Menu

Starbucks dirty diaper incident

Moxie

I mean really common sense and courtesy for others should not be so hard to comprehend.

I do understand common sense & courtesy for others but I think maybe I understand it differently. My common sense tells me to change the diaper as discreetly & simply as possible. Its just a dirty diaper, no need to make it a production. & I think courtesy for others goes in more than one direction. If the smell is so offensive then this should apply to many more things. Passing gas (adults as well as children), adult diapers as well, and spitting-up come to mind - not to mention the smell of formula itself - yuck! (I'm not against formula, it just smells bad.)

Honestly, I do think people overreact to kids' dirty diapers. It shouldn't ever be such a big issue.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the other hand, when my toddlers are potty training they are ALWAYS in pull ups or diapers I public because no one else should have to deal with that mess.

I don't. And I don't know any person over approx 50 who ever used pull ups or diapers when potty training. I remember when pull ups were first being marketed for potty training and many a mom thought it was silly and wouldnt last. Lol

I and many others view pull ups and diapers as directly undermining potty training. I've never used them when potty training.

Right. And children sometimes have accidents. It's not at all the same as doing it intentionally. The dining room of a restaurant is not a free-for-all to do whatever you please.

Are you suggesting their one year old dirtied his diaper just to tick everyone off?

Babies get diapers same as adults need to potty.

Babies don't have control over it and neither do their parents.

If there isn't an accommodation made for babies same as we would for adults, then the parents are going to do their best where they are.

I don't. And I don't know any person over approx 50 who ever used pull ups or diapers when potty training. I remember when pull ups were first being marketed for potty training and many a mom thought it was silly and wouldnt last. Lol

I and many others view pull ups and diapers as directly undermining potty training. I've never used them when potty training.

I know many 50+ who used diapers/pull ups when training.

ETA: Huggies first marketed their pullups in 1989, so my guess is there is a fair number of 50+ parents who used them.

I do understand common sense & courtesy for others but I think maybe I understand it differently. My common sense tells me to change the diaper as discreetly & simply as possible. Its just a dirty diaper, no need to make it a production. & I think courtesy for others goes in more than one direction. If the smell is so offensive then this should apply to many more things. Passing gas (adults as well as children), adult diapers as well, and spitting-up come to mind - not to mention the smell of formula itself - yuck! (I'm not against formula, it just smells bad.)

Honestly, I do think people overreact to kids' dirty diapers. It shouldn't ever be such a big issue.

I'm sorry, but the potential for fecal contamination in an eating area *is* a big deal, from bacteria to pinworms. It's more than smell.

Are you suggesting their one year old dirtied his diaper just to tick everyone off?

If there isn't an accommodation made for babies same as we would for adults, then the parents are going to do their best where they are.

The baby's parents DO have control over whether they will find a suitable place to change him, and that should be their priority. Stopping for Starbucks coffee is hardly a necessity, nor is it a crisis if they have to alter their plans to care for the baby. Not all establishments have public restrooms available. It's inconvenient to find one sometimes, but grown-ups should keep their big-boy pants on and find one elsewhere.

Not at all. This isn't about the baby, it's about the parents.

The accommodation you reference wouldn't be for the baby, but for the parent. And the parents here did not "do their best" in this circumstance. There was not a single thing forcing them to change that baby's diaper in the middle of that coffee shop. It isn't like they had waited in line for hours on end to get a hot meal, or something equivalent, for crying out loud. They were too lazy to make the choice to take care of their child's needs in an appropriate environment. That's all that happened here.

People keep making excuses like what if they didn't have a car? What if they just "couldn't" leave? What if they just didn't have any other options? I call BS on all of it. These people did what they felt they were entitled to do, without a single thought for anyone else, and when they were called out on it they threw a temper tantrum.

People lay their changing pads on the floor of the bathroom?? You mean in bathrooms where toilets have possibly overflowed and people could have walked through it? Gross! I'd never change my baby on the floor of a bathroom.

I don't have any issue with a quick pee diaper change in a restaurant. Now poop is a different story. My thought is that if they want customers then customers may have children...and they need to provide a place to change them.

That's mildly interesting then bc even disposable diapers weren't commonly marketed and widely used until the late 50s. Pull ups for older infants or toddlers weren't widely used until the late 80s at best.

Truth be known, if this child had been a 1 year old 50 years ago?

The mother would have likely spanked him for not using the potty and most of those in the restaurant would have nodded approvingly.

We've managed to comprehend that it's not reasonable for all 1 or even 2 year olds to be potty trained and have developed a toleration for their needs that's more in line with their individual development.

However, it appears that we haven't quite developed the parralel tolerance for the diapers of those children. We still refer to them as some disgusting thing inflicted upon society when it's nothing more than a commonality of life needing dealt with.

As an aside, I never change a baby in a bathroom floor. Not even my own. And most people seem to think i keep a fairly tight ship. And it squeaks me out when company does it. I always swiftly direct them to either my bedroom floor with a vinyl mat or vanity counter.

Yall are I freaking me out. Do you have any idea how hard it is to get crap out of tile grouting or rough stone or wood grains compared to wiping off vinyl? I do. Give me the vinyl surface any day. :p

People lay their changing pads on the floor of the bathroom?? You mean in bathrooms where toilets have possibly overflowed and people could have walked through it? Gross! I'd never change my baby on the floor of a bathroom.

I don't have any issue with a quick pee diaper change in a restaurant. Now poop is a different story. My thought is that if they want customers then customers may have children...and they need to provide a place to change them.

People lay their changing pads on the floor so that the baby remains clean. Then the changing pad can be cleaned before returning it to the outside pocket of the diaper bag. Further, it can be washed at home. I was always obsessive about the state of my changing pads, diaper bag, blankets, stroller, and sling. Cleanliness was a high priority for me when my children were babies and toddlers.

A bathroom floor would never be my first choice; I always had a stroller, and I usually drove, so I changed the baby in either the stroller or the car. If I had no stroller and no car, and there was no changing table in the bathroom, I would use the cleanest-looking section of floor I could find and then clean and sanitize the changing pad when I was done. And make a mental note not to go there again, because I hate eating in places where they don't clean the bathrooms. Makes me distrustful of the kitchen.

Changing a diaper in a restaurant dining area is only for the parents' convenience and not necessary. Millions of parents have never done it and would never do it, proving that it's possible to raise children without changing their diapers where other people are eating lunch.

That's mildly interesting then bc even disposable diapers weren't commonly marketed and widely used until the late 50s. Pull ups for older infants or toddlers weren't widely used until the late 80s at best.

And? Your point?

However, it appears that we haven't quite developed the parralel tolerance for the diapers of those children. We still refer to them as some disgusting thing inflicted upon society when it's nothing more than a commonality of life needing dealt with.

I have no idea where you are getting this from.

Not wanting dirty diapers changed where I eat /= hating babies.

As a mom who breastfed, I hated it when people suggested breastfeeding moms should go nurse the baby in the bathroom for privacy. I don't eat in a bathroom. And I don't do "bathroom things" (like changing diapers) in a place I eat.

With 3 kids, there have been plenty of times I've had to figure out diaper changes without a changing table. It can be done.

There really is no difference between a pull up and a diaper, is there, aside from the velcro and the marketing? I would not put a diaper on a kid I was are trying to wean off diapers.

I am surprised by the digust at diapers and bathroom floors here.

It's interesting to me that people make a distinction between a baby's/toddler's urine/feces and that of adults. As if, somehow, it's different or less unsanitary when it comes from a baby and exposure to it is acceptable in the dining room of an eating establishment.

To me, they're one and the same. No matter where it comes from, urine/feces shouldn't be openly exposed in close proximity to where other people are eating. Yes, we all realize that some residue is all around us in public places. That's just a fact of life. But to intentionally add more and expose other customers to the sights and smells of a baby's dirty diaper while they're trying to enjoy a coffee or a meal is extremely rude and unsanitary IMO.

I think it is gross. Especially for a one year old, it is not even like a newborn breastfed baby, you just know there will be some serious stink involved!

On the other hand, I assume that the reaction from the baristas was completely unprofessional based on the description and I think that is where the problem lies. It might be outrageous and unbelievable but a professional response and proper customer service is still a must.

I don't know why starbucks doesn't have changing tables though. I would never change in the seat at the table but I have found it very inconvenient when I am there with a baby and not in close proximity to a changing place and have to go hunting for a changing table elsewhere.

I don't eat in a bathroom. And I don't do "bathroom things" (like changing diapers) in a place I eat.
Maybe this should be a sign in restaurants (including Starbucks), lol!

I've changed my babies on a public bathroom floor. I even sanitized my changing pad and let another desperate mom use it after me. No worries, no illness, no problem. I've never changed a baby in public - not even when I had my twins and had to cart both of them to find a suitable place to change diapers. Inconvenient, yes, but imo the polite thing to do.

A soiled 1-year old being changed in public like that? Nothing less than gross and rude. I'm sorry Starbucks apologized.

Well I wonder when it became a logical thought process to say "baby crapped => let's go find a restaurant so we can change him." I guess it's only natural that the next step was "restaurant has no changing table => I have no responsibility to be decent about my baby's waste (around people who are eating)." Some awesome logic going on here. Way over my head.

Sometimes it's just not convenient to have a baby in diapers when you're out for the afternoon or evening. Sometimes, the baby dirties his diaper and parents have to deal with it because, you know, they're parents and they have to take care of their babies. And if they go out for coffee in a place that doesn't have changing tables, and they don't have a car or a stroller or any other place to change their babies, then they should either go for coffee elsewhere, or be prepared to have to leave the premises if they have to change a diaper.

This isn't rocket science.

If your baby makes a mess in his diaper and there's nowhere to change him, you get up and leave, and you find someplace private to change him. You don't just do it right there in the public dining area. You just don't.

It's not like stuff like this doesn't happen to all of us at some point, but most of us just suck it up and deal with it. Sure, it's annoying to have to leave a place so you can change a diaper, but if you don't want to properly take care of your baby when you're out and about, hire a sitter to do it for you at home while you and your dh go out to Starbucks.

And I have to be honest about the Starbucks thing -- I'm not at all sure that the employees were rude to the couple. After hearing that the idiot father intentionally dumped his coffee on the floor, I wouldn't trust a single word he said.

As for diapers on a potty training baby, no, there are other options. My girls were diaper-free by 1.5, and I would always take them to the toilet first thing when we reached a destination. Then I knew I had some time before I needed to worry about an accident. I seemed to spend a lot of time in restrooms in those days, but my tots never had an accident in public.

Who in their right minds would think EXCREMENT is appropriate in a restaurant???

Hey, all kids are awesome but that's poo. You go out to your car or you sit on the grass or whatever but you don't freaking have POO in a chair where people are consuming food or just hanging out.

If there wasn't a restroom at all in Starbuck's would it be appropriate for an adult to %$!# on a chair?

I used to really appreciate it—back when we had a toddler in diapers—when I was out alone with my son and I found Men's rooms with changing tables. It happen more often than I expected, and seemed very "enlightened," but was very far from universal.

When I was out of luck I used a "Dad method" to deal with the problem. Sling baby in left arm (head down, butt up), tear off diaper and dispose, wipe up, and re-diaper with free right hand. I can't say Mrs Spy Car loved this method, or that she had the upper-body strength to use it herself, but it was better than the alternatives for me.

Changing a diaper soiled with feces on a seat in an eating area is not something I would consider a reasonable option for reasons of public health.

Bill

You do not ever need to be in a Starbucks. I wouldn't frequent a place without a changing table when I had a baby. It's absurd to me that there wasn't SOME acceptable alternative, and the father lost any and all credibility when he dumped the coffee on the floor. A diaper can wait 10 minutes, and if it can't, then don't go out to a place without a changing table. Yep, when you are a parent it's up to you to be prepared for these situations, not Starbucks.

When I was out of luck I used a "Dad method" to deal with the problem. Sling baby in left arm (head down, butt up), tear off diaper and dispose, wipe up, and re-diaper with free right hand. I can't say Mrs Spy Car loved this method, or that she had the upper-body strength to use it herself, but it was better than the alternatives for me.

Changing a diaper soiled with feces on a seat in an eating area is not something I would consider a reasonable option for reasons of public health.

Bill

You could make a youtube instructional video using a doll to help others.

You do not ever need to be in a Starbucks. I wouldn't frequent a place without a changing table when I had a baby. It's absurd to me that there wasn't SOME acceptable alternative, and the father lost any and all credibility when he dumped the coffee on the floor. A diaper can wait 10 minutes, and if it can't, then don't go out to a place without a changing table. Yep, when you are a parent it's up to you to be prepared for these situations, not Starbucks.

And their "coffee" isn't very good.

Our local coffee shop not only has a changing table (a nice one too, with a railing), it supplies wipes and has a stash of emergency diapers.

Hmmm.

Okay. What about changing them on the floor in a pubic space bc u can't just ditch all your other toddlers?

For various reasons such as:

No bathroom available

No desire to wait until I'd walked 3 miles back home

No desire to leave a trail :o

No desire to leave my other children unattended

Or other situation that don't come to mind

I've:

Used the floor in the corner behind the last seats at wherever while my other children say in those seats. Bookstores, restaurants, car dealership, auto shop.....

Or I've used the stroller if I had it in same locations.

And sometimes none of it matters.

During signing at closing for our first home my 2 months old at the time detonated all over me. Up the front and back of the diaper and down the legs. Got all over my clothes from mid chest to thigh. The gal with the mortgage company was pretty freaked out that dh grabbed a blanket for the floor and together we proceeded to clean us up as best we could right there. But good heavens, that was smarter than leaving a trail to the restrooms down by the elevator!

And *I* was the one covered in crap for 2 hours of signing. But oh boy she sure felt insulted. :/

You could make a youtube instructional video using a doll to help others.

That is a very good idea :D

The key is in "the hold."

It's pretty much the same way you hold a football when you're trying to break through a bunch of linebackers and defensive backs in the open field.

Maybe I should cover diapering and football fundamentals in the same video?

Off to ponder this idea.

Bill

Hmm. I agree about Starbucks and the couple.

However I don't agree a parent always knows in advance whether a diaper can wait 10 minutes. I can't be the only mom who's dealt with public diaper detonation.

However I don't agree a parent always knows in advance whether a diaper can wait 10 minutes. I can't be the only mom who's dealt with public diaper detonation.

I only wish I did not understand what you are talking about!

When Punk was an infant I carried two full changes of baby clothing at all times in the car.

When Sister was an infant I began carrying a full change for myself as well.

:p

Hmmm.

Okay. What about changing them on the floor in a pubic space bc u can't just ditch all your other toddlers?

For various reasons such as:

No bathroom available

No desire to wait until I'd walked 3 miles back home

No desire to leave a trail :o

No desire to leave my other children unattended

Or other situation that don't come to mind

I've:

Used the floor in the corner behind the last seats at wherever while my other children say in those seats. Bookstores, restaurants, car dealership, auto shop.....

Or I've used the stroller if I had it in same locations.

And sometimes none of it matters.

During signing at closing for our first home my 2 months old at the time detonated all over me. Up the front and back of the diaper and down the legs. Got all over my clothes from mid chest to thigh. The gal with the mortgage company was pretty freaked out that dh grabbed a blanket for the floor and together we proceeded to clean us up as best we could right there. But good heavens, that was smarter than leaving a trail to the restrooms down by the elevator!

And *I* was the one covered in crap for 2 hours of signing. But oh boy she sure felt insulted. :/

A baby's diaper leaking all over you when you have no recourse and cannot leave is not rude. It is not your fault.

Changing your baby's diaper at a table at a restaurant becuase you don't want to go to the bathroom or find another establishment that has a bathroom is rude, it is your fault.

One can be avoided, one can not.

It has been the norm for me to have fto takeew toddlers and maybe even a few older kids to the bathroom to change a baby. Even if it means schlepping to another store or another part of the mall. It can be done, honestly I can't imagine changing a baby in the corner of a bookstore, and I've been changing babies in a wide array of places for 12 years now.

If you are at the mechanic, and there is literally no other place to change your baby, it is better to change your baby than to let them sit. But honestly, how often is it that you have no way to get to a bathroom? I can't imagine it happens very often, it just not might be convenient.

I would completely agree it doesn't happen that often. Who said it should be a daily occurrence? Not me. Not anyone.

Just bc you do something doesn't mean you do it every time.

Just bc you see it once in a while doesn't mean that who you are seeing is doing it all the time.

I have been in restaurants and we are sitting there eating when a diaper goes off and the bathroom is full. And yes, I didn't tell my other children to stop eating so I could load them all up to find somewhere to change a diaper. I instead changed it in the booth or stroller or right behind our seats in the floor and coated myself with hand sanitizer.

That does not mean that I change diapers near our table every time we eat out. In fact, I change them before we go anywhere and try to use the van or restroom station as our first choices while out. And try to keep the bag properly stocked.

But once in a while crap happens. And when it does, I don't freak out about. I just deal with it as cleanly and quickly as possible and move on.

My dd got the hiss-and-dirties at her visa appointment at a foreign embassy. We had to wait so long that by the time we were called up for the oath, she was already wearing the last diaper I had. While I signed some papers, she pooped her heart out on a volunteer's shirt (which *was* regrettably white). Ah, memories.

Your loan story, I totally agree but you weren't in a Starbucks. It was a one time thing, you had no choice, and no one was there paying to eat. How often does that really happen, being in some sort of impossible poop situation, once in a blue moon? And if it really is happening regularly, you need to take your kid to the doctor, try new diapers or not go out to places where you can't easily clean your child up. My point was, those people did not need to be in a Starbucks. They weren't in the ER, they weren't even in a loan closing. They know that they have a baby who will poop and who might even make a mess. You need to make sure you have a car, or a stroller you can wheel into the bathroom and change your baby on, or a changing pad that you are willing to use on a bathroom floor. And if you honestly can't get one of those things, then maybe you shouldn't leave the house with your baby.

You know what I think are good (and I can't believe I'm offering diaper changing advice on a public forum)?

Not those "changing pad" things, but the big blue-on-one-side and white gauzy-absorbent material on the other type sheets that they put under incontinent adults. They fold up small for the diaper bag in case of emergency, and after you use them you trash them.

Yes, they create "disposable waste," so you don't use them when there are other options. But in blow-out emergencies these things are the best (after the "football hold," which is ecologically superior).

Bill

Again. No one said anything about frequency. It is being assumed.

And again, no one mentioned not using pads and hand sanitizer and such as okay either.

Good grief. No car no stroller no leave the house?

Half the world would be imprisoned by their child's diaper!

Your loan story, I totally agree but you weren't in a Starbucks. It was a one time thing, you had no choice, and no one was there paying to eat. How often does that really happen, being in some sort of impossible poop situation, once in a blue moon? And if it really is happening regularly, you need to take your kid to the doctor, try new diapers or not go out to places where you can't easily clean your child up. My point was, those people did not need to be in a Starbucks. They weren't in the ER, they weren't even in a loan closing. They know that they have a baby who will poop and who might even make a mess. You need to make sure you have a car, or a stroller you can wheel into the bathroom and change your baby on, or a changing pad that you are willing to use on a bathroom floor. And if you honestly can't get one of those things, then maybe you shouldn't leave the house with your baby.

Yes!!! I keep those for the diaper bag. They are awesome!

You know what I think are good (and I can't believe I'm offering diaper changing advice on a public forum)?

Not those "changing pad" things, but the big blue-on-one-side and white gauzy-absorbent material on the other type sheets that they put under incontinent adults. They fold up small for the diaper bag in case of emergency, and after you use them you trash them.

Yes, they create "disposable waste," so you don't use them when there are other options. But in blow-out emergencies these things are the best (after the "football hold," which is ecologically superior).

Bill

Yes, they create "disposable waste," so you don't use them when there are other options. But in blow-out emergencies these things are the best (after the "football hold" which is ecologically superior).

Bill

That is a great idea!

When Punk was born I had someone give me a package of disposable changing pads that were every similar in size and composition to those. I gave the last two from the package to a friend after Bug potty trained. I didn't need them often, but they were life savers on the few times I did. A couple rolls of those plastic bags for wet and/or dirty containment went a long way as well.

Bill

Those things are excellent, and another option is the puppy wee-wee pads in the extra large size. They're large, quite absorbent, and have plastic on the outside so if you had to wrap a dirty diaper in one of them, it would keep wetness and stinkiness at bay. I used to also carry a few plastic trash bags (or even Walmart bags in a pinch) so I'd always have a way to dispose of a used diaper and wipes. I hate it when I see people change their babies and then just toss the unwrapped, dirty diaper in the trash in the ladies room. :ack2:

I'm just not feeling it. I had two babies whose ages were 3 months apart. I took them all over the place all the time. I had to change them in plenty of public restrooms. I almost never used the baby changing table even if it was there. If a child can stand on his legs, you don't need a table. Also, in this case, it seems this was an only child with two parents available, so there were no issues of what to do with the rest of the brood. This mom simply did not want to put forth any effort to solve the problem in the bathroom. She didn't think she should have to. Maybe now that she's seen public reaction, she'll put in a little more effort next time.

See, this is the point. Most parents have dealt with diaper detonation at some point, but most parents have still not changed their kid's poopy diaper, or cleaned everything off of themselves, right in the middle of a food/beverage establishment.

And this is a bit off the point anyway, because there is no indication that this extreme of a circumstance was what happened to these parents.

I have changed many diapers in many different locations, but never, ever near where food was being served. In the car, on a changing pad on the hard floor, on my lap, for a toddler while standing in a cramped stall, but not at a table in an eating establishment.

I've never changed a diaper on a child while they stood and likely never will. It would be difficult for me and I would think messier too. I don't think I'll be doing Bill's method anytime soon either

I don't know why she or he didn't do it in a restroom. *shrug*

I've never changed a diaper on a child while they stood and likely never will. It would be difficult for me and I would think messier too. I don't think I'll be doing Bill's method anytime soon either

I don't know why she or he didn't do it in a restroom. *shrug*

I had to change mine that way a few times, and it was not fun. I file those experiences under you gotta do what you gotta do; I have a lot of interesting parenting experiences in that file.

I don't think I'll be doing Bill's method anytime soon either.

It's a man-thing, you wouldn't understand ;)

For some unknown reason ladies tend to object to seeing their babies dangling butt-high, heads-low.

I figure, if anything, this position gets the blood flowing to these little creatures minds. And what could possibly be wrong with that? :D

Bill

It's a man-thing, you wouldn't understand ;)

For some unknown reason ladies tend to object to seeing their babies dangling butt-high, heads-low.

I figure, if anything, this position gets the blood flowing to these little creatures minds. And what could possibly be wrong with that? :D

Bill

When you think of it that way, you were homeschooling way before you even realized it. ;)

Way to go, Bill!!! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Beyond the whole diaper issue is there ANY reason why this guy had to dump his coffee on the floor? Was the trash can full? Was it too far away? Did they not have a trash can? Was the trash can too dirty? Did he have an owie and he couldn't open the trash can? I still think these people should spare everyone, and stay home from now on.