Menu

How many hours per day is your child in school?

My son's school day runs from 8:20-3:00.  He is in 8th grade and he frequently has a few hours of homework on top of that.  What infuriates me is that they do all the fun and games (literally) in school and then send the actual work to do at home.

8-3 for middle school.  But they have a study period 2-3 days a week at the end of the day and 20minutes free reading on the other days.  I should add that they only get 30 minutes for lunch and no recess, which seems odd to me as I know I had middle school recess (i.e. time to walk in groups around the play yard and chat), but better that than HW!  They theoretically should have just over an hour a night according to the school district, and that must include study time because most days he has about 30minutes written work, but on occasion a couple of hours.

High school is 7:45 to 2:15 (6.5 hours). She has about an hour in the middle of the day for lunch and study hall. I don't after school her, though.

Kindergarten is 9:15 to 3:30 (6.25 hours) - they have an hour total for lunch and recess. I thought the Kindergarten day would be too long, but they do (easy) core classes in the morning and then in the afternoons they have computer lab, either music, gym, or library, and centers. For centers they have art, Legos, blocks, kitchen, etc. It's developmentally fine even though it is long. With this schedule, I do schoolwork in the morning from 8-9 (then we walk to school, so he gets a little exercise), and most afternoons we do a little more. We read before bed.

Alright - K here is 7 hours, no option to do halfday, only one break - at "lunch" at 10:50, with 20 minutes of recess right after they eat their so-called "lunch". K runs 8:35 to 3:45 and includes a 2 hour literacy block - straight.

My friend's third grader was gone 9:30 hours per day - 6:30 am bus pickup, 4 pm bus return.

They all come home with homework. It sounds like this isn't normal. It seems bizarre to me.

Emily

Our k-5 is 8:05-2:05, with 20 minutes for recess, and forty for lunch and lunch recess. Middle is 8:30-3:15 (with an hour late start on Wednesdays) and the high school is 8:05-3:10, with Wednesday late start. They have 30 minutes for lunch and a 20 minute study period every day.

Our K-5 is 7:45 to 2:45 except on Wednesday when they get out at 2:15 instead.  I know they have 15 or so minutes of "announcements" in the gym (so school doesn't actually start until 8), my son has 45 minutes of PE daily, first thing in the morning, 1/2 hr lunch and 20 minutes recess.  We were told that homework should never take very long and if it does, to let them know and they'd adjust.  We afterschool for 2 hrs daily with a mix of homework/studying for classes and extras I thrown in.  

Oh, he takes the bus and is picked up at 7 and dropped off at 3/2:30.  

The middle and high school school kids are picked up around 8 and dropped off around 4:00 (school schedule is roughly 8:30ish to 3:30ish). The two middle schools and the high school are all about a mile from each other so they are picked up together.  

Private school 1st grade - 8:10AM - 3:15 PM. They do review work from 8:10 AM - 8:40 AM - so that part is optional. Actual lessons start at 8:40 AM. School ends at 3:00, but they hold the kids in the auditorium for a driveby pickup at 3:15 pm. Morning recess of 10 minutes and a 30 minute lunch break. Afternoon recess is converted into PE with a coach every day. No snack times, just lunch.

20 minutes of homework LA and math, daily test review at home (1 to 2 tests a day), monthly book report and 20 minutes of free reading to be done at home (the writing takes us much longer than 20 mins because DS cannot come up with sentences for his spelling words easily).

Aftercare is flexible until 6:30 pm and I pick up at different times depending on my schedule and extracurricular activity schedules.

Every primary school in the country 9 to 3 (ok some are 8.50 to 2.50). As far as I know they all have an hour off for lunch and 20 mins for morning tea. Some may have slight differences. One of the things causing a big stink with the government trialling charter schools is that they can have different hours.

High school (years 9 to 13) has slightly longer hours - it was 8.45 to 3.20 when I attended and is probably not much different now though I have heard of earlier classes in high demand subjects.

The one major exception has been some schools in Christchurch that have been sharing schools since the earthquakes - one school in the morning and one in the afternoon.

Public schools here are 8:00-4:00pm but only 4days per week with ocasionally Friday school day that is 8:00- 1:30.

The elem kids have 30 min lunch, 30 min lunch recess, afternoon snack provided by the school, and an afternoon recess time. Kinder also has a 45 min rest time.

The middle schoolers still get 30 min lunch recess and have PE every day for last period.

High school runs 8:30 -3:30 -however with carpool, clubs, and wanting to get there early enough to socialize, she is gone from 7:30-5:15 most days of the week.

Middle school is 8:30-3:15 but with commute time -It's 7:45 to 4;15. It would be earlier if he rode the bus in the mornings as it comes at 7:15.

1st grade is 7:55 to 2:35 with a 20 min. Morning recess, 55 min. Lunch/recess, and a 15 min. Afternoon recess. He goes to morning care at 7:00 and to afterschool until 4:15. He plays outside in aftercare from 3 to 4 so he gets around 2 1/2 hours of outside time.

Fridays are early release day and everyone gets out at 11:45.

DD's private school runs from 8:00 a.m. to 3 p.m. The day includes a 20 minute morning recess, and a 45 minute combined lunch and afternoon recess. (They usually have 20 min luch, 25 minutes recess.) Then the teacher does a read-aloud after the lunch/recess for about 20 minutes before they transition to the afternoon work. They also have a half-day every other Friday. If I could be a SAHM and pick her up right after school, this would be a wonderful schedule.

However, I am a single mom who works full-time, so she is often there in afterschool care until 5:45 or 6:45, depending on the week. (My work schedule rotates 9-5:30 one week, 10-6:30 the next.) Thankfully, they spend as much of that time outside as the weather allows.

• 2 weeks later...

Both of my girls go to charter schools.

7:40 - 3:30 for 7th grade with up to 20 minutes of homework for each class (6 classes) per day plus an hour of cello practice a day.

8:30 - 3:30 for 3rd grade with no homework.

Notice how they each get out at 3:30.  They're also 15 minutes apart.   :glare: