Menu

Good Easter basket ideas

Peaceful Isle

I think it really depends on how you look at Easter. Is it a major gift-giving holiday, or just for tokens? I tend to go pretty practical with Easter stuff, using it as a chance to buy some new (necessary) summer clothing items and pajamas that are meant for warm weather so they don't have to wear heavy, fuzzy footies all summer! This year I'm getting each kid a DVD as well--for example, Frozen for my oldest because she won't stop talking about it. And I get some Easter candy, but I'm always trying to scale back on that.

We always do our own baskets. My parents did the same. That way you can customize it to each child. Plus, I've recently looked at the pre-made ones and it looks like junk in them....toys that will break that afternoon.

Some ideas that we've done in the past and are doing this year....

small bit of candy

gift cards in $5 amounts

My Little Pony

sticker book

Chuggington trains

t-shirt with something the kids like on it

flip flops

DVD

anything themed (this year my 9 yr old DD likes Minecraft and my 7 year old DD likes Frozen....so they will be receiving some items themed to those things....figures, plush, etc)

Barbie doll

None of the items are very expensive but I do tend to spend $50-60 on each basket because I hate getting the kids pure junk that won't be used or will break. So I will spend a little more to get things of quality.

It really depends what type of things you're looking for.  If you want very inexpensive trinkets, stuffed animals, and plastic eggs, Oriental Trading Company is great.  They have free shipping on any order through April 3 with promo code WCE4355.

If you're willing to spend more, I love Etsy for all kinds of things--stuffed and crocheted animals, wooden toys, natural perfumes, knick-knacks, cloth crayon rolls, doll clothes, jewelry, play food, you name it!

I may do swimmies and goggles this year - everyone's suits were done at the end of last summer.

Art supplies? Fresh school supplies to finish out the year?

My criteria for stuff to put in baskets has a lot to do with whether I'd find it lying around my house x4 in a couple of weeks. More and more I'm just leaving that stuff at the store.

I may do swimmies and goggles this year - everyone's suits were done at the end of last summer.

Art supplies? Fresh school supplies to finish out the year?

My criteria for stuff to put in baskets has a lot to do with whether I'd find it lying around my house x4 in a couple of weeks. More and more I'm just leaving that stuff at the store.

I've done swim suits often in the past, but I'm just going to wait this year because I'm not sure who needs what at this point and it seems like we'll never have swim weather this year! 

I'm also trying to cut way back on "stuff." It's hard because my parents always put lots of silly things in our stockings and Easter baskets and kids love that initial "Wow!" factor of seeing lots of plastic junk. But I'm really trying to make a conscious effort lately to avoid that stuff. 

Basket from thrift store

Horrible Histories book for DD9

Board book for DS0

A cute outfit from thrift store for each of them

For fun I'm also buying everyone one of these pint glasses personalized with their favorite "thing" for Easter:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GlassBlastedArt

DH is getting LoTR

DD is getting a Tardis

DS is getting a dragon

I'm getting Ghostbusters

As an added bonus I'm hoping it will cut down on the number of glasses that come out in a day.

We have never done much for Easter baskets, nor have I ever really used baskets. One year I found very cute pastel rice bowls & used those to hold a few chocolate candies. Another time I found a set of small wooden square bowls & used those for candies. (We still use the wooden bowls every year.) Other than that, each child usually gets a book or two, plus some other item (cd, t-shirt, markers, etc...). We just set the items on the table for Easter breakfast.

That's the thing. I didn't want just a bunch of junk. Thanks everyone for the ideas. :) I have seen some easter baskets on amazon, but none seem to appeal to me. I did get a killer deal there with easter outfits though! I found 15 and 17 dollar dresses, and vest suits for my little guys for under 20 dollars. I thought I might have the same luck with scoring on easter baskets from there, but nope.

I tend to go with practical + chocolate. And always decent chocolate--not the cheap fake stuff in the grocery bulk bins. In the days when I could just order the next size up swim suit from Lands End they used to get that. I've done flip-flops, pj's, shorts--build up their summer wardrobe (so stuff I would buy anyway). This year they both need several pairs of shorts, so it will be that, Dove chocolate eggs, maybe some nail polish or an emery board or something. Maybe sunblock. When they were younger there were always bubbles or sidewalk chalk or something like that (and they probably wouldn't mind some of that even now). They have pretty baskets that I re-use every year, though a couple of years I did a beach bucket which was then used in our sand box.

DH's side gig has always been with a church so Easter is a work day for us. We started our Easter basket tradition when DH had to do a sunrise service that meant, (because we were a one car family), we would all be at church from 5am until noon. Our baskets contain a few candy items, a few snacks that our kids consider treats (like yogurt covered raisins) and items that are meant to keep them entertained during the long Easter weekend.

One year we gave an assortment of Papo figures, another year was puppets. We've given coloring books and stickers, games and bubbles. Some years we have a prevailing theme (like art items) and other years we have gone with individual interests (like the year all Bug wanted was Lightning McQueen themed items).

Last year we hid Legos in plastic eggs. It was very well received, and practical, too - as far as these things go. Each kid had an egg color to find (we have hundreds of plastic eggs accumulated from the years), so the kits didn't get too mixed up. In their baskets we put the instructions for their Lego kit, a small chocolate rabbit, and lots of shredded paper so they didn't look too empty :). We'll probably do it again this year. 

Every year---- bubbles, sidewalk chalk, silly (spray) string  -(we have silly string fights on Easter and use it all up in the front yard.

This year I bought some battery operated glow in the dark shoestrings-- I thought they might like them for necklaces or something.

I am "considering"  sewing a dress or some shorts--- probably not since I don't sew very often

We always try to get the kids new outside toys. Since they're still young that means we get them new chalk, replace broken sandbox toys, and usually one more "big" thing. Last year, we got them a bar/rings set for the swing set and sunglasses. Not sure this year...

ETA: and of course some candy. But not too much since my mom and DH's mom both mail us Easter treats.

We do a little very good chocolate, a CD or audiobook for each, a small not-junk toy (LEGO people, toob figures, yo-yo etc.)and usually some kind of art supplies. Sometimes lip balm, sunglasses or hair ribbons. Seeds and gardening gloves. Card games like Set or Sleeping Queens or Spot It. Mad Libs if a car trip is coming up. Flip flops. Bubbles. Flashlights. Tickets to something - a play, a ball game, a concert.
We always get them each a nice book that is Easter related, something spiritual, not the Easter Bunny!

For fun I'm also buying everyone one of these pint glasses personalized with their favorite "thing" for Easter:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GlassBlastedArt

DH is getting LoTR

DD is getting a Tardis

DS is getting a dragon

I'm getting Ghostbusters

As an added bonus I'm hoping it will cut down on the number of glasses that come out in a day.

Thank you! I found a Harry Potter glass that my oldest dd's boyfriend is going to love. I'll tell him to use it for soda and not for beer. :tongue_smilie:

I wanted to chime in with buying baskets at Good Will and spray painting them. They come out gorgeous. I spray painted the first set a chocolate brown -- on a really large basket. Then after Easter we use the baskets to hold toys in their bedrooms.

One year I painted baskets a silver color. Not pretty.

Girl basket colors would be pastel pink, yellow, chocolate.

They really came out cute -- I recommend.

For fun, I'm thinking of a shiny gold this year. Even a creamy white with a neat bow on top.

If I had a little girl, I'd totally do this:  5e6a8b02b23182ed8f8f60e959194a61.jpg

Alley

I am down to one basket - for my 22-year-old son with autism.  He'll expect to wake up to search for plastic eggs filled with his fav candy (around his bedroom - with three cats and a Labrador I do not dare place eggs around the rest of the house).  But I am filling a few eggs with power discs for the Disney Infinity game he got for Christmas....and cutting down on how much candy he gets by sticking the last playset (Cars) for Disney Infinity in his basket.

In past years older (thus cheap) dvds or videos went into the baskets for him and his brother and sisters, along with sidewalk chalk, jump ropes, etc. (new toys for warm weather!). 

We don't do much candy or trinkets. I do practical. This year, I'm doing-
Sunglasses
Flip flops
Pool toys
Bathtub paint
Book
Sand toys
Water guns/squirters

My mom is getting them-
Lego set
Bathing suit
Towel
Goggles

I'll do an Easter egg hunt and put a small amount of candy or coins in them.

I'll do an Easter egg hunt and put a small amount of candy or coins in them.

I finally figured out (after 5 kids) that it is much cheaper and easier to put coins in the eggs for an egg hunt!  I hated all the candy in the eggs, on top of the candy in the baskets.  We have (literally) hundreds of eggs from years and years of accumulating them.  $1.00 is 100 pennies!  It only cost $5.00 to fill 500 eggs!  Try to fill those with candy and you are talking at least $100.00.  Plus, the kids love getting the money better than the candy!

Ideas for the baskets:  Girls: nail polish, hair accessories, notebooks & fun pens or pencils, books, toys like a slinky or yo-yo.  Boys: Legos, books & magazines (Horrible Histories, etc.), science kits, sand toys, balls, DS games, food (my oldest is 14, so he is getting some of his favorite stuff like exotic cheese and crackers that we usually can't afford to get, as well as expensive chocolate).  Once they get bigger (I have little ones as well as big ones, so they all get baskets), their tastes get more expensive, so we have gone towards food that they really like but we don't get often because of the costs of feeding a large family.

I love the Easter baskets, but HATE filling the plastic eggs.  Since I now have two olders, they are forced to do that "dirty work" for me!  :)

Hot Lava Mama

ds is getting:

The Wump World by Bill Peet, Life of Fred Apples, and Ready Set Read (three hardback but used books)

A Folkmanis rabbit puppet

Stuffed Pokemon (the broccoli dude, because I couldn't afford Pikachu)

2 Beyblades

Felt food: berries and sugar snap peas

Chocolate bunny

A new, colorful short sleeved shirt

Jelly Bellies in his Easter Eggs, which I hide around the house

and if I can find someone to watch him while I go to the store, I can probably scrape together enough money for some crayons, scotch tape, a bar of soap, and whatever other art supplies and personal care supplies catch my eye.

I don't think my olders still got Easter baskets when they were six and I know I didn't put as much "good stuff" in them. Christmas has a lot of baggage with the extended family that's easier to let go of now that we save the private, nuclear family celebration for a different holiday.

My boys are almost 9.  In their baskets will be a Sklyander's Swapforce character, a Disney gift card (we leave in 24 days -- YEAH), baseball batting gloves, a few of their favorite candies, movie gift card, and a few other small items that I have put away and can't remember right now -- LOL.  I think I'm also getting the "Jesus Calling for Kids" (kids devotional) to put in or next to their baskets.

In their eggs this year will be Disney pins for trading at the parks, Lego minifigs, and some money (also spending money for their trip).

Hubby is getting his favorite candies and the new Hobbit DVD.  I might get myself the new Frozen DVD and put it in Dh's basket :-).

Good thread...keep the ideas coming!

We have to have the classic chocolate easter bunny in every basket.  I agree it's harder when the kids get older.  I like the Justice purse idea.  Maybe I'll pick up something small there.  Both ds will get beef jerky, gum, and a dvd.