :coolgleamA:

I do think that exposing a lot of one's thighs in a very short dress is provocative. We don't prefer our 14yo dd to dress provocatively; she doesn't want to either. It just isn't our cup of tea. The practical stuff plays in, too... dd doesn't want to be self-conscious while sitting or horsing around with friends or whatever. She's "actively playful" as you say (even thought she's not a "little girl" anymore!) and doesn't want to have to worry about flashing anyone. 

Honestly, I don't even think they look very sexy but that could be because everyone's legs are still pasty white. ;)

I feel your pain. All four females in this house are 5'7" or taller. The amount of driving around I have to do to find not just a dress that fits, but 3 or 4 dresses that don't look alike! It is so hit or miss each season. We shop Old Navy and TJ Maxx a lot for dresses that don't break the bank. We also do a lot of layering with camis and leggings.