Menu

What butter substitute for chocolate chip cookies?

klmama

We use (generic all vegetable) CRISCO

It tastes delicious! 

It makes the cookies have a soft, chewy consistency, if you slightly under-cook them!

It's dairy-free! 

And it clogs your arteries!  :-)

But what is the use of making icky chocolate chip cookies?!?  :)  :)

Earth Balance here too. They are yummy!!!

I sometimes use Spectrum shortening in my cookies. But those cookies tend to spread out too much when baking.

I've also subbed applesauce is some things or half Earth Balance/half applesauce.

We use (generic all vegetable) CRISCO!

And it clogs your arteries!  :-)

But what is the use of making icky chocolate chip cookies?!?  :)  :)

I refuse to use Crisco, except for candles during power outages, but your comment about it clogging arteries made me laugh out loud!  :laugh:   Maybe I'm too easy to amuse.

My subsitution suggestion would be bananas, along with using Pamela's Baking and Pancake Mix.  I grind my own grains for flour, but when it comes to cookies, Pamela's is where it's at.   :drool5:

*Edited to add: Just saw on my Pamela's package that it has powdered buttermilk in it.  How sad!

Can you share the recipe? I make one with almond flour, but am always looking for new options. :)

I make one with almond flour, ground coconut and sometimes pb for a pb choc chip variation. And another recipe using coconut flour which I don't like as much since coconut flour makes a cakier cookie. Which would you like?

I make one with almond flour, ground coconut and sometimes pb for a pb choc chip variation. And another recipe using coconut flour which I don't like as much since coconut flour makes a cakier cookie. Which would you like?

Mine is all almond flour, and pretty much like a regular chocolate chip cookie, although I do the one from Elena's Pantry too. I've tried coconut flour recipes, but because they usually take so many eggs or butter, I don't like them as much.

THis is really really good and has some coconut flour in it...http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2013/05/chocolate-brownie-mug-cake-low-carb-gluten-free.html 

Trader Joe's Chocolate Chips are dairy free.  It is a 90 minute drive to TJ for me so I buy 24 bags at a time.  They always ask me if I am planning on a lot of baking.

I also use Earth Balance.

This is possibly not true anymore.  If you look at the little circle with a K inside and a little D outside the circle, that means there is a possibility that dairy chips may be mixed into the bag.  They did truly used to be dairy free.  When they announced this to the kosher keeping public that wanted dairy-free chips, we all freaked out!  I went to an area populated by non-Jews and bought almost 40 bags.  I still have one or two.  I hate the alternatives...

Can you share the recipe? I make one with almond flour, but am always looking for new options. :)

Here are two recipes ::

Salted Peanut Butter Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients:

1/2 cup raw sugar

110 grams (approx 3.8oz) room temperature butter

1 teaspoon vanilla essence

1/2 cup cocoa powder

1 cup almond flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup dark chocolate chips

1 cup chopped peanuts

1 egg, lightly beaten

1/4 cup coconut oil

1/2 cup crunchy unsalted peanut butter

salt flakes to sprinkle over

Preheat oven to 160ËšC (350ËšF).

Method.

1. Combine the flours, baking powder, cocoa and salt in a mixing bowl and set aside.

2. In the bowl of a mixer cream the butter with the sugar and vanilla essence. Add the dry ingredients including the nuts and choc chips. Mix the egg with the coconut oil and add to the dry ingredients, stir to combine. Add the peanut butter then with a large spoon gently fold it through.

3. Using a tablespoon or a cookie scoop drop balls of dough onto a lined baking sheet and slightly flatten with your fingers.*

4. Bake for 25 minutes and allow cookies to cool completely on the baking sheets. They will be soft when they come out of the oven and will firm up when they cool.

5. Scatter salt flakes over cookies when cool if you love the salty-sweet combo.

Cranberry Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients

2 1/4 cups almond flour

1/3 cup coconut palm sugar

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1 egg, lightly beaten

1/3 cup coconut oil, melted

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1/2 cup unsweetened dried cranberries (or fresh, finely chopped)

1/2 cup chopped walnuts

1 cup chocolate chips (or chopped high % cacao chocolate)

Method

Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, sugar, baking soda, salt. Stir in egg, oil and vanilla until thoroughly combined. Stir in cranberries, walnuts and chocolate chips.

Form by hand into 1-inch balls, and place on baking sheet. Flatten with palm. Bake 7 to 10 minutes or until just starting to brown on top.

Let cool on pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

• 2 weeks later...

Earth balance works well or bananas if you want low fat.

Earth Balance here too. They are yummy!!!

I sometimes use Spectrum shortening in my cookies. But those cookies tend to spread out too much when baking.

I've also subbed applesauce is some things or half Earth Balance/half applesauce.

Almond butter!

earth balance red label!  1 15 oz tub equals 4 sticks (you always use slightly less substitute than butter and this ratio works perfect)

Would you all explain how well these substitutes work for butter?  I've been seeking a butter alternative as well.  I'd like to stay from a lot of soy as one can consume too much of it.  It's a cheap filler in the American diet.  Thanks.

Would you all explain how well these substitutes work for butter?  I've been seeking a butter alternative as well.  I'd like to stay from a lot of soy as one can consume too much of it.  It's a cheap filler in the American diet.  Thanks.

I don't know if you can take a recipe and sub almond butter for reg. butter. I would find recipes that don't have butter and have the ingredients you want to use. There are so many blogs out there with tons of recipes for gluten free, dairy free, paleo, grain free etc.

ok, thanks Susan.  I do like the banana substitute for butter idea too.  I like butter but the cholesterol amount is a concern b/c I use better for a lot of things.  I don't use the chemical margarine.  I really need to find a substitute.

The Earth Balance red label is soy-free.

That is the one I always buy as well. I can't eat dairy due to allergies, my family eats it instead of real butter. It is good.

The Earth Balance red label is soy-free.

That is the one I always buy as well. I can't eat dairy due to allergies, my family eats it instead of real butter. It is good.

oh! I went to the health food store today and talked with someone about this very thing....an earth balance that is soy free.  I know people can consume too much soy and that is why I want soy-free.  that's great.  is it tub or stick?  also, you bake with it, right?  use it just like butter?  can you use it for baking if it comes in a tub?  I doubt it's available in stick, but i'm waiting to hear back from ya on that! LOL!

oh! I went to the health food store today and talked with someone about this very thing....an earth balance that is soy free.  I know people can consume too much soy and that is why I want soy-free.  that's great.  is it tub or stick?  also, you bake with it, right?  use it just like butter?  can you use it for baking if it comes in a tub?  I doubt it's available in stick, but i'm waiting to hear back from ya on that! LOL!

It comes in both tub and sticks but I can only find the sticks at Whole Foods. 

I use it just like butter, I bake with it and everything. It turns out great. I have made cakes and all sorts of things with the tub version. I only recently saw the sticks...before that I was using the tub. I am not sure what the difference is. :lol:

It comes in both tub and sticks but I can only find the sticks at Whole Foods. 

I use it just like butter, I bake with it and everything. It turns out great. I have made cakes and all sorts of things with the tub version. I only recently saw the sticks...before that I was using the tub. I am not sure what the difference is. :lol:

Yep, after my last reply I googled EB.   One of their new products is the red label stick version!!!!!!!!!    I'm glad to hear you've had great success with the tub version.  The sticks should be equal to that at least if not better.  Thanks much!

I think the soy-free Earth balance tastes better than the other varieties, but that is just my opinion. Butter flavored shortening tastes more like butter to me, but not the healthiest option. If you want something more natural, you can use coconut oil. I don't bother to melt it, I just use it like butter. I typically use almond flour with it, so that might hide the taste more than regular white flour would. Coconut oil is super expensive though, so if you shop at Costco I would try to find it there.