Menu

s/o Disney, what is your favorite memory from there

Jeannie in NJ

I love reading Disney posts so I decided to start one.  My favorite memory is:

the first time we took our dc there.  My son was, I think, 7 at the time.  We went to the Indiana Jones Stunt Show.  My son thought that it was the real Indiana Jones from the movies, you know as in Harrison Ford.  After the show ds went down to meet the actors (believe it or not, he was the only one to go to meet them).  Anyway, the actor playing Indy was so sweet and patient as he answered all of ds's questions and he never once dropped out of character.  It was a magic moment for all of us.  Ds was over the moon happy.

so I want to read lots of your special moments.

One memory is of attending a private party (decades ago when Disneyland did that) around New Years - and Cast Members had put party hats on the dinosaurs in the train ride diorama, on the Pirate autoanimatronics, etc.

Another is from when I was a lowly Cast Member (working the line in the Inn Between employee cafeteria behind the Plaza Inn) at another New Years when we all abandoned our posts to run out to the end of Main St. and watch the fireworks.  The poor gal working the register could not join us as she could not lock her register and dared not leave it unattended.

Finally, when the kids where small we took them, and were sitting at a table regrouping near an employee entrance when Captain Hook walked briskly by, waved, and went back stage.  A minute or so later Cinderella was going to go through, too - one of my kids called out to her in fear "No, No! Don't go there, Captain Hook is back there!"   Cinderella took a moment to pose for a photo and assure my son that she'd watch out for that mean pirate!

I have a lot of special Disney moments.

From our last trip; all of the hugs my ds8 gave me.  Every day, multiple time throughout the day, he kept hugging because he was so happy.  

From the previous trip; seeing my children's faces at the opening of the Magic Kingdom Park our first day there.  That and my ds (who was 10 at the time) showing his adventurous side.  He's my quiet homebody, but he loved every thrill ride he could go on.  

We also went when my oldest, who is about to turn 20, was 4.  Favorite moment was when she met Cinderella at the princess lunch at the Castle.  She shook from head to toe.  It was so sweet.

Our high school went to Disney as the Senior trip.  I spent the entire trip with my boyfriend (who I am now married to. :D).  We spent every waking moment together, and never ran into our classmates.  We felt grown up and like we were on a romantic adventure. 

I went twice as a kid.  The first time I was 8, my brother was 6 and had terminal cancer.  Our family was sent to Disney.  There isn't just one special moment I can think of from that trip, there are countless. 

I don't have any special memories per se, but Disneyland was a place where I got a lot of independence. My parents felt it was a safe place so it was this first place where we got to go off on our own and "meet them for lunch" or whatever. The times extended out until we would get dropped off and picked up, and when we got our licenses we would drive there. It made me feel very independent and was a nice experience to manage some money, plan my day, get help/directions from strangers, solve problems etc, while surrounded by people out to have a good time. Oh, and lots of security. :-)

For me it was watching my "Princess and the Frog" crazed 5 yr old  in the Port Orleans French quarter, so excited because it was "Tiana's home"-only to quite literally bump into Tiana. (This was right after the movie came out), She was thrilled.

I also loved that Aurora came down to talk to her in line when DD was scared to go up and have her picture taken with the princesses. The characters were all so wonderful with her.

A never again memory-coming out of the Haunted Mansion during Extra Magic Hours. Those trees are very, very spooky after midnight!

When my daughter was 8 yrs old, we went to Disney and she was really good about staying in line and waiting on character interactions until Tigger. She saw Tigger and broke in line and almost knocked over a Japanese couple to get to Tigger. I didn't realize she liked Tigger that much until she did that.

So many to choose from!  

When my dds, then 6 & 8, saw the Magic Kingdom fireworks for the first time - I didn't know how that would go, b/c they didn't like 'regular' fireworks at all, but they loved these. I have the best pictures of them gasping and pointing in astonishment. 

And I have to include our bit of pixie dust on our second trip: Bippidi Boppidi Boutique was just opening, and one of the cast members chatted with our girls as we went by. Luckily, they were polite and friendly in return, and she asked them if they would like to be princesses, for free! We would never have spent money on extras like that, especially at that time, so it was extra special for them. Then, when we went to the Laugh Floor, and they put them on camera and introduced them as the Princesses of Louisiana. 

Oh, one more bit of pixie dust, this time from another guest. This gentleman had a vest full of trading pins, and my dd thought he was a cast member and asked to trade one of her dinky pins for one of his fabulous Tinkerbell ones, lol. I realized at the last minute what she was doing and stepped in, but he insisted on making the trade, so sweet! 

What a great thread; I will be checking back! 

Hmmm...there are so many!  

Our honeymoon!  Just...everything.  Okay, my favorite from that trip was lying in a hammock together on the beach of our hotel (Caribbean Beach Resort), watching the fireworks and drinking champagne.

The first time we took Indy (Disneyland Paris), and his face letup when we got on the Casey, Jr. train.  We rode that train so many times, the cast member just told us to stay on.

Celebrating Indy's 5th birthday in WDW and watching him laugh at the electric light parade.  It was truly magical.

The first time we took Han Solo (Disneyland Paris-just last July), and seeing him jump up and down when Lightening McQueen came out at the stunt show.

One of my favorite memories isn't even my memory.   We were on our honeymoon and getting ready to see the Indiana Jones Stunt Show.  We got our seats, and then I went to get us each a lemonade.  James Bond said a guy asked him if my seat was free, and James Bond said he was saving it for his wife.  JB told me that in that moment, he realized how very real our marriage was.  :)

I just thought of another one.  We found out that a friend's son (a young college boy) was working at Epcot at Mission to Mars (over his Christmas break).  We told our friend not to tell his son that we were going to Disney.  We also did not tell ds just in case we were not there when C was working.  So, we were at Epcot and we casually said "Oh lets go to Mission to Mars"  which we had never rode and had no intention of riding.  We were waiting in line (thankfully, a short line) and then all of a sudden my ds spotted C and started yelling his name.  C was one of the cast members loading the ride.  He heard his name, started looking all around, saw us, came running over to us and hugging all of us, he was so surprised.  We took tons of pictures.  People in line were all smiling.  C wanted to take us on the ride, we said no ride, we had just wanted to surprise him.  He gave us a few fast passes for other rides.  The surprise for both my ds and C worked out perfect.

We went once with a ds who has Down Syndrome age 6, dd was age 10, and ds was age 13. 

It was my most relaxed vacation. It was the first time in years that a significant portion of my brain was not trying to figure out how we were going to handle the next meal -- a very big deal for a food allergy family. We stayed in All Star Music. The chef at that resort told me to meet him when I arrived and then he made sure that night the kitchen was stocked for my kids. Another chef who had been informed about us stopped me one night when were coming and said she'd made cookies for my kids. And another day special pancakes at breakfast. All the restaurants had items we could order and I told my older two how to order so they did need me in the cafeteria there. Then, older ds was permitted to take off on his own daily after lunch. He loved the freedom and I wasn't worried about where Disney transportation could take him. My dh would take younger ds for a nap and dd and I would spend the afternoon together. We all relaxed and we all found things we liked doing. So, it wasn't one thing. WDW gave us a chance to forget all the things that constantly stress us (there were multiple other issues going on with our dc at the time of the trip not listed here). 

ETA: WDW was a place where we could feel like a "normal" family. 

So, so, many!!

One of the most meaningful for our family actually happened on 9/11/2001.  Yes, *that* day.  We were on our way to Disneyland (actually spending the night in Vegas), when the terrorists struck back east.  We didn't know what to do.  My dh and I decided that we were going to go to California anyway.  When we were driving through the desert, we heard over the radio that Wally World...er...Disneyland was closed.  I finally managed to get hold of someone at Disney Dining reservations, who said to just come, and everything would work out.

We were staying at the Disneyland Hotel (my favorite!), and when we stepped into the lobby, we were surrounded by characters.  My kids were 10, 7, and 9 months at the time, and we were trying to shelter them from the awful events of the day.  Disney really came through.  Buzz and Woody immediately started playing with my son.  They were having a "Space Ranger shootout" through the lobby.  And Snow White and Cinderella came up to see my dd.  She was star struck.  They sat and talked with her, and her eyes were as big as saucers.  Pluto was playing peek-a-boo with my baby, who loved squishing his nose.  The hotel was practically empty, because all flights had been grounded, so no new guests were arriving, and other guests who were scheduled to leave had made other hotel and travel arrangements.  It was so odd to see it that way.

Snow White came up and asked if she could take my older kids to the conference room down the hall where they were showing Disney movies and serving cookies and lemonade to the kids.  There were other characters there who were watching the movies with the kids.  Let me tell you, that was my dd's dream come true!  They also had other conference rooms set up for parents with banks of TVs showing the news, and more cookies and lemonade.

After we'd checked in, we headed to our dinner reservations at Goofy's Kitchen.  The place was practically empty, and it was like the staff and characters were there just for us.  They were amazing.  It was such a hard day, and I felt worn out trying to be happy for my kids while I wanted to break down and cry over what happened in NYC, D.C., and Pennsylvania.  Goofy saw me standing by the buffet, and just walked over and hugged me.  It was so sweet.  A lot of hugs were given that day between characters and adults.  And even as a grown-up, when you feel awful, hugging a giant Eeyore does help.

The park was closed for the rest of the day, but the pool was open, and the kids had a great time swimming.  All of the games in the arcade were free, and ESPN Zone in Downtown Disney (the only place open...and only for hotel guests) had free sodas for everyone, and all of their games were free as well.

The next morning Disneyland reopened, and we were part of the handful of people in the park (no new people were arriving, locals were home...glued to the TV, and people who were stuck there were out of money, so they weren't in the park).  Mickey came up to greet us, took my oldest kids by the hand, and skipped with them down Main Street.  It was amazing.  We have wonderful photos in front of the castle with literally not another soul around.  When we rode the rides, the CMs just let us stay in the vehicles for as many times as we wanted.

The next day, or maybe the day after, Disney started having a moment of silence during the day, where everyone in the park stopped what they were doing, and we all stood and sang "God Bless America".  It was really an amazing moment.  There were many people visiting Disneyland from overseas, and after the ceremony was over, several of them came up to us and asked if we were American.  When we told them we were, they all hugged us and said they just wanted to let an American know how sorry they were for what had happened, and that they support us and were praying for us.  We were all crying.  And it still brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it.

So it was a very bittersweet and emotional time at Disney for us.  We wanted to be happy for our kids, and most importantly, not frighten them, but we also wanted to do nothing but watch the news 24/7.  I was so impressed at how kind and sweet every single cast member was during the week we were there.  Especially the characters.  They were very attentive and engaging, and sought out my children at every opportunity.  I think we all wanted to feel better and find some hope in the world during such a bleak time, and nothing helped more than hearing children's laughter.  Disney made my children laugh that week...and they gave me hope.

Thousands of magical moments!

Dh and I were married there. The wedding planner had asked me previously what was a fond memory in my past. I told her once I had walked behind a jazz combo band through the Garden District of New Orleans. I was surprised as the local residents came outside and threw doubloons at us.

After the wedding ceremony, my DH and I climbed aboard Cinderella's Coach for the ride to the reception. As I looked out across the field, there were all of my guests dancing behind a jazz combo band leading them to Citricos for the reception. Doubloons were flying from all directions. I cried like a baby, it was such a magical surprise.

Please, I really need one more.

Puppy was a floppy eared, stuffed, best friend of DD. Puppy went everywhere with her. They were inseparable.

One day, Puppy was not found in the stroller at Disney. Puppy was not in the room. I frantically started calling all the lost and founds at Disney. Puppy was not there either.

After a very long, tearful night, I packed DD up in the stroller with a picture of Puppy. We hit every park and most hotels showing the picture everywhere. Puppy still did not come back and no one had seen him.

After a second, long sleepless night, there was a knock at the door. Standing in front of us was Mickey's friend holding a package from Mickey himself. Inside was one of Mickey,s bears. The card read, "Please allow Puppy to stay with me. He has a nice bed and he likes to play ball with me. Here is my bear for you. Please take good care of him. He likes to snuggle."

I cry every time I tell this story. After a ton of phone calls, I finally discovered from Disney Florist that a cast member at The Grand Floridian had seen our picture and was moved to do this act of kindness.

I love that we can go there and eat like a normal family. My DD has Celiac Disease and cannot eat gluten. The first breakfast when they made her GF pancakes, I cried. 

I loved taking my mom to lunch in the castle with my DD. My mom's health has declined rapidly since then, and she couldn't do a full day at Disney with us any more. My mom keeps the picture of the three of us in the castle on her occasional table. Other pictures change out as the grandkids get older, but that one stays. 

I remember going in kindergarten in 1976. We only went for one day. We stayed with my parents' friends from grad school in Gainesville. We drove down at some ungodly hour of the morning and were there until closing. My parents' friend was a prof at the University of Florida and got some deal on the tickets. We rode It's a Small World about 5 times. (In those days, each ride took a certain kind of ticket, and It's a Small World was the cheap ticket.) We also rode in the canoes, which my dad thought were on tracks. They weren't on tracks. My dad went on Space Mountain with me. He has not been on a roller coaster since. Not even the grandkids can get him on a roller coaster. It was an amazing day. 

Puppy was a floppy eared, stuffed, best friend of DD. Puppy went everywhere with her. They were inseparable.

One day, Puppy was not found in the stroller at Disney. Puppy was not in the room. I frantically started calling all the lost and founds at Disney. Puppy was not there either.

After a very long, tearful night, I packed DD up in the stroller with a picture of Puppy. We hit every park and most hotels showing the picture everywhere. Puppy still did not come back and no one had seen him.

After a second, long sleepless night, there was a knock at the door. Standing in front of us was Mickey's friend holding a package from Mickey himself. Inside was one of Mickey,s bears. The card read, "Please allow Puppy to stay with me. He has a nice bed and he likes to play ball with me. Here is my bear for you. Please take good care of him. He likes to snuggle."

I cry every time I tell this story. After a ton of phone calls, I finally discovered from Disney Florist that a cast member at The Grand Floridian had seen our picture and was moved to do this act of kindness.

THIS is why I love Disney.  Those pixie dust moments.  Amazing.

The first time I went to Disneyland was in 6th grade. It was a special school trip and you had to have a teacher recommendation to go. They thought we were responsible enough to go about the park and get back to the motel on our own as long as there were at least 2 of us together. I remember that 4 of us went on the log ride. You know how everyone screams as they go down the big flume at the end of the ride? Our log was completely silent as we plunged down that thing in terror. Yeah, none of us were fond of rollercoasters. We were all so glad to get out. The teachers/chaperones who were watching thought it was hilarious that we were so scared as not to make a peep at the end.

The other memory of that trip was when my friend and I got lost outside the park. We were staying in one of a chain of motels. They all looked alike but we felt pretty certain we knew which one was ours. So when it was time to leave we boarded the shuttle and got off at the motel. Only it wasn't our motel. So we walked along the block trying to find ours. I remember thinking the sidewalks were HUGE! And that we were lost in California! We finally got the bright idea to go back to the wrong motel and ask how to get to the right one--one of us had the room key. Turns out our motel was the "last stop" on the shuttle's route and not very far away. When we told our chaperone she thought we were silly not to have known our motel was the last stop. I'm still convinced no one actually told us this. ;)

I haven't been to Disneyland in about 20 years, but the last time I went was with my younger sister and my just-older sister. We thought a trip to Disneyland sounded fun and my parents thought it didn't, so they sent the three of us. It was the best.

I am loving these stories! We are taking our girls for the first time in May. They have been dreaming of Disney World for years. WE.CAN.NOT.WAIT. :D

Oooh, you can do Disney countdown fun!! 

Make a countdown calendar (Pinterest has lots).  I have so much fun with those!!

I always have a special themed Disney dinner every Sunday night before our trip for months ahead of time.  I choose a Disney movie, and then theme the food to go with it.  Spaghetti and meatballs and the works for "Lady and the Tramp".  Pizza Planet for "Toy Story".  A French dinner for "Beauty and the Beast".  All kinds of fun themes.  Disboards has lots of ideas for this.  Under the "family board", I think.  Anyway, it's a blast, and it helped my kids refresh their memories on the movies and characters we were going to meet.  Now we just do it for nostalgia's sake.  And because I love it. :D

I have been to Disneyland over 40 times. Each time I go, I'm as excited to walk through the gates as I was the very first time. There isn't one thing. It's the *whole* thing.

I grew up in Virginia in the 50s, watching the Mickey Mouse Club with Annette and Spin and Marty and all the Disney cartoons and movies. Disneyland opened in 1956, and I watched scenes from the park on the Mickey Mouse Club, and on Sunday night (the show that eventually became Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color). Until I moved to California in 1968, I had never met anyone who had ever actually been to Disneyland, and I never expected to go there myself (my family members don't get out much, lol).

My stepfather, who was in the Navy, was transferred to San Diego in January of 1968. I was a junior in high school. In March, the freshman and sophomores took a day trip to Disneyland. I walked around all day pinching myself because I just couldn't believe I was really there. Everything was truly magical to me.

And yes, I'm as excited today when I go as I was that very first time.

Both of my dds feel the same way, too. And Mr. Ellie, who grew up in San Diego and went to Disneyland the first year it opened.

We're just crazy Disneyland peeps. :-)

Oooh, you can do Disney countdown fun!!

Make a countdown calendar (Pinterest has lots). I have so much fun with those!!

I always have a special themed Disney dinner every Sunday night before our trip for months ahead of time. I choose a Disney movie, and then theme the food to go with it. Spaghetti and meatballs and the works for "Lady and the Tramp". Pizza Planet for "Toy Story". A French dinner for "Beauty and the Beast". All kinds of fun themes. Disboards has lots of ideas for this. Under the "family board", I think. Anyway, it's a blast, and it helped my kids refresh their memories on the movies and characters we were going to meet. Now we just do it for nostalgia's sake. And because I love it. :D

I've been looking at countdown ideas all day today and can't decide on which one. :) Hoping to make one this weekend.

I love the Sunday night idea!!

Oh and today watched all of those videos you posted on the other thread. So so cute!!!

We live 2.5 hours from Disney and go often. It never gets old. It's magical every single time. We have lots of find memories.... Here's two that stand out recently:

Last year, when middle DD was 6, we visited the newly opened New Fantasyland. We went into the Beauty and the Beast store. DD 6 was/is a huge princes fan. She practically lives in princess dresses. On this day she had on a Belle dress. Upon entering the store a cast member approached her. "Excuse me princess! Belle has left something for you. She couldn't stay so she asked me to give to you!" The cast member handed DD an autographed Belle button with a hand drawn red rose in it. DD was so thrilled that Belle had left it just for her!

In December we were in Fantasyland at park closing time. We were some of the last to be leaving Fantasyland. Standing in front of Princess Storybook Hall was Cinderella, Prince Charming, Aurora, and Prince Phillip....they were waving to all the guests leaving the area. As soon as they saw my 2 year old DD dawdling along behind us, they gushed over her like crazy. They all bent down, calling to her, motioning her over. She walked over and Prince Phillip took her hand and kissed it. Dd just smiled. It was so cute! We were the only family there so it was great character interaction!

Please, just one more.

One morning Puppy disappeared at The Crystal Palace in The Magic Kingdom. I ran back within minutes, but Puppy was gone. We knew we had to wait a day for Puppy to hit lost and found (Puppy was quite the escape artist). That evening we were dining at The. Brown Derby in Hollywood Studios. I was bracing myself for the night of tears when Puppy would not show up for bedtime. Soon after we arrived, a woman in a wheelchair rolled up. She pulled Puppy out of her bag and handed him to DD. "He's been trying to find you all day," she said.

Turns out she had been sitting next to us at The Crystal Palace and grabbed Puppy when she realized we left him behind. She had overheard us talking about dinner reservations and had waited for us at the other restaurant. Her act of kindness was no easy feat as anyone knows who park hops, especially in a wheel chair.

I took my kids for the first time at ages dd5, ds7, dd11. My youngest was overwhelmed just walking into the park. She was crying and a Disney employee walked by. She stayed with us while my DH went back to the gate to rent a stroller. She sat on the bench with her arm around my dd and talked softly about all the good things she'd would see but that it was perfectly okay to see them riding in a stroller to save her legs from making her sad. Then she took off one of her Disney pins, it was a Mulan pin, and pinned it on dd's shirt. My dd felt so special. She still has that pin.

My favorite is a series of pictures I have of my family in the parking lot each morning heading into the parks. We had a 5 day pass and the first day's picture is full of excitement - big grins, fist pumps, etc. You can see the excitement wane a little each day. By the fifth morning - it was raining, we all had on our clear ponchos hastily bought at one of the outlet places and the forced smiles were more like grimaces.

I went with my daughter and special needs son in the wheelchair to visit Pooh Bear while the rest of the family went on a "boy" ride.  We took the obligatory picture and then Pooh Bear started playing hide and seek with my daughter.  He/She even went over to my son and engaged him also to the point my son was laughing so hard he couldn't breathe.  It was so great to have that bear take a little extra time to make it special.

Beth

We went once with a ds who has Down Syndrome age 6, dd was age 10, and ds was age 13. 

It was my most relaxed vacation. It was the first time in years that a significant portion of my brain was not trying to figure out how we were going to handle the next meal -- a very big deal for a food allergy family. We stayed in All Star Music. The chef at that resort told me to meet him when I arrived and then he made sure that night the kitchen was stocked for my kids. Another chef who had been informed about us stopped me one night when were coming and said she'd made cookies for my kids. And another day special pancakes at breakfast. All the restaurants had items we could order and I told my older two how to order so they did need me in the cafeteria there. Then, older ds was permitted to take off on his own daily after lunch. He loved the freedom and I wasn't worried about where Disney transportation could take him. My dh would take younger ds for a nap and dd and I would spend the afternoon together. We all relaxed and we all found things we liked doing. So, it wasn't one thing. WDW gave us a chance to forget all the things that constantly stress us (there were multiple other issues going on with our dc at the time of the trip not listed here). 

ETA: WDW was a place where we could feel like a "normal" family. 

Your last line sums it up for me.  We feel like a "normal" family at Disney.  My ds also has severe food allergies.  He had SO many when he was littler that we just couldn't eat out.  He couldn't eat out at birthday parties.  Ever.  No church potlucks.  It was a HUGE impact on our lives.  We heard about Disney and decided to try it out.  I cried the first night at dinner.  Like a baby!!!  Ds could EAT!!!!  I didn't have to cook.  It was SO freeing.  I'm sitting here tearing up just thinking about it.

So, so, many!!

One of the most meaningful for our family actually happened on 9/11/2001.  Yes, *that* day.  We were on our way to Disneyland (actually spending the night in Vegas), when the terrorists struck back east.  We didn't know what to do.  My dh and I decided that we were going to go to California anyway.  When we were driving through the desert, we heard over the radio that Wally World...er...Disneyland was closed.  I finally managed to get hold of someone at Disney Dining reservations, who said to just come, and everything would work out.

We were staying at the Disneyland Hotel (my favorite!), and when we stepped into the lobby, we were surrounded by characters.  My kids were 10, 7, and 9 months at the time, and we were trying to shelter them from the awful events of the day.  Disney really came through.  Buzz and Woody immediately started playing with my son.  They were having a "Space Ranger shootout" through the lobby.  And Snow White and Cinderella came up to see my dd.  She was star struck.  They sat and talked with her, and her eyes were as big as saucers.  Pluto was playing peek-a-boo with my baby, who loved squishing his nose.  The hotel was practically empty, because all flights had been grounded, so no new guests were arriving, and other guests who were scheduled to leave had made other hotel and travel arrangements.  It was so odd to see it that way.

Snow White came up and asked if she could take my older kids to the conference room down the hall where they were showing Disney movies and serving cookies and lemonade to the kids.  There were other characters there who were watching the movies with the kids.  Let me tell you, that was my dd's dream come true!  They also had other conference rooms set up for parents with banks of TVs showing the news, and more cookies and lemonade.

After we'd checked in, we headed to our dinner reservations at Goofy's Kitchen.  The place was practically empty, and it was like the staff and characters were there just for us.  They were amazing.  It was such a hard day, and I felt worn out trying to be happy for my kids while I wanted to break down and cry over what happened in NYC, D.C., and Pennsylvania.  Goofy saw me standing by the buffet, and just walked over and hugged me.  It was so sweet.  A lot of hugs were given that day between characters and adults.  And even as a grown-up, when you feel awful, hugging a giant Eeyore does help.

The park was closed for the rest of the day, but the pool was open, and the kids had a great time swimming.  All of the games in the arcade were free, and ESPN Zone in Downtown Disney (the only place open...and only for hotel guests) had free sodas for everyone, and all of their games were free as well.

The next morning Disneyland reopened, and we were part of the handful of people in the park (no new people were arriving, locals were home...glued to the TV, and people who were stuck there were out of money, so they weren't in the park).  Mickey came up to greet us, took my oldest kids by the hand, and skipped with them down Main Street.  It was amazing.  We have wonderful photos in front of the castle with literally not another soul around.  When we rode the rides, the CMs just let us stay in the vehicles for as many times as we wanted.

The next day, or maybe the day after, Disney started having a moment of silence during the day, where everyone in the park stopped what they were doing, and we all stood and sang "God Bless America".  It was really an amazing moment.  There were many people visiting Disneyland from overseas, and after the ceremony was over, several of them came up to us and asked if we were American.  When we told them we were, they all hugged us and said they just wanted to let an American know how sorry they were for what had happened, and that they support us and were praying for us.  We were all crying.  And it still brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it.

So it was a very bittersweet and emotional time at Disney for us.  We wanted to be happy for our kids, and most importantly, not frighten them, but we also wanted to do nothing but watch the news 24/7.  I was so impressed at how kind and sweet every single cast member was during the week we were there.  Especially the characters.  They were very attentive and engaging, and sought out my children at every opportunity.  I think we all wanted to feel better and find some hope in the world during such a bleak time, and nothing helped more than hearing children's laughter.  Disney made my children laugh that week...and they gave me hope.

You know this made me cry!!!!  What a wonderful memory on such an awful day.

Oh man!  More tears.  THIS is why we go back so much.  You just cannot beat the customer service.  

One year when ds was around 9 or so, he had a TON of pins on a lanyard.  He had collected them for a couple years and had some beautiful ones.  Well, he took it off on a ride and left it in the pocket of the seat ahead of him.  He immediatelly went back to the ride and it was gone.  He started sobbing.  We went right over to the nearest lost and found, which happened to be in the back of a store.  We filed the report and then a CM came over to us and asked ds what his favorite character was.  Stitch.  Well, she found a new lanyard and 5 pins of Stitch and GAVE them to ds!!!!  FREE!  Just gave them to him.  it didn't replace what he lost, but it sure helped take the sting out of it.

ANother one - in the year of a million dreams a few years ago, my family won a party in the park after closing.  We were one of 500 people there.  They had all the rides open (no lines!!!) and dance parties and everything.  It was absolutely magical!!!

Another one- most of you know this, but we were on a Disney Cruise when ds - then 13 - got appendicitis.  We were taken off the ship (scary!) and taken into Mexico where ds had surgery.  Disney was absolutely wonderful throughout that experience.  They sent a man off the ship with us to act as our liasion.  They held the ship in port for an extra couple hours the next day so I could finish packing and get us and all our stuff off the ship.  They assigned an employee to work with us afterward in filing all the paperwork for insurance purposes.  As horrible and scary as that experience was, I have to say, Disney took it and made it SO much easier than it could have been.

Ok.  I'll stop now.

Gosh, Diana made me cry!  

OK, mine is not that touching, but it's so much fun.

We go to Disneyland every year around Christmas time.  There is something truly magical about a Disney Christmas.  On the 7 hour drive down, we always watch Elf.  Our family has many favorite scenes, and could probably act out the whole movie for you, but our absolute favorite is this one:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9jyCfRHumHU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So last year we were getting toward the end of our day at Disney (you know the hours where you start getting buggy and running off of adrenaline?) and we had just raced from Small World over to catch the train, barely making it, laughing and out of breath.  The parade was underway, but we've seen it a million times and we were trying to hit Indie which had been closed all day.  The train circles back through SW, right at the parade staging area.  And who is on the very front float, that we're passing directly in front of?  That's right, it's Santa.  Let me tell you, not a word passed between any of us, but in unison, my entire crazy family (plus a young lady who has lived with us for the past year) scream, "SANTA!!!!!!!" And then we just erupted into laughter.  I don't think the people sitting around us were all that entertained, but it pretty much made our day.

I don't have a favorite memory as in a good one, but the first time I ever went to Disneyland as a child, we went on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and was severely traumatized. Granted, I was a very shy and easily traumatized child, but it scared me so incredibly bad.... I'm surprised I ever wanted to go back.