Menu

Angelina Jolie had a prophylactic double mastectomy

unsinkable

I understand the decision. I'm currently waiting on my test results for the BRCA1. My mom is a carrier. I hope and pray I'm not. We'll see. I have so many females in my mom's family that have died from cancer. My aunt is dying right now. It.just.stinks. If I come back positive, I'll be scheduling a preventative hysterectomy. (My odds lie more in ovarian cancer than breast)

I understand the decision. I'm currently waiting on my test results for the BRCA1. My mom is a carrier. I hope and pray I'm not. We'll see. I have so many females in my mom's family that have died from cancer. My aunt is dying right now. It.just.stinks. If I come back positive, I'll be scheduling a preventative hysterectomy. (My odds lie more in ovarian cancer than breast)

(((Rebecca )))

I hope it's negative!

I wonder if this would be covered by any insurance? I would make the same decision she did, no question. I have no body parts that I'm so attached to that I would risk cancer. Anybody know why the enter key no longer works on this forum???

I was glad she made it public. Hopefully it will give other women courage to believe that their beauty doesn't have to be dependent on their body parts.

I've considered doing this myself, as every woman in my family chain has had breast cancer. Amazingly, they all survived to tell about it.

I have a very very close family member who had this done 8 years ago.

ETA: a friend had this done years ago, like 30 years ago.....both her grandmother and grandfather on her mom's side had died of breast cancer, and her mom did have breast cancer. My friend was one of the first women in the US to undergo a bilateral mast. and reconstructive surgery at the same time.

I do remember that the individual who underwent this procedure 8 years ago endured torturous pain for a couple of years afterward. Her muscles (she is/was a strong woman) were moved/rearranged/manipulated (for lack of a better way to put it) in a way that muscles probably aren't meant to be. I would guess that AJ's recovery must have included and may still include much pain and discomfort.

In a heartbeat, I'd have it done. Right now, my husband is kind of on the fence. He won't leave me if I have it done, it'll just take explaining a little more to him the why part. I am so not attached to any body part except my feet, my hands, and my eyes. I'm already losing my hearing, so I've come to terms with that. But losing my hands, eyes, and feet would probably do me in. My breasts? Off them if they want to try and kill me. I had a close friend who had a double mastectomy last year and they rebuilt her breasts via stomach fat. I'd go that route.

My grandmother died mainly of just plain old age and illness, but she developed breast cancer right before her death. So I'm not sure if there is a gene in my family or not. I probably should have the test done.

My mil did something similar. She had cancer in one breast and the mastectomy. Years later she went ahead with the second. Even though there was no evidence of cancer she felt her chances at a longer, healthier life were better without the increased risk of cancer. She was in her late 60's with the cancer, early 70's for the second mastectomy and is now in her mid-80's and still going strong.

I don't put any effort into following celebrities, so I don't know a whole lot about Angelina Jolie. But today I'm thinking that she must be a very brave lady, and that she's going to be an inspiring role model for a lot of women facing the same decision.

I've always rather liked both Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, but wow, they're both making me rather sniffly today:

From The London Evening Standard:

Pitt told the Standard: “Having witnessed this decision firsthand, I find Angie’s choice, as well as so many others like her, absolutely heroic. I thank our medical team for their care and focus.

"All I want for is for her to have a long and healthy life, with myself and our children. This is a happy day for our family.â€

I would consider it if I knew of a genetic marker in my family. My aunt had breastcancer but tested negative for BRCA. My younger sister recently passed away from breastcancer but she never had genetic tests. Her cancer was very aggressive, I would probably have a mastectomy if I had more information and a real choice about it. Insurance can get tricky with preventative surgery and would likely not pay for reconstruction.

Isn't this announcing a news story? :tongue_smilie:

I heard it this morning on the news.

A very brave thing to do and I hope she has continued good health.

Why, yes. Yes, it is announcing a news story.

I actually quoted myself in Samiam's thread, too.

I start "news story threads" often. And sometimes I give my opinion and sometimes I don't.

My intent isn't to offend anyone by posting the stories. I'm sorry that might be an outcome. Sometimes I've linked stories and people have posted questions like,"why is this even considered news?"

(Cue poster who asks, why is this news in 3, 2, 1...)

My mom's aunt died of a very aggressive breast cancer. They cut everything off and she still died. The thought of cancer in my genes comes to mind often, as there is a fair amount of it on both sides, and being a single mom, I'd hate to leave my adopted kids orphaned again. I'd do a lot to prevent that from happening, if I knew the likelihood was high.

I doubt it's covered by most insurance and certainly not the level angelina has the option of attaining with nipple and skin retention and prosthetic implants. And for the most part the genetic testing isn't covered either.

I don't know if I'd do it. For the most part I'm not a fan of removing working parts of me for fear that some day they might not work and be removed then. I might wait or not. I'm sure it would depend on how each woman feels about it.

I am sorry that any woman has to make this decision. I am hoping that she comes out with a free genetic testing for all stance. A friend who works for Breast Cancer Action and had this to say:

From Breast Cancer Action: Angelina Jolie's op-ed in the New York Times is making big news this morning, and we are happy for the visibility that her piece brings to an issue that impacts women around the world. Jolie has made the same agonizing decision that many before her have made - and that many more will face in the future.

But the story is much bigger and more sinister than one of a celebrities personal medical decision. Behind this uplifting personal story, is the fact that a corporation owns the BRCA 1&2 genes - and that monopoly means that the test is expensive and out of reach for many women.

Myriad Genetics is the only company that offers the BRCA test, because it holds the patent on these so called "breast cancer" genes - and Breast Cancer Action is currently a plaintiff in a case before the US Supreme Court that will decide whether gene's patents like Myriad's are constitutional. We expect a decision from the court this summer.

We know that Jolie's story will help educate women with family histories of breast and ovarian cancer about their options - and we demand an end to human gene patents to that these women can have full access to the genetic information they need to make hard decisions about preventative surgery.

I find human gene patenting beyond awful. How dare a corporation say they own me.

http://www.bcaction.org/our-take-on-breast-cancer/gene-patenting/

Why, yes. Yes, it is announcing a news story.

I actually quoted myself in Samiam's thread, too.

I start "news story threads" often. And sometimes I give my opinion and sometimes I don't.

My intent isn't to offend anyone by posting the stories. I'm sorry that might be an outcome. Sometimes I've linked stories and people have posted questions like,"why is this even considered news?"

(Cue poster who asks, why is this news in 3, 2, 1...)

Honestly I generally don't give a crap about celebrity news stories but IMO this is a legitimate discussion. Angelina Jolie is a well known actress who is generally thought to be very attractive. She played Laura Croft for goodness sakes. We should be discussing breast cancer and reducing rates. A famous actress who is generally known for her sex appeal? It does say something that she is there discussing it. A Ms America contestant also recently discussed the same issue. The type of cancer associtated with this gene is aggressive. People don't know what that means. They see people surviving breastcancer everyday but there are many more who do not, who never have much of a chance. The type of cancer my sister passed away from doubles in size every month. She had a double mastectomy before her 30th birthday. The difference between a survivable diagnoses and a terminal illness could be a one or two month window. That's all you get. That is too small!! Maybe this issue is too close to me, my sister passed away only weeks ago and I am really not ok, but I find it darn rude people are being so dismissive over a very serious issue. Unsinkable, I will apologize for those posting in such a manner to your thread. No, I don't generally care who is making tea with who or who just got a divorce but this is different IMO. Sorry for big block of text my enter button is not working.

I am sorry that any woman has to make this decision. I am hoping that she comes out with a free genetic testing for all stance. A friend who works for Breast Cancer Action and had this to say:

From Breast Cancer Action: Angelina Jolie's op-ed in the New York Times is making big news this morning, and we are happy for the visibility that her piece brings to an issue that impacts women around the world. Jolie has made the same agonizing decision that many before her have made - and that many more will face in the future.

But the story is much bigger and more sinister than one of a celebrities personal medical decision. Behind this uplifting personal story, is the fact that a corporation owns the BRCA 1&2 genes - and that monopoly means that the test is expensive and out of reach for many women.

Myriad Genetics is the only company that offers the BRCA test, because it holds the patent on these so called "breast cancer" genes - and Breast Cancer Action is currently a plaintiff in a case before the US Supreme Court that will decide whether gene's patents like Myriad's are constitutional. We expect a decision from the court this summer.

We know that Jolie's story will help educate women with family histories of breast and ovarian cancer about their options - and we demand an end to human gene patents to that these women can have full access to the genetic information they need to make hard decisions about preventative surgery.

I find human gene patenting beyond awful. How dare a corporation say they own me.

http://www.bcaction....gene-patenting/

Thanks for posting this. I had no idea. I hope Angelina coming forward sheds light on this issue.

http://www.bcaction....gene-patenting/

Terrible. Cancer is big money and it sickens me that so many corporations profit off of people who have cancer. There was a news story the other day that one of the big breast cancer research firms was donated 10 mill last year and they didn't spend a single dime on research. I didn't get which foundation it was, it was just a snippet I heard on NPR. I never give money to these bastards because I don't believe they're doing anything good. Until they make real progress they won't get a single dime from me.

I applaud Angelina Jolie and her choice to make this public. This type of aggressive cancer would be a really scary thing to have hanging over one's head.

Terrible. Cancer is big money and it sickens me that so many corporations profit off of people who have cancer. There was a news story the other day that one of the big breast cancer research firms was donated 10 mill last year and they didn't spend a single dime on research. I didn't get which foundation it was, it was just a snippet I heard on NPR. I never give money to these bastards because I don't believe they're doing anything good. Until they make real progress they won't get a single dime from me.

I applaud Angelina Jolie and her choice to make this public. This type of aggressive cancer would be a really scary thing to have hanging over one's head.

Here is an article about that issue. http://consumerist.c...ancer-research/ I would encourage anyone to donate to the charities that are putting money towards research.

If I tested positive for the gene, and if I could find any possible way to afford it, I would have the surgery in a heartbeat. If my breasts have an 83% chance of causing an illness that could kill me? I don't need them anymore...

I have always liked Angelina Jolie, but it does sound like she made a very sensible and well-informed decision.

Both my sisters did this. They tested positive for the BRCA gene. My sisters were nearing their early 50's, which was the time frame that the cancer was discovered in my mom and her sister. My mom lived, my aunt did not.

The tricky part comes with the younger generation. My sisters both have daughters who are still of childbearing age. It's one thing to have the test done and the parts removed when you are done using them. It's quite another when you still have plans for those parts, and a heavy decision to have hanging over your head.

The biggest relief for me? I don't have that gene, so I can't pass it on to my daughter.

Kudos to AJ for going public with her decision.

Both my sisters did this. They tested positive for the BRCA gene. My sisters were nearing their early 50's, which was the time frame that the cancer was discovered in my mom and her sister. My mom lived, my aunt did not.

The tricky part comes with the younger generation. My sisters both have daughters who are still of childbearing age. It's one thing to have the test done and the parts removed when you are done using them. It's quite another when you still have plans for those parts, and a heavy decision to have hanging over your head.

The biggest relief for me? I don't have that gene, so I can't pass it on to my daughter.

Kudos to AJ for going public with her decision.

Having children early and breastfeeding are pretty important issues. Breastfeeding does not prevent cancer but it does reduce the number of periods you have and thus reduces the hormones that effect some types of tumors.

Having children early and breastfeeding are pretty important issues. Breastfeeding does not prevent cancer but it does reduce the number of periods you have and thus reduces the hormones that effect some types of tumors.

except for when it doesn't. My period always returns like clock work 4-6 weeks after I delivery regardless of exclusive breastfeeding. I exclusively breastfed my youngest and had my period every 28 days since she was about 6 weeks old. In fact I skipped my 6 week check because my period had started the day before.

As for the topic at hand. I don't think they do that testing in Canada, but if they did and I tested positive I would do the surgery but I think I would have a hard time with it. Breasts are seen as such a huge marker of womanhood kwim and the thought of removing them as a preventative measure seems to me to be like those that circ because one day their son may get penile cancer. Of course the difference is the actual risk factor and the informed consent. Ultimately my decision would be based on my kids, meaning I would not want to leave them orphaned, so I would remove them if my kids were still young. If I was older (as in 60+) and my kids were grown I may be more likely to take my chances and wait and see.

The Myraid patent is a big deal for those of us that would like to have the BRCA testing done, should I say, need to have the BRCA testing done, and the cost is a real factor. When I finally get to a point to have it done, and if I am positive, I decided long ago to follow through with surgery. It has never even been a second thought that my husband would be against it. He was around when I lost my Mother at age 47, he knows my worry. I certainly hope he wants me here more then my little bOOks :). Am hoping insurance will cover but am also realistic will have a fight there as is typical.

Honestly I generally don't give a crap about celebrity news stories but IMO this is a legitimate discussion. Angelina Jolie is a well known actress who is generally thought to be very attractive. She played Laura Croft for goodness sakes. We should be discussing breast cancer and reducing rates. A famous actress who is generally known for her sex appeal? It does say something that she is there discussing it. A Ms America contestant also recently discussed the same issue. The type of cancer associtated with this gene is aggressive. People don't know what that means. They see people surviving breastcancer everyday but there are many more who do not, who never have much of a chance. The type of cancer my sister passed away from doubles in size every month. She had a double mastectomy before her 30th birthday. The difference between a survivable diagnoses and a terminal illness could be a one or two month window. That's all you get. That is too small!! Maybe this issue is too close to me, my sister passed away only weeks ago and I am really not ok, but I find it darn rude people are being so dismissive over a very serious issue. Unsinkable, I will apologize for those posting in such a manner to your thread. No, I don't generally care who is making tea with who or who just got a divorce but this is different IMO. Sorry for big block of text my enter button is not working.

I am so sorry for the loss of your sister and thank you for sharing this. I'm not knowledgeable in current issues in breast cancer and admit that I didn't really understand why this would be an option to consider but your explanation makes a lot more sense for why it can be a serious consideration and decision for some women.

The Myraid patent is a big deal for those of us that would like to have the BRCA testing done, should I say, need to have the BRCA testing done, and the cost is a real factor. When I finally get to a point to have it done, and if I am positive, I decided long ago to follow through with surgery. It has never even been a second thought that my husband would be against it. He was around when I lost my Mother at age 47, he knows my worry. I certainly hope he wants me here more then my little bOOks :). Am hoping insurance will cover but am also realistic will have a fight there as is typical.

What is the cost of having the test, if you know and are willing to share?

When the beauty pagent woman came forward with her decision to do a prophylactic double mastectomy, I sat right there on my couch with my dh and said I didn't know if I would do that; that it seems drastic, but I don't know. Now my mother was just diagnosed with breast cancer and there is a family history, so I'm considering having the test if my mother does have the test and it shows that she has the gene. :( This has moved rapidly from a theoretical consideration to perhaps a realistic consideration.

I love my boobs. I call them nursies, actually, due to my fond memories of breastfeeding. After feeding my babies for more than a year each, I think they are still one of my best features. They aren't looking too shabby, if I do say so myself. :lol: But if I had the gene, bye-bye boobies! I wouldn't have to give it a second thought. They have served me well, but keeping them is sure as heck not worth the stress of wondering and sleepless nights, much less my life!

What is the cost of having the test, if you know and are willing to share?

When the beauty pagent woman came forward with her decision to do a prophylactic double mastectomy, I sat right there on my couch with my dh and said I didn't know if I would do that; that it seems drastic, but I don't know. Now my mother was just diagnosed with breast cancer and there is a family history, so I'm considering having the test if my mother does have the test and it shows that she has the gene. :( This has moved rapidly from a theoretical consideration to perhaps a realistic consideration.

My mom's test was originally going to be $4,000 but they were able to isolate the specific test to the BRCA1 and that test only ran $475. In the end, Medicare picked up most of it and she paid $35. I have no idea if my insurance will cover my test or not. I'm waiting to hear. If the test is under $400 they will just run it and bill me. If it's over that, they'll contact me and let me decide. I gather it can vary depending on what you're testing for and who does the testing, but I could be wrong.

From what I understand that might not be good enough. It depends on the type of cancer. I'm referring specifically to ovarian cancer. Meaning, even if your ovaries are gone you can get the cancer if it is a certain type.

I didn't do the genetic test and I probably won't. I was also offered an oophorectomy. I declined. My reasoning is that even having a mother with ovarian cancer there is still a small chance I'd get it. There is also the chance that it wouldn't matter if I had my ovaries removed.

I don't think they know as much about ovarian cancer as they do breast cancer in terms of markers, etc.

From my mom's genetic counseling (and speaking with my doctor as well) this is true. Ovarian cancer (or the same cells) can show up in other places (e.g. the stomach) even if you have the hysterectomy. However, the geneticist told my mom that your odds are greatly decreased with the hysterectomy if done during certain time frames (such as myself, being much younger, it would be more beneficial). Mind you, this was all from quite some time ago, so I hope I haven't gotten it wrong. :p

How on earth can a company patent a gene!?! That's outrageous.

I'm not a huge AJ fan, but I do think that it's very courageous of her to speak out regarding her situation... Awareness of this topic is always a good thing. I have no idea what I'd do in her situation.

From what I understand that might not be good enough. It depends on the type of cancer. I'm referring specifically to ovarian cancer. Meaning, even if your ovaries are gone you can get the cancer if it is a certain type.

I didn't do the genetic test and I probably won't. I was also offered an oophorectomy. I declined. My reasoning is that even having a mother with ovarian cancer there is still a small chance I'd get it. There is also the chance that it wouldn't matter if I had my ovaries removed.

I don't think they know as much about ovarian cancer as they do breast cancer in terms of markers, etc.

I think there is also a major difference in that removing the ovaries has negative side effects. Breasts are a much more visible impact, but once you're done with breastfeeding, they aren't actually doing anything beyond looking pretty. Ovaries produce hormones, and removing them can have serious long-term effects on health.