Menu

What are your kids listening to?

Well, I like Johhny Cash, Willie Nelson, Elvis, Lynard Skynard, Led Zeppelin, and whatever the country station and the old rock station play....so she listens to that. (On her own I am afraid she likes that hideous other crap that passes for music - hip hop and stuff like that.....but I control the radio!) Sometimes I control the radio but share and we listen to a LITTLE bit of her choice. But I have to say - she sings along word for word with alot of Elvis and Cash!

We never really listened to all that kid music. It drives me nuts!

All our radios are set to the christain station so mostly they listen to that. WHen they chose CD's right right their favorites are Beethoven, bible songs cd'(these are specifically kids songs), or othe children's music cd's we have. IF I allowed it my 9 yr old dd would listen to the high school musical soundtrack or hannah montana all day long, but I don't buy those kinds of cds. I rarely buy cd's at all. They also like country, classical rock and 80's music but those are only on if I am using my computer music player with the tunes I have downloaded.

Skillet

Switchfoot

Kutless

Toby Mac

Third Day

David Crowder

Air1.com (alternative christian radio station we get online as they don't have a local station down here)

Caedmon's Call

Derek Webb

Jim Scott Orrick

Keith Green

Those are commonly listened to CDs/iTunes.

However they listen to other artists as well...some from WOW worship CDs and whatever else is on Air1...Nicole Nordeman, Jeremy Camp, Todd Agnew, Seventh Day Slumber, Hawk Nelson...

I'm sick of listening to Toby Mac every single time we get in the car. Any suggestions? My daughter is 8.

Oh my kiddos don't get the radio in the car, I do! :D And talk radio it is! If they want music they ride with Dad. ;) We don't really ever listen to kiddo stuff at all in the car. We have the iPod and listen to the music that dh and I want to listen to, but we have much influence over our kiddos and they appreciate the music that we do!

Assorted Broadway soundtracks:

Pippin

Cats

Wicked

Mamma Mia

and since she's acting in it this summer, "Once On This Island" (GREAT music, by the woman who wrote Schoolhouse Rock songs!)

Broadway Kids cd's

Pop stations

Jonas Brothers

Lots of classical stuff

She's got very eclectic musical tastes!

As for music, my dc listen to contemporary christian or christian rap along with some teen pop songs that can be heard on Disney or something.

As for literature, we check out audio books from the library and they have just finished listening to The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis (They loved it!)

and now we are listening to Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling.

Outside of the car, however, they listen to:

• Adventures in Odyssey
  • Chronicles of Narnia (Focus on the Family Dramatized)
  • Magic Tree House
  • Stuart Little
  • Trumpet of the Swan read by E.B. White
  • Charlotte's Web
  • Story of the World, Ancients
  • Jim Weiss stories

Philadelphia Chickens is pretty good - it's a bunch of Sandra Boynton poems put to music.

We also listen to:

Various songs we put on cd from our 78's. These are mostly from the 20' and 30's.

Latin and world music.

Jazz.

Jethro Tull.

Our rule is whatever the driver wants to listen to is what we listen to in the car.

For us, in the car it's whatever happens to be on public radio. But at home, dd(7)'s latest obsession is the soundtrack from Wall*e. She has been playing that thing for 5. days. straight. And although the "Hello, Dolly!" stuff is beginning to wear a little thin in my book, at least she's not into all of the pre-teen pop garbage! (And, truth be known, I kind of dig that Peter Gabriel number!)

-Robin

Soundtracks--Robin Hood (yes the Kevin Costner one), Serenity, Star Wars, Transformers, Princess Bride, Aladdin

Classical--Holst's Planets are a regular favorite, the Classical Kids CDs, Suzuki CDs

Nickelcreek

Audiobooks--Redwall mostly these days, Hank the Cowdog, Narnia

Musicals--Secret Garden, CATS, Beauty and the Beast

Kids Christian CDs--Sir Oliver's Song (10 Commandments), Bullfrogs and Butterflies, The Enchanted Journey (a musical Pilgrim's Progress)

Story of the World Vol. 1 and 2, Pudewa's poetry CDs, Veritas history CD

I think that's most of our regular repertoire. For radio we mostly just listen to the classical station. They like U2 and some of my music (Indelible Grace, Jars of Clay).

Philadelphia Chickens is pretty good - it's a bunch of Sandra Boynton poems put to music.

We like Philadelphia Chickens too. And Dog Train.

Those also reminded me of They Might Be Giants "No" and "ABCs" which are car favorites.

We also have several Curious George stories on CD that dd (4) asks for often.

Well, besides TobyMac, (which is always in the stereo around here!) we do:

Barlow Girl

SuperChik

HSM soundtracks

DC Talk (Jesus Freak is awesome!)

Josh Grobin

Charlotte Church

David Crowder

Rebecca St. James

The Monkees (you know, "Hey, Hey, We're the Monkees", "Daydream Believer")

Those are the girls, we also have a boy who likes Switchfoot, Hawk Nelson, John Rueben, and 3rd Day.

Right now the two main things playing in our cd player at home is In the Heights (my choice) and Mamma Mia! (kids' choice). It is not unlikely to hear them dancing around the house singing "Dancing Queen". Even my 5yods. :D We also enjoy Wicked, Phantom of the Opera, and some older musicals.

We also have High School Musicals (1&2, soon to be 3!), Camp Rock, Hannah Montana, but those get a much shorter play time due to my inability to hear the songs more than once. But, I can listen to my musicals all day long (and usually end up more productive when I do).

Current "pop/rock" cds that my kids like...hmm..do I admit this here? Fergie, Blue October, Matchbox 20, Flobots. They also like The Beatles.

I am a very eclectic music fan- it just depends on the day whether I want to hear musicals, country, r&b, rock, alternative. There really isn't music I don't like.

Well, I like Johhny Cash, Willie Nelson, Elvis, Lynard Skynard, Led Zeppelin, and whatever the country station and the old rock station play....so she listens to that. (On her own I am afraid she likes that hideous other crap that passes for music - hip hop and stuff like that.....but I control the radio!) Sometimes I control the radio but share and we listen to a LITTLE bit of her choice. But I have to say - she sings along word for word with alot of Elvis and Cash!

We never really listened to all that kid music. It drives me nuts!

This also applies for us! Expect no hip-hop or rap...the closet we have to that is the Tim McGraw/Nelly duet - Over and Over Again.

Old classic country, new country and old rock. I'm driving so I decide...currently in the CD player is Miranda Lambert's Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.

Others include:

George Strait

Kenny Chesney

Trace Adkins

Johnny Cash

Big & Rich

Dierks Bentley

Toby Keith

Carrie Underwood

Martina McBride

Kenny Rogers

Often, we don't listen to anything. The quiet or talking is nice.

Sometimes we listen to the radio (often NPR) or some of my cds w/ 80s music, lol. Or the Beatles or my Eric Clapton Unplugged cd. :D

My dd is really the music fan. She loves:

Putumayo cds (Baila!, Gypsy Caravan, One World, Celtic Tides, South Pacific Islands, etc...)

Flamenco & tango music (various cds we have collected)

Ottomar Liebert (Nouveau Flamenco)

various cds by Belgian/Dutch singers

Things like World's Best Opera for Kids, a few of the Classical Kids cds, Lyrical Life Science, etc....

Try your library. Ours has a huge cd collection & it's a great way to try some different styles or types of music.

No music, only stories. (Though once in awhile I insist on listening to music.)

Younger ds doesn't love hearing stories in the car though, so it can be a conflict. We're working on him though.

We listen to Jim Weiss, Magic Tree House, The Cricket in Times Square, Greek Myths. Ds are 8 and 5.

Currently in my car: CD from VBS (Beach Party, if anyone else's kids did this)

Currently in DH's car: Old Blind Dogs' The Gab O Mey

Currently on DD's iPod (for bedtime): The Children's Homer

Currently in DD's CD player (for afternoon quiet time): Nim's Island

Currently tuned on kitchen radio: local classical station

Currently in kitchen CD player: French Spiritual Songs

I'm sick of listening to Toby Mac every single time we get in the car. Any suggestions? My daughter is 8.

I have absolutely no idea. I'm sure my folks said the same thing "way back when" but it's all just noise to me. Actually, he's admitted it's pretty much noise to him, too.

On the other hand, I don't think anything my son might be listening to would interest your daughter. :D

My 13 yr old is listening to a Jonas Brothers CD she just got for her b-day from a friend.

My 5 yr old is stuck on the following songs from a cd we made of Mp3 files...Wooly bully, Purple people eater, Puff the magic dragon, and The battle of New Orleans by Johnny Horton. (she has unique tastes..:lol:)

My 5 yr old is stuck on the following songs from a cd we made of Mp3 files...Wooly bully, Purple people eater, Puff the magic dragon, and The battle of New Orleans by Johnny Horton. (she has unique tastes..:lol:)

Yes, aren't little ones great? They just like what they like. Currently my ds LOVES "Man of Constant Sorrow" from the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack. It is SO HILARIOUS to hear a nearly-4yo singing about how he's seen trouble all his days. :001_huh: Right, kid--quite literally, all your DAYS. ;)

Yes, aren't little ones great? They just like what they like. Currently my ds LOVES "Man of Constant Sorrow" from the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack. It is SO HILARIOUS to hear a nearly-4yo singing about how he's seen trouble all his days. :001_huh: Right, kid--quite literally, all your DAYS. ;)

Oh how funny! You must get that on video. That sounds like a keeper for sure.

Oh how funny! You must get that on video. That sounds like a keeper for sure.

Goodness--you're right! I really should. To add to the picture: He wears DH's ballcap backwards (?!) and strums his "guitar" (a small broom) along with the music. It really is absolutely hilarious. It's soooo hard not to laugh out loud, but I don't want to disparage his art. He's very serious about his music. :001_huh:

Bwah hahahahaha!!! :lol:

They Might Be Giants, Moxy Fruvous, the Asylum Street Spankers kids' album (bluegrass with modern lyrics) Mommy Says No, anything from Music for Little People, and a lot of "golden oldies." Here's a quick selection from my kids' playlist:

ABC, Jackson 5

Good Golly Miss Molly, Little Richard

Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavour, Lonnie Donegan

Charlie Brown, Sha Na Na (my kids think this song is hilarious)

Get a Job, Silhouettes

Rock Around the Clock, Bill Haley & His Comets

Yakety Yak, The Coasters

Tutti Frutti, Little Richard

Great Balls of Fire, Jerry Lee Lewis

Oh Boy!, Buddy Holly

Do you iTunes? Searching for Mother Goose Rocks will reveal a wealth of cool songs.

They're listening to the Raiders of the Lost Ark soundtrack, the Halo soundtrack, some Weird Al, and the Buffy the Vampire Slayer soundtrack.

They will also happily listen to the Beatles, Beethoven's Wig, some Philip Glass, and Bach and Beethoven.

They are not fond of my rock.

oldest dd loves Point of Grace, Jump 5 and PureNRG

younger one loves Skip Count Kids Bible Heroes

I love Celtic Christian music and Peter Paul and Mary

We all love Casting Crowns and Third Day

book-wise

I am listening to The Fellowship of the Ring (again)

little bit is listening to Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

12 yr old is listening to Elsie Dinsmore