Menu

Which "classics" would you recommend for me to read?

Okay, I feel a little embarrassed even asking this here but...... I need recommendations for your favorite classic books to read. I know this is extremely subjective and personal but I need suggestions of where to begin. I love reading, it is probably my favorite pastime. However, I have read very few classics and "quality" literature. Unfortunately, growing up, I attended a school that never encouraged such things. In fact, during my entire highschool career, I was only required to read 3 whole books, everything else was just excerpts. I remember choosing a "classic" for one of those requirements and my teacher being somewhat shocked. So, as I am hoping to provide my children with a better education than I received, I also would like to educate myself. So please give me your recommendations as to your favorite classics and "must reads".

Thanks!

Have you read Susan's book The Well Educated Mind? It gives a lot of information about how to read classics as well as suggestions as to what to read.

There are plenty of great books lists out there. Here's one of them:

http://www.collegeboard.com/student/plan/boost-your-skills/23628.html

Of these? For a novice reader? I would start with:

Animal Farm

To Kill a Mockingbird

Pride and Prejudice

Things Fall Apart

Robinson Crusoe

Their Eyes Were Watching God

MacBeth

Walden

Slaughterhouse Five

The Color Purple

Leaves of Grass

and the collected tales of Edgar Allen Poe

This is a BIG question! I would read everything by Dickens, Austen, a handful of stuff by Shakespeare, Faulkner, Wharton, Twain, Whitman, Steinbeck (especially Cannery Row, but the classics are Of Mice and Men and Grapes of Wrath) Vanity Fair by Thackeray, everything by CS Lewis, the Grimm Fairy Tales, Lord of the Flies, The Scarlett Letter, Ivanhoe, I would also throw in some Kerouac, The Confederacy of the Dunces by John Kennedy Toole ( a classic to me) and maybe get some Norton anthologies. They are college texts that are really just collections of great works. Also read some stuff by the founding fathers. Sorry this is so disorganized, but it is just what I came up with off the top of my head. Good luck and happy reading.:) The list could go on and on and on...

Jane Austen. Bronte sisters. Dickens. Shakespeare. Lord of the Rings. Narnia Chronicles. Anne of Green Gables. Chaucer. CS Lewis. Homer.

For littles- Beatrix Potter, Winnie the Pooh, Wind in the Willows, Dr. Suess, Curious George. Billy and Blaze books.

Margeurite Henry's books about horses.

James Herriot's animal stories.

This is a BIG question! I would read everything by Dickens, Austen, a handful of stuff by Shakespeare, Faulkner, Wharton, Twain, Whitman, Steinbeck (especially Cannery Row, but the classics are Of Mice and Men and Grapes of Wrath) Vanity Fair by Thackeray, everything by CS Lewis, the Grimm Fairy Tales, Lord of the Flies, The Scarlett Letter, Ivanhoe, I would also throw in some Kerouac, The Confederacy of the Dunces by John Kennedy Toole ( a classic to me) and maybe get some Norton anthologies. They are college texts that are really just collections of great works. Also read some stuff by the founding fathers. Sorry this is so disorganized, but it is just what I came up with off the top of my head. Good luck and happy reading.:) The list could go on and on and on...

I'm going to have to disagree. I would never suggest anyone start with Steinbeck, Thackeray, Kerouac, Faulkner or Wharton for someone just getting into the classics, it could be discouraging. I would *absolutely* suggest these for someone who started on the classics a while ago and is ready for something more challenging. But...that's just me, everyone sees these things differently.

I just finished reading Pride and Prejudice this week. I don't know...I had a hard time getting into it.(maybe it is just my uneducated mind). It wasn't until maybe the last 10 chapters where I got to the point where I wanted to keep reading extra chapters. It kind of reminded me of a soap opera--where you can watch for months/years and two characters are STILL trying to get together. And also like a soap opera, it didn't seem like anyone had a job. Life was one big social affair.

Overall, it was a good book, and I'm glad I read it, if for no other reason than to say I've read it ;-)

The Great Gatsby, Huck Finn, Ethan Frome, Daisy Miller, The Sound and the Fury, The Awakening, House of Mirth, Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

Sula or Beloved by Toni Morrisson

Persuasion by Austen

Great Expectations by Dickens

Madame Bovary by Flaubert

One of the libraries in our area is hosting "Read the Classics - The Books I Always Meant to Read!" lectures and discussions. The following are the classics they have listed as part of this series:

Greece and Rome

The Iliad, Homer

The Odyssey, Homer

The Aeneid, Virgil

The Metamorphoses, Ovid

Middle Ages

Beowulf

History of the Kings of Britain

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight

Canterbury Tales, Chaucer

1600s & 1700s Novels

Don Quixote, Cervantes

Robinson Crusoe, Defoe

Gulliver's Travels, Swift

Candide, Voltaire

1800s Novels

Frankenstein, Shelley

Moby Dick, Melville

Madame Bovary, Flaubert

Great Expectations, Dickens

Russian Literature

Collected Tales, Gogol

Master and Margarita, Bulgakov

The Little Tragedies, Pushkin

Russian Poetry of the Silver Age

Philosophy

Plato's Republic

Hume

Kant

Descartes

HTH!

Krista

I love Jane Austen, I feel Dickens is essential, and a good bit of Shakespeare, the Bronte's, Mark Twain (especially his short stories--well, his novels too), Oscar Wilde, Animal Farm, etc.

But, take heart, many a wonderful teacher and mom has survived without the classics, or has read them along the way. There are so many "classics" that I think are greatly over rated (Moby Dick being #1, Voltaire close behind), and I was a lit major, and have 2 BA's, 2 MA's, and part of my phD, and a very classical education, and there are so many pieces of modern lit that I am sure will one day be considered classical literature (Their Eyes Were Watching God is one, and Alice Walker feels Zora Neale Hurston, the author of that book, "fed her" The Color Purple, which is sort of a modern version of it). Flannery O'Conner is amazing! And so much more. Don't be embarrassed by what you haven't read. Be proud that you want to read more now :).

Who are your favorites now, Country Girl? It's easier to give a recommendation if I know who and what you've already enjoyed.

My personal favorite classics:

Howards End.

Hamlet.

Middlemarch.

The Brothers Karamazov.

To the Lighthouse and Mrs. Dalloway.

As I Lay Dying.

Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass.

Sons and Lovers.

Persuasion and Emma.

I'm actually just starting this year with going through the lists in the Well Trained Mind. I did buy WEM, but like you I love to read but not a lot of classics or challenging lit in my repertoire. I'm starting with the Jr. High/middle school-aged suggested reading lists, as I think they're more where I'm at, mentally. Sad to say, but I'd rather read a book and enjoy it then have it completely over my head, at this point. The other advantage to this, in my case, is that by the time my kids get to jr. high and high school, I'll have read the books that I'm going to assign them, instead of trying to screen them then.

I just finished reading Pride and Prejudice this week. I don't know...I had a hard time getting into it.(maybe it is just my uneducated mind). It wasn't until maybe the last 10 chapters where I got to the point where I wanted to keep reading extra chapters. It kind of reminded me of a soap opera--where you can watch for months/years and two characters are STILL trying to get together. And also like a soap opera, it didn't seem like anyone had a job. Life was one big social affair.

Overall, it was a good book, and I'm glad I read it, if for no other reason than to say I've read it ;-)

:iagree: I did read Sense & Sensibility and enjoyed it more.

I also recommend "Huckleberry Finn" and "Robinson Crusoe"

I must say, no wait - confess, that I didn't enjoy Pride and Prejudice very much. But about two years later I was required to read some of Jane Austen's other novels and I prefer them!

If you don't like one work by one author, take a break and try some of their other offerings. I'm sure this is particularly true for folks like Dickens and Shakespeare.

The previous lists have been awfully complete so I won't try to add more books, just the advice above.

Run away from Moby Dick. :glare:

I agree with the suggestion to look at The Well-Educated Mind and go from there. I have to confess to not going through the three stages of reading properly, but at least I'm reading the books!

There's no shame in properly utilizing Cliff's Notes once you're an adult. I've looked at them for several books to clarify things.

Once I emerge from Moby Dick, I'm going back to the really early classics and starting The Iliad.

I came out of lurking and registered just to answer this!

I hadn't touched a classic since school due to the experience of being force-fed literature I wasn't ready to understand- and I've finally realized all of the great works I'm missing.

What made it easier (and much more rewarding) reading was to find a contemporary book to fill in necessary background and detail, or a contemporary book that would make an interesting compare/contrast.

Example: For background on Grapes of Wrath, I first read The Worst Hard Time. I don't think I would have come near to understanding the Joad's struggles without the knowledge from Hard Time. It put everything into perspective.

Another example: I read Fast Food Nation and then compared it to the conditions in The Jungle. It was interesting to see what had/hadn't changed in the production of food.

And I also give myself permission to say a book just isn't working for me. I slogged through 500 pages of Crime and Punishment before I set it down permanently. It just wasn't speaking to me, and I know there are plenty of books out there that will inspire.

Just a couple of tricks that have worked for me- good luck!

:iagree: I did read Sense & Sensibility and enjoyed it more.

See? Isn't that funny? P&P is my favorite novel EVER, and I love all of Austen's other novels, too--except S&S. So apparently she wrote a book for each and every one of us. :001_smile:

I *personally* totally agree with Mrs. Mungo not to kick off with Faulkner et al, and I would add to that list Hemingway. But that might just be me.

Definitely down with Austen and the Brontes. I'd read Tom Sawyer before getting into Huck Finn. Just IMHO. Another vote for E.M. Forster novels (love them all). I'm not a huge Dickens fan, but Great Expectations is a lot easier and faster moving than many of his works. I love Hardy; don't miss Jude the Obscure and The Mayor of Casterbridge. Anthony Trollope's novels are great (The Small House at Allington is my fave) if you really like to cuddle up to some well-developed characters with maybe not so much of the twist-of-fate stuff that goes on in Hardy.

Here's a grab-bag of novels, plays, and short stories: To Kill a Mockingbird, Animal Farm, The Grapes of Wrath, The Scarlet Letter, Brave New World, Fahrenheit 451, The Importance of Being Earnest, Desire Under the Elms, The Crucible, Death of a Salesman, Streetcar Named Desire, The Birthmark, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, Rip Van Winkle, The Lottery, An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge, The Ransom of Red Chief, The Gift of the Magi, The Necklace, The Catbird Seat, The Tell-Tale Heart, The Fall of the House of Usher, Rappaccini's Daughter....

That should get you started, anyway!

And I personally feel very, very strongly that Conan Doyle and Wodehouse are modern classics! :001_smile: Every Holmes story and novel is awesome; don't miss Holmes! And the Jeeves and Wooster stories and novels are just about the funniest stuff ever written. You can treat yourself to Wodehouse in between chapters of Kerouac.... :001_huh:

I've been reading those classics that I think I will want my dd's to read in the future. So far this year I have read and enjoyed:

To Kill a Mockingbird - I loved it

Watership Down - really liked this too

Animal Farm - enjoyed

Lord of the Rings trilogy - Great!

Grapes of Wrath and East of Eden - I loved both of these

Of Mice and Men and the Red Pony - I didn't care for these nearly as much.

The Giver - enjoyed

Next on my list are The Prince and the Pauper and 1984.

I would just pick one that you think you would enjoy and get started. I never dreamed that I would like Steinbeck as much as I do.

Have fun,

Karen

Thank you, thank you, thank you! You have all given me some great ideas. To those who have asked what type of books I like in general... one of my all time favorite books is The Count of Monte Cristo. I absolutely loved this book. My favorite type of books are usually mysteries, suspense, conspiracy type books. I have read a few of the ones mentioned (Jane Eyre, Of Mice and Men, and a few more) but most of them are new to me and give me a great idea of books to look at to get started.

It is also reassuring to see that it is okay not to like a classic. I have started A Tale of Two Cities two different times and can not get into it. I feel like I now have permission to give up on it and move onto something else.

Thanks to you all and I'd still love to hear any other suggestions you may have for me.

Oh, I also wanted to thank you who mentioned The Well Educated Mind. I haven't read it but it sounds like it would be a good starting place.

I am reading my kids' books for next year and getting to read lots of great books! I am reading Joan of Ark by Mark Twain at the moment, as well as Sophie's World, and the Sword and the Stone.

Another place to look for classics and good books is the Ambleside highschool list, HEO (which is on the Ambleside site). They use a lot of Classics.

Boy, I had the same situation in high school. What, actually finish a book?! Why? ... :glare:

I've since reconditioned myself. :D

I would suggest finding an author whose writing you thoroughly enjoy, and then reading everything they have to offer. Consider reading up on the biography and history of the author - I find this knowledge makes thier books more interesting for me.

Two of my all time favs are John Steinbeck and Charles Dickens. Grapes of Wrath - its just too good to put down. Go from that to Of Mice and Men, The Cannery, and all the others. I've not read a Steinbeck I didn't love. And, my favorite author of all time - Dickens. David Copperfield is my absolute favorite, but anything Dickens I find inspring and always something to get lost in.

Have fun!

Some books are classics, not for the whole book, but for the story and certain passages--you said you don't like A Tale of Two Cities--although it is too long (Dickens was paid by the word), it is so famous (and rightfully so) for the beginning passages, and the end--"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, etc.", and the end, which I can't remember well enough now, but something like, "It is a far, far better thing that I do now, than I have ever done...". So beautiful! And the story itself is outstanding! Although I often have wondered how many people have read the whole text, because many people I've spoken with seem to know the "movie content" more than the whole story (kwim?).

If you liked The Count of Monte Cristo, the author also wrote The Three Musketeers, 20 Years After, Le Vicomte de Bragelonne--I don't know what this is in English, although I know that one part of it is The Man in the Iron Mask. These are all quite good, and in a similar style of the Count of Monte Cristo, although I didn't like them as much. He's written several others, but the only other ones I've read were in French, La Tulipe Noire (The Black Tulip), and Queen Margot, which was so violent, I really couldn't stand it.

I adore Jane Austen, although the style is nothing like this. If you really like mysteries, I cannot highly enough recommend Sherlock Holmes. I started reading them for a book club I was running a while ago, and I was shocked--by the height of the vocabulary, the language, the substance, by the depth of character, how wonderful the personification was, by everything. I had always thought they would be little detective stories; I had no idea of how outstanding they really were.

Edgar Allan Poe is another that I can't praise highly enough; his short stories and his poetry.

I love Arthur Miller; although most of his works are not to cheery (although I think "Creation of the World and Other Such Nonsense" is rather funny), they are deep and moving; pieces you will not soon forget.

I am also a huge fan of the short story, and some I forgot to mention earlier are Gabriel Garcia Marquez, who is modern, but is amazing in short stories and novels; I think I said Flannery O'Conner; Alice Walker's short stories are great; oh, so many! A great compilation to buy is a Norton's Anthology--they have them for short stories and for poetry. I had them for a few college classes, and they have such a ton of material! If you can find them in a used bookstore, they are well worth it!

There are so many "classics" to choose from, there is no need to read anything you won't like; you can keep moving on until you find something else that really touches you, and there will be many.

Guest Virginia Dawn
Thank you, thank you, thank you! You have all given me some great ideas. To those who have asked what type of books I like in general... one of my all time favorite books is The Count of Monte Cristo. I absolutely loved this book. My favorite type of books are usually mysteries, suspense, conspiracy type books. I have read a few of the ones mentioned (Jane Eyre, Of Mice and Men, and a few more) but most of them are new to me and give me a great idea of books to look at to get started.

It is also reassuring to see that it is okay not to like a classic. I have started A Tale of Two Cities two different times and can not get into it. I feel like I now have permission to give up on it and move onto something else.

Thanks to you all and I'd still love to hear any other suggestions you may have for me.

Oh, I also wanted to thank you who mentioned The Well Educated Mind. I haven't read it but it sounds like it would be a good starting place.

You sound like you enjoy some of the same kinds of books I do, you might like The Scarlett Pimpernel, Lost Horizon, Anna and the King of Siam, Kim.

What about books by Daphne DuMaurier: Jamaica Inn, Rebecca, Rule Brittania

(OK maybe not "classic" yet), Then There are Frankenstien's Monster, The Picture of Dorian Grey, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and Dracula.

I absolutely adore Twain, especially The Prince and the Pauper, Puddin' Head Wilson, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.

I LOVE To Kill a Mockingbird. That would be a great one to start with. I agree that Steinbeck is a tough read but Grapes of Wrath is a wonderful book and much easier to get through than some of his others.

Others I find myself reading over and over (most of which I fell in love with in high school English):

Animal Farm

The Catcher in the Rye

Brave New World

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter

A Separate Peace

I also recently read The Bell Jar and already want to read it again.

And finally, I highly recommend The Lord of the Rings by Tolkien but it is long and wordy in many places. Maybe save his stuff for later, but make sure you get to it at some point. It's not to be missed. =) Maybe read The Hobbit first.

Have fun!! You've received tons of great recommendations.

that as well as being a question of which classics to read, it's a question of how to get started reading them. It might be inspirational to watch the movie or a Masterpiece Theater version of a "classic" book first. I don't care for EM Forster that much, but I did enjoy the films of his books and that led me to appreciate the books more than I might otherwise have done. Another approach might be to listen to an audiobook before, during or after reading a "classic." (I'm a bit sceptical of the definition of "classic" -- I think there are many wonderful books and authors out there who are/have been neglected, which are equally deserving of the title classic as P&P or Austen.)

You can also try out LibraryThing -- you can use this find recommendations based on books you have read and like. As long as you know one book you like, you can use it to link into a chain of other books you'll like. Amazon also offers recommendations like this. There's a couple of other sites out there that offer a similar function, but I can't remember which.

I would also highly recommend looking at http://www.persephonebooks.co.uk/

They republish books from 20th century authors, many of them women. These are not classics in the sense that everyone will know the names of the authors or books, but they are in the sense that the selection is excellent and the books wonderful. Maybe it's just that I have a degree in early 20th century British literature (so that my rec with a grain of salt) but I have loved every single book I've read that they have published. Plus, their catalog is fun reading (sort of like The Common Reader used to be). I particularly appreciate the books written from/for the perspective of women who have been home with kids and start to wonder what their lives are really all about. I find that I keep returning to some of these books in my mind and enjoying them long after I've finished reading them.

To make this post even longer, I'll give you my favorites. I have a general rule that I don't read books unless the author is female, British and dead, but I make exceptions. For contemporary work I like Ian McEwan (grim though), Pat Barker (grim but great), Roddy Doyle (cannot say enough good about his work), Alexander McCall Smith (light and fun and good). For older work I like Austen (love love love), George Eliot and any of the Brontes.

I've really enjoyed most of the classics I've read. But I just. can't. read. Dickens. No idea why, just can't get into them and life is too short to try again.

Yep. Some things are much more enjoyable on screen, and Dickens is one such example. I also found I enjoyed Jane Austen's novels a lot more after seeing them on video. I guess I didn't have enough familiarity with the time period to be able to imagine it properly.

If you like dark and sinister, 'The Phantom of the Opera.' I also love 'Les Miserables,' but it's much better on the second reading.

:)

Rosie

Definitely down with Austen and the Brontes. I'd read Tom Sawyer before getting into Huck Finn. Just IMHO. Another vote for E.M. Forster novels (love them all). I'm not a huge Dickens fan, but Great Expectations is a lot easier and faster moving than many of his works. I love Hardy; don't miss Jude the Obscure and The Mayor of Casterbridge. Anthony Trollope's novels are great (The Small House at Allington is my fave) if you really like to cuddle up to some well-developed characters with maybe not so much of the twist-of-fate stuff that goes on in Hardy.

That should get you started, anyway!

And I personally feel very, very strongly that Conan Doyle and Wodehouse are modern classics! :001_smile: Every Holmes story and novel is awesome; don't miss Holmes! And the Jeeves and Wooster stories and novels are just about the funniest stuff ever written. You can treat yourself to Wodehouse in between chapters of Kerouac.... :001_huh:

I love Trollope and I think he seems to be way underrated and underrecommended. Hardy - hated Tess, loved Mayor. Yes, read Wodehouses definitely, especially as palate cleansers after some of the less savory modern classics. Also, for fun modern classics, or at least I think they will be recognized as such one day, you can't beat Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin Napoleonic naval stories.

Consider throwing in some shorter works as well. For example, I find it's handy to have a volume of the Tales of Hoffmann available at all times (there's no one best collection... we have Dover and Oxford World Classics). Lighter comic relief is good too: Jeeves and Wooster are never so pleasurable as between "important" works of fiction.

You all have give me some really great suggestions. I also love reading about which books are favorites, it is just so interesting to see who likes which books. There are definitely a few that seem to be making several lists so I will probably start with one of them. I am so excited to get started, now I just need to find time to get to the library.

Thanks!

Edited to add: As I got to thinking more about this thread I realized I also had to thank you all for the wonderful encouragement you have given me to get started reading more classics. It is great to have a group of people who are so willing to help in any way they can and build each other up rather than tearing down. You are all great, thanks!