Menu

Bridge Collapse in My Little Community

TraciWA

Wow! I live ten minutes from the bridge that collapsed Thursday night. I take that bridge multiple times a week even daily. Usually would have been on that bridge about the time it collapsed but our music classes ended last week. This is going to make traffic a night mare! So glad there were no fatalities!

Another Skagitonian here? I had no idea!

I'm in Georgia right now, so I was a bit out of the loop - as soon as I received the Search and Rescue page out I started calling all my family and friends to make sure they were okay. Made for a stressful night, that's for sure.

I'm glad there weren't any severe injuries, it could have been so much worse - could you imagine it collapsing during rush hour?

Also glad to hear that there were no fatalities.

But this is a sad reminder that the infrastructure of this country really needs upgrading.

Yes, this bridge was built in 1955, I think. It apparently has a sufficiency rating of 47/100. Not a good number. They say an truck with an oversized load hit it.

Glad you were ok and glad those on the bridge at the time were too. It could have been so much worse!

Around us we just had a major bridge taken out of commission by a tanker truck that caught fire (massive fire) on it. No one was hurt in that one either, but it sure did a doozy on traffic (closed an interstate under the bridge for a few days &, of course, the road the actual bridge is on while they rebuild).

I saw that last night. reports were there were only three cars at the time. could have been worse. what I read on the rating was it was more about lack of shoulders and insufficient height, but was otherwise considered safe and stable. if it was hit by an oversized truck (I hadn't heard what happened) - someone's insurance is really going to be paying out. sort of like the truck driver who hit the pergola in pioneer square.

a few years ago after a piling on the 520 bridge was hit by a barge and was closed for a few weeks, surface street traffic was a nightmare for a month. (and I wasn't even taking it!) I hope you're able to get where you need to. My understanding is there aren't good options up there to cross the river that can handle the I5 detour volume.

I saw that last night. reports were there were only three cars at the time. could have been worse. what I read on the rating was it was more about lack of shoulders and insufficient height, but was otherwise considered safe and stable. if it was hit by an oversized truck (I hadn't heard what happened) - someone's insurance is really going to be paying out. sort of like the truck driver who hit the pergola in pioneer square.

a few years ago after a piling on the 520 bridge was hit by a barge and was closed for a few weeks, surface street traffic was a nightmare for a month. (and I wasn't even taking it!) I hope you're able to get where you need to. My understanding is there aren't good options up there to cross the river that can handle the I5 detour volume.

Yes, it could have been so much worse! Thankfully most of our activities for the year are done. Traffic will not be fun. They are saying it could be up to a year to rebuild it.

I just heard about this! Yikes! I listen to Dave Ross on the radio while I get ready for work and they had an interview with the driver of one of the cars that went into the river. He was incredibly calm. I used to live in B'ham and crossed that bridge all the time. So glad I live on this side now!

This is my worst nightmare. I get anxiety every time I have to drive over a bridge for this exact reason.

Just don't get behind oversized loads that are too big to cross safely. The bridge itself was fine.

One of the articles about the collapse said that there are hundreds (I forget the exact number but I think it was > 700) of other bridges in Washington with a lower sufficiency rating than the collapsed bridge. That would make me kind of leery of driving on any bridges there, even though I know the collapse is a rare and unusual event.

This is my worst nightmare. I get anxiety every time I have to drive over a bridge for this exact reason.

I'm so glad it wasn't any worse than it was.

Those of us in coastal communities aren't going anywhere unless we drive over bridges--often multiple bridges for a single outing. This is part of my concern over the lack of investment made in infrastructure. Another concern stems from the simple fact that my husband works in the utility industry. Don't get me started on the grid...

An issue that has been raised in my community about forty, fifty year old bridges is that they were not designed for the amount of traffic they are bearing as well as the weight of the traffic they are bearing. They were fine for their original purpose but no one envisioned the growth of my community or the fact that there would be so many cars.

I hate that tragedies often force us to examine our priorities...

We live close to the bridge in Minneapolis that collapsed about 5 years ago that had 13 fatalities and many injuries. I'm so glad no one died in this event! It was about a year for the bridge repair here and it was just one giant traffic nightmere. A neighborhood road about 4 blocks from us because a popular back route. Ugh. It would take 30 minutes just to drive a couple miles at times.

One of the articles about the collapse said that there are hundreds (I forget the exact number but I think it was > 700) of other bridges in Washington with a lower sufficiency rating than the collapsed bridge. That would make me kind of leery of driving on any bridges there, even though I know the collapse is a rare and unusual event.

the bridge's safety rating was fine. what wasn't fine was it's functionality. it was too small for current traffic. narrow shoulders- and obviously lower clearance.

many of those other bridges are in out of the way places, and might even be one lane. I've been on some. they're fine if it's just a car.

the bigger problem is the drivers who ignore low clearance signs. we saw a 'convertable' ryder truck in the aboreatum. there are signs and lights to warn drivers before they ever get to the overpass. a tour bus driver ignored them, and passangers were injured because he didn't fit.

I am just north up in Bellingham... Supposed to drive south to Portland next week, but am second guessing that now until I see what this does to traffic. My neighbor drove over it twice a day for school and was freaked out last night.

could you take the 'scenic' route and go down whidby to the ferry to mukeltio? or is the bridge north of the cut off to anacortes? (I'm not sure exactly where the bridge is - just the general, between mt vernon and burlington)

could you take the 'scenic' route and go down whidby to the ferry to mukeltio? or is the bridge north of the cut off to anacortes? (I'm not sure exactly where the bridge is - just the general, between mt vernon and burlington)

The bridge is south of H20 (which leads to Anacortes).

You could go the Sedro-Woolley way (highway 542 to 9 to 538)... a little bit of a longer drive, but probably a lot less busy, and pretty scenic too. That's the way we usually go to Maple Falls/Mount Baker.

Though, taking I5 -> S Burlington BLVD and just getting back on I5 after the bridge isn't that out of the way, if you chose a good time it probably won't be too busy.

You could go the Sedro-Woolley way (highway 542 to 9 to 538)... a little bit of a longer drive, but probably a lot less busy, and pretty scenic too. That's the way we usually go to Maple Falls/Mount Baker.

Though, taking I5 -> S Burlington BLVD and just getting back on I5 after the bridge isn't that out of the way, if you chose a good time it probably won't be too busy.

My sister and grandmother live in Sedro-Woolley. I was born there. My sister works in another town several miles away and commutes on the I5. It just so happened that she had to stop for a potty break and missed the bridge collapse by mere minutes. I am so thankful that there weren't any fatalities.

K

Going to have to look at a map at these options. We have only been up here a couple months. My goal is to leave early, but late enough to miss morning rush hour in Seattle. Coming back is going to be tougher to time due to it being on a Friday and I know traffic likes to start early.

I am going to see what my neighbor has to say when he heads back to school next week. He will most likely have to take the detour closest to the highway.

I'll be heading north on I-5 up to Bellingham in a few hours. I imagine the detours will be sloooow.

But I'm amazed and thankful that there were no terrible injuries or fatalities.

It did get me thinking, however. How does one get out of a car that is sinking in water? I honestly don't know. Will the slider doors open? I can't imagine that electric windows would work. What does one do? Anyone know?

I'll be heading north on I-5 up to Bellingham in a few hours. I imagine the detours will be sloooow.

But I'm amazed and thankful that there were no terrible injuries or fatalities.

It did get me thinking, however. How does one get out of a car that is sinking in water? I honestly don't know. Will the slider doors open? I can't imagine that electric windows would work. What does one do? Anyone know?

Have fun sitting in line. ;)

I have a window breaker in my car... it's the most reliable because it can be very hard to open a door underwater and the windows aren't guaranteed to work (something like this http://www.amazon.com/Seatbelt-Breaker-Emergency-Escape-Tool/dp/B002AMAXNA).

ABC News Link about how to get out of the car

Ideally, you'll unroll the windows right away before they stop working and get out that way. If not, unlock the door and wait for the car to fill up with water. You won't be able to open it while there is still air in the car. Once it is filled, it will be difficult to open the door but it can be done.

There was a Mythbusters episode on this.

ABC News Link about how to get out of the car

Ideally, you'll unroll the windows right away before they stop working and get out that way. If not, unlock the door and wait for the car to fill up with water. You won't be able to open it while there is still air in the car. Once it is filled, it will be difficult to open the door but it can be done.

There was a Mythbusters episode on this.

What if you have your kids with you? I MIGHT be able to hold my breath. But I'm pretty sure my kids can't.

And there is getting them out of their car seats in the first place. AIGH!

Head down 5 to Cook Rd. cut over to 9. Take 9 south to Lk. McMurry and cut over to 5. It won't be that much out of your way!

What if you have your kids with you? I MIGHT be able to hold my breath. But I'm pretty sure my kids can't.

And there is getting them out of their car seats in the first place. AIGH!

I guess, you would unbuckle yourself and get them out of their carseats as fast as you can and into the front seat with you. Then wait until the car was filled up. You can start trying to open the door when you have a couple of inches of air left at the top to breath with. Then grab them and swim up. Hopefully, you don't have too many nonswimmers to take with you. Kids instinctively hold their breath when submerged under water, so they'll be ok if you get them to the surface quick enough.

We have driven over that bridge several times lately. I'm so glad nobody was killed!

We studied up on what to do if our car ended up in the water. Consensus seems to be that you unroll the windows right away, as soon as you know the car is going in, and that way the windows are easier to break, even if they are only open a little bit. Apparently it's very hard to break them when they are closed. The car will float for a couple of minutes. Break a window & get out that way. I read that it's the back of the car that will float higher because the engine weighs down the front.

It seems more sensible to open the window/break it than to wait until the car is full of water and then open the door. I think i would panic while waiting!

Also... to be prepared... swimming lessons for all!

Going to have to look at a map at these options. We have only been up here a couple months. My goal is to leave early, but late enough to miss morning rush hour in Seattle. Coming back is going to be tougher to time due to it being on a Friday and I know traffic likes to start early.

I am going to see what my neighbor has to say when he heads back to school next week. He will most likely have to take the detour closest to the highway.

960135_10151608455634183_47742_n.png

These are the suggested alternative routes, you could also take the Highway 20 exit towards Anacortes and then turn onto Memorial Highway back into Mount Vernon.

Going to have to look at a map at these options. We have only been up here a couple months. My goal is to leave early, but late enough to miss morning rush hour in Seattle.

If you haven't driven through seattle during a week day - it's always busy. rush hour is a big misnomer.

I was reading the latest that they're planning on a temp pre-fab structure that could be in within three weeks. the south side of the bridge is stable, and they still need to examine the northside after all the debris is hauled off to see if it needs repairs.

that would be a very good thing.

If you haven't driven through seattle during a week day - it's always busy. rush hour is a big misnomer.

Thanks for the route suggestions...

I have done this drive a couple times and my husband used to do it weekly for 6 months. Traffic can be hit of miss.... He learned quick to leave right after work (7am) rather than going 'home,' sleeping and leaving about 1, because then the drive took 7+hours. I am actually more worried about the drive home Friday than the drive down Wednesday.

It will be fun though. We get to go see friends we left down there when we moved up here earlier this year. Might go take a look at a new camera lens too so I am excited lol.