Menu

Who has deleted their facebook account?

SunshineMom

Because I was wasting too much time on there.

Now that I am 6 months from the decision, I look back and realize that many of my posts were prideful attempts to get the attention of others.

(not saying that everyone on FB is like this. This is just me.)

I haven't, but I only have family members and a few close friends on my friends list. If it weren't for Facebook, there are many times I would miss out on what family members are doing like looking at my nephew's pictures from Ireland. I usually check once a day to see if there is anything important happening. I have actually unfriended a couple of family members because I got tired of their political postings. If they bug me too much, then I don't care to keep up with them. Overall, it's a great way for our family to keep connected. If it was upsetting me or making me cranky, I would delete my account. As much I like knowing what everyone is up to, it's not worth that.

I have considered doing it for greater privacy and less time-wasting. I do think it can bring out negatives in me in the way Fairfarmhand states above. I also think it creates an artificial sense of relationship; you feel like you know what's going on with friends and family because of the FB and may not have an *actual* conversation with them for a long time because it "seems" like you're in touch.

However, it also does help me to keep abreast of many people's lives in a way I sincerely just cannot do otherwise. I wouldn't know that my friend's sister is having a baby, for example. So - I don't know. I vacillate on the matter. I did eliminate around 100 "friends" a few months ago because I realized this was not adding anything to my life, so I was paring down to people who I do consider an actual friend (although there are still some I just didn't get around to).

I have considered doing it for greater privacy and less time-wasting. I do think it can bring out negatives in me in the way Fairfarmhand states above. I also think it creates an artificial sense of relationship; you feel like you know what's going on with friends and family because of the FB and may not have an *actual* conversation with them for a long time because it "seems" like you're in touch.

However, it also does help me to keep abreast of many people's lives in a way I sincerely just cannot do otherwise. I wouldn't know that my friend's sister is having a baby, for example. So - I don't know. I vacillate on the matter. I did eliminate around 100 "friends" a few months ago because I realized this was not adding anything to my life, so I was paring down to people who I do consider an actual friend (although there are still some I just didn't get around to).

I almost did this. But the way that it was set up at the time to delete contacts was horribly time consuming and cumbersome. So I ditched the whole thing.

I only have 30 friends. I think because I've kept it severely limited is one reason why I've been able to deal with Facebook.

I did, and have NEVER looked back! Couldn't stand all the "drama," even if I wasn't directly involved. What sent me over the top, though, was how accessible my information was! FRIGHTENING!!!

One suggestion ---

if you delete your account, delete ALL of your pics and personal information FIRST! Then, when your account is just a skeleton, deactivate the account. Otherwise, pics and personal info remain in the fb archive. I know once it's uploaded, there's always a chance that others can access it even after you've deleted it. But at least by deleting all your personal information first, there's less of a risk.

If it weren't for Facebook, there are many times I would miss out on what family members are doing

I also think it creates an artificial sense of relationship; you feel like you know what's going on with friends and family because of the FB and may not have an *actual* conversation with them for a long time because it "seems" like you're in touch.

I have never been on Facebook, and both of these reasons are a big part of why. DH's mom and grandmother visited us last week and one night when we were asking about so-and-so, who's-it, and the gang, his grandmother lamented that she hadn't heard from these people in forever. They were people who had once been close to her, including a couple of other grandchildren whom she had practically raised. At age 86, she is told oh well, Facebook is how people communicate these days so if you aren't on it, that's why you don't hear from them. She isn't completely behind the times; she has a cell phone. I mean, you can reach her at Denny's, while she is walking at the mall, as she is in the waiting room at her cardiologist's office, and all the other stereotypical places old people hang out. LOL But she's not on Facebook, so oh well.

When she passes, her death will probably be posted on Facebook and all those people will probably be at her funeral...no matter that they haven't bothered to pick up the phone or stop by her apartment in years. They will reminisce about the good times they once had, probably not realizing that they actually had the chance for a good visit with her the week before...

OK, that kind of turned into a rant. I know FB can be good for keeping in touch with loved ones far and wide. But I also see it as a way for some people to selfishly cut themselves off from real-life, living (but for not much longer :() loved ones who deserve the respect of a phone call or cup of coffee now and then.

I don't post status updates, only have a small handful of fb "friends" (almost all are IRL folks) and have deleted all my past posts, but I own three groups and am a member of one I don't want to give up.

I stopped checking it, and changed setting so I stopped getting emails when someone else posted. I haven't deleted as there are a couple of 'friends'/contacts I might want to touch base with on day. Email addresses might change, but they'll still be around on Facebook.

I made the change when someone said something really stupid and I thought, "I would never spend time conversing with someone like this in real life, why on earth am I wasting time doing it online?"

I have never been on Facebook, and both of these reasons are a big part of why. DH's mom and grandmother visited us last week and one night when we were asking about so-and-so, who's-it, and the gang, his grandmother lamented that she hadn't heard from these people in forever. They were people who had once been close to her, including a couple of other grandchildren whom she had practically raised. At age 86, she is told oh well, Facebook is how people communicate these days so if you aren't on it, that's why you don't hear from them. She isn't completely behind the times; she has a cell phone. I mean, you can reach her at Denny's, while she is walking at the mall, as she is in the waiting room at her cardiologist's office, and all the other stereotypical places old people hang out. LOL But she's not on Facebook, so oh well.

When she passes, her death will probably be posted on Facebook and all those people will probably be at her funeral...no matter that they haven't bothered to pick up the phone or stop by her apartment in years. They will reminisce about the good times they once had, probably not realizing that they actually had the chance for a good visit with her the week before...

OK, that kind of turned into a rant. I know FB can be good for keeping in touch with loved ones far and wide. But I also see it as a way for some people to selfishly cut themselves off from real-life, living (but for not much longer :() loved ones who deserve the respect of a phone call or cup of coffee now and then.

There's much truth in what you wrote and I agree. In the case of dh's family (dh's family is my family), prior to social media we never knew what others were doing. It's not that they're at odds with one another; they do not keep in touch. It's almost taboo in the family to pick up the phone and call someone. You know, they might be busy or running out the door and you'll interrupt them. Silly, but that's the way it is. We see most family members twice a year at most since they are literally scattered around the globe, and I do enjoy actually visiting in person with them. A couple years ago dh's oldest brother called each sibling on their B-day. That was a first, and with them all getting older, maybe it's time to start new traditions. But in the meantime, with their family's own eccentric rules, Facebook has been a positive.

Dh's mom is 91, and her kids are very good at keeping in touch with her either by phone, letter or visiting for those who live in town. I will say that while the grandchildren are good at contacting her on her birthday or mother's day, big family dinners, etc., other than that she doesn't seem to hear much from them. They are part of the social media generation. I often keep mom up to date on her grandkids from information I get off Facebook. I do think it is a huge downside to all the social media.

I just got rid of my account about a month ago. I just really don't think anyone (myself included) posts anything that interesting. I have all my real friends phone numbers and addresses so I can keep in touch with my true friends who aren't close if I would like. In fact, I probably make more of an effort to make calls / text people personally without Facebook. I think it sort of discourages personal connections one on one because it's easier to make an announcement.

I did back in December. Haven't missed it, and I had been on there for over 4 years. I've manged to keep up with family and close friends via phone/email/Skype/FaceTime. I got so tired of ads, politics, and just the time waste!

I'm amazed at some of the stuff people put on there. Like, "in your face" political stuff. (from numerous points of view) These people are all supposed to be friends with each other, so, WHY? Also personal stuff that kind of embarrasses me on other people's behalf. (i.e. if they had said something like that in the course of a personal conversation, it would be fine, but out on FACEBOOK??? Weird.) I do read it maybe once a week or so to "catch up," but I rarely post myself. (and it isn't for lack of being chatty, there's just something about the venue that makes me feel uncomfortable) And yeah, the privacy concerns are certainly there. And whatever I'm imagining, it's probably worse.

Also when my husband made a new hire for his office, he definitely checked anything web-related including Facebook to see what was "out there" on people. Again, I'm amazed at what is "out there," and a number of people got eliminated right off the bat based on their Facebook page.

I've tried it off and on but it never sticks for me. I just don't like how it discourages real life connections and encourages superficial relationships. My mom updates me on my childhood acquaintances lives, and I haven't kept in touch with them for a reason. She has all these pretend friends. There's something extremely pathetic about 60-year-olds on Facebook buying into this warped sense of reality. May sound harsh but that's my observation.

I never joined FB, either. I've never been able to understand the appeal.

Me too. But here increasing numbers of things require it - I had to use a friends account to get tickets to a free kids show last year and even our church is on Facebook. It is also the only way to keep up with one of my brothers.

I am planning to open an account with the absolute minimum of information on it - no posts unless essential and NEVER any pictures, I won't even let my kids go on their class blogs.

We never did facebook, and while I was tempted at times, I'm glad I didn't. I waste enough time on the www as it is! And I detest this 'look how close my family all is' game, when not one single one of them bothers to actually pick up the phone and call - ever. But I'm suddenly the black sheep because I'm not on facebook! They do love to b*tch behind each others backs though...

I did something different. I had a facebook account with 450+ contacts and friends. I didn't like reading about details of people's lives who I am not close enough to to really care. That said, there were some purposes served in my life by Facebook that I didn't want to give up. I decided that I wanted my facebook to only have:

-Good friends who I see regularly IRL and who often use FB to make invitations and plans.

-Relatives (I live in a different state from all of my extended family)- without FB, we hoard of cousins wouldn't know each other at all (we are all scattered and far flung) and this way, we can stay in touch. There are a lot of us, so FB makes it easier and thus more likely to actually happen.

-Friends who live far away but who if I lived near to, we would see each other. This includes a few people I only "know" due to the internet.

-High school friends who even if I don't see often and may still live here, do use FB to stay connected/plan occasional mini reunions.

It was too time consuming to parse that from the 450 (unfriend, unfriend, unfriend...) so I deactivated that account when I realized how long it would take and opened a new one and just connected to people that clearly met one of those parameters. Now, my feed is only things that I care about and is not full of quasi social work and political connections.

Never opened one,and haven't really missed it. I have some extended family members who I really don't want to have to deal with on FB, which is one big motivator. I just don't want an account.

They wanted DH's FB info when he interviewed for a job a few years ago and almost didn't believe that he didn't have one. I know that can sometimes be problematic these days (employer assumes you are hiding something, etc.). Fortunately they did eventually believe him. He does use his Linked In acct.

Never opened one,and haven't really missed it. I have some extended family members who I really don't want to have to deal with on FB, which is one big motivator. I just don't want an account.

They wanted DH's FB info when he interviewed for a job a few years ago and almost didn't believe that he didn't have one. I know that can sometimes be problematic these days (employer assumes you are hiding something, etc.). Fortunately they did eventually believe him. He does use his Linked In acct.

DH has been offered jobs primarily because he is not on facebook! They specifically said they were looking for someone who 'would not waste time on facebook all day!' - don't know what sort of employees they've previously had!

I deleted my old facebook account... but then realized that there are lots of my IRL homeschooling groups that only post event info on Facebook.... plus I have a facebook page for my little business....

SO, I created a new profile to join the groups but I have NO facebook friends... its just a profile to allow me access to the various groups.

I LOVE Facebook so much more now... :)

DH has been offered jobs primarily because he is not on facebook! They specifically said they were looking for someone who 'would not waste time on facebook all day!' - don't know what sort of employees they've previously had!

LOL! That's a problem at my DH's work, even with highly salaried professionals.

The funny thing is he is a scientist but does some marketing work at his employer, so he had to learn facebook to create a company profile ;) No personal profile for either of us, however.

I didn't delete my account, but reinvented how I use it. I used to have a couple hundred friends and was active with posting status updates and photos (and reading all those of my friends). Huge time suck that my priest helped me recognize.

So I deleted my old account and opened a new account under a different name (it's not my legal name, but it's a name I do go IRL). I have three friends total (my son and two sisters). Instead of using FB for personal networking, I use it for the groups feature. We have a very active local swap group -- yard sale on FB -- and I get a lot of great deals for our home on there in addition to being able to sell some extra things through that. I also started and manage a very large homeschool used curriculum swap group that has almost 3000 members (here). I may get out of that one eventually; we'll see. I used to be in direct sales, selling Uppercase Living, so was in couple of groups for that, but being in that company became a time suck, so I'm getting out of it and will delete myself from those groups when I do.

Think of FB as a tool. Make it work for you. You don't have to be involved in a way that includes drama and "friends" and status updates.

I like having FB, but mainly because I have learned to be selective about who to have as friends.

If any post is annoying, I use the Hide feature, just so that I don't have to see it.

If a friend posts every 2 hours or so, I might hide all posts from them for a while.

I love FB for humor. I much prefer pinterest, however.

Two things that annoy me on FB:

* The Close Friends feature - any of your friends can basically stalk all your activity.

* How so many seem to not understand or care about the globe/world/public icon.

When I see that, I very seldom hit "Like" or comment on their posts. It's important to remember that if you hit "Like" or comment on someone's world/globe/public icon, then your Like or Comment is public also.

The only thing that I allow on the world/public icon is my Cover Picture, simply because I have no choice. Everything else is set for "Friends Only".

FacebookPrivacyPage2.jpg