Menu

Can you recommend a "girl detective" series for 4th-6th grade?

ravinlunachick

Trixie Belden- I LOVED these in about 4th and 5th grade. In fact, my friends and I wrote three Trixie Belden plays and produced them at school. :) 

Cam Jansen is a girl, but those might be lower reading level (I haven't read them myself so not sure)

I think American Girl has two series of mysteries: History Mysteries and Historical Character Mysteries 

I had forgotten all about both Trixie Belden and the Sisters Grimm! I enjoyed Trixie when I was around dd's age, and we read the first Sisters Grimm novel a year or so ago. Thanks for the suggestions. :)

Alas, (but not for my pocketbook!) dd rejects all things American Girl for her own mysterious reasons, lol.

Wow, thank y'all for the suggestions. I knew I could count on The Hive! :D

No, she hasn't tried any of the classics yet. She has given up on a few of the more recent ones, though.

We loved the three books by Blue Balliet in the Chasing Vermeer series - they feature a girl and (2?) boys who are friends who solve mysteries.

We also liked the Enola Holmes (Sherlock's younger sister) books and the Kit Salter adventures (Egyptology and mysteries!)

I can't speak from experience, but I've heard good things about these books:

Enola Holmes series by Nancy Springer

and

Echo Falls series by Peter Abrahams

Regards,

Kareni

Echo Falls is definitely YA. I've only read a couple of them but they feel geared to older kids. The characters swear--F word among them--and in one of the books (can't remember which) one character is suspected of doing drugs; it's key to the plot.

So, for all you Trixie fans out there...who still remembers that scene where Jim gives Trixie that charm bracelet and tells her she's his "special girl"? *swoon*. And then they...gasp...held hands for the rest of the plane ride home! My little ten year old heart was all aflutter.

The Sherlock Files series by Tracy Barrett has a brother/sister pair solving mysteries. The 100-Year-Old Secret is the first one.

For about 6th grade & up, I highly recommend the Flavia de Luce books by Alan Bradley. The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie is the first one. (Ds started reading these around 5th or 6th grade & absolutely adores the entire series. [i do too.] They're adult mysteries but are fine, content-wise, imo, for kids. Kids need to be decent readers re: vocabulary & probably appreciate dry British wit to fully enjoy them.)

So, for all you Trixie fans out there...who still remembers that scene where Jim gives Trixie that charm bracelet and tells her she's his "special girl"? *swoon*. And then they...gasp...held hands for the rest of the plane ride home! My little ten year old heart was all aflutter.

Absolutely!

I still have vivid recall of reading it for the first time. LOL

Trixie Belden, yes.

I remember loving Agatha Christie books at that age - I liked Hercule Poirot; obviously not a girl, though :D

I also remember a series called "Doris Fein, Superspy"  Doris was an heiress who solved mysteries and international intrigue.  It has been 30 years since I read them, so don't really remember much more about them ... but I still remember the name of the character and that I really liked them when I read them ...

She isn't exactly a "girl detective," but Vesper Holly is an awful lot of fun:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-el-dorado-adventure-lloyd-alexander/1009306938?ean=9780141304632

My daughter loved this series when she was eight or nine. I believe there are six books in the series.

DD is reading Lloyd Alexander's Book of Three right now for school. She'll enjoy more of his work, I think.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

I agree with the Trixie Belden recommendations. They were my favorite books when I was younger and my mom actually bought me the first 18 books in hardcover a few years ago for Christmas! And yes, I do re-read them. :-)

Donna Parker was good too. 

And I read a bunch of Agatha Christie at that age, the Miss Marple books might be interesting to her.

DD had no luck at the library today. She wants a book, preferably a series, of mystery novels featuring, in her words, "a girl detective." She has enjoyed the Boxcar Children books in the past, but rejected Nancy Drew when I suggested it today. The librarian was of no help. :glare:

TIA!

Trixie Belden

Bobbsey Twins

Happy Hollisters

(These are the series I read in 6th grade)

Cherry Ames if you can find it (I think this is a mystery)

One-off is Harriet the Spy

i LOVED the Westing game at that time but didn't recommend because I don't remember if the detective is male or female

There's a bunch of "main characters", but a girl is one of the most prominent.

Harriet the Spy and sequel(s)? They were honestly not my cup of tea, but I know a lot of people love them.

For about 6th grade & up, I highly recommend the Flavia de Luce books by Alan Bradley. The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie is the first one. (Ds started reading these around 5th or 6th grade & absolutely adores the entire series. [i do too.] They're adult mysteries but are fine, content-wise, imo, for kids. Kids need to be decent readers re: vocabulary & probably appreciate dry British wit to fully enjoy them.)

This is the series my 14 yo dd loves. Flavia is an 11 yo girl (I think), so it would seem to be geared towards 11 yo girls, but one of the things my dd likes is the vocab and the way they're written