Menu

Cameras? - Settle a dispute between DH and I!

EmmaNZ

I want a dSLR. DH says I should get a smaller camera because it will be more practical and fit in my bag (I have 5 children under 8). I want to take pretty pictures with lots of colour and lots of light. He say I won't take any pictures if I can't take the camera with me because I have to take a million other things along too.

I get his point, but I still want a dSLR!

What say you.......???

I think it really depends on what dSLR you are considering. I have a bigger dSLR and a battery grip and assorted lenses. That is a real pain to carry around. Now if you are talking about something like the new Canon SL1 that is really small for a dSLR then that is different. I would be willing to just get a bigger purse to carry that one around. The other option that is a compromise is a mirror less camera. My husband just bought one for me to carry in my purse when I don't want to carry the big camera. So far I have been impressed with the quality of the pictures.

Janet

Wendy, I'm liking your thinking! I need lots of reasons to convince DH. Mrs Mungo is the voice of reason though!

I must go to bed - it's almost midnight here. I'll catch up in the morning I hope.

There is definitely an emotional quality to being able to take lovely pics of your kids when they are little that cannot be dismissed.

I got this while on vacation from the recommendation of my SIL and nephew. I love it!!! I was able to stay on the ground while the kids climbed a 50+ foot tower and get pics that looked like I was standing 5ft away. I've gotten pics of them running that are clear and crisp. And best of all, I found it for $100 at Target!!!

Even if you get an SLR, awesome pictures aren't going to come right away. You may or may not need lenses, books, bags, etc. I will say your husband is right. My SLR doesn't go nearly as many places that a point and shoot would go. BUT, when I make a concentrated effort to take the SLR out, the pictures are better. Do you have a phone that takes pictures that could double as an on-the-go camera?

DSLR. The pictures will be much better.

I carry mine in an insulated lunch bag that I put in my tote to protect it. I had to upgrade from a purse to a tote.

However, my little hobby turned into a blazing all consuming hobby and I have 3 lenses and a flash and extra batteries and cleaning fluid and a remote shutter release, etc...

But I still manage to fit it all in the tote. It weighs so much that my fingers or arm goes numb if I carry the bag for longer than 10 minutes.

Guest submarines

DH got me a DSLR, and I couldn't use it with small kids. Having it around my neck and then needing to even slightly lean to help a kid, resulted in the camera banging on the kid's head. It was very frustrating, and I hardly used it.

I love my high end point and shoot, and I'll enjoy my DSLR when the youngest is a bit older.

But it also depends what you enjoy in photography. I love having a super easy access to my camera at all times. I love catching special moments, and being non-obtrusive. I don't enjoy posed "studio" portraits.

My vote is for a Sony Nex. I had a full size DSLR, but it's size prohibited it's use. I really got sick and tired lugging it around! My tiny NEX takes amazing pictures, and is small enough to take anywhere. If you want to look at some picture taken with both my full size Sony DSLR and compare with pictures taken with much smaller and lighted NEX, have a look at my blog. Latest maybe 10-15 posts are taken with NEX. I put all my picture thought Lightroom, so they all have same edits.

HTH!

Edit to add: I am NOT saying I am a hot shot photographer, just a mum with a camera! And if you just want nice pictures of your kids, without too much trouble involved, a NEX is a happy medium between a full size DSLD and a point and shoot :)

I take a very heavy dslr w me everywhere, with a serious, heavy lens. No way would I pick comfort ovr quality. I have,carried a serious camera with me since I was 10, though. It is second nature, a genetic shutterbug thing.

LOL! I am the complete opposite. I would take comfort any day, especially with young kids to drag around!

Even if you get an SLR, awesome pictures aren't going to come right away. You may or may not need lenses, books, bags, etc.

:iagree: add on nice filters, lenses, a good tripod, flash and you end up needing a good camera backpack.

For kids under 8, whatever camera gives the best shutter speed is great. It's the candid shots that I shot with my iPod that my kids love to look at the most. A SLR is great for nature photography though like whale watching when you have everything set up in a lookout spot, including a camp chair and a lunch bag :)

DH got me a DSLR, and I couldn't use it with small kids. Having it around my neck and then needing to even slightly lean to help a kid, resulted in the camera banging on the kid's head. It was very frustrating, and I hardly used it.

I love my high end point and shoot, and I'll enjoy my DSLR when the youngest is a bit older.

But it also depends what you enjoy in photography. I love having a super easy access to my camera at all times. I love catching special moments, and being non-obtrusive. I don't enjoy posed "studio" portraits.

Yes to this. I have a huge dSLR, and it takes beautiful pics, and I can fit it in my bag, but if a kid falls or needs me to help with the potty or needs help on the playground, etc, etc.... Then the kid gets smacked with the camera or the camera gets set down in the sand or knocked of f the table or gets a water bottle spilled on it. I have 2-2yos and a 5yo.

I end up using my phone which can be dropped in a pocket 95% of the time. Maybe in another year or two Ill be able to manage. Right now I end up hands on with the kids with zero notice every couple minutes.

I have a Canon Rebel that I LOVE. I don't carry it around all the time but I do bring it whenever we go somewhere I may want to take pictures, like museums and field trips. I use my phone for the unexpected pictures.

I had a little Canon (Power shot? I think) and it was great to be able to take a picture and then slide it into my pocket. But with the neck strap, I don't find my Rebel too obtrusive. If I absolutely have to, I can switch the strap so it is cross-body instead of around my neck, which gets it out of the way without having to put it down. I will admit that I do hit things with the lens fairly frequently. Not hard, just knocking it against things. I have a regular lens and a really good zoom lens. I generally only use the zoom lens when I am at home or know I'll be somewhere it will come in handy. I like to take a lot of nature pictures (lots of bird shots on my blog lately). I am still learning how to use it properly.

I have a Nikon D80, and I take it everywhere. The key to great pictures is great lenses, so go with a smaller camera, and get a great lens. My favorite is the 85mm f1.8. Beautiful pictures! Of course if you have an iPhone 5, those pix are really good too, and that fits in your pocket. ;)

I second the new(er) mirror less. My dh, who is a professional photographer, recently tried out a Fuji mirrorless and loved it. This particular one had a fixed lens, 35 mm, I think, but some photographers that he knows are using them to shoot weddings. It was very small and light, it could have very easily fit into a purse, and much cheaper than our dslrs. I think just the body on our Mark III was $3000 and this camera, with the lens, was $1000. I will ask him the name, but it just came out this year, so it's probably easy to find.

I also recommend you search http://www.dpreview.com for all sorts of info on cameras.

I think the terms Mirrorless and Micro 4/3rds mean the same thing. They have many of the capabilities of a dSLR camera but in a smaller base. You can change lenses, set ISO, Aperture ranges, etc......but they aren't as bulky as a full dSLR camera.

I also really enjoy a camera reviewer on YouTube.com from a group called DigitalRev TV. The guy on there is from NYC, but lives in Hong Kong and speaks in a very British accent (completely fake! ;-)) He is very funny but very effective in showing the differences between cameras.

Dawn

I have access to Mark III's and every lens you can imagine, I never use them unless it is an event, like going to pick strawberries or the beach. I use my iPhone, which is the 4s or 4g, or whatever the second 4 was, for every day pics. The are horrible, which could definitely be user error, but I'm not lugging that camera around where I have to babysit it because it could get damaged or stolen. If we had $1000 to throw around for another camera, I think I would definitely use the Fuji more than I use the Mark III.

I agree with all the micro 4/3rds suggestions. Realistically DSLRs are pretty big and heavy to be carrying around with kids stuff too, its more of a hindrance to taking good pictures. I do take my dslr out when we are just out and about but not all the time and I rarely did when my kids were very small. Mostly these days I only take my DSLR (a 5d) out when I'm honing a particular skill, I do exercises and challenges alot for myself an its a good opportunity then but otherwise not.

On the pretty pictures with colour and light front, you just need to learn to use your camera properly. A micro 4/3rds system should give you plenty of control.

I got this while on vacation from the recommendation of my SIL and nephew. I love it!!! I was able to stay on the ground while the kids climbed a 50+ foot tower and get pics that looked like I was standing 5ft away. I've gotten pics of them running that are clear and crisp. And best of all, I found it for $100 at Target!!!

My camera looks just like yours but it is the rx100. DH purchased it for me about a year ago and I have been really happy with the quality of photos I take. I don't know anything about cameras and have to admit that I had to Google DSLR to see what it was. I think the type of camera a person likes is a personal thing. I really love to have a camera that I can put in my purse and carry around everywhere. I took DD11 to the zoo last week and had my camera hanging on my wrist the entire time. I know if I had a bigger camera I wouldn't take it with me as often but that is just me. My advice is to get the camera you really want (and I really like the idea of having two, I may have to ask DH to get me a big, fancy, camera for Christmas this year).

I want a dSLR. DH says I should get a smaller camera because it will be more practical and fit in my bag (I have 5 children under 8). I want to take pretty pictures with lots of colour and lots of light. He say I won't take any pictures if I can't take the camera with me because I have to take a million other things along too.

I get his point, but I still want a dSLR!

What say you.......???

Get the smaller camera NOW and a bigger camera later, when your kids are older and more responsbile.

My sister got one of those better cameras when her kids were younger and discovered she never had time to pick it up and take it with her. When she got a smaller automatic, she actually had it on hand to take pictures with.

I have an SLR that I love and goes with me to events. But for everyday things, I have a small point and shoot thing that takes decent shots. So when I tour St. Peter's in Rome, I use the big one. When we went to my family farm and had all of the great grandkids together, I used the big one. When we have a water fight in the cul de sac, I use the little one. My youngest is 6, so it is much easier now to lug the big one with extra lenses around. A lot of times, I just use my phone, though.

I had a Sony Cybershot point and shoot when my boys were born until about age 4. I missed so many good pictures because the camera was slow to set and snap the picture. I love my Nikon D90. It is big to carry around, but it's fast and I get a lot of great shots (cute expressions and action shots) I would have missed on my Sony. It also takes little video clips that I use when I don't have my video camera. My boys are almost 8 now and I want a new little camera to carry in my purse (or an Iphone), but I wouldn't trade my DSLR for either of those.

Here's the bigger question - are you willing to put the work into learning how to shoot manually and properly use a dSLR? It's a big, big subject. If not, then get a point and shoot. Honestly, you won't be able to tell much difference between a good point and shoot and a dSLR shot on automatic (with a pop-up flash to boot). It is not the dSLR that takes good pictures. It is the person pressing the button. And that person could take a good picture with a point and shoot that allowed for manual functionality. But yes, as a photographer, you want to have the best tools for the job :)

I started learning photography - seriously - almost six years ago. I quickly became obsessed with it and read/study/do something photography related pretty much every day. I still learn new things all the time. But I LOVE it. Wouldn't give it up for anything. It can get expensive though. I have an embarrassing amount of money invested in my camera gear, classes, workshops, etc. Again though, this is something I'm very passionate about, so totally worth it.

Anyway, bottom line is - if you are going to use the dSLR in the same way you'd use the light point and shoot, go for the point and shoot because you don't have to be as careful and can keep it in your bag 24/7. Plus, they have come a long way and there are some really amazing ones available now. You can play with it and see if you want to learn to shoot manual, and then eventually get a dSLR if you'd like.

Also, don't discount the iPhone. The quality is really good on the newest versions! Good luck making a decision :)

Well I would want both, and I have both.

But, in your situation with kids of those ages, I'd want something light, portable, accessible, guaranteed to go everywhere with me. Which is not the DSLR. When people compliment my photos, it's the "moments" they compliment, not that I was able to capture it with just the right white balance. (and there is certainly a time and place for that type of photography) So I'd want relatively lightweight, image stabilization, and a significant zoom (which is not hard to get these days). Because if you want great kid sports/playing shots, or even to be able to shoot unobtrusively while the kids are (doing whatever) the zoom is VERY helpful.

And then there's the phone, when a "moment" comes up and I don't have a camera!

I have a Sony dSLR and that is the only camera I own. I have not really had any problems taking it with me where ever I wanted to. We have a nice little bag for it. The only time I wished I had my old little digital was at the pool for swim. :)