Menu

Pixie Haircuts... Updated with pictures and links to same pictures!!!

jenn-

For those that go in every 4-6 weeks, how much are your cuts typically?  I would expect the first cut to be pretty expensive, but are the trimmings just as bad?  DH might flip if I do something that requires I get a $50 haircut every month.

I take my dd in every 6 weeks and it's $35 plus add tip. She's really ready for a trip by 5 weeks, but we stretch it to 6 because of the price. We use an Aria salon. I knew it was a sort of upscale place, at least a giant step up from where we were going, but we had no recommendation for anyone. We were lucky, we got a great stylist. She's also done my hair and my son's hair. I'm hoping she stays around a while.

I've done long hair to pixie and then back to long hair twice. I love my hair short, but regular expensive cuts, daily washing, and some sort of hair goo is necessary. At this point in my life, long hair is significantly easier and much cheaper.

Growing out a pixie is pretty horrible. The mullet phase lasts a long time and I dislike my hair as it grows through all sorts of unflattering lengths. I love my hair super short and long enough tow to least pull into a bun. Chin to shoulder length hair on me whirls and flips and requires a lot of styling so I don't look demented.

Even while pregnant and nursing, I was mistaken for a boy with my short hair. There are many people who just rely on hair length to figure out sex. Usually, they'd be pretty embarrassed when they realized their error. My brother went through the same thing when his hair was shoulder length.

If you've never gone so short before, I really recommend trying it. There are very few things you can do in half an hour that so radically change your appearance. I love the weightless feeling after a huge chop. Washing your hair for the first time and realizing how little there is actually there is also a unique experience.

Er...you and I could be twins (not kidding, one of my kids just walked by the computer and asked why I posted a picture of myself online!), so I will be following this thread with interest.  Post a picture of your new haircut once you decide, this way I can see what I would look like before I get my hair chopped off :D

Er...you and I could be twins (not kidding, one of my kids just walked by the computer and asked why I posted a picture of myself online!), so I will be following this thread with interest.  Post a picture of your new haircut once you decide, this way I can see what I would look like before I get my hair chopped off :D

How funny!

I finally mentioned my desire to my DH, and as always he is supportive to whatever I decide to do.  He does like my long hair when I wear it down around the house in the mornings (aka before coffee and contacts), but realizes that I will never wear it down constantly.  I guess the next step is to book a consultation.  I need a cut no matter what so I guess I will go in and see what the stylist has to say.

Looking at your picture I can't tell.  Is your hair all one length?  Or at least long layers?  You might also consider getting some length cut off (just below shoulders?), some bangs cut and some shorter layers all over added.  I'm right there with you about not liking having my hair bugging me in my face.  I have below-the-shoulder length hair and have always had long layers.  I asked my last stylist to cut in shorter layers (telling her that I'd tell other stylists this and for some reason they couldn't seem to be able to cut shorter layers into my hair), and she did.  I can now wear my hair down more because it doesn't bug me around my face.  The short layers are *just* long enough to go into a high ponytail for my bedtime 'do.  Two differences between me and you, though -- I don't have bangs and don't want them (I think they'd look good on you, though -- the wispy longer bangs, not a straight line across bangs!), and I have curly hair so when I style it, the curls also pull hair away from my face. 

Just a thought as one step to try before going pixie.  :)

Looking at your picture I can't tell.  Is your hair all one length?  Or at least long layers?  You might also consider getting some length cut off (just below shoulders?), some bangs cut and some shorter layers all over added.  I'm right there with you about not liking having my hair bugging me in my face.  I have below-the-shoulder length hair and have always had long layers.  I asked my last stylist to cut in shorter layers (telling her that I'd tell other stylists this and for some reason they couldn't seem to be able to cut shorter layers into my hair), and she did.  I can now wear my hair down more because it doesn't bug me around my face.  The short layers are *just* long enough to go into a high ponytail for my bedtime 'do.  Two differences between me and you, though -- I don't have bangs and don't want them (I think they'd look good on you, though -- the wispy longer bangs, not a straight line across bangs!), and I have curly hair so when I style it, the curls also pull hair away from my face. 

Just a thought as one step to try before going pixie.  :)

My hair is one length.  It literally takes the people at Walmart all of 10 minutes to cut my hair and that's if they are trying to drag it out.  I haven't sported bangs since the sixth grade and the thought of cutting them is terrifying.  Any cut that is long enough to go into a ponytail goes into ponytail. 

Here is what I looked like carrying 40ish more pounds and the last dramatic cut I had.  I can tell you that I invested in headbands almost immediately after getting the cut.

d62cd0b7-2961-47df-841e-aec8caa4a1b9_zps

I like that cut. I think bangs and a shorter (but still shoulder or a touch longer), very layered cut might be nice (and if you don't like the bangs, you're just going to cut them anyway for the pixie, right?).  I think it's worth a shot because you can just get the pixie if you don't like it. 

Re: hair cuts, I used to be a salon snob.  I never would have ventured into a Hair Cuttery or SuperCuts or beauty school.  But since four kids, I have…and you know what? The cuts are just as good.  No difference.  Seriously.  I usually go to the Hair Cuttery, but I've also gone to an Aveda school and had great cuts.  Price? $15. or so.  I can highlights in for $3/highlight.  

Re: hair cuts, I used to be a salon snob.  I never would have ventured into a Hair Cuttery or SuperCuts or beauty school.  But since four kids, I have…and you know what? The cuts are just as good.  No difference.  Seriously.  I usually go to the Hair Cuttery, but I've also gone to an Aveda school and had great cuts.  Price? $15. or so.  I can highlights in for $3/highlight.  

I wish the school was closer.  Honestly, I just want an honest consultation.  I don't want to go somewhere that will just chop my hair without giving me a good opinion on the outcome.  That said, I have an appointment with an Aveda salon tomorrow for a consult and cut tomorrow afternoon.  I am open for just getting it cut a little shorter if they really think my hair won't handle the pixie style.

Wow I am impressed with the cut.  I have been thinking of going really short as well.  I went chin length with 17 inches cut off recently.  I am pretty happy with it for now, but also dream of just not having to mess with hair at all.  Not a big fan of going in for a lot of cuts though.

You look great.  I hope you enjoy it...let us know how it progresses for you.  :)

It looks great! It really draws attention to your eyes.

FYI--my favorite product for styling my pixie is spray wax. It gives my hair some shine, a bit of hold and some texture that makes it look more interesting.

Is there a particular brand you use?

I love it - you look adorable!! What I like to do with my short cuts is to do something fun/funky with highlights.  Like you could bleach out the bangs or do some chunky highlights.  Makes me feel younger and more feminine with the short hair.  You look great and so modern!!

Thanks for the compliments everyone!  I hardly recognize myself in the mirror.

You look adorable. I think you are going to like it! What did you kids think?

My DD is now considering getting hers cut short.  One of the boys immediately declared that I wasn't Mom.  Another one has been busily recreating me in Lego people changing out the long hair on the ladies to a shorter spiky 'do.  The last one is indifferent and DH would never say anything negative even if he hated it.

We all went to the same 2 or 3 local beauty schools.  No reason for snobbery- some excellent hairdressers choose chain salons for location/hours. I've owkred in a Fantastic Sam's and fixed $75 haircuts, and I've had a few custmers who didn't like my style.

My 13yo cuts my hair now.

Right now I'm using Play Dirty by SexyHair. I get it at Ulta with a coupon. A little goes a long way so a can lasts a long time.

Does it have a heavy scent? I bought some L'Oreal Paris hair putty and it has a heavy perfumey smell to it.

So I stepped outside this morning trying to convince my dog she really wouldn't melt in the rain and came in with my hair wet enough that I could have shampooed it and I was only out there about 30 seconds.  Yesterday I took my first shower and I swear I only used a tiny bit of shampoo in relation to what I normally do and it was still a good 3 times as much as I needed.

I read in another thread that someone couldn't see pictures in thread so here is the link to the album.

Right now I'm using Play Dirty by SexyHair. I get it at Ulta with a coupon. A little goes a long way so a can lasts a long time.

I went to Ulta last night and couldn't find that one by SexyHair.  After much looking around and sniffing of other brands one of the guys working in there came and asked us what we were looking for.  I told him I needed a fairly unscented texture paste and he tried really hard to find one that didn't stink in the women's section before he gave up and took me to the men's department.  Bingo!  Men don't want to smell like they have hair product in.  I ended up with a product by American Crew that I hope works for my needs.  As today is a rainy dreary day, I probably won't try it out until tomorrow.