Menu

just for fun thread - is your local library becoming a tutoring center?

Arcadia

My kids are having winter break and since hubby work very near a library, we have been spending days there from morning to evening. The library opens at 10am and close at 9pm most nights.  We see plenty of private tutors giving after school tuition in English, other languages and math to students from 1st grade to high school.  It is like if I were to need a tutor, I would have plenty to pick from in the library. A few private chess instructors there too giving elementary school kids chess lessons one to one.  It is not just this library though,  a few libraries that we frequent also have plenty of tutors giving tuition there even on weekends.

We usually visit the libraries in the evenings or weekends so the trend might have been there for years of tutors in the library every day of the week. This is at the children's section of the library. There had always been tutors in the teens section.

ETA:

Our libraries notice boards area (usually the ones near the restrooms) allows posting of ads by tutors.

I have seen that at our local public library as well.  I think it is great as it is a nice neutral place to meet, quiet and private but not too private (esp. with opposite gender tutors), etc.  Plus lots of great resources right there.

I see a fair amount, too. Mostly, it seems to work out very well. Occasionally, though, I'll encounter a tutor who acts quite put out that other people want to use the section of the library she's claimed. The other day a woman was tutoring three young kids in the teen section, and every time another patron went to look at the books, she'd roll her eyes and appear altogether miffed that her tutoring session was being interrupted. 

I don't think I've ever seen anyone tutoring in the public library.  I live in a University community though, so maybe tutoring is more likely to happen on the campus.  I do know that our libraries forbid paid tutors from using the conference rooms at the library and our library is very busy.  It would be hard for a tutor to find an out of the way place to work.

In the last library I worked at, tutors were almost becoming a problem.  These tutors were recommendations by the local school district and used the library to meet with students after school.  The problem became that they were utlizing almost all the available table space so non-tutored students didn't have places to do their work.

I have not heard of public libraries offering tutor services outside of homework help or literacy programs.  The libraries by me discourage tutors from advertising their services inside the library.

We have volunteer homework helpers. They take over one of the larger meeting rooms in the library so the noise is contained.

Our library is lucky enough to have an attached cafe. That's where most of the other tutoring happens and the noise level is not unusual for a cafe. It's still quiet where you want it to be. We also have a quiet room (no typing, phones off, etc) where people can go if they like it really quiet.

In the last library I worked at, tutors were almost becoming a problem.  These tutors were recommendations by the local school district and used the library to meet with students after school.  The problem became that they were utlizing almost all the available table space so non-tutored students didn't have places to do their work.

This is exactly what the library I worked at was like. 

Other than that, it was primarily a dating spot--for online dating. I always said we should open up a bar to make a lot of money.

I've never seen that in our library, but then again, our library is very small.  I like the idea...  I keep getting afraid that libraries will become extinct, so if they can think of other creative uses for them to keep them active and busy, I'm all for it.

I occasionally met an adult literacy student in the library years ago but I don't think I've seem anyone lately. Our main problem is there is Fred WiFi and the library is full of overseas tourists recharging there laptops and skyping their families. One library I used to go to even the little tables in the kids area were being used that way. That library has since banished personal devices to tables in the foyer.

My son gets tutoring in Algebra and we meet at the local library for that, but it isn't associated with the library.

However, they do have flyers in the library that say that there is tutoring on Saturdays for kids in grades K-6 for free from high school volunteers.  You do need to sign up for it.

If an SAT student lives farther away than I care to drive, I'll see him/her at our large county library only because it has glassed-in study rooms.  I've only had to work in open library areas maybe twice, and I hate it.  I'm not teaching this stuff at a whisper.  I see an occasional academic tutor now and then, but around here, parents either pay to have you come to the house, or flush their money down the giant, sucking holes like Huntington.

Yes, there are many people tutoring at all times of the day. Some are homeschooling and later after school the paid private tutors arrive. It's noisy. People no longer sit with a book or a newspaper.

There are also other people who are using the tables in the adult section for their business meetings.

We also have the problem of the school track being open to the public after 5 p.m. on school days, but private businesses running classes during those times. They block all the running lanes while stretching or doing yoga or whatever, or they run around without respecting the other people on the track....think 50 people passing you and half of them cutting in front of you, or a group that you can't pass because they fill the width of the track and won't leave a lane open for passing. (No they haven't rented the track.  Yes, they are supposed to rent if they want to run a private class - they just can't show up and take over the track, a pool, or a gym.)

Our library has people being tutored on occasion. 

Since you brought up the track. We have an indoor running track near our house. In you go during the free times. (And not a lot of free of charge times during the winter) you have to follow the rules. If the rules aren't being followed then you can complain. If you complain a week later they will have a track offical sitting by enforcing the rules. 

Our library has high school students come in and tutor younger kids.  I have also seen private tutoring sessions there.  It is a nice neutral location.  However, there have been some days when the majority of the space has been taken up by tutors and I feel like I am interrupting them when I walk over there.

Our library made a rule that paid tutoring is not allowed there.

Ours has the same rule. 

So now you can't find anywhere to sit in the three  :glare:  coffee shops we have in this county.  Good thing I don't like coffee...

Georgia

Our library has a ton of tutors there as well.  I have mixed feelings about this.  I like that it is a neutral location.  I like that this is a safe place available for kids to get tutoring.  However, I don't like the fact that they use up most of the tables and the fact that this is one form of commerce that is allowed in the library but others are not.  Years ago, our homeschool group was not allowed to use the library unless we paid $40 each week to use the community room (the newer branch charged $75.)  Yet, 10 feet away, tutors were charging $20-$40 per hour to tutor kids and they didn't have to pay a dime for the privilege. 

On a total tangent, the lack of meeting space that allowed children led to the demise of in-person homeschool groups for networking purposes that were not co-ops that could demand big $$ to so that they could use the space.  It has made it much more difficult for homeschoolers to find friends unless they were will or allowed to attend a co-op (which are very much like school with most of the problems of school and many have a statement of faith that would be unwelcoming to a whole slew of homeschoolers.)