Menu

If you are a guest at a winter wedding..

Liz CA

indoor, probably somewhat casual, what would you wear???

We are in CA, and average daytime temps are around 55-63 or somewhere near that.

I own one long skirt - black. It's old but still fits - I think :scared:. I am obviously fashion challenged as I live life in workout pants or Jeans in the winter and shorts or flowing skirts in the summer.

My favorite pair of shoes are my Birkenstock sandals. I figure I won't be wearing those.

I have rather long legs (unusually so because I have hard time finding slacks and pants that fit the top and reach the bottom.) I think I look best in "classic" style clothing. Hair is a mix of gray and sandy blonde. What else do you need to know? :laugh:

I need a whole, top to bottom, every detail covered roadmap. Links & pics welcome.

If I cannot pull it together from existing wardrobe, can I stay at $75 max???

indoor, probably somewhat casual, what would you wear???

We are in CA, and average daytime temps are around 55-63 or somewhere near that.

I own one long skirt - black. It;s old but still fits - I think :scared:. I am obviously fashion challenges as I live life in workout pants or Jeans in the winter and shorts or flowing skirts in the summer.

My favorite pair of shoes are my Birkenstock sandals. I figure I won't be wearing those.

I have rather long legs (unusually so because I have hard time finding slacks and pants that fit the top and reach the bottom. I think I look best in "classic" style clothing. Hair is a mix of gray and sandy blonde. What else do you need to know? :laugh:

I need a whole, top to bottom, every detail covered roadmap. Links & pics welcome.

If I cannot pull it together from existing wardrobe, can I stay at $75 max???

You could wear pants--not jeans--and a nice sweater in your favorite color. Pants could be navy or black. With some pants, you could wear ballet flats. And you should wear something on your legs--knee-hi's, or some cute trouser socks/hose (they are labeled just like that in the stores. "Hue" makes a wide variety of hosiery and is widely available. Choose a color that coordinates with you pants, maybe with a little pattern. Very dashing.). With some earrings and a necklace, you 'd be ready to go. :-)

I just went to a winter wedding yesterday. I wore a classic navy sheeth dress from Talbots, and navy ballerina flats. My dress was about knee length. I did not wear hose, because I live in GA and no one here wears hose. However, the wedding was in VA, and lots of people were wearing tights or hose. However, not everyone was, so I certainly wasn't out of place.

I was just a guest at a winter wedding. I was in it, since the bride was my sister, so my outfit is irrelevant, but lots of women were in pants, like dress slacks and blouses or nice sweaters. Mostly darker colors, but not exclusively. My brothers' wives wore dresses, but they needed to be in a lot of pictures; I think they could have easily been perfectly fine in the tunic you linked plus dress pants and flats, had they been friends or more distant relatives, because that looks a lot like what a lot of the women were wearing(especially those over 30; my sister's younger and single friends seemed to be wearing little dresses)..

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/footprints-by-birkenstock-wiesbaden-mary-jane-shoes-leather-for-women~p~6460w/?filterString=s~birkenstock-women%2F&colorFamily=01

These shoes okay? Slacks will be black. They are Birkenstocks  :hurray:. I am obviously going a tad over my $75. Sierra Trading has a 20% off coupon and they are available in my size.

When I opened this thread I expected a question about how to deal with snow boots and whether or not it was okay to wear a parka!

If it was summer time, I'd be just wearing a nice dress...:) But I am not exactly a fashionista in any season.

If it was summer time, I'd be just wearing a nice dress... :) But I am not exactly a fashionista in any season.

If you already have a nice dress that you would wear to a summer wedding, could you add a jacket or dressy cardigan to it to make it a bit warmer and wear that? At those temps, I would think that would be sufficient, particularly if it's indoors and casual.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/footprints-by-birkenstock-wiesbaden-mary-jane-shoes-leather-for-women~p~6460w/?filterString=s~birkenstock-women%2F&colorFamily=01

These shoes okay? Slacks will be black. They are Birkenstocks  :hurray:. I am obviously going a tad over my $75. Sierra Trading has a 20% off coupon and they are available in my size.

Yes, they would be fine. :-)

You should wear some sort of hosiery with them, of course. :-)

Is the reception at night? 

I tend to err on the side of boring. Pretty black dress, sheer black hose,  with a closed toe shoe. Pretty black patent leather heals, or patent leather ballet flats. Dress it all up with pretty jewelery. Add (more) color to match your jewelery with a nice pashmina/cotton silk scarf.

If I recall correctly, the reception is between 4 p.m. and 7p.m. I am thinking of looking for a colorful sweater for the black slacks I am wearing. I am one of those who would rather be boring than talked about for months to come...:)

I just went to a winter wedding yesterday. I wore a classic navy sheeth dress from Talbots, and navy ballerina flats. My dress was about knee length. I did not wear hose, because I live in GA and no one here wears hose. However, the wedding was in VA, and lots of people were wearing tights or hose. However, not everyone was, so I certainly wasn't out of place.

I would wear something like this to a casual, winter wedding. I'd wear hose or tights but that's more because my legs are pasty white. I would never wear pants to a wedding & have rarely seen a female do so.

Most weddings I've been to were in Texas. Jeans are semi-formal there. So my perceptions are skewed.

I like Texans. :thumbup: I hope I am not the only woman in slacks. I could email our other friend, who is nearly always clad in pants or Jeans, if she is wearing a dress. If she is, then I may have to rethink my whole plan.

Well shoot me for saying so (but I guarantee you that I am not the only person thinking it), but those are ugly shoes.  No way would I wear them to a wedding, especially with patterned SOCKS.

I would jazz up the black skirt you have with a flowy top (not a cardigan, please), nice costume jewelry and some heels.  Low heels, kitten heels, wedge heels, but heels.  And I would go bare-legged or wear tights if it is cold enough and your shoe is substantial enough (a nice wedge maybe).  NO ONE in Atlanta wears hose except, possibly, to the most formal of events, and a 4-7 wedding would not quality; it's tights if you can get away with it for warmth, or nothing.  If you don't like your legs, you wear a longer skirt.

What length black skirt are we talking about? 

I really like the shoes.  Had they been available in my size, I would have put them in my cart. 

Would you wear them to a wedding?

There is a place for not-attractive shoes in this world.  But for a wedding, I think Liz can do better.  And I apologize for calling the shoes ugly.  I am sure they are beautiful on the inside. 

And I apologize for calling the shoes ugly.  I am sure they are beautiful on the inside. 

:smilielol5:

See, I'm trying to take the higher road. :laugh: I'd love to tell Liz that she needs to get a lovely dress, and wear some classy-looking heels *with hose*, but whenever I've encouraged people to remember that a wedding is a formal event and that we should not wear denim and or flip-flops, I become a moving target. So I'm remember that she is in California, and that she doesn't own a fancy dress and that she's a Birkenstock girl, and encouraging her to spice up her normal wardrobe. See?

And FTR, I didn't tell her to wear "patterned" *socks.* I encouraged her to wear a nice trouser sock with her trousers, so that there's just a little bling even on her feet (especially as opposed to wearing no hosiery at all, such that her white feet and legs are flashing between her black shoes and pants leg).

Our wardrobe choices sound similar.  Right down to the shoes.  :)  I'm not a fashionista either.  Most of the time I dress like I did in my undergrad days at a hippy skippy school, much to my parents' dismay.  Really, one of those makeover shows would have a field day with me.  The 40-something college student.

Can you take a look at your long flowy dresses and see if any might work for the weather?  Maybe add in a nice flowy cardigan?

Or come up with a flowy new top to go with your black skirt?  Actually, that's probably what I would do.  I have several black, long skirts and a few nice flowy v-neck velvet tops.  They always seem to work.  If you need to shop, hmmm... I always seem to check April Cornell but a lot of her clothes are too stuffy for me - but sometimes I find something I love.  Maybe you could find a top somewhere to go with the skirt?  

For the shoes... I understand the dilemma.  Is there anything in your closet that might work?  If not, how about a great shoe store nearby?  I'm thinking this would be a great time to find a really nice pair of boots to pull out for these occasions.  Tall ones to wear with the skirt.  Heels are up to you.  Tights if it's cold, but if you get tall boots and wear a long skirt, you could get by without.

Okay... Now I'm sure my suggestions won't agree with the previous posters' at all, so I didn't read them all.  I got stuck on the idea of wearing anything labelled trouser socks.  (Sorry, PP!  I'm sure they are lovely, and kudos to you for not dressing like a college kid!) 

Can you winterize any of he clothes you already have. I think it's perfectly acceptable to put tights and a fitted long-sleeve shirt under a sheath dress . . .just be sure to add some jewelry. Ar any of your flowy skirts nice enough that you can dress them up with leggings, boots, and a long-sleeved blouse? If course, with the temps you ar describing, you could just wear your normal summer clothes and just take off your coat when you get indoors. It's California. I'll get the crank up the heat and anyone dressed for the cooler weather outside will sweat to death.

If you want to buy something nice in case this ever comes up again in your life . . . I'd go to the Nordstrom Rack if you have one. You can get some great dresses there for about $40.

Well as long as we can encourage her to take the high road in something other than Birkenstocks!

I wear Birkenstocks all the time.  If I don't, my arches hurt.  I did buy some really great shoes when my son's got married for pictures and for walking down the aisle.    They were clear and black and sparkly, and my feet hurt the whole time.   My birks were  on my feet at the reception. 

If OP is wearing slacks, shoes don't matter as much.  I am with Ellie on the hose.   Seriously, if you have slacks on, who knows if they are hose or tights.  It;s a wierd custom that women should show up in bare legs and freeze while their husband is sitting comfy in his jacket, slacks, shoes and socks!

Ah, you were in VA. How wonderful for you. ;)

Sorry our paths didn't cross. I was at a funeral, which strangely looked like a wedding in many aspects. 

http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-lofty-cotton-blend-shaker-ballet-tunic/id_258769?sku_0=::45E

Would this work with black slacks? I could also choose the "Persian Rose" color.

I think the sweater would be fine with black slacks.

What about something more like this for the shoes? I have these same shoes in the teal color and they look great and are really comfortable. I don't think the other shoes you linked would really go with a wedding outfit. And, I disagree on hoisiery. I think only old people wear hose, knee hi-s, or trouser socks.  :tongue_smilie:

If you went with the shoes I linked, you could wear a simple long gold necklace and something at the wrist.

I would wear something like this to a casual, winter wedding. I'd wear hose or tights but that's more because my legs are pasty white. I would never wear pants to a wedding & have rarely seen a female do so.

I agree. I cannot imagine wearing pants to a wedding, even a casual one. Casual wedding = casual dress. Regular wedding = dressy dress. 

Well shoot me for saying so (but I guarantee you that I am not the only person thinking it), but those are ugly shoes.  No way would I wear them to a wedding, especially with patterned SOCKS.

I would jazz up the black skirt you have with a flowy top (not a cardigan, please), nice costume jewelry and some heels.  Low heels, kitten heels, wedge heels, but heels.  And I would go bare-legged or wear tights if it is cold enough and your shoe is substantial enough (a nice wedge maybe).  NO ONE in Atlanta wears hose except, possibly, to the most formal of events, and a 4-7 wedding would not quality; it's tights if you can get away with it for warmth, or nothing.  If you don't like your legs, you wear a longer skirt.

What length black skirt are we talking about? 

See, this is an ongoing problem here. Due to a little back issue, I walk best in Birkenstocks. I searched forever to even find those since I didn't want to go in clogs or even uglier ones and cannot go in sandals. Heels kill me after five minutes, regular flats don't give me much support, and I think it is a buffett-type, mingle-around reception where I will be standing a lot and walking.

Maybe a dress like this? Or this?

Those dresses are exactly what I would be looking for in style if I were buying one. But now that I bought the (ugly) shoes, I think I have to go with the slacks and a nice top.

For those who have asked the length of my skirt - it goes down to the ankles. I still had it from my theater-going days.It would probably be long enough to partially cover the shoes....

If your black skirt fits, I'd just buy a pretty blouse to go with it. Something a little shiny or sparkly would be super. Black flats or closed to black heels would also work great. Since you rarely need this outfit, I'd go with a pretty blouse and nice but not flashy black shoes. This allows you to reuse the shoes and skirt combination for funerals (sad, but common last-minute need, so I like to have funeral wear at the ready). For a funeral, you can just use a white or cream conservative (not flashy) but dressy sweater or blouse that you probably already have (or can pretty easily purchase quickly at any department store).

FWIW, I think the LE sweater you linked above is a little too casual. The wide ribs make it more casual than a dressier super-fine ribbed sweater. It would do in a pinch, but I wouldn't choose it if I had alternatives.

Here is a really pretty black blouse that could work for both the wedding or a funeral. :) http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-bracelet-sleeve-scoopneck-flocked-blouse/id_260897

This navy one would look great with a black skirt or pants, too, and could also be used for a funeral. http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-front-tuck-jewelneck-blouse/id_260898

A simple black flat like this http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-vivian-venetian-flat-shoes/id_245150?sku_0=::CHO would work well, but I prefer shiny leather to suede for durability.

For a wedding, add any sparkly jewelry that you have to the black blouse (the blue one has sparkle already). 

I like blouses that look nice NOT tucked in, FWIW. If you tuck it in, you need a sash or belt to tie it together, and that just doesn't look good on my apple/ruler shaped body. If you have a nice pretty waist, then that is a fine option, but adds the complication of finding a nice belt or sash!

So, I'd spend your $ on a nice blouse and good black dress shoes, and black tights or stockings in any pattern if you prefer, or simple sheer or opaque ones if you want to go simpler. Just avoid fishnet since it can look trashy. :) Here are some nice basic ones on LE. http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-opaque-control-top-tights/id_241992

If your black skirt no longer fits or is in bad shape, then buy a new long black skirt that you love. This one looks nice to me, if they have your size. http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-matte-jersey-pull-on-skirt/id_257615 I avoid velvet since it is ONLY good for winter.

Good luck!

If you've bought the shoes and like the shoes, then you're wearing the shoes. Grab trouser socks if you don't go bare-legged. (Assuming you're wearing dress slacks that fall *on* the shoe...) If I saw someone wearing shoes like that, I would assume an orthopedic/podiatry issue and not think anything else about it. They're ok with slacks. They'd be odd with a dress.

The sweater seems too casual. Like it's an errand-running, wherever sweater. 

What about something like these:

http://www.coldwatercreek.com/product-detail/67434/74457/midnight-chiffon-blouse.aspx?colorid=030&refLink=shirts-and-blouses.aspx

http://www.coldwatercreek.com/product-detail/67499/74522/lace-chiffon-blouse.aspx?refLink=shirts-and-blouses.aspx

With a nice necklace...

Macy's, Nordstrom, etc. should be clearing out dressy tops and sweaters in stores. Pickings online seem slim because they're changing over seasons now. 

I'm just amazed that 55* could qualify as winter anywhere.  I opened this thread expecting a discussion of how to walk on ice in heels or whether it is okay to leave boots at the coat check in the reception hall when switching shoes on especially stormy evenings. 

I would never attend a wedding in pants, nor would I wear a skirt and cardigan - personal preference.  I'm not a fan of patterned socks (even if they are thin and you re-name them trouser socks), but patterned tights (never nylons) are okay in certain combinations.

Personally, I'd wear a nice wrap top dress with tights and heels, and bring a sweater to throw on over it, or maybe just a long sleeve black sheeth.  

Enjoy the wedding!

And, I disagree on hoisiery. I think only old people wear hose, knee hi-s, or trouser socks.  :tongue_smilie:

To wear closed-in shoes with nothing between skin and leather is just...nasty. :ack2:  Even that little bit of material (some sort of hosiery--sock, knee-hi, trouser sock, whatever) helps wick moisture away from the skin, and keeps the leather from sticking/rubbing. And it will always be more tasteful to add a little bit of something on the legs/feet (depending on how much shows, lol) when one is dressed for something like a wedding. 

Here is a really pretty black blouse that could work for both the wedding or a funeral. :) http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-bracelet-sleeve-scoopneck-flocked-blouse/id_260897

This navy one would look great with a black skirt or pants, too, and could also be used for a funeral. http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-front-tuck-jewelneck-blouse/id_260898

A simple black flat like this http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-vivian-venetian-flat-shoes/id_245150?sku_0=::CHO would work well, but I prefer shiny leather to suede for durability.

So, I'd spend your $ on a nice blouse and good black dress shoes, and black tights or stockings in any pattern if you prefer, or simple sheer or opaque ones if you want to go simpler. Just avoid fishnet since it can look trashy. :) Here are some nice basic ones on LE. http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-opaque-control-top-tights/id_241992

If your black skirt no longer fits or is in bad shape, then buy a new long black skirt that you love. This one looks nice to me, if they have your size. http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-matte-jersey-pull-on-skirt/id_257615 I avoid velvet since it is ONLY good for winter.

Good luck!

Oh, I do like the tops you linked, especially the black blouse. Thinking, thinking...how can people get married the month after Christmas??? I will have to tweak my budget just a little...

The dresses from Macys are more mother of the bride. I think a dressy blouse and jewelry will be fine. We went to a wedding here in so cal in November and most women were in knee length or shorter dresses but there were some women in dress slacks with fancy shirts. They looked great.

I wear the same thing to all weddings I've been to (aside from the times I've been in the bridal party) whether it is 'casual' or not, winter or summer. black dress, either sheer hose (summer/spring) or black tights(fall/winter), black heels. some jewelry. but I'm in Long Island, NY and people I know fall into one of three categories: those who wear black, those who can rock the trends, those who attempt to rock the trends and fail.

To wear closed-in shoes with nothing between skin and leather is just...nasty. :ack2:  Even that little bit of material (some sort of hosiery--sock, knee-hi, trouser sock, whatever) helps wick moisture away from the skin, and keeps the leather from sticking/rubbing. And it will always be more tasteful to add a little bit of something on the legs/feet (depending on how much shows, lol) when one is dressed for something like a wedding. 

Sorry, I think it dates one to wear some type of hosiery. I wear closed toe shoes with nothing on my skin all the time. In fact, I have on the emerald colored shoes of the version I linked above on right now with no knee high, trouser sock, etc. I think that would look pretty lame with my jeans and sweater unless I had on "mom jeans" and a cat sweatshirt or something. :lol:

Sorry, I think it dates one to wear some type of hosiery. I wear closed toe shoes with nothing on my skin all the time. In fact, I have on the emerald colored shoes of the version I linked above on right now with no knee high, trouser sock, etc. I think that would look pretty lame with my jeans and sweater unless I had on "mom jeans" and a cat sweatshirt or something. :lol:

BTW, I read fashion blogs all the time:

Merrick's Art

Putting Me Together

Outfit Posts

And a few others. None of them wear any type of hose with their shoes.