Menu

In a moment of desperation I called our state online academy (K12)

My health issues have been up and down, but more down than I'd like lately. We're still not done with last year's school (just a couple of subjects) and I haven't even thought about how we're going to tackle 11th grade.  I never ever thought I'd do this but I signed up for information from K12 for 11th grade.  I just got the phone call from the representative.  Once I cut through all his introductory rah-rah speech to ask the "question of the hour", he admitted that ds would automatically be put back into 9th grade.  It doesn't matter that we've already finished 2 years of Latin, and Chemistry and Biology and Algebra and Geometry, not to mention that we were reading history that is lightyears ahead of the "Lord of the Rings" they mention for history/lit (we like LOTR but it really doesn't compare to Plato)  - there is no test or approval process because doing it on our own means that we were an "unaccredited homeschool".  Since part of their rah-rah speech is how much they like to work with students who were homeschooled on their own, I find this a bit off-putting.  But. . . I guess this gives me an answer on this issue with a very clearly slammed door!  (Which is a bit of a relief, actually).  

:grouphug: Jean, I am sorry that you are not feeling as well as you would like and that school is a bit of a struggle. I am not surprised at K12's response as we are just south of you and I think the high school rules are similar. Once the commitment is made for home schooling high school, then isn't much wiggle room. Just out of curiosity, what would K12 say if your son took a nationally normed test? Would they consider adjusting his placement? They probably can't do anything given their state contract, but it might be worth asking.

What can we do to help you? 

What classes do you and your son want to tackle next year? Would you consider putting him in one or two classes at the local high school to ease some of the pressure?  He would still be considered a homeschooler and if you talk with a school counselor, you may be able to negotiate his placement in something like a math class. I find that I have more flexibility in negotiating classes now that my son is a part-time student.

I have always wanted to do all of our classes at home, but now that I am in the thick of it, I find it difficult to stay on top of more than four classes at the level my son needs to be challenged at. Outsourcing a few courses is a happy solution.

Lisa - I knew that our high school would put him back to 9th.  I just wasn't sure about the virtual academy even though I knew very well that they are public.  (But I wasn't sure if the 9th grade thing was more of district decision.)  Anyway. . . I asked about tests and they were apologetic but adamant that it was non-negotiable and that no testing was allowed.

I need to check in to dual enrollment (as Yvette suggested just under you) or possibly taking science or math at the high school.  

I had planned to look into those anyway.  I just thought that giving the whole problem over to K12 would be so easy and other than to fill out a few forms, I wouldn't have to do anything.  When I'm in pain, not having to do anything sounds so lovely. . . .    

:grouphug:  I am sorry for your health issues.  I seem to remember when I was first considering using the K-12 Academy what struck me as super inconvenient was that the student would be registered through the school district that sponsored K-12.  So my son would have been registered in a school district 200 miles away; it would have been a problem if he decided to play high school sports.

You may have to decide whether you take classes at the high school or at the cc.  I know of kids who have done both and it's just a crazy schedule.  And the two that I know of had their grades suffer a bit.  That said, do you feel your son is mature enough for cc?  My daughter definitely was/is.  My son, not so much (I still have a year for that to change).  Can you afford math on-line through Jann in TX or some other live person who can keep him accountable?  Same with a language class?

I've looked at Jann's classes before but our needs/schedule just didn't coincide at that time.  But I am definitely going to look at her classes again this time.  We have had a Latin tutor but she's moving away next month and there are zero other Latin tutors that I've found advertised in this area - at least last time I checked. I will definitely be checking again, though.   We have a math tutor "on call".  At this time he just comes when ds gets stuck because ds hasn't needed him all the time.  

How about having him do Running Start?  As a homeschooler, you can also access the CCs directly (of course you have to pay) and bypass the school entirely (which is what we're doing).

Also, I agree with Lisa that as a homeschooler you may have more wiggle room regarding placement in just a few classes.  In our high school, they would give him a placement test for math and not go with his grade level.  And if you enroll him in classes that don't have state testing tied to them, they probably won't care where he's placed.

Very sorry about your health issues. I hope your health improves and soon! From what I have read, K12 leaves a LOT to be desired, with regard to the education provided to students.  You can read about K12 on the Internet. Possibly your DS can take Distance Learning courses from TTUISD or another university run High School? DD is in the TTUISD Middle School and the vast majority of the time, she is on her own, with regard to her studies. I'm sure it is the same in their High School. 

I don't have much input since I don't have a high schooler yet, BUT I had a good friend whose kid needed to play sports to get scholarships for college and so she put him in the local public school for jr and sr year --- same deal in that state.  No credit for his first two years- she just pulled him out of the public high school a couple weeks before graduation and graduated him from her homeschool (giving credit for the ps classes and prior hs classes).  :hurray:   I thought it was brilliant.  The dual enrollment sounds good and there are other options if you can outsource or do online a bit more to help lighten your load of teaching, etc.

Sorry you have health issues- we can relate in our household.

Paula

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Public school is public school, whether it's an on-line charter school or a campus-based school. The on-line charter schools are still constrained by public school policies, which severely limits their wiggle-room for "working with homeschoolers."

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Is the K12 the Keystone online? I have been searching out info on accredited online schools for the last several hours and am so confused as to what is out there and if our credits will transfer.

Jean, I hope your health improves. :lurk5:

How about having him do Running Start?  As a homeschooler, you can also access the CCs directly (of course you have to pay) and bypass the school entirely (which is what we're doing).

Also, I agree with Lisa that as a homeschooler you may have more wiggle room regarding placement in just a few classes.  In our high school, they would give him a placement test for math and not go with his grade level.  And if you enroll him in classes that don't have state testing tied to them, they probably won't care where he's placed.

I second Running Start (if that's the state you're in). I started planning on that eventual option when my son was in 6th grade, but we moved.

I haven't used it personally, but the the University of Nebraska High School, while pricey, seems to be a offer routes to continue high school without having to start over. (They can transfer your current homeschool credits, but require some sort of standardized test results to 'validate' the credits.)

Jean -  :grouphug:

Jean, I hope your health improves. It had never occured to me that a US school would automatically put them back in ninth. I am pretty shocked by that. Not sure if this would work for your ds but I just started using some Coursera mixed in with our other stuff. No formal grades although for College Algebr, pre calc, and calc there may be. Something there might suit him and take a bit of pressure off you.

A couple of answers.

Dh and I talked last night.  We'd like to do some online classes in addition to regular homeschooling if possible.  

I talked to someone for a long time yesterday about Running Start.  It's doable but would actually put a bigger strain on my health to get ds to classes and still deal with dd's needs/schooling.  It's not a dead-end but not necessarily our first choice.

When I put in our zip code for Connections academy, they gave me a link for their International school.  Does that mean that they don't have it in our state?

We have applied for one online class at this point.  If ds is accepted that will take some stress off of me. 

I'm still researching some other online classes - esp. Physics.  I will be doing a search on this board but if someone wants to just tell me some places to look that would be great!  

Jean, I had my senior take a course on Thinkwell this past year.  It was great - a little expensive, but self paced and I didn't have to do anything with it.  I don't have any idea about science but the math is excellent.  I've heard that Derek Owens Physics class is awesome.

Jean, I had my senior take a course on Thinkwell this past year.  It was great - a little expensive, but self paced and I didn't have to do anything with it.  I don't have any idea about science but the math is excellent.  I've heard that Derek Owens Physics class is awesome.

how about this for online high school physics?  at least starting place to look?

https://iuhighschool.iu.edu/courses/highschool/departments/SCI

I'll check both of those out.  I've been spending the last 20 minutes on Derek Owen's site, looking at his sample lectures etc.  I'm not done looking (there is a lot there to look at!) and I'll be interested to compare what I've seen to some other choices as well.  

sorry about that Jean.   I'm trying to direct you to Indiana University High School Courses

It's an online high school program associated with Indiana University.   Don't know why your virus protection is raising flags.   vipre is letting me look.  hmmm... oh well.  maybe the s on the end of the http ?

Is the K12 the Keystone online? I have been searching out info on accredited online schools for the last several hours and am so confused as to what is out there and if our credits will transfer.

Jean, I hope your health improves. :lurk5:

No. The K12 Virtual schools are paid for (by many states). There are, also, I believe, private K12 courses, Keystone, and the other K12 brands. The states pay a lot of $ to K12 for those virtual schools, but most of what I have read about the results is very negative.  When I began looking for something for DD, during April 2012, Keystone was one of the schools I got information from.

I believe the OP is in the NW, not in Texas, but I looked at this URL for the Texarkana  program. It only goes to grade 8, so that will not help her DS.  I would look for something like that (if they were not going to demote him to 9th grade ), but run by a School district  (in this case Texarkana I.S.D.) and not by K12... http://www.txkisd.net/campuses/tisdvirtualacademy.asp

Someone mentioned the University ohttps://www.depts.ttu.edu/uc/ec2k/Heading.asp?heading_id=270f Nebraska Distance Learning and I believe someone else mentioned Indiana University.  Both are possibilities that should be looked into.. Our experience with TTUISD is very positive and I communicate with 2 families that have kids in their High School and are happy. Their courses are rigorous and DD is learning a lot, which is the goal. (BTW, their "Online" courses require traditional textbooks. I buy them from  Amazon Sellers).

There was a thread on WTM, approximately 6 or 8 months ago, I believe by someone in California, that the UC schools were cutting down, or eliminating acceptance of credits from Keystone? 

ETA: Jean: This is the  URL for the Catalog of TTUISD High School courses:

https://www.depts.ttu.edu/uc/ec2k/Heading.asp?heading_id=270

NOTE: With regard to Foreign Language courses, they still show the old style "PRINT" (correspondence) courses for some of them. The information I have, from someone who has a DC in TTUISD High School is that the "ONLINE" Foreign Language courses are much better, for a variety of reasons).  

It had never occured to me that a US school would automatically put them back in ninth. I am pretty shocked by that.

This is the norm for all public schools, in all states (there are exceptions, of course, but this is the *norm*). It is the norm regardless of whether the children have been homeschooled with an accredited distance-learning school or not. 

When I put in our zip code for Connections academy, they gave me a link for their International school.  Does that mean that they don't have it in our state?

Unfortunately, yes. If your state has the free online public school, there should be two links - one for the public and one for the private. 

The K12 public school I talked to here was Washington Virtual Academy.  They have been advertising heavily on the t.v. and in print ads with a special emphasis on catering to people already homeschooling. 

But. . . as of this morning, ds is enrolled in one of Jann in TX classes for math next year!

I'm still wading through Physics stuff but some housework had to be done and I have a doctor's appointment soon.

My illness has been going on for 25 some years.  It has had its worse times and it's better times.  Right now is a bad one which brief sunny windows.  Ds's health has been dicey lately too which has it's own challenges.    We'll get through this.  This thread http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/481795-junior-and-senior-year-planning/  gives my overview of how I'm trying to plan out the next two years.  

The K12 public school I talked to here was Washington Virtual Academy.  They have been advertising heavily on the t.v. and in print ads with a special emphasis on catering to people already homeschooling. 

But. . . as of this morning, ds is enrolled in one of Jann in TX classes for math next year!

I'm still wading through Physics stuff but some housework had to be done and I have a doctor's appointment soon.

My illness has been going on for 25 some years.  It has had its worse times and its better times.  Right now is a bad one which brief sunny windows.  Ds's health has been dicey lately too which has its own challenges.    We'll get through this.  This thread http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/481795-junior-and-senior-year-planning/  gives my overview of how I'm trying to plan out the next two years.  

Yay for Jann!!!!

Sending happy thoughts your way for good health for you and your ds. :grouphug:

Jean,

Does your state have Connections Academy?  I know the one in my state does not put a homeschooled student back into ninth as long as you can account for what the student did.

What matters is the rules of your school district, not the virtual academy that you use. The school district pays, and the school district makes the rules!

So, if the district wanted the virtual academy to accept home schooling credits by using a placement test or such, I'm sure they would. I think it would have to be a test of some kind, b/c I doubt they would spend the time to evaluate any other way.

No. The K12 Virtual schools are paid for (by many states). There are, also, I believe, private K12 courses, Keystone, and the other K12 brands. The states pay a lot of $ to K12 for those virtual schools, but most of what I have read about the results is very negative.  When I began looking for something for DD, during April 2012, Keystone was one of the schools I got information from.

I believe the OP is in the NW, not in Texas, but I looked at this URL for the Texarkana  program. It only goes to grade 8, so that will not help her DS.  I would look for something like that (if they were not going to demote him to 9th grade ), but run by a School district  (in this case Texarkana I.S.D.) and not by K12... http://www.txkisd.net/campuses/tisdvirtualacademy.asp

Someone mentioned the University ohttps://www.depts.ttu.edu/uc/ec2k/Heading.asp?heading_id=270f Nebraska Distance Learning and I believe someone else mentioned Indiana University.  Both are possibilities that should be looked into.. Our experience with TTUISD is very positive and I communicate with 2 families that have kids in their High School and are happy. Their courses are rigorous and DD is learning a lot, which is the goal. (BTW, their "Online" courses require traditional textbooks. I buy them from  Amazon Sellers).

There was a thread on WTM, approximately 6 or 8 months ago, I believe by someone in California, that the UC schools were cutting down, or eliminating acceptance of credits from Keystone? 

ETA: Jean: This is the  URL for the Catalog of TTUISD High School courses:

https://www.depts.ttu.edu/uc/ec2k/Heading.asp?heading_id=270

NOTE: With regard to Foreign Language courses, they still show the old style "PRINT" (correspondence) courses for some of them. The information I have, from someone who has a DC in TTUISD High School is that the "ONLINE" Foreign Language courses are much better, for a variety of reasons).  

Thanks, Lanny. I *thought* they were different, but I'm just not up on all the different options as my state doesn't offer any virtual options. Every time I looked at Keystone, I saw K12 pop up, so there lies my confusion.

In my hours of research over the last few days, I am just not happy with the accredited online schools that I have found. I delved deeply into Keystone back when my son (now a hs graduate) was still in middle school and I was just not impressed. Combine that with someone I knew who was using them, and knowing a lot of her experience, and I was completely turned off them. I looked at them again the other day as I was curious if k12 and Keystone were the same, and if they (Keystone) had changed. We do far more work (and more interesting work!), and yet they are the ones "accredited". It didn't seem it was worth it to bore my kids that way for a lesser experience back then, and it still doesn't look like a good idea for us now. I guess we'll keep 'keeping on'.

Jean, I'm glad you have math lined up. My dd really liked her class with Jann.  I hope everything else falls into place for you.

Editing to add-- I missed the part about your tentative two year plan, Jean. It looks like you are on the right track. I also should have said upthread that I hoped you felt better as in 'having good days'.... I've been here long enough to know you struggle. Poor choice of words on my part. :grouphug:

Wildcat, just FYI, Keystone completely revamped their courses last year. More of the coursework is online, more variety and more frequent assignments, virtual labs, discussion boards, etc. we actually preferred the old basic "read and test" format, so we won't be using them again, but I wanted to let you know Keystone has changed a lot in case you wanted to look at them again.

We ended up preferring American School. I was afraid it wouldn't be challenging enough, but we have found its easier to supplement than to deal with completing someone else's extensive busy work. Ds likes the no frills, clear and straightforward lessons and tests. Their essays ask the student to use and apply what they learned to a new situation, without requiring hours of searching through the text trying to figure out what exactly they are expecting as an answer (his experience with Keystone). They are also very student-friendly rather than money-focused. For example, most distance schools I researched charge $50-100 per course for extensions of a few months, and after using the maximum number of extensions, you have to pay for the course all over again in order to complete it and receive credit. American School charges $25 for a YEAR extension, which extends ALL courses currently taken, with no extension limits. Most courses are text-based, but they are continually adding more online classes, and even the paper classes can submit exams online (rather than snail mail) if desired.

Anyway, it sounds like Jean has things pretty well pulled together, but I wanted to mention our experience for Wildcat and any others who are still researching.