Menu

meatless, low sugar breakfast options?

Desert Strawberry

I make oats into a cinnamon pancake that uses very little sugar.

2 cups ground oatmeal (I just pulverize it in the food processor)

1/2 cup WW flour or gluten free flour mix

1-2 tablespoons sugar or honey or make your own substitution.

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 eggs

2 cups milk or yogurt or dairy substitute of your choice

2 tablespoons melted butter or coconut oil.

Mix like usual pancakes and cook.

I top them will grilled apples sprinkled with cinnamon or fresh blueberries simmered until they pop. This is my go to pancake and alternative for days when the kids need something more exciting than oatmeal.

AMDG

Well, my breakfast is usually piping hot and black but my first meal is usually left overs.  

Do you like sausage?  I have a friend who likes lentils with sage-y sausage-like seasonings.  I've never tried it, though.

My daughter NEEDS breakfast everyday.  She gets tired of oats, too, but I still have her have them a couple of times per week.  I dress them up and call then pie names and those make her happy.  Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal is just oatmeal with a bit of pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, walnuts, milk and a drizzle of maple syrup.  Apple Pie Oatmeal, has apples and cinnamon, walnuts, maple syrup, milk.  Cherry Cobbler Oatmeal has frozen tart cherries, almonds, milk, maple syrup.  I mean, I use frozen cherries.  I cook them in the oatmeal and they are oozy and hot when she eats them.  Oh, she loves this with added almond extract.

She likes toast with pb or almond butter.  I make it like a grilled cheese sandwich.  with milk. mmmm.  Sometimes with sliced bananas.  Sometimes with honey or maple syrup.  

breakfast burritos - with egg or beans.  doesn't feel like its eggs, kwim? 

i had soup for breakfast almost every morning of high school.... it was fast, and easy on the tummy as i was going into 2 hrs of swim practice.

left overs (just about anything). 

hth,

ann

Are you trying to limit just sugar at breakfast or other carbs as well?  That leaves protein and fat.  I'm not full of ideas on non-meat protein (whatever protein you might eat at other meals), but fat yes, LOL... Half an avocado with whatever you like on it (balsamic? salt? bacon bits? oops meat) 

Good ideas, ladies. I am cooking beans for burritos right now. I will have to put some aside for breakfast. 

We have to limit dairy, and I am highly allergic to bananas, so those are both out.

I am trying to cut back on all carbs, but mostly grains for myself in addition to the sugar. I am OK with potatoes, but we eat mostly pancakes, muffins, waffles, cinnamon rolls, and such. That is fine once or twice a week, but not every day. 

I do the pie and dessert themed oats, too. My kids LOVE it and would eat it every day. I'm not a big fan. 

I do think they would like to try different kinds of porridge, even beans or corn or potato. I really wanted corn chowder this morning, but that felt weird.I ate pizza, which Isn't better.

Oh, if you like the taste of peanut butter (or almond butter or whatever type of nut butter you want), try this smoothie. It does require a frozen banana, but maybe you could sub some other frozen fruit in it? Strawberries might be tasty. I have also just used plain Greek yogurt w/ this recipe & added a bit of vanilla myself, rather than using vanilla Greek yogurt.

http://iowagirleats.com/2012/01/04/my-top-secret-diet-weapon/

These aren't made of eggs and they are sooooo good.  You can put whatever you want in them.  My favorite so far are roasted red pepper, spinach, vegan cheese, and veggie sausage.

http://www.limetreelife.com/2012/01/04/easy-breakfast-vegan-gluten-free-mini-quiches/

Mmmmmm. These sound great. Thanks for posting the link. I'm definitely trying them!

(BTW, here's a note for anyone who, like me, finds great links for recipes, etc.... I don't always want to print them out right away, but do want to save them. I use the Print Friendly & PDF website to save a .pdf version of the recipe to a folder on my computer. Love the Print Friendly site as it creates a nice, printable version of recipe blog pages & such. :thumbup1: )

Soup is my favorite for breakfast. Just made a pot of miso soup for tomorrows breakfast but it probably wont have as much heft as lentil soup but still a nice option. Also like carrot ginger too. And then other meat soups too. But a veggie chili would work too. Realize I really like dense hot meals for breakfast.

Well, what i've been eating the last few days - i made some creamed spinach that no one else liked.  I cook up a half-portion of grits (actually half corn grits and half buckwheat groats) in the microwave, I beat an egg in to a small amount of the spinach (maybe 1/4 cup, maybe less), and stir it in to the grits, cook 30 seconds in the microwave, stir, cook a bit more.  I dont think the kids would eat it, though.

I used to have a scrambled tofu recipe - it was basically sauteed veggies and tofu with some nut yeast, and turmeric to make it yellow, and i think some thyme

also, fried potatoes, which i used to add nut yeast and eggs to at the end.  

I used to do 'breakfast nachos' when i was pregnant w/ # 2, which was cheese on chips in the microwave topped w scrambled eggs and salsa.  

Banana with peanut butter.

Half an avocado, sprinkled with nuts & seeds & a bit of flaxseed oil.

Big cup of coffee w/ a lot of milk (can be coconut or any kind), plus a square of dark chocolate.

We love avocado on toast!  Sprinkle toast with a bit of olive oil, then pile on smashed up avocado (with a fork). Add whatever suits your taste--pistachios, a drizzle of honey, salt/pepper, etc.

I just saw a recipe for Pioneer Woman's Carb Buster breakfast. It has ingredients you wouldn't include, but may launch some ideas for you.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2013/10/carb-buster-breakfast/

Black bean burritos are my favorite dinner for breakfast food, followed by cold lasagne and leftover pizza. 

What about potato polpettes? Just boil whole potatoes until tender. Cool them a bit and the skins will come off in your hands. Mash loosely, add whatever you like . . . meat, cheese, veg . . . bind it with an egg and fry until hot. My favorite is feta and dill with green onions.

Latkes are even quicker. Serve with a fruit salad and some lox.