Menu

Tongue curling

jenn-

Tongue Curling  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Can you curl your tongue into a U?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other
  2. 2. Can your children's biological other half curl their tongue

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't Know
    • Other
  3. 3. Can your children curl their tongue?

• All of them can
    • None of them can
    • The majority of them can
    • The majority of them cannot
    • They are split evenly in half
    • Other

We did this in high school. The ability to curl your tongue is dominant.

My dh can curl his tongue. I cannot. So far the only one that is old enough to figure it out can curl her tongue, so I voted other because the other two haven't figured it out yet if they can or can't.

When I was in 6th grade we studied this and in a panic to know if I'd inherited the trait from my only living grandparent, I asked my dear grandmother on her deathbed if she could curl her tongue. She could indeed.

Dh and I can both curl our tongues, but only half our kids can.

DH can curl his tongue, whereas I cannot. He didn't learn that he could do this trick until he was an adult though. So far, I think only one of our children has successfully been able to do it, but I'm not discounting that they take after their father, and just haven't figured out that they're able to do it!

Dh & I both can, but neither of our children can.

Dd started public school this past year & they studied that in a class. Apparently, she was the only one in the class who could not do it. The teachers & classmates made her demonstrate her 'inability' because they couldn't believe it. LOL.

Genes are an interesting thing. I wonder why tongue curling is a dominate trait. I cannot honestly think why it would be a favorable feature to have beyond winning watermelon seed shooting competitions.

You can't think of a evolutionary advantage in having a dexterous tongue? ;)

Hmm. I can't help your study because I adopted my kids. But I can do tongue gymnastics like none other, LOL. Curl, turn all the way upside down (both ways), even shape it into a star. Supposedly only one in a thousand can do all that. LOL. Too bad it wouldn't enhance my resume . . . . I don't know if I got this from my parents or not.

I can't. :( I ended up getting a LOT of recessive genes and my brother and sister I grew up with got a lot of the dominate genes. They could both curl their tongues; they had brown eyes, I was the only one out of 12 kids to have hazel. And those taste test strips they sent home from biology class? I was the only one of my brother, sister, and grandparents raising us that couldn't taste them.

Dh can curl his tongue. Our kids are too little to accurately assess if they can or not, so I voted "other."

What??? You don't want to see the cherry stem with the knot tied in it, too?

:) I recall seeing this done on a tv show quite a while ago. Maybe Twin Peaks? My imagination just wasn't up to figuring out what those others looked like though.

I can, my husband can, and neither of my kids can--at least not yet. They are 9, but I did read some kids who couldn't as children could as teens. I also read there appears to be more to tongue rolling than straight dominant/recessive inheritance. There are environmental factors, including perhaps learning, involved.

This was an interesting thread to read!

I can't curl my tongue. I've hurt my face trying, more times than I can count LOL.

I don't know about all of my siblings, but the two who are here with me right now are able to.

I don't remember whether my husband could curl his tongue. In all of our years together it never really came up - at least not during a time when it seemed like a smart idea to stop and ask ;) Our children can curl their tongues.

Like TheYoungerMrsWarde, I come from a double-digit sibling set. I'm usually the only one whose gene pool got peed in, it's nice to have the company. B)

Okay now my brother keeps looking over at me with his tongue rolled. He's waiting for me to notice. I hope he gets a cramp in it because I'm not gonna give him the satisfaction, stupid show off LOL.

PS: For those of you looking forward to the days your adult children have outgrown their immature childish interactions, I hope your luck is better than our mom's was!