Menu

am I paranoid? or do other people do this, too?

fdrinca

84 members have voted

1. 1. Do you cover your laptop/computer camera when not in use?

• Yes, there's a post-it note there as I type
    • No, that's a waste of paper

Dd13 got a laptop for her birthday, and I did have her stick stickers over the camera lenses. It may be uncommon, but there are stories of spying so I'll err on the side of caution when it costs me nothing. The other computer is in the study. No stickers on that one - if anyone's life is so sad that they need the occasional view of a wobbly 40-something in her undies, well...

We just purchased a new laptop to replace our 10-year-old computer, and one of the first things I did was to stick a Post-It note on the camera, much to the amusement of my husband. I'm curious if I'm overthinking the issue.

That's something I never thought about.  Most of the time our laptop is hooked up to a bigger monitor, so the laptop itself is closed.  But when it's open... hmm... I will have to look into this camera situation.  I wonder if's it's automatically "on" all the time?

That's something I never thought about.  Most of the time our laptop is hooked up to a bigger monitor, so the laptop itself is closed.  But when it's open... hmm... I will have to look into this camera situation.  I wonder if's it's automatically "on" all the time?

It doesn't really matter.  If your computer gets infected by a remote administration tool, the hackers can turn on your camera and record you.  

My camera has a blue light that glows when it is on so are you saying that it could be on and that light wouldn't be glowing?

The last I read about it- and this was maybe six months ago- the hackers were trying to figure out how to get the virus to turn on the webcam without also activating the little light.  I never did read anything more on it, but I would bet they did eventually figure it out.

Here's one article on it, for those who are just hearing about this now:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2291644/Beware-new-ratters-plague-Men-spying-women-OWN-webcams-injecting-virus-computer.html

No post-it's here.  Mine is securely covered by a Band-Aid that says What the Shrek?  Nifty. 

I have occasionally put my laptop on the bathroom counter and watched an Amazon prime show while I soak in the tub. I'm not interested in being the show, just watching one!

I confess, my concern is mostly vanity (picking noses, various states of breastfeeding undress, etc). It just strikes me as "ugh, weird!" that the potential for prying eyes is so available. I find I've been leaving the laptop open as I look up recipes, play music, listen to NPR, etc.

James Bond and Indy have them over their laptops (PC's) because JB's came on one day while he was on it in his room in Afghanistan (the light came on).  He didn't like that at all.  I don't have one on mine.  I have a macbook and they're much harder to hack, from what I've read, so I'm not worried.  Also, the only time the computer is open is when I'm using it, so unless they just want to watch me typing or reading and occasionally laughing at WTM boards, well, look all you want.  I'm pretty.  :)

Yep, post-its cover laptop cameras in our house too.   I've heard too many stories of hacking.  That one a few years ago where a school district gave out laptops to every kid, and then some of them got in trouble for things they were doing at home because a school administrator started checking cameras really angered me.  Seriously?  Teen girls with cameras in their bedrooms without their permission to record?  I really hope the story was fake, but I never bothered to verify.  I just started covering them. 

eta:  here's a wikipedia page on that scandal:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbins_v._Lower_Merion_School_District

My computer has this thing that pops up when I am re-booting.  I always click on it and turn the camera "off" before I do anything else.  :)  It seems wrong that that thing is "on" by default.

You can turn off autostart on a lot of things that are set to run on boot that don't need to be.

If you are comfortable with computers you can do it in msconfig, if you are not, the free program CCleaner has a tool you can use to do the same thing.

Yes I have a post it there--- but I'm not paranoid about someone spying on me... I teach online classes and I do not use the video feature (we use whiteboard only plus voice).  I have the post-it there just in case I accidently hit the wrong button... kids do not need to see me with headphone-hair and no makeup!  Plus my 130 pound white german shepherd likes to rest his head on my shoulder when I teach-- so he would be VERY distracting!

I had a parent once sign into a class for her son while he was in another room.  She hit the video button-- and her picture was broadcast to the whole class.  I kid you not-- she had cold cream on her face, rollers in her hair and a TATTERED bathrobe on.  Her 17 yr old son was mortified when he found out! 

I now have the ability to turn off the video feature when I set up the class.... but sometimes I do a quick tutorial and the video feature is right there next to the mute button... so YES, I have a post it over the camera...

I don't think its paranoid. I am sick and tired of people spying on everything we do. I read an article just the other day about how the camera can be activated *without* the light coming on.

Like others, I'm mostly sitting here poking around on the internet, usually in scruffy/comfy clothes, but the reality is (for me) that I don't like it. I don't like being followed, I don't like that my personal data is being mined, I don't like that everything I do is in a computer somewhere with a file on my surfing habits, what I search for, or what link I clicked on. This may not be an issue now, but who knows what might happen with the data down the road? Another story I read was about the revenge p0rn site and how people's photos were being superimposed on other bodies, and they were being found out and fired from their jobs, harassed, etc. I just don't want to make things easier for people to mess with me.

As a side note, I have a thumbnail sized post it sticky on my camera and I just remove it when I need to. Based on what I see when I video chat with ds, it is not see-through.... he just sees a blob of color if I forget to take it down.

Flower stickers on the the girls laptops, a construction vehicle sticker on sons.  Also, since I alone have these stickers, I could tell when an older dd started using video for skype because assigned sticker was gone.  Mommy had some discussions with that child about skyping in bedrooms to boys - I don't care if they are your cousins!  They don't need to see you in your Pj's!!!!

So, what about your tablets and phones? And what about those microphones? The iPad had an iOS upgrade that makes you turn on the microphone for your app instead of leaving the microphone on all the time because someone could be recording through the microphone.

I've called my parents via skype before and their computer has somehow answered and I've been looking in their room and they weren't there. Only happened once, but it was interesting.

We have our camera separate and it is facing a wall.

This! It is so creepy. Our computer used to be in our bedroom before we moved into the new house. One night I was sat in bed reading with hubby when suddenly my grandfather's face popped into the room, camera pointing right at our bed!!!

Ugh, so creepy. I shudder to think of the possibilities. I disconnected the camera until we moved the computer and now I have a little cloth bag over it even though it is in the library now.

😣Shudder!

Yes, because I clicked a link on collegeconfidential and then realized my camera was on.  I don't know if the link was weird or not, but my kid stuck black electrical tape over the camera.  That was over a year ago, and it came on one other random time a few months ago. 

I really think both times that I inadvertently did something to turn it on (lol), but I have no idea what that was.

I never have.....until a few months ago. My computer got a virus and it kept opening up my webcam. Even when I closed the pop up window, I could tell it was running in the background because my computer was moving very slowly. This kept on for a day or two before I realized it was probably a virus. My DH called his uncle, who specializes in computers, and he told us that someone was probably accessing my webcam and could possibly have seen me through it. He recommended that we put a post it note over it. I did and it has been there ever since!

Nope, my entire family (and everyone at our office) is repeatedly reminded of how to avoid getting viruses in the first place.

We do not open unknown or unexpected email attachments, we do not visit questionable websites, we do not download software without IT Department (i.e. me) approval, we keep up with OS and vulnerable application (flash, adobe, etc) updates & patches, we run virus scanners at all ports of entry, and on kids' & office computers (some of the office people are worse at following instructions than the kids :p), etc. etc. Without benefit of a virus scanner on the computers I use -- they do chew up resources and get in the way of certain activities -- I have not (knock wood) personally acquired any malicious software in over three decades of computing, with one notable exception: one of the nascent internet systems i was responsible for in 1988 was hit by the Morris worm.

Anyone/thing that can turm on your camera without your knowledge or permission can also be running a keylogger (captures everything you type, including passwords), using your computer as a spam-sending "bot", mining bitcoins using your CPU, or using your computer to participate in DDoS attacks or password-cracking computations.

These things concern me far more than someone getting a photo of me or my kids in our jammies.