Menu

What do you do with a bored tween

when dh is busy studying, I'm going to be gone, and ds is sick with a fever. Her bff moved out of the neighborhood and there are no other kids around her age. There is a library and a park within walking distance but she does go to both of those places on her own quite often so they aren't very special. She is grumpy and soooooo booooored. I'm escaping in an hour and won't have to put up with her griping but did want to give her a couple of suggestions before I go.

I am dealing with boredom right now as well. Dh just took the boys golfing and oldest threw a 2 year old tantrum because he didn't want to get off the computer game.

By the time they left he had lost some privileges!

We send ours out to muck out stalls. Apparently, after the first time, our teens are never bored again! :laugh: They also freak out if their friends ever say they are bored at our place.... something about me telling them I have a job for them out in the barn... city kids love getting a chance to work out in the barn.

We send ours out to muck out stalls. Apparently, after the first time, our teens are never bored again! :laugh: They also freak out if their friends ever say they are bored at our place.... something about me telling them I have a job for them out in the barn... city kids love getting a chance to work out in the barn.

Amy, I LOVE this. We have 3 horses they aren't stalled so rarely have poop in the stalls to clean..........but as we only have about 2 acres in pasture for them, we do have to scoop poop out of hte pastures and arena. usually after 1 load or so they have figure out something else to do.

I also make the kids that come here for pony rides help me with chores--water, feed, hay, poop scooping, etc. as well. They may as well know what is REALLY envolved in having a horse.

There's always something. Oiling the woodwork, dusting ceiling fans, bathing a pet, paint a room or clean the walls, clean out and organize closets or drawers or garage, mow the yard, pull weeds....

Has she no hobbies? Interests? Art supplies? Electronics to play? Deck of cards?

Is there no one she can help or create a gift for? Cross stitch something for someone? Crochet a baby blanket for someone? Volunteering at the library? Or church?

I've got nothing against giving her some ideas. I simply think the general idea is best to be only a starting point.

So what does she want to do? There has to be something she wants to do.

As a tween, I would expect to start giving them more ownership of themselves and their environment. I don't expect them to just wander the neighborhood either. They should have some basic purpose to it. Playing at the creek is a purpose. Walking to target to check out the $1 bins is a purpose.

If she is otherwise very active and purposeful, then purposeful nothingness for an afternoon isn't all that bad a thing. We all need some down time that's just down. In my house, those days are when we catch up on an entire season of Dr Who. :)

I just walked through the house and saw ds1 working on a composition he's writing on piano. Ds2 is about to play cribbage with dad. And, dd is making a necklace with her wire tools. (They learned a long time ago not to tell me they are bored because I will ALWAYS find something for them to do :lol: ) We have a shelf full of craft kits, a few klutz press books (camera tricks ans stop-motion are on tap for summer), and lots of logic games that are fun for an hour or two. If you have time to gather supplies, wool needle felting is fun for a careful minded tween. Maybe something here will spark an idea.

Have her sign up for diy.org and earn some badges!

This looks so neat!! I just downloaded the app onto my iPhone and I plan to put it on kids iPod Touches tomorrow....looks like a really neat summer fun activity! My girls will be all about earning the badges!

I had a relative who was fond of saying "No intelligent person should ever be bored" or something like that. It got parroted throughout the family enough that, if I was bored, I was too proud to admit it.

As an adult, I WISH I had enough downtime with NOTHING hanging over my head to do that I could get bored. Would it work to say "If you get bored, clean and organize the linen closet."? It's not a punishment, but meaningful work has a way of making time pass so that you feel you've accomplished something AND you appreciate idle downtime more.

Hogwash.

Hasn't kept any of my kids from asking me anything.

But whatever.

Curiosity is the cure for boredom.

The cure for curiosity is knowledge, creativity, exploration, exp<b></b>ression, love of learning.

Giving a child chores will teach a child to avoid parents when they need advice.

Cracking.Up.

I call this "playing Cooking Show."

I do this when I'm alone and making dinner...:-)

Eta--I should add that I don't film myself!

Hey Chris can we dare you to film yourself! LOL You could make video yourself making "The Well-

Trained-Mind Bean dip" Then when a newbie asks what does "pass the bean dip" mean we could point them to your cooking class video and the meaning behind the phrase. :)

Curiosity is the cure for boredom.

The cure for curiosity is knowledge, creativity, exploration, exp<b></b>ression, love of learning.

Giving a child chores will teach a child to avoid parents when they need advice.

I have not found this to be true. The questions don't stop, but complaints of boredom do. "I'm bored." is not a question.

My dd loves to do Window Art (Klutz kit) while listening to audiobooks. I stock up on extra paint. She also loves the Usborne Sticker Dolly books and does them while listening to audiobooks as well. I know those books may sound young, but my 11 1/2 year old still loves them, and when I spoke to the woman at the Usborne booth she said that was typical and that even her dd who was a year or two older still loved them. I just gave this one to my dd today after her ballet recital and she was thrilled.

http://www.amazon.com/Sticker-Dressing-Shopping-Usborne-Activities/dp/0794532543/ref=pd_sim_b_13