Menu

Homeschooling with no money and no internet

ondreeuh

Updated here

I have a very dear friend who wants to homeschool her three young children (the oldest is 5 and already reading). She has no money for curricula, and won't for the forseeable future. She also has no internet at home, and hasn't for many years. While she occasionally uses email at the library, she doesn't have an online presence & wouldn't know where to look for answers if she has questions. I live thousands of miles away so I can only offer limited support. I want to send her a care package of materials she can use, but I want them to be things that are self-explanatory and don't require a lot of puzzling out. She hasn't read WTM, doesn't know who Charlotte Mason or Ruth Beechick are, and probably doesn't care about teaching Latin. ;) I'm just being real, here. Oh, the library she has access to is really small. She lives rurally and doesn't travel, so while she can look for topical books at the library, she can't count on finding specific titles.

So I am looking for materials that:

-are entry level. Mom can't spend hours online researching materials or reading reviews. It's got to make sense from the get-go. (ie, no Miquon).

-are secular or close to it

-encourage critical thinking

-are efficient (the program that gets done is better than any that doesn't)

-are fairly structured. Oak Meadow would be too vague.

-are somewhat mainstream. She's likely not interested in vintage texts.

I am thinking of sending her (either physical books or digital files she can print at home)

-a bunch of audiobooks

-LLTL 1 & 2

-McGraw-Hill's LA and Treasures workbooks

-Adventures in America

-SOTW 1 and activity guide

-Usborne Book of World History

-Evan-Moor Daily Science (she would find topical books to flesh it out)

-BFSU

-Math in Focus textbooks and workbooks + some manipulatives

-Maestro Classics CDs

-Start Exploring Masterpieces (art coloring book with biographical info)

Also considering

-Horizons math? I personally find it self-explanatory and very easy to get done, but not really deep.

-Five in a Row? With their library system, that might be frustrating.

-Memoria Press's 1st grade enrichment? It's similar to FIAR, but it looks like a lot more books are in print

-Explode the Code - maybe books 1-4?

Other suggestions? I want to get this right - not waste my money on stuff that won't get used, and not miss the mark and leave her without options.

Here are a few others-

Kumon workbooks: cutting, pasting, tracing, counting, simple addition, rhyming words, etc.

They are inexpensive and cover skills like cutting and pasting that are easy for homeschoolers to skip.

It is OOP, but, if you could grab a cheap copy of Picture Book Activities by Trish Kuffner, it is similar to FIAR, but it is secular. It is where I found my recipe for edible, peanut butter play-doh.

I think your choices are solid. If I were you, I would stick with one math. Why bother sending both Math in Focus and Horizons? I would also just send one science, one history, and one LA. Too much at once can be overwhelming. Send a small box, and let her know there are other options if those don't work.

Something like one small box that contains:

Math in Focus

E-M Science

LLTL

SOTW1 & activity guide

Usborne history

Maestro classics

Start Exploring Masterpieces

Kumon Workbooks

Send something like this with a little note explaining that if the math, history, or science doesn't work to let you know.

HTH-

Mandy

Doesn't LLTL require additional "public domain" books? She'll need copies of those if she doesn't have internet and can't count on her library.

For three kids non-consumables are the way to go. So not sure if the SOTW AG or MiF would be wise.

1st edition WTM would also be good. It would tell her how to give a quality education without relying on open-and-go. Open-and-go=$$$$ usually.

ETA: Yes, I see she has a home computer....sorry, early. Download some free good digital files onto a thumb drive too.

I love BFSU, but you have to plan your own order of lessons, and most lessons go better with some supplementary books and materials for demonstrations, so I'm not sure it would be quite her thing.

The number of books not in my library system (which is pretty big) was the reason I didn't do FIAR.

Okay, I'll tackle math for now. I've always wanted to see Christian Liberty math. It looks SO easy to teach.

http://www.shopchristianliberty.com/mathematics-7/

If a mom doesn't have a printer, and/or cannot afford ink, or to replace lots and lots of primary worksheets, I like Professor B arithmetic.

http://www.profb.com/productslist.aspx?Subject=Arithmetic&CategoryID=14&cat=Books

In general, I wouldn't send two curricula, but personally, it would make ME feel better to send Professor B to a low income stranded mom, so I'd know she had SOMETHING non consumable to drill primary math with. Fingers are the primary manipulative.

There is some self-education required by mom, but if mom just reads the first lesson, she can do the first lesson. She doesn't need to read ahead, or see the big picture. Honestly, trying to read ahead and see the big picture is actually difficult with this curriculum. It's meant to just be USED, one lesson at a time.

I'd send Evan Moore Daily Science and Magic School Bus videos for science.

I'll discuss the other subjects later.

Does her state provide the option of K12? Often those enrolled in an online charter are reimbursed internet costs.

I'd probably do MM, FLL, WWE, SWO, RSO, SOTW. Nearly all of these come digitally so they can be reused (SWO being the exception). I'd also consider just sending a kindle preloaded with good books...

What a kind friend you are!

Love the loaded kindle idea! 

I might include 4 or 5 books to go along with SOTW. And maybe a box of items she could use to do a few of the activities? 

I'd send one math

one science (Evan Moor would be easy) or a nature study notebook and some colored pencils

the Maestro stuff

art materials and a list of projects (not crafts)

Explode the Code instead of Macgraw Hill

SOTW w/AG

Phonics Pathways or a speller, like SWO (easy to implement and can act as phonics review)

Too much more and it'd be overload. 

I'd also send an example schedule of how to fit it into a few hours a day, so she doesn't think she has to homeschool for 7 hours for a 5yo. 

I'd also ask how things are going after a month or so--Does she need anything else? Send more readers/easy books, some science supplies, etc if she needs that. 

You are so kind to do this!

Since her children are little I would send something like OPGTR or WRTR (maybe laminate the phonograms cards for her) so she can use those for handwriting, reading, spelling until they are older and she could get a spelling program. Also send her some hands on phonics materials. Some sort of movable alphabet, AAS magnet cards etc. Some sets of Bob Books and a nice starter collection of picture books and read aloud chapter books.

I'd also send her a math manipulatives care package as well. Whatever math you send, it will be extremely helpful since her kids are young to have some c-rods, abacus, linking cubes, etc around. I find that young children respond to hands on more than just worksheet and text. But due to her circumstances she may not be able to learn about or buy a lot of hands on math materials. 

FLL 1/2 combo book, maybe the others in the program or some Easy Grammar teacher guides. The student sheets are in there. 

WWE and SOTW will take her far. The activity book is great and she may be able to ILL (most libraries do offer that) a few of the extra readings.

And I like the idea of a external drive loaded. Just make sure she does have capabilities on her computer to open the files. 

A nice read aloud book (Jim Trelease or New York Times Best Books) so she can have some guidance when at the library. 

The Complete Book of United States History. Some wall maps. 

Thank you all!

I do have an old Sony Reader we don't use that I was going to load up with public domain books. I have no idea what kind of printer she has, but she did once say something about using a print shop. I've sent her preschool stuff in the past, like a hundred scholastic books on a cd, but I don't know how much she printed. I can send her my OPGTR book - thanks for the reminder. Some things just won't get used if you have to print out the entire thing. And I don't know the status of her computer. Unless she was gifted one, it has to be old. I probably shouldn't rely on her being able to read off the screen while she teaches.

I see everyone's point about not including too many choices. I don't know how to choose between math programs, though. Horizons is great about working on everything all year, and it's so easy to teach off the worksheet. Math in a Focus is excellent at teaching number sense, place value, and mental math. I combine the two and think it makes a perfect, complete program.

I hadn't thought about k12. I think her state does have a VA that uses it. I will look into the computer and internet deal they may offer. I'm not sure the VA would be flexible enough for her situation, though.

I would go with the Math Mammoth CD over MiF if she's got print capability. The CD with the entire "blue" (single-topic) series is $88 at the moment at HSBC and the one with the entire grades 1-6 "light blue" series is $124. A one-time purchase that covers all 3 kids up through 6th grade and no need to juggle multiple books for each level.

Find out what kind of printer she has and include some ink or toner so that she can print the MM.

Pandia Press History Odyssey Level 1 I believe uses SOTW and the Usborne Encyclopedia of World History and gives a reading schedule & projects to go along with that. Might be a bit more user-friendly than the SOTW AG.

How very kind of you! :)

Lots of GREAT ideas previous posters. Those "Complete Book of …." workbooks really are super easy to use, very inclusive of topics, and very inexpensive.

Since she has young ones and is just starting out, you might also want to throw in a few games / hands-on kits and manipulatives, like Leap Frog DVDs, pattern blocks and a booklet, magnets or science kit, etc.

Would she also need some basic supplies like scissors, construction paper, pipe cleaners, clay, and other art/craft hands-on items?

Two helpful overall books that might help ease her into schooling at home:

What Your Kindergartener Should KnowWhat Your First Grader Should Know

Home Learning Year by Year: How to Design Curriculum from Preschool Through High School by Rebecca Rupp -- this one would not only give her ideas for reading book ideas, but also provide guidance in what the goals of education are at the different grade levels -- not to mention provide ideas for specific curriculum she might want to request from Book Samaritan or other organization that sends free used curriculum to those in financial straits.

Also, perhaps you can print out a few lists that would be helpful for her when she goes to the library:

1. Lists of good books for read-alouds and readers; if I had to choose just one, I especially like the 1000 Good Books list.

2. The World Book Encyclopedia "typical course of study" for Kinder and for the first 2-3 grades of elementary, so she can get a feel for what kinds of topics to cover, via library materials.

BEST of luck whatever you decide on, and have FUN shopping for your friend! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

I would take it one year at a time. You don't need to send her everything at the same time. Just enough for this year so she doesn't get bogged down and can try and see what works. Her situation may change, and I think we've all experienced the need to stay flexible and not buy too much in advance.

Her oldest is 5. Something for math (Singapore?). Books to read. An art book. A nature study book. Love the idea for classical music CDs. A map of the world to go on the wall. Usborne world history reference. Maybe Hirsch's What Your Kindergartener Needs to Know book.

The more I thought about this, I would JUST send workbook math for NOW. I think what she needs more than anything is to see a package that she is supposed to complete, and KNOW she can do it. Let her get her feet wet and have questions. Don't try to predict what her problems and questions will be. 

I don't know Horizons, but you do, so send that. Not everything had to be done the first year. If you see holes in Horizons, let her maybe get enough experience that she can see them too. At some point she'll probably ask you if that is all you use, and after she has used it a bit she will probably better understand what you are trying to supplement. If I could SEE the Christian Liberty math and know for sure what ALL of it looks like, I might suggest you sent that instead.

Just send Adventures in America. And add some Dover coloring books to supplement it.

Just send Daily Moor Daily Science and Magic School Bus videos.

If you have a phonics you used and liked, send that. Otherwise I recommend Alpha-Phonics in this situation.

LLtL 1 is really for students already reading. I wouldn't send that. I'd send an anthology for read alouds and the Dr Seuss Bright and Early anthologies.

http://www.amazon.com/Seusss-Beginner-Collection-Green-Socks/dp/0375851569/ref=pd_sim_b_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=19DM410JW30XC2JS09A5.

The child needs to learn to read and to be read to. The rest of Language arts can wait.

For art I'd focus on the child doing, not appreciating. I'd send Ed Emberley's Fingerprint book and Make a World book. The fingerprint book is the BEST early figure drawing book I know. And also includes animals and landscapes. The Make a World book includes vehicles and buildings. Students are drawing scenes that tell a STORY immediately.

http://www.amazon.com/Ed-Emberleys-Fingerprint-Drawing-Book/dp/0316789690/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=1-2&qid=1395254943

http://www.amazon.com/Ed-Emberleys-Drawing-Book-World/dp/0316789720/ref=pd_sim_b_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1EWS60612DWD2HSG23H7

It's a little pricey but for spoon fed nature study I like Field Guide to the Familar. The topics are only about 2 pages and arranged by season. This is the ONLY nature study book my friends and students have USED. One of my neighbors had it now, and has actually almost finished reading it, and has not finished any other book in years, so that is really saying something.

http://www.amazon.com/Field-Guide-Familiar-Learning-Observe/dp/0874518652/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1395255067&sr=1-1&keywords=field+guide+to+the+familiar

I have no suggestions for music yet. I'm still thinking.

This is all I'd send. At first I was thinking she needed an e-reader, but then…I really think less is more until she has WANTS and QUESTIONS of her OWN.

Oh, and I'd send crayons, primary paper, cheap art paper, and pencils. I use just plain Crayola 24 pack crayons and the newish Papermate 1.3 mm mechanical pencils.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_fb_0_13?url=search-alias%3Doffice-products&field-keywords=papermate+1.3mm+mechanical+pencil&sprefix=papermate+1.3%2Cstripbooks%2C503

Sometimes less is more, and I think this is one of those cases.

On the internet - if she lives in an area where Comcast is available {or TWC, as they are being taken over by Comcast in December I think}, she probably qualifies to get Internet for $10 a month. They also have a program to buy a computer for $150 as well.

Honestly, I'd go with Sonlight. That would cover history, reading, Possibily English, Geography, and Science if she adds that part of the Core. She has 3 young kids, and could probably combine them all in 1 core, with differing readers as they age. Most of the books will be available through any library, or you can get them free / cheap through Paperbackswap. Credits there cost as little as $2 if you buy in bulk on the forums. IG's can be picked up super cheap if you go with older editions - I've payed as little as $3. Or gotten them free from folks upgrading. If she resales locally or swaps the Sonlight materials on PBS, she can use those funds / credits to cover the next years needed Sonlight Materials. Sonlight is designed to be an all in one program - no net required {though it is nice}. It's open & go, and fairly structured but allowed for easy derailing if you want. It isn't secular, but it isn't hard to make it secular either - drop maybe 2 books from each core and it's pretty much secular except for comments in the IG's, but those are easy to ignore.

Math I'd use something easy - Abeka is easy to find, cheap when bought used, and structured. Saxon would be good too.

I would have her put a request in to The Book Samaritian as well - they can provide a lot. They have helped us several times.

I actually would be careful of sending too many things unless you are able to do so every year - because if you get a curriculum and it works then you will want to follow it up the next year and if there is no money that puts you in a bind and can actually make things harder later on.

How has she taught her daughter to read? - she should be able to do the same with the younger children - teaching them to read should be the priority and then making sure they have some books available - regardless what they are on.

Maths at this age - a book like Kitchen Table Math might be good for the little ones as it requires using household objects and life to teach. She should probably use exercise books for all children so that any other books you get her can be reused (which is why Horizons may not be a good idea). I wouldn't send any non reusable workbooks in any subjects (including ETC - OPGTR might be a better bet, though again if her daughter is reading then she must have done something) Even Kumon workbooks I probably would NOT send - it is better to send a print out from the computer about how to teach cutting skills and then some scissors and paper - then it is up to her and she is not relying on something that will need to be re-bought for younger children.

SOTW would probably be ok even if it is just the first book although it would be nice to have the entire set at some point once she starts it.

Science it is probably better to get an experiment book - BFSU is only likely to work if she has a good grounding in science or access to additional materials.

Manipulatives are always a good idea to have around and can be reused.

Maybe an Usborne Encyclopedia or book of stories that she can read to the children without all the added extras or even print outs of certain books on the internet that are free (depending how much it costs you to print and how long it would take - it might be better to buy a good volume of stories rather)

Mostly I would think reusable and also books for multiple ages. 

Would her library be able to send books from other branches to the one closest to her?  She could go in once a week and request books.  Later in the week the requested books should start to arrive from the other branches.

Is she next to another county?  My library card lets me use the same card for 2 counties. I have to drive 25 minutes to the second county's library, but I do it once a week when I'm getting groceries and in town anyway.

On my kindle (just a reader) I have McGuffeys eclectic reader, ffl1, wwe1, a scholastic daily geography, the verbal math lesson 1 and 2, SOTW and a bunch of books to go with it. Chuck in a copy of TWTM, magic school bus, Sid the Science kid and maybe some kids nature programmes and art supplies i would probably be good with kids that age. I did just get my copy of Evan Moor daily 6 trait writing though and it looks good and simple. Plus a selection of cheap cut paste colour and circle things for the littles. Our library has free wireless so i often download stuff to my kindle there in bulk.

I have a friend that did this. Her daughter is very well educated young woman- better educated than most homeschoolers I know!

BUT:

1.  The mother was very very resourceful and very very organized

2.  THe mother took advantage of sales, the TExtbook Repository, Used curriculum sales and even Goodwill book finds.

3.  The mother only had ONE child, so looking ahead to find the necessary materials was VERY easy (with only one child to plan for.)

4.  The mother had been a teacher and had good experience with utilizing many different resources.

5.  The mother also had a very steadfast nature, one not likely to be moved or to freak out. She was able therefore to use different math books each year, and different writing curricula, and different Science curricula, etc

6. They used the library each week to put hold for following weeks, and they have a very systematic library schedule, with lists of things to do while they are there, and going the same day each week to ensure they never miss a hold, etc.  

7.  The daughter is very intelligent, probably in the gifted range, so teaching was never a huge problem.  Anything could be learned, step by step with a book in hand and some patience.  (I think LD's would veery easily complicate such a situation!)

My friend once received funds from the Homeschool Foundation and she bought herself some good, useful expensive reference books that she otherwise could not afford.  So if you were to bless your friend, I think reference books would be highly useful. 

I'd get her a copy of Ruth Beechick's book, "3 Rs."  That covers the core skills for K through 2nd in a very DIY approach.  

Then I'd add in"What Your 1st Grader Needs to Know," (maybe other grades, too.  They're *so* cheap used on amazon), a math workbook (in case her dc likes workbooks), handwriting paper, crayons, a "learn to read" book to cover advanced phonics, and maybe a big anthology of children's lit.  I love the idea of a loaded e-reader.  

I'd probably also go a little nuts filling a box with school supplies - some practical, including a GOOD pencil sharpener, and some just fun like smencils.  But that's just me.  I have an unhealthy affection for school supplies  :D

Basically, I'd make sure SHE could sustain this in the future in case you can't help out next year.  Think of it as empowering her rather than making her (inadvertently) dependent on your generosity.

I'd keep it simple and easy, with limited materials so it feels doable, particularly given those ages of kids. She's got her hands full.

One math. I think I might pick kitchen table math for K. I do love MIF, and think it's easy to implement. I just don't think formal math is necessary in K.

I am not a fan of Evan Moore Daily science, particularly for this age. Science should be engaging. I own it, and wish I didn't. Have you seen it? I think BFSU is too complicated.

I really recommend just purchasing a Magic School Bus DVD set. No work from mom, they will learn, and they will enjoy science. There are free downloadable experiments online, from scholastic I think it is, to go with most episodes. If you wanted, you could print and include those.

You might send her this http://www.amazon.com/Crayola-Dry-Erase-Activity-Center/dp/B00125V99S if you think she'll need to re-use  workbooks. She can tear out a workbook page and put it under the slider. It works really well.

I'd do HWOT.

Include SOTW if you think history at these ages is something mom wants.

WWE is fine, easy, and resusable.

I'd pick a strong and reusable phonics if she needs that.

Another vote for Ruth Beechick's 3Rs and a big box of school supplies.  In fact I have the Beechick books that used to be three little books and are now one bigger book on my paperback swap wish list at all times.  I collect them when they come up and I give them to parents who ask me how to homeschool their little elementary guys.

I would get her WTM for herself so she can make her plans for the future.

One thing we did that was great fun when I had k-2nd graders was the Little Passport Club.  Combined with a great children's atlas and a blank world map we had a great time studying geography. 

Amber in SJ

I am going to differ slightly. If she only has a small library and bad internet I think building up a home library will be far more comprehensive, further reaching, less intimidating and much better suited to her likely future situation of having to pull together resources instead of using nice plans. Instead of spending $100 on a science and a history curriculum, take that money and buy the best second-hand books you can find, all the magic schoolbus books, the classic 'staple' picture books, tales from around the world, the Children Just Like Me series. Searching ebay you should be able to get quite a pile for a good price. She can reuse them, use them as launching pads for study as she gets more confident, and she won't rely on having to try and find money for the next curriculum level each year. If something grabs a child's interest, maybe they can use the library to go deeper. It makes more sense to me to approach it that way at these ages and will help them to be resourceful instead of having it all laid out (which it sounds like will be much more important for her longterm. We all love our laid out resources, but she doesn't have that luxury)

Then add a simple LA program, and a fairly mainstream math program (I personally like Mathematical Reasoning, and it's reproducible, so send it with the binding cut off, in a ring binder with some of those worksheet protectors and she is all set) and some manipulatives. 

A box with two programs and lots of educational literature would be much less scary and overwhelming imo.

Beginners should start here.  I'm developing a workshop based on this.

Choosing Homeschool Approach and Curriculum with Confidence by Evaluating Your Own Education

Without knowing what you want your curriculum to accomplish, it will be hard to evaluate if a particular curriculum or approach will meet your needs.  It’s very helpful to articulate what you want and why, not only for choosing materials, but also in responding to criticism from others.  It can clear up potential friction between spouses who may have different ideas on the subject.

The tremendous amount of homeschooling materials available today can be overwhelming to new homeschoolers. Beginning with a basic idea about what you want and what you don’t want can make the process of selecting easier.

Since homeschoolers vary widely in their views, it’s important each couple focus first on their own motivations and goals first then they can consider the motivations and goals of others and whether or not they would like to add them to their own goals.

To help parents new to homeschooling define their goals and choose a homeschooling method, couples can try the following exercises either verbally or on paper or a combination of the two. It will likely require several conversations and lead to other discussions-that’s a good thing.

1. List everything you learned in your K-12 education that was good and useful.

2. List everything in your K-12 education that was not good or not useful.

3. List everything you wish had been included in your K-12 education that would have been good or useful.

4. Describe in as much detail as possible the ideal education in the areas of academics, relationships, and life skills. Include not only general abstract ideals (like well-rounded and rigorous for example) but also specific subjects and skills that make up the abstract ideals (like Classic Literature, Formal Logic, etc.)

5. What are the main reasons you want to homeschool your children?

Three Homeschooling Mindsets

I am forced to generalize.  It should be understood that the 1-2 million homeschoolers in the US do not fit neatly into categories.  Many are represented in more than one of these mindsets to varying degrees.  All three groups are represented in today’s homeschool community.

First Wave Homeschoolers

In the early 1980s before the public schools were, on the whole, viewed as performing poorly and safety was not generally an issue, two groups of people emerged creating the modern homeschooling movement.

The first were largely conservative Christians who wanted what they called a “Christ Centered Education†for their children.   Their goal is to integrate family relationships, life skills, academics, and religious training in equal proportions along with what they call a “Biblical Worldview†into the education of their children.  They believe that God had a particular plan for each child’s life, and it is the job of the parent to prepare their children as individuals for that purpose.  They believe that children are designed to learn best in a family situation and that institutional educational environments are for adults. They are strong proponents of individualized learning. So, in essence, they define education as including more than just academics.

Meanwhile a mix of secular and religious parents, many inspired by John Holt’s writings, decided that keeping their children at home and customizing an education to suit their individual talents and interests emerged.  They believe real life and academics should be integrated to give a greater understanding of the world. They see institutional settings and modern education methods as artificial, detached, and too compartmentalized to fuel the natural love of learning in children.  They are also concerned that much of modern education is not relevant to the real world adults live in. They too have different definition of education.

Both groups have different motivations, but some of their educational philosophy is very similar.  Most practice some variation of tutorial style education.  It fits with their views of customizing education to the individual student.  Apprenticeships, internships, and life experiences, in conjunction with academics are often common between them.  Neither group likes the standard scope and sequence or fill in the blank workbook approach that is characteristic of most institutional settings.

In general they share the conviction that institutional settings are bad for children, so of course, homeschooling is the only acceptable option that meets their goals.

These two groups are primarily responsible for the legal battles legalizing homeschooling in each state.  They currently fight to deregulate homeschooling nationwide.

Second Wave Homeschoolers

In the early 1990s several studies on academic performance revealed that homeschoolers were outperforming children in government schools on standardized tests.  A group of parents took notice because academic performance was their number one priority.  They began homeschooling their children and enjoyed combination of a flexible lifestyle and accelerated academics that homeschooling provided.

The do not have convictions that institutional settings are categorically bad for children, and many can afford private/religious education, but their children are thriving in the homeschooling environment so that’s where they stay.  This group has a large mix of very religious and secular people, and everyone in between. 

They are primarily responsible for taking homeschooling into the mainstream.

Third Wave Homeschoolers

By the late 1990s and after the turn of the new millennium public schools were getting bad press specifically about negative social issues and poor academic performance.  The floodgates of homeschooling opened and a new group of parents poured into the homeschool community. 

They are refugees fleeing what they see as a bad situation.  They do not like or have access to charter schools or cannot afford a private/religious institutional setting, so they choose to homeschool.  Some left because they see government schools as indoctrinating their children into secularism and socialism.  Some have children that are above or below average and want something more specific to their children’s individual needs.  Others are very unhappy with the social norms in public schools.  Many are very concerned about what they see as a decrease in academic standards and performance in American public education.

This group has helped fuel the current debate about school choice nationwide.

8 Different Approaches to Homeschooling

Most homeschoolers use a combination of two or more of these approaches.  Homeschooling is inherently flexible, so these approaches can be adapted and modified in any way the parent chooses. This is a bird's eye view making very broad generalizations. Popular curricula, websites, and authors detailing these approaches are listed.  Let me know of others and I will gladly add them to the lists.

===Traditional School Approach ===

Typically uses prepackaged curriculum with a Scope and Sequence educational philosophy.  Their daily and yearly schedules usually follow the 6 hour days of institutional settings and a 180 day school year with the summer off, but many allow their children to work at their own pace and finish early.  Grading systems like those used in traditional school settings are the norm and aged grades mimic schools. Textbooks and workbooks are their primary texts. Fill in the blank and multiple choice answers are characteristic of this crowd. Children are generally taught the same information around the same age and proceed along the same path, although some may do so faster or slower.

Think institutional school.

Abeka

BJU

Alpha Omega

Apologia

Christian Liberty Press

ACE PACEs

=== Unschooling Approaches A and B===

This is a broad term that applies to two distinct groups.

Group  A

Generally believes children are wired for learning, and their job as teachers is to avoid interfering with the learning process.  Their job is also to provide access to learning (books, lab equipment, etc.) guided by the child’s interests.  They do not necessarily think children need to be “taught†outside of answering a child's questions.  Real life, hands-on projects and applied learning experiences are strongly preferred to other methods of instruction. Some will allow children to take classes of interest in an institutional setting-usually college.

Think Thomas Edison and John Holt.

Christian Unschooling (website)

Learning without Schooling Magazine

John Holt’s Books

Free Child Project (lots of links and resources)

Group B

These parents design every learning experience to answer the question, “When am I going to use this in real life?†by actually using almost exclusively real life, hands on, applied situations and projects.  Only the real world here.  They tend to be systematic and adult directed but are very careful to take additional time to follow a child’s interests some too.

No known packaged curriculum, websites, or magazines that address only this approach to homeschooling.

===Unit Study Approach ===

Typically these people integrate studies based on an era, historical event, person, character trait, technological development, or historical person.  For example, if the Depression is the core of the unit study, Math (if possible), Literature, Science (if possible), History, Economics, and Writing will hinge on different elements of the Great Depression. This gives the student a multidimensional understanding.  Each child in the family is given different assignments based on ability, but all study the same core theme.

Learning through History Magazine

Konos

Learning Adventures

Moving Beyond the Page

Trail Guides to Learning

Unit Studies by Amanda Bennett

All Through the Ages

Timetables of History

===Living Books Approach ===

Only the best literature and writings on each subject are used.  Think of it this way, instead of reading from a distilled over simplified textbook on the Civil War, these parents have their students read several of the books about the Civil War that an author of a textbook would read preparing to write the textbook.  Now, think of doing that for Science, History, Economics, Literature, Art, etc.  This crowd is also known for

nature studies, narration, and dictation.

Heart of Dakota 

Charlotte Mason

Karen Andreola

My Father’s World

Sonlight

Greenleaf Press

All Through the Ages

Robinson’s Curriculum

===Classical Education===

Classical education has at least three distinct camps. They can be integrated as much as the parent prefers. They all have a strong preference for first source materials and use primarily Western Classics (Also called the Western Canon, or the Common Book of the Western World.) Some can include the study of "dead" languages (Hebrew, Classical or Biblical Greek, and Latin) although some are content with good English translations of Classic works while others opt for studies of Latin and Greek Roots in English.

Group A

Characterized by the Trivium.  The 3 stages have many terms: 

1. Stage 1 Grammar (facts)
  2. Stage 2 Logic (cause and effect) All stages of formal Logic inductive, deductive, material, etc. 
  3. Stage 3 Rhetoric (application and persuasion) Formal argumentation is studied.

Formal Logic and Rhetoric are studied specifically. History is usually studied chronologically. Logic is studied formally, and Science is studied with experimentation, biographies, and original writings of the greatest minds. Classic works from masters throughout Western Civilization in all eras are studied. Some integrate History, Geography, Science and Literature into a more unit study approach.

Think Dorothy Sayers.

Tapestry of Grace

Classical Conversations

Memoria Press

Veritas Press

Teaching the Trivium

The Well Trained Mind

The Circe Institute

Group B

Characterized by the Mentor Model and sometimes called a "Statesmen" education. Morals, virtue, and character are emphasized above all.

1. In the early years children are allowed to follow their interests and learn good moral character while developing a strong work ethic.
  2. The middle years are when the parent begins inspiring students by reading classic works by the best minds on the subjects and entering into apprenticeship situations with masters of certain skills. 
  3. The later years the students are mentored in apprenticeships in entrepreneurial situations for their future leadership roles and professional pursuits.

Think Thomas Jefferson.

A Thomas Jefferson education by DeMille

A Thomas Jefferson Companion

Group C

Also known as the Principle Approach.  This is a method often attributed to how many of the Founders were educated.

1. Research the topic by looking up ideas

a. first source materials (original writings, documents, autobiographies, first hand historical accounts, etc.)

b. look up terms in dictionary (keeping in mind dictionaries that are specific to the era)

c. look up terms in your sacred writings or other sources related to your beliefs (Christians-Bible)

1. Reason through the material looking for the underlying principles.

1. Relate the information you have found through research and reason and apply it to your life.

1. Record your findings in a logical, systematic, and persuasive format.

Think James Madison.

www.principleapproach.org

Preschool and Early Elementary Decisions

The way to reduce insecurity is to know what your choices are and why you chose one over the others. That means homework up front and taking an active rather than passive role but it spares you the endless shifting sands of blindly accepting recommendations, experimenting with them, and then repeating the process over and over until you finally find something that works.  It saves time, money and energy in the long run and creates a more satisfying, cohesive homeschooling experience for you, your spouse and your children.

It also gives you something intelligent to say when people question your decision to homeschool.  If you're not able to articulate what you're doing and why you're doing it the way you are, you're going to be very insecure when someone brings up the subject. 

Since you're beginning at the beginning, you can take a deep breath and rest easy.  These are the early elementary issues that come up.  Focus on those first THEN look at curriculum. 

I would consider people pushing academics for any child under the age 6 in the same category (assuming their children didn't beg daily to learn academics.)

There are 2 uses of the word preschool:

1) the time in a child's life BEFORE a child learns reading, writing, and arithmetic-usually under the age of 6 in our culture

2) a time when a child under 6 is learning reading, writing and arithmetic

There are different schools of thought on which is best for children in general and for individual children.  I suggest any parent starting out familiarize herself with the arguments for and against both and decide for herself what she thinks is best for her family and each of her individual children.

How much academics does she want for her kids? What kind of academics? How much exploring their interest? How much creative play?  How much free play? How much group play?  How much exploring nature? How much physical play?

Whether you choose academic preschool or not, I strongly suggest any parent (regardless of how they plan on having their child educated) start a read aloud routine.  There are plenty of excellent resources out there for finding quality books at the library and at book sellers.  Here are good books to help you find good books:

1) Honey for A Child's Heart

2) Books the Build Character

3) A Thomas Jefferson Education (the book lists for different age groups in the back is excellent)

You can also google award winning children's books for book lists.

My husband and I read aloud to our kids from preschool-high school about 2 hours a day (not all in one sitting.)   Search this website [The Well Trained Mind Forums] for read aloud information, suggestions, and book recordings. It's one of the most important and neglected aspects of education in America-even among many homeschoolers. There are book recordings for parents who want someone else to help read aloud to their kids and for kids who aren't reading fluently yet but want to be read to constantly.

There are a couple of categories for teaching reading.

1) Look Say (often mislabeled whole language) which is memorizing each word by how it looks

2) Phonics which is memorizing the sound each letter and each letter combination so each word is sounded out enough times until a child memorizes it by sight.

Familiarize yourself with both schools of thought and decide for yourself which you want to do and why. The vast majority of homeschoolers choose Phonics. Different Phonics curricula vary to some degree.  The most immediate difference is whether the letter names are taught first or only the letter sounds (and the names aren't mentioned.) Ruth Beechick explains why letter sounds first are preferable (both in the short and long term) in her book A Homestart in Reading.  Most other phonics approaches choose to do the letter names first. The other huge difference is how many sight words are taught in the Phonics program.

Having a good solid grasp of the two approaches will make you a more savvy shopper.

Different children are ready to learn to read at different ages.  My oldest (17 and in college now) learned to read fluently between the ages of 4 and 5. By her 5th birthday she could read any of the books in the house like an adult.  My middle child (15 and in college now) wasn't ready to learn to read until she was almost 8.  We got out the phonics when she was 6, did 2 short 10 minute sessions per day for a couple of weeks.  Nothing stuck.  We put it away for 2-3 months and repeated the process until it did stick. By the time she was 11 she could read fluently like an adult.  My youngest (now 8) was ready when she was 6.  She is a very strong reader, but not fluent like an adult yet. She'll get there when she gets there because we're voracious readers around here.

When it comes to math there are different approaches out there:

1) Most people learned to do math in a very symbolic way (counting pictures or on their fingers and adding written out numbers.) This approach emphasizes wrote memorization more.

2) Others incorporate a concrete representation of what's written on the paper with what are called "manipulatives."  Read about why and how they're used and decide if it's for you or not.  There are variations in curricula that use manipulatives and some also add in drawing some sort of representation of the thought process going on (putting groups of things together, taking a larger group and making them smaller groups, etc.) First they emphasize the concrete representation until it's mastered, then they focus on memorizing math facts for speed.

Decide for yourself which you prefer and why then you won't have to waste your time looking into curriculum that is clearly not a good fit. You can look into the different curricula that do things the way you know you prefer. 

Writing has different schools of thought and styles and priorities when it comes to the mechanics of writing.  Some start earlier and some later because of their views on brain development and the development of fine motor skills.  Then you have to decide which style of handwriting you want.  What is your goal?  Beauty?  Legibility?  Speed? Easier transitions between print and cursive/italic script?

When it comes to writing in the sense of putting ideas on paper in understandable ways, there are two approaches:

1) Narration based writing.  Children listen to something read, then they put into their own spoken words what they remember.  In the early stages a parent writes down what the child said out loud and the child copies it on paper.  Later the child does all of it on their own.

2) Not narration based. There are lots of different approaches with different techniques and priorities.  Some are more formulated than others. 

Narration is a skill developed over time with practice.  Look into what it is and how it's done. Decide if it's something you want to do.  Decide if you want to do it exclusively or in combination other approaches. Do you want formulated writing?

School at home or not?

There are roughly to two big categories of homeschoolers:

1) People who mimic school with pre-packaged curriculum like institutional schools use.  All subjects are segregated, they use grade levels, they use workbooks/textbooks that require the child to fill in the blanks, write short answers to questions at the back of the chapter, answer multiple choice questions, do a test at the end of the week, etc.  They tend to have their children doing seat work several hours a day, etc. They usually follow a schedule like the local schools do during the day and throughout the year. This type of person is usually doing a grading system of percentages and letter grades.

2) People who don't do school at home.  They use other types of materials, they often avoid any sort of grade level mindset at all (most consider it a way to slow children down) and assign different kinds of assignments that require different levels of thinking.  They have a tendency to look for approaches and materials that are more customizable and that are more flexible in nature. They tend to prefer what they call "living" or "real" books over workbook/textbooks.  They sometimes integrate subjects together.  Sometimes they do subjects, like formal logic, not done in most packaged curriculum. They often have multiple children at different developmental levels studying the same core content at the same time, but doing different levels of study and assignments. Some focus more than others on their children's individual interests and build an education around it.

What do you think of the typical education in America? (Or wherever you live.) Are you interested in doing the same at home or do you want to do something different?  Do you want to do a mix of the two? If you're interested in different, what kinds of different do you want and what kinds don't you want?

General Questions

What are your priorities for your children's education?  What are your goals for them by the time they're done with High School?  How structured do you want to be?  How hands on?  How much flexibility do you want built in?  How much of your child's interests do you want to include? How much of their childhood do want them sitting in a seat?  How much in the the field? What does your spouse say about these things?

Having a general idea about these kinds of things makes choosing what to buy and what to do much easier to decide. It also helps you ask better questions when looking into your options.

I haven't read everything. What I did read I read quickly. Her oldest is 5 years?

There is a little book, that should be able to be found cheaply on amazon second hand, or at a local library. It is called How To Tutor. I will link below. The book is a gem. I taught children to read, write and do basic math with that book for years. I also had a basic bag of goodies. My goodie bag had a sharpie, a pack of index card, things to count (Cheerios, tiny erasers, m&ms), a book to write in, pencils, crayons, cheap packs of flash cards. Access to a library is beneficial.

http://www.amazon.com/How-To-Tutor-Samuel-Blumenfeld/dp/0941995011/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395297532&sr=8-1&keywords=How+to+tutor

That book alone will give her daughter a great foundation. Science, history, can be covered by using the library and reading a large array of books.

There are many cheap workbooks that will cover a lot of skills. I am a fan of spectrum books. But there are other publishers. They all cover about the same thing. School zone workbooks are cheap and simple for the little ones. Lots of coloring, cutting, pasting. They are colorful.

I would then add books like the What Your Grader Needs To Know series. It starts at the preschool level.

Science Play or Simple Science are books might be appreciated. But if she is in a limited budget getting tall the science things do do experiments can add up.

For science you may include the books Mudpies to Magnets, and Private Eye with some loupes, Creepy Crawlies, and maybe some Outdoor Hour Challenges either on the drive or printed. Those books could take her far with the early science. May be better than science workbooks, or a graded science program.

I think maybe focus on resources that will help her to learn how to homeschool without many resources. Maybe something like this?  Unless you are going to provide curriculum every year, then giving her free programs she won't be able to keep up with might cause headache in the long run. 

You might also find some great articles online about things like teaching math without a curriculum, creating your own unit studies, learning through projects, etc. and send copies of those for her to read.

Maybe a good book of basic science experiments that use things from around the house. The Everything Kids Science Experiments Book might be a good option. 

Love the idea of an eReader loaded with free books. That will take her far!! 

You're very kind to help her out with all of this and send her a box of goodies. <3

Ondreeuh, if your friend can play mp3 files, you might consider downloading free children's podcasts from the BBC. I have found several very nice programs for young children with songs, activities, rhymes, and stories. (There are others for older children, but here are what I've seen for little ones.)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/listenplay

Literacy resources for children aged 3 to 5, from BBC Learning, primarily for use in nursery and school, with opportunities to join in with songs, traditional rhymes and stories.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/letsmove

Dance resources for children aged 5 to 7 covering popular cross-curricular topics, primarily for school use. Presented by Cat Sandion and guest presenters and featuring music specially-composed for the series. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/songtree

Music educational resources for school children aged 5 to 7, from BBC Learning, primarily for use in school, featuring opportunities to learn songs and perform them and undertake a range of musical activities. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/cr

Let CBeebies Radio take you to a world of sounds, music and voices where you can share imaginative adventures and listen to stories with your favourite CBeebies friends and characters. CBeebies Radio is BBC Radio for pre-school children and can help to develop their listening skills and imaginations.

They have also broadcast these novels:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/witw

Kenneth Grahame’s classic tale of Mole, Ratty, Toad and Badger is abridged in 10 episodes and read by Bernard Cribbins. This adaptation of the story is rich in music and sound effects and is accompanied by Teacher’s Notes and the text of each episode – making it an ideal for children studying a classic text. NOTE: This series will be removed on 26/05/2014 [That's May 26, 2014]

Charles Dickens' classic tale of Ebenezer Scrooge is abridged in 9 episodes and read by Alan Smith. The adaptation of the story is rich in music and sound effects and is accompanied by Teacher's Notes - making it ideal for children studying a classic text.

Additionally, Librivox has some by Beatrix Potter, and perhaps later, Junior Classics vol 1. Lit2Go is more professional. You can also find tons of fun old children's records uploaded at http://www.kiddierecords.com/ and http://www.artsreformation.com/records/ . You could burn these to CD.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions!

This is a fun project for me. My son is ahead of her daughter, and I had a bit of a curriculum addiction, so I am able to pass on many things that I didn't end up using for my son or am done with. Here is what I have chosen so far:

For her 6-year-old (reading, doing some basic math, interested in science, probably absorbed a ton through living because she has a fabulous mom)

Math

Singapore 1A & 1B

Math Minutes 1 & 2

Education Unboxed videos (downloading and renaming/indexing each file was tedious, but hopefully worth it to her)

Cuisenaire rods

Counting bears

Geoboard

Colored tiles

small geared clock

Unifix cubes

English

Language Lessons Through Literature 1 & 2

All of the books for those levels on an e-reader

Evan-Moor's Language Fundamentals 2 for reinforcement as needed

E-M Building Spelling Skills

Italic handwriting workbook

Reading/Other Lit

Story Stretchers

Five in a Row

E-M Literature Pockets and Read & Understand books

History/Geography

Adventures in America

History Pockets: Native Americans and Life in Plymouth Colony

Tall-Tales Mini-Books and Pioneers Mini-Books

Daily Geography 1

Science

Option 1) 2nd grade science textbook & digital copy of the workbook

Option 2) Daily Science 1 & she can get library books

+ RSO Life and RSO Earth/Space with a recommendation to just pick activities that look interesting.

Art/Music

Art coloring book

Maestro Classics

Opera for Everyone

Critical Thinking

Mindbenders A1

E-M Critical and Creative 1

For her 4 year old: (not reading at all yet)

Calvert Kindergarten manuals, poetry book, science activity book

OPG and flashcards

Primary Phonics 2-4

Sonlight "I Can Read It" books

Elemental Science: Exploring Science & Science Play

Pattern blocks & pattern book

I downloaded the ebooks for LLTL from Project Gutenberg but haven't transferred them yet to test them out. Are there better sites for free ebooks? The preferred file format is epub, but I can convert via Calibre.

I'm working on the audiobooks ... I have Audible, so I'm spoiled. I don't want to burn a million CDs (I will probably be sending two boxes at this point) but would rather send her a big flash drive full of audiobooks on mp3. She can burn to CD or listen from her computer. I will check out Lit2Go and the BBC stuff.

I'm working on the audiobooks ... I have Audible, so I'm spoiled. I don't want to burn a million CDs (I will probably be sending two boxes at this point) but would rather send her a big flash drive full of audiobooks on mp3. She can burn to CD or listen from her computer. I will check out Lit2Go and the BBC stuff.

http://www.storynory.com/ is also nicely produced.

You might find this interesting as well

http://kayray.org/kayray-reads/

I have a friend who has the kids put a plastic sheet on top of the math workbook page and use a dry erase marker each day. In this way she can use the same math book for multiple children. She is using Saxon.

Ruth in NZ

We do this with MIF K and 1. Any plastic sheet will do, though I've found SmartPal Sleeves to be really durable. I do also use the MiF assessments just to have record of their progress, but in spite of the initial cost, the assessments are reproducible. I've added no other curriculum to MIF at this point but basic math flash cards, and it's worked beautifully.

There are a bunch of inexpensive kindle books by Mark Farley on Amazon that  are pretty good.  I think I got them for free when they had a special and someone posted about it to the forum.  Here is a link to one of them http://www.amazon.com/Insects-Fascinating-Childrens-Looking-Spiders-ebook/dp/B00BNMMU3Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1395752193&sr=8-2&keywords=mark+farley

You can download a the kindle app free to a computer and can then download the books at the library.  We have sent Kindle books as gifts and that has worked pretty well so far.  

Project Gutenberg has lots of free classics and children's classics that can be downloaded to a kindle or several other readers as well.  I have found a ton of stuff there.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that maybe someone who has no money, no decent library, no internet, no ability to research curricula, and (it seems) no knowledge of homeschooling options (as well as being isolated) is not in the best position to homeschool. Perhaps the situation is not as bleak as you've painted it.

Anyway, Here's my list:

Math: Math Mammoth - inexpensive, in-depth

Grammar: First Language Lessons - inexpensive, covers the first two years if you get the old combined book

Writing: Writing With Ease textbook (not the workbook) - covers four years of writing instruction, can be found used very inexpensively

Science: Usborne Science Encyclopedia (2001 edition) or First Encyclopedia of Science - can build studies off this spine by finding library books

History - SOTW, some History Pockets books

Any cheap handwriting workbook would be fine.

I like the idea of sending along the What your First Grader Needs to Know book.

I think this would be adequate for 1st grade.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that maybe someone who has no money, no decent library, no internet, no ability to research curricula, and (it seems) no knowledge of homeschooling options (as well as being isolated) is not in the best position to homeschool. Perhaps the situation is not as bleak as you've painted it.

No, it's not that bleak. She is very intelligent and resourceful (she pulls out the phone book and calls around all the time), but she just needs a hand getting started since she doesn't know any local homeschoolers and there aren't any curriculum stores where she is. She already taught her oldest to read by checking out a million books from the library and teaching her to sound them out. She teaches math concepts through real life. She would mostly like a scope & sequence to follow, and I am confident she can do a bang-up job.

Anyway, Here's my list:

Math: Math Mammoth - inexpensive, in-depth

Grammar: First Language Lessons - inexpensive, covers the first two years if you get the old combined book

Writing: Writing With Ease textbook (not the workbook) - covers four years of writing instruction, can be found used very inexpensively

Science: Usborne Science Encyclopedia (2001 edition) or First Encyclopedia of Science - can build studies off this spine by finding library books

History - SOTW, some History Pockets books

Any cheap handwriting workbook would be fine.

I like the idea of sending along the What your First Grader Needs to Know book.

I think this would be adequate for 1st grade.

I like your list.  I would maybe do the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia instead of SOTW for the sake of saving $.  You can use library books to fill things out.

A library card from a larger city might be worth the investment, even if she can only go 1x per month, 

Well, I guess I should've posted this earlier.

I think it's very nice of you to pass on things you're not longer using to other homeschoolers.  BTDT.  However, I would strongly caution you about making curriculum and materials decisions for someone else. Also, don't make assumptions about what subjects and content someone else would or wouldn't consider. Over the years people (homeschoolers and non-homeschoolers) have given me suggestions and materials out of the kindness of their hearts.  Some were laughably off base.  Some were insulting. Very few were something I actually wanted.

I would also strongly caution you to avoid doing someone's research for them.  Yes, I give homeschoolers an overview, but I don't do much more than that.  I also avoid their specific questions about how and why I do things the way I do until they've got a more solid grasp on what they want to do and why. Why? Because I also deal with homeschoolers who didn't bother to do their homework before they invested time and money into curriculum and other materials who are now in the process of trying to figure out how to make chnages with no money because they spent it all randomly selecting someting, experiementing with it, finding it doesn't work and repeating the proces again and again. That's a big risk for people who just ask other people for recommendations without any deeper thought about the ideas covered in my previous post.

Let's remember that homeschooling veterans like me managed to do research about homeschooling approach options, compare and contrast homeschooling curricula, connect with different homeschooling groups, interview veteran homeschoolers and maximize our local libraries and bookstores, all without the internet and many of us with little or no funds.

She has a local library with a computer that has internet access, yes? If so, then she can do her research there.  It's not as easy as doing research at home online, but it's easier than before the internet was invented.

There are local homeschoolers, but she doesn't know them, right?  She needs to take the initiative to seek them out and connect with them. If there aren't any, remember that early homeschoolers managed to homeschool thier kids when no one else around them even knew what homeschooling was in the early 1980s. They didn't have curriculum options then either, yet they manged to well educate their kids at home.

Well, I guess I should've posted this earlier.

I think it's very nice of you to pass on things you're not longer using to other homeschoolers. BTDT. However, I would strongly caution you about making curriculum and materials decisions for someone else. Also, don't make assumptions about what subjects and content someone else would or wouldn't consider. Over the years people (homeschoolers and non-homeschoolers) have given me suggestions and materials out of the kindness of their hearts. Some were laughably off base. Some were insulting. Very few were something I actually wanted.

I would also strongly caution you to avoid doing someone's research for them. Yes, I give homeschoolers an overview, but I don't do much more than that. I also avoid their specific questions about how and why I do things the way I do until they've got a more solid grasp on what they want to do and why. Why? Because I also deal with homeschoolers who didn't bother to do their homework before they invested time and money into curriculum and other materials who are now in the process of trying to figure out how to make chnages with no money because they spent it all randomly selecting someting, experiementing with it, finding it doesn't work and repeating the proces again and again. That's a big risk for people who just ask other people for recommendations without any deeper thought about the ideas covered in my previous post.

Let's remember that homeschooling veterans like me managed to do research about homeschooling approach options, compare and contrast homeschooling curricula, connect with different homeschooling groups, interview veteran homeschoolers and maximize our local libraries and bookstores, all without the internet and many of us with little or no funds.

She has a local library with a computer that has internet access, yes? If so, then she can do her research there. It's not as easy as doing research at home online, but it's easier than before the internet was invented.

There are local homeschoolers, but she doesn't know them, right? She needs to take the initiative to seek them out and connect with them. If there aren't any, remember that early homeschoolers managed to homeschool thier kids when no one else around them even knew what homeschooling was in the early 1980s. They didn't have curriculum options then either, yet they manged to well educate their kids at home.

This is good advice. I definitely see he point of her "owning" her homeschool journey. I'm trying to help her get off to what I think would be a good start, based on what I know about her and her living situation. I also know that many of us had to just start somewhere and then evaluate what was working and what wasn't. It will be easier for her to know if she likes SOTW after she tries it. I did sign her up for a dozen or so catalogs (Calvert, Sonlight, CTC, MBTP, Peace Hill Press, Memoria Press, Timberdoodle, Home Science Tools, Evan-Moor, etc.) and she initially wanted to do a grade-level package from CTC. I cautioned her about some of the drawbacks of that approach. She is such a creative person and does so much real life learning with her kid, that I don't think 8 CTC workbooks would be a good fit. What she was attracted to was the critical thinking, which I think she would get from Singapore math and in-depth studies. She has started to read novels aloud to her kids and I think she would like LLTL. But I'm also including other grammar and writing resources so she has other things to try and compare. I'm not packaging up a box and a checklist and assigning her work, I am giving her well-chosen materials, suggestions on how to use them, examples of different combinations, and the freedom to ultimately do what works for her.

Ondreeuh :grouphug: You are doing fine!

I'm going to repeat that oldschoolers often had no internet and only $100.00 a year. It's NOT bleak to be in this situation!

Also, many oldschoolers were NOT able to choose their books. Often they were given some things or found things at a yard sale or library and had to adapt or just not use any curriculum.

I did misunderstand, thinking that she wasn't up to a lot of research or teacher-prep, but now I understand more. Even if that was the case, that is not a problem, though. Some of the most successful homeschools have moms who have continued to use what they were first given by someone else.

But since she has already been creatively using library resources, I would choose different things for her, than I first did. I totally understand her desire for some workbooks after having to teach reading the way she did, and for that reason I would keep some of my original list.

Since she is teaching in oldschool circumstances, I would send her used copies of some oldschool resources.

An experienced homeschooler picked some of my first books for me, and she was right on. I will be forever grateful to that woman. With no internet, I didn't even know where to get a catalog, and when I did get catalogs the descriptions were SO brief.

I can share a list of oldschool OOP books, if you want to go that route later on. Right now I'd just send her some of the things you have and let her go through those and see what she thinks.