Menu

s/o biggest curriculum mistakes...biggest winners?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is one curriculum that I've used so far that I would absolutely fully endorse and that's AAS.  I am a fantastic speller and have learned things from AAS that I never knew (but spelled instinctively).  

I also love Singapore for my oldest DS.  But I hate it for my DD, who has dyscalculia.  So far, Singapore K has been a good fit for my 2nd DS...we'll see how he does with it once he starts 1A.  

Favorites that we cannot do without are Math Mammoth, Analytical Grammar, and Writing with Ease.

What didn't work for us was Sequential Spelling. At least not for my dd12.

We like the rest of what we use just not enough to get really excited over it. Lol

i think it means "spin off" :confused1:

I have always thought it meant, "speaking of" - but spin off makes sense too.  :laugh:

Our winners:

TOG

R & S English and Spelling

ETC - youngest ds loved it

Teaching Textbooks

Sonlight Core 5 Eastern Hemisphere- one of our favorite school years

SOTW is a huge winner for us--love it.

Spalding was also a big winner this year. My DS moved seamlessly from 100EZ (which we also loved last year) into Spalding, and while I had to modify things to accommodate his fine motor issues, he has learned.so.much.

The biggest surprise winner, though, was the Learning to Read and Loving It series of readers available on the Spalding site. I was so hesitant to shell out the money, especially since WRTR (4th Ed) steers instructors away from phonics readers and encourages real literature. But "real lit" was way beyond my struggling new reader, and the readers we pulled from the library were a dismal failure (too easy! Or too hard! too many words per page! too many phonograms he hadn't learned yet! too many star wars and superhero names that I couldn't even pronounce!) However, Learning to Read? This.was.perfect for my son. Since it followed the sequence of phonogram instruction in WRTR, it reinforced his lessons and challenged him without overwhelming him. And --somewhat to my surprise-- he loves the stories/illustrations (even the informative books that he initially declared 'boring' based on the covers and topics.) We are in Series 2 now; still "Loving It." :-)

MCP readers, btw, are also a favorite -- but the Spalding readers provided the intentional sequential learning for us that MCP didn't . MCP was a painful experience for DS *until* he'd completed Spalding's Series 1 (which covers all 70 phonograms). Now MCP is "easy" and we use them with great success for the purpose of improving fluency and confidence.

I love how so many of these listed as the biggest winners are listed in the biggest mistakes thread as well!!!

Over the years I'd say my favorite things are/have been:

Bravewriter

Pandia Press products for science and history

Joy Hakim US History *with* the Oxford Teacher Guides

SOTW

What Your _Needs to Know books

WWE

Sequential Spelling

Miquon

Peak With Books

Private Eye

Outdoor Hour Challenges nature study

Easy Grammar

Handwriting Without Tears

Montessori inspired anything

Drawing With Children

Janice VanCleave books

Ambleside

We have lots of things that are working well right now.

Right Start Math - It's working with my 3 oldest kiddos right now.  We all really enjoy it!  It may be time consuming but it's worth it right now.

FLL - so easy to use and my daughter is retaining it well.  Short, sweet, and easy!

WWE - Easy to use and I've seen my oldest really grow in her spelling (thank you dictation!) and narration ability.  She also really enjoys the excerpts. 

SOTW - It gets done consistently and we have learned so many fun facts.  My daughter finds it very interesting!

Beast - We just started but it's been fun and challenging.

CAP Fable - Also just started this one but I really love it!  My daughter enjoys it as well.

AAR - I love it!  My son says reading gives him nightmares but it's not the program - it's definitely him!  He likes the readers and likes the challenging of reading all of the word cards correctly.  And he finds all the little games to be very fun.  I like that it's easy to use and that it's working for him.  He is finally making some real progress and he's very proud of himself!

Prufrock Press Logic books - My kids LOVE these.  They always ask to do more logic!

Getting Started with Spanish - Learning tons and the lessons are short and doable.

NL Science - We do science on a regular basis and my kids find it fun.  The supplies are provided and I don't have to stress over planning it.  I really needed easy because I have been feeling overwhelmed when trying to get science done with all my little people.  My kids retain a ridiculous amount of info from the lessons and they want to do science.  I love that the lessons are very short. 

So, if it's short and sweet, easy to use, and requires little planning or prep time for me, I love it!  I tell myself that I'll be able to do more creative stuff when I don't have so many little people destroying my house. 

But if we can get it done without making me feel stressed then I like it.......or maybe I just like it because we actually get it done. 

Mystery of History audio cds

Charlotte Mason Help

Home Art Studio

MacArthur's ESV Bible

My Book House series

HOD's emerging reader schedule

Hey Andrew! Greek!

Education Unboxed videos

My boys would vote for Minecraft Homeschool hands-down.

CLE math for my workbook-only girl

Teaching Textbooks for my anything-but-a-workbook girl

Starline Press History and Science

My younger daughter absolutely loves ACE Creative Writing and Literature.

I've actually liked most of what I've used, but these were the stand-out hits (that come to mind, wow it's been a lot of years!):

Reading Reflex

Sequential Spelling

Singapore Math

K12 Human Odyssey v. 1-3

MCT LA

Foersters Algebra

AoPS

CPO Physics: A First Course

Mr. Q Advanced Chemistry

CLE Bible & Math

Apologia's Zoology 3

Sonlight Cores D & E (History & Lit) combined with ACE's American History PACES (strange marriage, I know!)

Essentials in Writing

Teaching Textbooks Algebra

Notgrass American History & Bible

Paradigm Accelerated Curriculum's Chemistry

Electives from Alpha Omega

SCM Bible Study

(For grades 5,6,10 & 11)

McRuffy Language Arts for my girls.  The usual things (HWT, OPGTR) just weren't working for DD2 so I switched her and ended up switching DD1 also, they're thriving with it!  

Getting Started With Latin for DS1, he asks to do it every day.  

For the younger years, Christopherus curriculum. Rigorous, fun, beautiful, easy to adapt to Australian content, just fantastic. The only downside is that it only goes up to year 5. If it went up to year 8, we'd still be using it.

MEP for maths. This is a standout at teaching conceptual mathematical thinking. While I loved Key to....., I wished we'd started MEP earlier.

Peter McInnes' Australian Backyard Explorer, and companions Backyard Naturalist and Back Astronomer. Great for us Aussies who usually spend time adapting US curricula. Honestly, these are so good you might want to immigrate just so

you can use them.

History Alive books by Peter Moss. Published in the UK in the 1970s. Great treatment of history from 55BCE onwards. I'm slowly collecting the set (I'm missing book 3).

D

• 2 weeks later...

Best-

1 year Chronological Bible

SOTW and the adult version of SWB's history books for high school

Greenleaf Guide to Ancient Literature

Martin Cothran's Traditional Logic, Traditional Logic 2, Material Logic and Rhetoric in conjunction with Euclid's Elements for Geometry and they both teach proofs-one verbally, the other mathematically

Writing With Skill (for my child who isn't a natural born writer)

Federalist Papers in Modern English

Relying heavily on living books for History, Science and Civics

websites and books for read aloud ideas:

Thomas Jefferson Education

Honey for  Child's Heart

All Through The Ages

award winning children's book lists online

Everything we're using now is a winner!

Explode the Code and Happy Phonics (Phonics Pathways and OPGTR were boring!)

Handwriting Without Tears Cursive

Growing With Grammar and Winning With Writing (We've tried FLL, WWE, and Rod and Staff.)

Teaching Textbooks and Life of Fred from Fractions and up (A winner after Miquon and Math-U-See.)

Rod and Staff Spelling and Spelling City (All About Spelling was a huge bust here, but we do incorporate the phonogram cards into the Happy Phonics games.  My children have memorized all the 72 cards.)

Typing Instructor Platinum

Apologia elementary science

Oh, man, so many things! I blame this board. :)

Singapore Math

Mr. Q

HWOT

Bible books by Susan and Richie Hunt

SOTW

History Odyssey -- at least Level 1

GSWL -- if I got nothing else from this board, GSWL alone is worth the time I have spent here

Evan-Moore Word-a-Day

Latin's Not So Tough

Um, these are on audio?

My dh made an audio recording of both of them. The first one life science (also his first ever audio recording so not that great quality) we have permission to give away free. I'm on my iPad so I can't

Provide you with a link.

He also made an audio recording of the second book, but we can't give it away.

CLE Math grades 3-7 for my oldest, and CLE Algebra for my dd

Derek Owens Algebra I and Geometry for my oldest

Math Mammoth for my more mathy youngest (though we use it loosely, doing lots of problems on the whiteboard, and adding games and hands-on activities)

Apples and Pears Spelling for my oldest, who struggled terribly with spelling

Handwriting without Tears cursive

Joy Hakim's History of US

Genevieve Foster books (Augustus Caesar's world, etc.)

Audio books (usually from the library) listened to in the car

Pinterest for finding games, videos, other supplements to our reading

Yo Millard Fillmore for memorizing the presidents

Language Lessons through Literature--a new favorite!

Ellen McHenry

Lots of reading of real books. Seriously, whatever program we have used (and we've tried them all--TOG, Sonlight, MFW, WP, Biblioplan) it's the books that we remember. The years that we spent lots of time just reading good books have gone just as well as the years that we purchased a big, expensive program.

I've loved lots of things for a season, but then moved on. I loved Primary Arts of Language (PAL) by IEW, but then my youngest son made a huge leap in his reading, and we moved on. There have been several things like that with different children over the years; SWR and Phonics Pathways also come to mind. 

Webster's Speller!! The best find ever for my remedial students, I was finally able to get them from at grade level to above grade level. I used it with both my children, too, with good success.

Singapore Math

Latin Alive with DVDs

Older Dolciani PreAlgebra with set theory

RightStart math for sure- it taught me so much about teaching math. My kids are strong conceptually, and I credit RS. There are other math programs I like and use, some of my kids have needed to move on to other things, but RS will always be my favorite and first choice.

Project Passport

Sonlight- It has its flaws and it's unpopular right now, but I will always consider this a winner for us. It introduced me to the idea of reading aloud, even to older kids, when I was a new homeschooler, and we have so many positive memories. It turned my little kids into readers. I'll still use a lot of the books, even while using other things for history.

Explode the Code books to learn reading

R&S English

WWE, WWS, IEW SWI A and B small writing class

AAS

Spelling Power

Sadlier-Oxford Vocabulary Workshop

Getting Started with Latin

Lively Latin,

Getting Started with Spanish

Singapore Chinese

Singapore Math

Life of Fred

Scratch

Python Programming

Story of the World

Sonlight Read Alouds and Readers

Apologia Elementary Science series

This is my 13th year with 10 kids, three now in college, still schooling six along with a very late-life 2 year old making things interesting for mom.  Our consistent core has been Singapore math, Memoria Press Latin (Prima, LC, & Forms series), and Ambleside Online.  Can't imagine life without these things! 

Writing Road to Reading--This is my absolute favorite for teaching reading, writing, and spelling!

Rod & Staff English

Noeo Chemistry I-This was such a fun curriculum!

Step by Step Grammar I & II--This is a very straightforward, nonsense approach to grammar; excellent Segway into R&S English 6.

Apologia Flying Creatures

Outsourced classes:  Derek Owens Math & Physical Science, Potter's School French

Do you speak French? How much time and how many pages do you do a day with GP French?

I do but only at an intermediate level. I will outsource French once he gets to Advanced Beginner.

The book comes with a CD upon which I rely for pronunciation. We go through it very very slowly, do about 30 minutes a time. We also memorize and do copy work. I will be honest, it takes us forever (weeks?) to go through a lesson. But I think that is the way it's intended.