Menu

Probably a dumb question about faith and chiropractors

SKL

How to say this . . . .

I got the feeling from some things I've read that people who go into chiropractic tend to have out-of-mainstream beliefs about religion.

Is this your impression, or do you know it to be true or untrue, or is that just the silliest question you ever heard?

My first chiro was very very new age.  It's why we left the practice.

My second one not so much.  He went to a Christian church.  He had told me which one once.  So mainstream.  But then left that practice due to him adding and adding and adding on to what you did while there - exercises, adjustment, then this vibrating floor thing.  Very strange.  Then he added something called Maximum Life or something.  It again sounded new age-y.  

Haven't gone to another one since.  More b/c I don't feel I need it than a thought that they are all wierd.

Mine goes to my church. I haven't had a deep spiritual conversation with him to know for certain but I would gather he is more on the conservative side. His practice is more on the conservative side as well. I don't think he pedals supplements except ice packs and icy-hot type stuff. 

How to say this . . . .

I got the feeling from some things I've read that people who go into chiropractic trend to have out-of-mainstream beliefs about religion.

Is this your impression, or do you know it to be true or untrue, or is that just the silliest question you ever heard?

There`s a subset of chiropractors who will talk about sublaxions and claim they can cure everything from muscle soreness to asthma. Those are the ones I would associate with the out-of mainstream folks.

My current chiropractor is LDS, very conservative family guy.  My previous chiro was into Chinese medicine and tended to talk about chakras and such.  I would say it depends what their practice is like.  Straight chiropractic is not even really considered "alternative" anymore to anyone I know. 

It's probably like when I was in massage school.  I would say probably 2/3 of the class was definitely in the "new agey" category, and about 1/3 of us were pretty standard everyday Christians.

We have 2 chiros we go to- both go to church (it's not mainstream but it's not totally whacky either).

One of the guys is mid-40's and does have some interesting beliefs about stuff. We talk about it with him. Dh  every bit as much of a polymath as this chiro and they have great discussions. Chiro knows we don't buy into all of the stuff that he says and he says dh gives him a lot to think about. Bottom line: dh and I are both finding healing to some long-standing health issues. Medical model guys just made it worse or didn't fix it but charged. These guys are less expensive AND effective. 

I got my chiro recommendation from a fairly conservative catholic friend. :) I also believe that health and wellness is a goal more than treating disease or illness, so that makes chiropractic care logical option to me. So that tends to place me outside the "mainstream" of thought when it comes to medical care. But I'm not sure about "mainstream" belief about religion, I'm happy as a Quaker/Religious Society of Friends and it could be debated where they fall in the spectrum of beliefs about faith and religion.

Interesting feedback.  I get the impression that the chiro I go to is a little on the new agey side, but not in your face about it.  Of course I could be completely wrong.

When I was reading the book she lent me about Chiropractic, the history reminded me of the Christian Science religion (which my grandparents practiced).  Despite the name, Christian Science is not mainstream at all.  Some very interesting and compelling ideas, though.

Like others have said, I think it depends on the individual chiropractor.  The field probably does lend itself to attracting people with more out-of-mainstream views and beliefs (whether pertaining to religion or something else), just because chiropractic medicine itself is somewhat outside of the mainstream.  

I've never had any insight into the religious beliefs of the chiropractors I've known, but they were all into various other alternative medical approaches, some of which were definitely not mainstream.  I much prefer CAM (complementary and alternative medicine) approaches to western medicine, so that works for me. 

I am a Christian who goes to a Christian chiropractor.  Chiros sometimes have many non mainstream beliefs about nutrition, supplements, allopathic medicine, etc, but I have not noted any religious differences.

Halcyon, I wish you lived near me because I would like to try acupuncture for my migraines.  I don't care what religion you are - stick me with needles if it helps my poor head.

I am a Christian who goes to a Christian chiropractor.  Chiros sometimes have many non mainstream beliefs about nutrition, supplements, allopathic medicine, etc, but I have not noted any religious differences.

Halcyon, I wish you lived near me because I would like to try acupuncture for my migraines.  I don't care what religion you are - stick me with needles if it helps my poor head.

Aw you poor thing. I treat migraines a lot. I am part of a national movement of low-cost acupuncture--perhaps there is a clinic near you? PM me with your location and I will look it up for you. Usually prices are sliding scale, pay what you want, $15-40 dollars a visit.

ETA: there are Texas clinics in Austin, Fort Worth and San Marcos...are you close to any of those?

Aw you poor thing. I treat migraines a lot. I am part of a national movement of low-cost acupuncture--perhaps there is a clinic near you? PM me with your location and I will look it up for you. Usually prices are sliding scale, pay what you want, $15-40 dollars a visit.

ETA: there are Texas clinics in Austin, Fort Worth and San Marcos...are you close to any of those?

Thank you!  As a matter of fact, I am close to that second location.  Very close.  :) 

Interestingly, my primary care physician recommended acupuncture for my migraines. 

We go to a very conservative brethren type church and most people I know go to a chiro when needed, myself included. I know several in our churches who are in practice as chiropractors. I would be an invalid without chiropractic care, I have a bad back thanks to a car accident. I've never personally met a "new age" chiropractor. I'm afraid of the cracking so my chiropractor doesn't do any cracking on me, yet is still extremely effective in adjusting me when I need it. She is a miracle worker!

Halcyon - I did go for an acupuncture consultation but the costs.  Oy vey.  He was very upfront about what they would be and I do believe in paying someone for their work but I just can't afford it.  If I knew 100% that it would make me pain free, I might move heaven and earth to do it.  But I have spent thousands of dollars on alternative treatments with only mediocre or temporary results.

Well, round here, some of the evangelical church goers consider acupuncture (I am an acupuncturist) to be a "religion" and won't get it. We've tried explaining that it has nothing to do with religion, but...... :confused1:

say what?

People are weird.

Oh and I'm totally fine with acupuncture and even the sensor gadget thingy (totally drawing a blank here??) my chiropractor has, she used it when I was overdue with my 3rd, on my toes and ankles. I think the suspicion of the natural treatment movement is wearing off a lot, especially in areas of chiro, homeopathy, holistic, etc, and maybe more so in Canada. Even my super conservative, kinda legalistic, never worn pants or cut her hair MIL sees a chiro and a homeopathic doctor, and bought my dh a magnetic necklace for his headaches! (She doesn't believe in jewellery, except for a modest wedding ring)

Well, round here, some of the evangelical church goers consider acupuncture (I am an acupuncturist) to be a "religion" and won't get it. We've tried explaining that it has nothing to do with religion, but...... :confused1:

When I worked with the 12-18 yo girls at church, we invited a yoga instructor to come in for one of our week night activities, and she said she had encountered similar attitudes about yoga.

We've had several chiropractors over the years, and they've all been LDS.  I thought - could totally be wrong - that BYU has a chiropractor school, and we're fairly close to BYU.  That's been my only experience.  Nothing strange or out of the mainstream.

We've had several chiropractors over the years, and they've all been LDS. I thought - could totally be wrong - that BYU has a chiropractor school, and we're fairly close to BYU. That's been my only experience. Nothing strange or out of the mainstream.

I don't think BYU has one, but maybe there is one nearby.

Interesting feedback.  I get the impression that the chiro I go to is a little on the new agey side, but not in your face about it.  Of course I could be completely wrong.

When I was reading the book she lent me about Chiropractic, the history reminded me of the Christian Science religion (which my grandparents practiced).  Despite the name, Christian Science is not mainstream at all.  Some very interesting and compelling ideas, though.

I've been to a chiro that was LDS but I only knew that because I knew his brothers family. I've been to a chiro who was very new age and his approach to things differed a little from the others, but he got the job done. I've been to atheist chiropractors and evangelical chiropractors. I don't think it really has anything to do with any beliefs. My dad was in an accident 13 years ago where he was a passenger in a pick up and was hit by a semi on his side of the vehicle. He wouldn't even be able to function without regular chiropractic care. I have hip damage and see one every few months. If I'm good at keeping up with the exercises to stretch things out and keep the right muscles built up, I don't need to go in as often. My dh has seen a sports therapist/chiropractor for job related problems with his back. From what I've seen, it's pretty mainstream.

My daughter's chiropractor is an Evangelical Christian. My daughter's Pediatric Neurologist with PHX Children's Hospital is an Evangelical Christian and she recommends all her patients see a chiropractor (of their choosing, not one in particular)  and an acupuncturist (one she recommends.) I personally know 3 other chiros.  2 of the 3 are Evangelical Christians and one is something new agey connected the Universe, but I can't put any finer a point on it because he didn't go into detail.

I'm the most mundane pagan ever, so I don't know whose boxes I'm in and whose I'm way out of. My current chiro is a cultural Catholic and I only know that because she sent her kids to Catholic school and pulled one out so needed to rant about it a bit. Really, the homeschooler is a good person to rant at about the education system. :D I'm pretty sure my previous chiros were Muslim, but I did an excellent job of pretending I didn't notice. They were a funny pair. :)

I will be in the minority here and say I have definitely noticed this. In particular I see a lot of LDS chiropractors.

I think there's a general overlap between a certain kind of credulity (perhaps an alternate worldview?) and chiropractors. I also associate it with general, ahem, alternative health practices, a greater-than-normal skepticism about the government, concern over GMOs/fluoride, and attempts to generate passive income through real estate or unusual investments.

I do not know what religion my healthcare providers are and I really don't give a darn if they are good at their job. Oh, wait. My midwife/ARNP who I sometimes see for routine lady medical exams is a pretty devout Christian. She is awesome on every level. She is pretty crunchy but I think most midwife solo practice peeps in the PNW are pretty crunchy. So I think it has more to do with her chosen vocation.

Mainstream varies. Here evangelicals are not mainstream. Aging hippies looking for something, anything, to protest are mainstream.

When I worked with the 12-18 yo girls at church, we invited a yoga instructor to come in for one of our week night activities, and she said she had encountered similar attitudes about yoga.

except some forms of yoga are very closely intertwined with a "spiritual" meditation (and much online yoga information links it specifically to "spirituality".  I was looking for information on how to do something specific, but that was one thing that was repeatedly coming up.), especially if you use an older form as originally designed.  I bought a dvd of one, not knowing what it was and its "spiritualism" made me profoundly uncomfortable.  I have eight other yoga dvd's that I either love or find boring or somewhere in between.  I had been doing yoga 4-5x's per week until I injured my sacroiliac doing yard work.  I need to get back into it.

We've had several chiropractors over the years, and they've all been LDS.  I thought - could totally be wrong - that BYU has a chiropractor school, and we're fairly close to BYU.  That's been my only experience.  Nothing strange or out of the mainstream.

there are no chiropractic schools in Utah. BYU has a nursing program.  UofU has the medical school.  I did have a (absolutely fabulous) chiro from snowflake Arizona that wasn't lds. he was impressed I knew where the name came from.  (the snow and the flake families who were the original settlers.)

I don't think BYU has one, but maybe there is one nearby.

there are no chiropractic schools in Utah. BYU has a nursing program.  UofU has the medical school.  I did have a (absolutely fabulous) chiro from snowflake Arizona that wasn't lds. he was impressed I knew where the name came from.  (the snow and the flake families who were the original settlers.)

It's probably because there is a large LDS population where I live.  I never even think about religion and health care providers.  I just want them to know what they're doing.  The only reason I knew they were LDS is because I had mentioned them to some LDS friends and they knew them from church.

We often go to the Ft. Worth clinic. As Halcyon said, they operate on a sliding scale of about $20 - $40. You choose what you can pay. Acupuncture has proven far more effective for my headaches and sciatica than chiro. In fact, chiro has actually caused me injury and increased pain before.

As far as religious overtones, I have relatives who won't come with me for a visit because of the Eastern feel and language of the clinic, but they feel quite comfortable in most chiro practices. I think chiro is considerably more mainstream and westernized in general than acupuncture IME.

I'm so far away from the mainstream, I don't even know what it is anymore.

My chiro is an atheist actually, and started a freethinkers group in our town. He's also the smartest person I've ever met. Ever.

My previous chiro was a run of the mill Christian, think. Though I can't say religion ever came up.

Both were brilliant doctors. I wish chiropractors were better regarded, in general.

?????   My chiropractor is a doctor.  He understands and treats the skeletal system and the muscles and ligaments that hold it all together (indirectly).  I don't see where his faith or my faith or anyone's faith has anything to do with it.  

Rabbit trail I realize...

My dentist is a Christian. I specifically sought out a Christian dentist when I decided to find one a few years ago. I had a LOT of dental anxiety, and I thought it would help put my mind at ease. It did; it helped. He even prayed with me when I had to have my first filling. (He could see that I was barely holding it together and asked if I would like him to pray.) It was the most touching thing a doctor has ever done for me.

Now, I also totally love my gyn, but have no idea of her religion. So it's not some sort of requirement for me to be their patient; doctor must identify as Christian. It's just sort of a nice plus, you know? My faith colors all of my life, including my decisions regarding medical care. It can be easier to work with a provider who has the same worldview. It can ALSO be easier to work with a provider who just, you know, respects that I have the right to make my own decisions, even if they disagree. I'm pretty sure my boy's pediatrician identifies as atheist (she used to blog). She's the absolute best pediatrician ever. And we had to go through several before we found anyone even willing to take us as patients because I insisted on being the final voice of decision regarding my kid's medical care, instead of giving the doctor that authority.

So no, I never discount someone being my medical provider based on their religion. But I've found in my own experience that it can be a blessing when your provider shares your same general convictions is all.

OP, I know Chiros who are Christian as well as Chiros who are, well, I don't know what *they* identify as, but they are WAY new agey to me. 

Rabbit trail I realize...

My dentist is a Christian. I specifically sought out a Christian dentist when I decided to find one a few years ago. I had a LOT of dental anxiety, and I thought it would help put my mind at ease. It did; it helped. He even prayed with me when I had to have my first filling. (He could see that I was barely holding it together and asked if I would like him to pray.) It was the most touching thing a doctor has ever done for me.

But that didn't affect his actual practice of dentistry.  It affected his bedside (or chairside!) manner and gave you a bond beyond just patient-dentist, but didn't affect what tools he used on your teeth.

I don't know of any chiropractors who manipulate your back differently because of their religious beliefs.  There are chiropractors who use the Palmer method and might believe that they can help with your gastric problems by aligning your spine, but that is still a belief based on how they think the body works and is not a religious belief.  There are chiropractors who do more physical therapy than specifically working on the spine but again that is based on how how they feel that they can be the most therapeutic.  I've been to both kinds.  I've found both kinds to help me with different problems.  Any bedside discussions about energy or anything else is simply that - a discussion that they are  having while they are practicing medicine.

I have gone to a lot of naturopathic physicians over the years.  I did go to one who wanted me to hold on to some crystals and diagnose me that way.  I did not stay long and never went back.  Not so much because she offended me but because I did not feel that she was practicing medicine but was practicing some kind of religious "something".  All the other naturopathic physicians have used a combination of lab diagnostics and normal diagnostic tools (like questionnaires) and sometimes something like muscle testing.  I now ask them not to do muscle testing on me but that is because I was injured while doing that (I have very bad muscle problems) and because the one time I did have it done, it contradicted what actual lab tests had told me.  Otherwise, my naturopathic doctors have had a variety of beliefs, some new-agey, some not, most not apparent at all because it just never came up.  Most are aware of my beliefs because the holistic approach requires that they ask certain questions where it would come up but it was not the subject of debate or deep conversation.  If I am aware of their beliefs it is usually simply because of certain decor and objects in their office and not because of them using those beliefs to heal me or to explain my condition.  

The chiro I saw a few years ago was a nutter. I think he's endeavoring to be the next Wilhelm Reich. Oddly, I'm pretty sure he's an evangelical Christian.

My husband's chiro is evangelical Christian. I know this because I've spoken to his wife about homeschooling. They are perfectly normal. Well, as normal as any of us are.

I find it odd that so many of know what religion your doctors are.  I would never think to ask that, and would wonder why someone felt the need to tell me. I want to know you know what you are doing medically.  I don't care what you do on Friday Night, Saturday or Sunday.

When we first moved south I started seeing doctor, dentist, lawyer signs with fish on them.  I have to say, it really bothered me and I would NEVER have gone to any of those places.  It just read as "This practice is for Christians" and came across as very discriminatory.  If you feel the need to distinguish among your patients, how do I know you won't distinguish between your treatment? It just felt very wrong.  And very unchristian like (but then so much in the south did when it came to religion).  And I am christian.

When we first moved south I started seeing doctor, dentist, lawyer signs with fish on them.  I have to say, it really bothered me and I would NEVER have gone to any of those places.  It just read as "This practice is for Christians" and came across as very discriminatory.  If you feel the need to distinguish among your patients, how do I know you won't distinguish between your treatment? It just felt very wrong.  And very unchristian like (but then so much in the south did when it came to religion).  And I am Christian.

when I see fish, I run the other way.  what it says to me is I'm not competent enough in my field to advertise my business solely on my skills in my chosen field, so I can only attract clients who care less about competence and more about my claimed beliefs.  (we've all known  people who don't live what they claim they believe, so unless you know for a fact otherwise, their beliefs are only claims. aka: by their fruits.)

if someone really cares what religious beliefs a provider is, they can usually pick things up by more innocuous means.  I've had two I-know-exactly-what-religion they are providers. one was one of the best in the area in his field - the other should pack in his shingle because he's incompetent and the only reason he has/gets new patients is they know his religion.

I know providers are religious because of things they have dropped in conversations or the music they have playing in their office and I've put pieces together. (or my ND with sprigs of cedar bough taped above doorways in her new digs.  I asked, they were part of a blessing her priest did.) there are very few I know exactly what their beliefs are. 

I think regionally the display of religious stuff can be a sign of humility and community.  I would think that before I would think discrimination or exclusion (by the doctor, anyway).  And I doubt any of them asks what faith you belong to (if any) before/during treatment.

I would never ask a doctor about his/her faith, but I think it can be relevant because to some extent, different faiths have different views on what we generally consider science / biology.  I'm not talking about Catholic vs. Protestant, but for example Christian Science vs. Eastern influence vs. more typical American Christian/Jewish.

I think regionally the display of religious stuff can be a sign of humility and community.  I would think that before I would think discrimination or exclusion (by the doctor, anyway).  And I doubt any of them asks what faith you belong to (if any) before/during treatment.

I would never ask a doctor about his/her faith, but I think it can be relevant because to some extent, different faiths have different views on what we generally consider science / biology.  I'm not talking about Catholic vs. Protestant, but for example Christian Science vs. Eastern influence vs. more typical American Christian/Jewish.

community in some areas, maybe.  I HAVE encountered drs who were very hostile to religion on the part of the patients. one of the leaders at the med school doing the workup on dudeling was freaking out that 1) we homeschool and 2) he is in a children's sunday school group.  (I also got the impression she equated it with total chaos - as well as indoctrination and being kept away from the real world, which isn't the case.  she's probably one of those who'd find twtm too religious.  - read reviews on amazon.  they're hysterical.)

I have never asked a medical provider about their religion.  That would be totally inappropriate.  In the case of the chiropractors, I know because friends knew them from church.  My GP has it in her bio that she is Lutheran.  The practice she is in has a cross on the wall.  I could less if they are atheist, Hindu, Christian, whatever.  I do know that for other people, especially when finding a GYN or GP, it is important to them to have a pro-life doctor.  I know I've seen lists of pro-life drs with short bios that might mention what church they attend.  People need to be comfortable with their medical provider, and for some that might mean sharing the same religious background.  What makes me comfortable is that they know their stuff.  

There are any number of ways a person can tell what religion (or lack of) a doctor is.

I find it odd that so many of know what religion your doctors are.  I would never think to ask that, and would wonder why someone felt the need to tell me. I want to know you know what you are doing medically.  I don't care what you do on Friday Night, Saturday or Sunday.

When we first moved south I started seeing doctor, dentist, lawyer signs with fish on them.  I have to say, it really bothered me and I would NEVER have gone to any of those places.  It just read as "This practice is for Christians" and came across as very discriminatory.  If you feel the need to distinguish among your patients, how do I know you won't distinguish between your treatment? It just felt very wrong.  And very unchristian like (but then so much in the south did when it came to religion).  And I am christian.

Of the two doctors I use whose religion I know, neither were found out because I asked.  Both were part of general conversation outside the office--one after I'd known him a short time and wasn't yet a patient of his, and the other after I'd been a patient for more than 10 years.

As far as the signs go, it doesn't strike me as being "Christian only" advertising, but more a "this is what I am, in case that matters to you" type of thing.  I am a Christian, but don't patronize businesses based on Christian signs.  I patronize businesses based on whether or not the owner/manager/employee exhibits similar beliefs to mine on treatment plans, customer service, cleanliness, etc.