Menu

Should a formerly homeschooled child be allowed

sueh16

What's the harm?

A child who was presumably homeschooled for 7 years (K through 6) wants to graduate with her friends. The family still pays dues to the group. If this were a child who only started home schooling this year (in 8th Grade) she would be included, but not a child who'd homeschooled 7 years?

Who does it harm to let the girl participate? Saying "no" seems unkind, and rankerously rigid and ideological.

Make the kind choice.

Bill

:iagree:

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would find it a bit odd, but as long as the other graduating seniors don't care, then why not?

Wait a minute... 8'th grade graduation? Then there really could be no harm. I didn't realize homeschoolers even did those. :tongue_smilie:

I'd dig deeper with the family about why this is important to them.

If your group decided to allow it, I would give the family a fairly large volunteer responsibility for the graduation ceremony day (so they would be very helpful). I would also have the child present to the committee for 2 minutes about why she wants to be a part of the graduation (but I'd only do that if you were going to say yes to her - then I'd use it as a chance to encourage her and to explain about the priviledge of being allowed to participate).

Personally, I think if the girl wants to, they can pay and put in hours of work to help make it happen, sure. I think it is a bit silly, but if she wants it bad enough to ask, present about it, and have her family volunteer and help, it's important to her.

This girl has been in a public school for the last two years.

I have been involved in support groups for many years, both directly and indirectly. Believe me when I tell you that simple policies work the best. They don't make everyone happy, but you cannot make everyone happy. You do have to keep it simple.

The policy should be that in order to participate in a graduation ceremony, the child must have been homeschooled for the year in which he will be graduating. Simple. No committee meetings, no exceptions, no one complaining that her child should be able to participate because Soandso's child did even though the circumstances might be different.

Someone who has been enrolled in a campus-based school for the last two years is clearly not a homeschooler *at this time.* She should not be allowed to participate.

Whether or not there should even be a "graduation" ceremony for 8th graders is a whole different topic. When I did my umbrella school, I did NOT offer any sort of special recognition for 8th grade "graduation," even though it was a big deal where I lived in the San Francisco Bay area of California. Some of my families did their own thing, or participated in a group activity, but *I* did not provide any certificates or any sort of recognition.

Believe me when I tell you that simple policies work the best. They don't make everyone happy, but you cannot make everyone happy. You do have to keep it simple.

The policy should be that in order to participate in a graduation ceremony, the child must have been homeschooled for the year in which he will be graduating. Simple. No committee meetings, no exceptions, no one complaining that her child should be able to participate because Soandso's child did even though the circumstances might be different.

absolutely keep a simple policy. I think board members and other leaders have enough to do rather than spend time on evaluating exceptions. This year there may be only one request, but what happens next year and should members of the board really be put in the position of justifying why one person's exception was OK, but not another's. Being a board member or leader is just hard as it is.

On the other hand, my high school graduation was silly. I had to sit with the other people whose last name begins with "W." There's something wrong with other people whose last name begins with "W." No other alphabetical group there felt the need to cheer their place in the alphabet.

One of the reasons I changed my name when I married was so I wouldn't be a "W" anymore.

I don't understand why they would allow it. So a kid (or her mother) WANTS to be part of a special ceremony that doesn't actually concern them? Why on earth would anyone say yes to that? I don't get it. It's not bad to so no to a child who wants something they can't have (and shouldn't be asking for). It's silly to me to think a group should bend their rules because a kid wants extra attention on a day that isn't about them.

Frankly I'm stunned that an adult would actually think to ask. Who does that? I know we haven't homeschooled for two years but can my kids stand up there with yours at graduation? It's a ridiculous request. It the mother and child still feel a part of this group, they are welcome to play a special role - cheering on the people they apparently feel so close to, and helping the OTHER children enjoy THEIR special day from behind the scenes, not up on stage.

I don't understand why they would allow it. So a kid (or her mother) WANTS to be part of a special ceremony that doesn't actually concern them? Why on earth would anyone say yes to that? I don't get it. It's not bad to so no to a child who wants something they can't have (and shouldn't be asking for). It's silly to me to think a group should bend their rules because a kid wants extra attention on a day that isn't about them.

Frankly I'm stunned that an adult would actually think to ask. Who does that? I know we haven't homeschooled for two years but can my kids stand up there with yours at graduation? It's a ridiculous request. It the mother and child still feel a part of this group, they are welcome to play a special role - cheering on the people they apparently feel so close to, and helping the OTHER children enjoy THEIR special day from behind the scenes, not up on stage.

Fwiw, in my state, no credits from homeschooling are ever awarded if a student joins public schooling midway through highschool. So, there are loads of kids who go to ps sometime after the start of Freshman year, but who can never get a ps graduation/diploma. So there are loads of kids who go to ps for up to three or even four years (if there were classes they took prior to ninth grade that are require for a diploma), but then still can't be eligible to graduate from ps. Our community doesnt do hs graduation stuff, but if we did, we'd surely include those kids. We still consider them hs'ers so long as they consider themselves hs'ers.

This girl has been in a public school for the last two years.

I have been involved in support groups for many years, both directly and indirectly. Believe me when I tell you that simple policies work the best. They don't make everyone happy, but you cannot make everyone happy. You do have to keep it simple.

Someone who has been enrolled in a campus-based school for the last two years is clearly not a homeschooler *at this time.* She should not be allowed to participate.

Whether or not there should even be a "graduation" ceremony for 8th graders is a whole different topic. When I did my umbrella school, I did NOT offer any sort of special recognition for 8th grade "graduation," even though it was a big deal where I lived in the San Francisco Bay area of California. Some of my families did their own thing, or participated in a group activity, but *I* did not provide any certificates or any sort of recognition.

I actually agree with you in theory, but in practice I've found that in a small group (I don't know how big this thing is), where you are in a small town or intimate environment (is this such a case?), extending grace and making allowances works better than doing things by policy or the "right way".

I haven't read all the posts on this one, so sorry if this is already been mentioned.

In our state, only kids who have completed 4 years in the PS can graduate. So, if the kid went to PS for only his junior and senior year, he couldn't participate in commencement. In our state, it would not be strange for a PS student (who didn't have all 4 years at a ps) to "graduate" with hs kids in the local hs commencement. (that is, if she wears a below knee length skirt, no earrings, or make-up, or if a boy hair must be shorter than collar lengh--grrrrr :angry: . so will probably exclude my ds- I digress)

-K

Simple policies are always better when dealing with a group. I can see where allowing one kid, who was a homeschooler for her elementary years but not for jr. high (7th and 8th,) to come back and participate in the 8th grade graduation could open the doors to all kinds of strange requests regarding the graduation ceremony.

I would vote to keep it easy and simple, only actively participating homeschool students can graduate with the group.

It wouldn't bother me. I like to think of homeschoolers as welcoming and willing to bend arbitrary rules.

Due to being extremely I'll with Lyme disease, my son was not able to do his last lap on swim team....a VERY BIG deal to him and us....marking years of hard work and dedication! Yesterday, I approached the team supervisor....and she not only was happy to include Carl in his last lap, but invited him to team practice every morning. Not the same as a high school grad....but just, or more important , to him and us. I am blown away and so grateful for their graciousness!

Faithe...who thinks it never hurts anyone to be welcoming and gracious no matter the situation.

An 8th grade graduation? I think that's a bit silly, unless this is as high an education as the homeschooled kids are aiming for. I don't really understand why the kid would want to be part of it, unless it's just to have fun with friends. It seems like a very minor deal. The op said they were still paying dues? Then the group must not have any qualms about taking their money, which seems a bit off to me...so what's the kerfluffle about letting her wear a goofy hat and getting a bit of applause from a group of parents? Maybe they could allow her to be part of the fesivities afterwards?

This. Totally. This group was totally happy to take this family's money (even though they weren't homeschoolers anymore). If the group wants to exclude the kid from the ceremony -- perhaps there should be a refund of the dues they paid for the past couple of years as well. Be consistent.

This. Totally. This group was totally happy to take this family's money (even though they weren't homeschoolers anymore). If the group wants to exclude the kid from the ceremony -- perhaps there should be a refund of the dues they paid for the past couple of years as well. Be consistent.

The OP didn't mention if the family had other children who were still being homeschooled and participating in the group. If they do, that would be a reason they are still paying dues. Many families have children in more than what type of educational atmosphere.

An 8th grade graduation? I think that's a bit silly, unless this is as high an education as the homeschooled kids are aiming for. I don't really understand why the kid would want to be part of it, unless it's just to have fun with friends. It seems like a very minor deal. The op said they were still paying dues? Then the group must not have any qualms about taking their money, which seems a bit off to me...so what's the kerfluffle about letting her wear a goofy hat and getting a bit of applause from a group of parents? Maybe they could allow her to be part of the fesivities afterwards?

I suspect, even though the OP did not state, the family is paying dues because another child is still a homeschooler and still participating. The child in question is not a homeschooler and has not been seen by the OP at the homeschool program's activities. Dues are usually paid by family, not just by child so that is why the family is still paying dues.

Why are we assuming they're just randomly paying "dues" and they don't have any children in the group? Who DOES that? I think based on the reactions in this thread, having the non-Hser recognized at the graduation festivities will only annoy half the people in the group. I would add that there is probably a significant subset of energetic kindergarteners who would enjoy sharing the limelight with the 8th graders, and it wouldn't harm anyone to let them be recognized in a similar way. It would add joy to their day. As to explaining to anyone why they are subject to "arbitrary rules," welcome to high school, college, the workforce, life....

Are most of her friends still in the group? MIddle school can be tough, and if she's still mostly spending time with the kids in the group, I can understand wanting to party with them. And it might well be that the CHILD would be fine with "Sure, come, sit in the row right behind the graduates, applaud your friends, and eat cake/drink punch afterwards". I can think of a lot of kids who would feel "wrong" in actually graduating if they weren't homeschooled that year.

I can't believe this is still a matter of debate.

In 10 or 20 years time who is going to remember the results of this decision, the parent-committe that stuck-to-its-guns and said "No," or the girl who was either included or excluded from the event?

If the committe says "No" will they remain proud of their decision (if they remember it at all) decades from now, or will that realize they "blew it?"

Don't be unkind and stupid.

For whatever reason (like presumably being homeschooled for 7 years and having an attachment to this group) the child wants to be part of the ceremony. A "ceremony" that is just a fun way to mark a right of passage, in any case, and has no "official recognition" outside the group.

Treating a girl who went to school for two years (and presumably homeschooled for 7) like a "leper" for having attended school strikes me as incredibly small-minded and cruel.

Make this decision from the better part of your natures.

Bill

I would add that there is probably a significant subset of energetic kindergarteners who would enjoy sharing the limelight with the 8th graders, and it wouldn't harm anyone to let them be recognized in a similar way. It would add joy to their day.

I'm sure that the 1st graders, 2nd graders, 3rd graders, and so on would also enjoy sharing the limelight, too. :-)

Some support groups do a presentation day at the "end of the school year," where all of the children can share things they did and learned during the year, and their parents can give them certificates of "promotion" and whatnot. That's where kindergarteners should be, not up on stage with children who are being recognized for having completed eight or more years of formal education. JMHO, of course. :-)

It's not easy. And our group doesn't do 8th grade grads, but I'll say I agree once you start making exceptions, you open yourself up to a bunch of problems.

However... we have a girl in our homeschool group (a good friend of DDs) who was homeschooling with us all up until recently when her family's circumstances changed (moved to a small rural town/new jobs). She went to the local school for two years. TWO YEARS, and didn't bond with a single person there. In fact, because she was an outsider she was teased and made fun of. The kinder ones just excluded her. But, she maintained her friendships with DD and other girls in our homeschool group. This year she was able to come back to homeschooling, but next year she will be going back to school again for 8th grade. I can totally see her wanting to graduate with her homeschool friends, and not those idjits that made her life miserable for two years. It makes more sense to me than someone who homeschooled for one year only (in 8th) being allowed to attend the graduation because he/she technically fits the "rules" of the group by being a current homeschooler. **shrug** YMMV

It's not easy. And our group doesn't do 8th grade grads, but I'll say I agree once you start making exceptions, you open yourself up to a bunch of problems.

However... we have a girl in our homeschool group (a good friend of DDs) who was homeschooling with us all up until recently when her family's circumstances changed (moved to a small rural town/new jobs). She went to the local school for two years. TWO YEARS, and didn't bond with a single person there. In fact, because she was an outsider she was teased and made fun of. The kinder ones just excluded her. But, she maintained her friendships with DD and other girls in our homeschool group. This year she was able to come back to homeschooling, but next year she will be going back to school again for 8th grade. I can totally see her wanting to graduate with her homeschool friends, and not those idjits that made her life miserable for two years. It makes more sense to me than someone who homeschooled for one year only (in 8th) being allowed to attend the graduation because he/she technically fits the "rules" of the group by being a current homeschooler. **shrug** YMMV

Bless her heart. :grouphug:

In that case, I'd still not allow her to participate in the graduation program, but I'd throw a really big party and invite all her real friends.

I am in the "what does it really matter at the end of the day" camp. However, I think the bigger issue is that this sort of thing being a big deal is generally a reflection of how big a deal the adults in the situation have made it.

Not having the same 8th grade graduation experience as the rest if your peers does not have to be a traumatic life event. The homeschool experience in and of itself is stepping outside the mainstream experience.

Some kids are more dramatic by nature and will make it a big deal no matter what, (I have a child who is like that), but it seems most children take the cues for these kind of social situations from thier parents.

I can't believe this is still a matter of debate.

In 10 or 20 years time who is going to remember the results of this decision, the parent-committe that stuck-to-its-guns and said "No," or the girl who was either included or excluded from the event?

If the committe says "No" will they remain proud of their decision (if they remember it at all) decades from now, or will that realize they "blew it?"

Don't be unkind and stupid.

For whatever reason (like presumably being homeschooled for 7 years and having an attachment to this group) the child wants to be part of the ceremony. A "ceremony" that is just a fun way to mark a right of passage, in any case, and has no "official recognition" outside the group.

Treating a girl who went to school for two years (and presumably homeschooled for 7) like a "leper" for having attended school strikes me as incredibly small-minded and cruel.

Make this decision from the better part of your natures.

Bill

This is an incredibly rude post. Why must you always people who disagree with you are small minded, stupid, cruel, etc? You don't even participate in this type of group, so I don't think you have a good grasp of the amount of hard work, organization and money often involved. There are potentially good reasons for inclusion or exclusion, depending on a lot of factors not revealed in this thread. In the groups I have been involved with over the course of my 12 years of homeschooling in several states and 2 countries, I can imagine this going either way. For me, it is really situational.

LOL! That's quite an assumption that they will come to know "they blew it". Maybe they will be even more confident that they made the right decision. That's been my experience after serving as committee chairman for over 8 years in a large co-op. But I'm small minded, stupid, and unkind.

This is an incredibly rude post. Why must you always people who disagree with you are small minded, stupid, cruel, etc? You don't even participate in this type of group, so I don't think you have a good grasp of the amount of hard work, organization and money often involved. There are potentially good reasons for inclusion or exclusion, depending on a lot of factors not revealed in this thread. In the groups I have been involved with over the course of my 12 years of homeschooling in several states and 2 countries, I can imagine this going either way. For me, it is really situational.

If the girl's family put 7 years of hard work into the coop, and continued to pay the dues, they have a stake in this, no? It isn't like they were "freeloaders."

That appears to the the "situation." In this situation, it seems really small minded to me to disallow the girl's participation.

How many threads have we had the pleasure to read over the years of school bureaucracies making arbitrary decisions that lack reason and discretion? This instance proves schools are not unique in being bound up in rules and red tape.

I really don't see how participation in a culmination ceremony in any way undermines the coop (one the family has supported to this day). And I think many of the comments and attitudes expressed in this thread are unkind.

Bill

I really don't see how participation in a culmination ceremony in any way undermines the coop (one the family has supported to this day). And I think many of the comments and attitudes expressed in this thread are unkind.

Bill

Perhaps this is where the disconnect lies. Simply not seeing how it can undermine the other families is not the issue. Maybe you will never understand the other side, but that doesn't mean the other side doesn't have a valid issue with it. Why is it that "open minded" people are always open minded when the decision is in agreement with their feelings, but those who have other ideas are "small minded" according to the "open minded" folks?

Really, the decision made in this situation will NEVER make EVERYONE happy. But a decision must be made...and it is up to the committee to make it. We all have opinions of what we would do in the situation - those opinions don't make us small minded or unkind. While I might not agree with someone on this issue, I don't consider that they are mean or stupid. That would be quite small minded and unkind of me.

People make choices. IMO it's not the responsibility of others to make sure that their choices have no negative effects on them.

I emphatically agree with Miss Marple.

Tho I'd never even remotely consider an 8th grade graduation anyways. Heck, all we'll probably do for high school graduation is a nice family dinner and maybe a cake.

Nonsense like this is a major factor in why I have no desire to partake of such insanity inducing events.

If the girl's family put 7 years of hard work into the coop, and continued to pay the dues, they have a stake in this, no? It isn't like they were "freeloaders."

I don't have enough information to make that determination. That is what I was saying. Some people like to jump to conclusions and say what they would do. I do not, not without more information than provided by the OP. I can easily *imagine* reasons on both sides without imagining either side to be stupid or cruel. I do not think that is small-minded.

Tho I'd never even remotely consider an 8th grade graduation anyways. Heck, all we'll probably do for high school graduation is a nice family dinner and maybe a cake.

Nonsense like this is a major factor in why I have no desire to partake of such insanity inducing events.

I have two kids that I am currently homeschooling for high school. They have always been homeschooled. We have never participated in an 8th grade "graduation."

LOL! I did a group graduation once. And that was more than enough for me! Honestly, every mom had an opinion, felt that their student was a musical prodigy and MUST perform, wanted cupcakes instead of cookies, you name it, it was controversial! I'm so glad I was not on the committee to manage that. As it was, I wanted to bail after I experienced the musical prodigies and their work :p I did provide cookies and punch.

Each student set up a tri-fold board that illustrated their accomplishments and had a table for cards, gifts, etc. After the speaker, the display of talents, and the conferring of the diploma, we had cookies and punch and visited all the tables of the students. There were so many kids and so many people that it really felt impersonal. My oldest enjoyed it though, so I endured :) After this affair, individual families organized post-graduation parties. My son felt that he should make an appearance at all his friends' parties. I put my foot down there because I determined that it was family time afterwards - esp. since family had traveled from out of state for the affair. I was the only mom to feel that way :( I guess I'm weird...

DS # 2 and #3 had no group with which to graduate. I asked what they wanted to do. They wanted to have a big party at our home. We attend a fairly small church with lots of homeschoolers. We just invited the whole church and then individuals from the community with whom we were close. The kids played volleyball, basketball, horseshoes, and we had an outdoor movie and the adults sat around and visited. Everyone ate well :) I much prefer this scenario to the first. My last son will graduate with a group of about 7 kids. Not sure what that will entail, but I'm sure it will be a laid-back, casual affair based on the parents I know.

The first was indeed an insanity producing event (or it revealed the levels of insanity in my fellow homeschoolers :) )

My graduate wanted absolutely nothing to do with any kind of ceremony. He does not even desire to attend college graduation for his AS degree. Kinda bummed about that, and still trying to talk him into it for fall.

There was really no clear cut graduation date for him though. He just kind of morphed into a college student by doing dual enrollment and then full time He is now a university junior. I looked at him one day about a year or so ago and said. "Hmmm.... I guess you're a graduate. How about a party?" And he said "No!". lol!

It was sort of a joke--this is my most introverted kid. I've started preparing him in advance (That's what it takes...) for his graduation when he earn his BS.

I can understand and respect why people DON'T do graduation events, parties, celebrations, insert word choice.

But it seems to me that there is some subtle and not-so-subtle scoffing at the idea that others DO have graduation events.

I think the scoffing is at the drama, just my read on those posts.

That appears to the the "situation." In this situation, it seems really small minded to me to disallow the girl's participation.

How many threads have we had the pleasure to read over the years of school bureaucracies making arbitrary decisions that lack reason and discretion? This instance proves schools are not unique in being bound up in rules and red tape.

Bill

I don't get the impression it's the organizers' "hill to die on." They have to make a decision. But blasting people who don't agree with your point of view makes it seem more like YOUR hill to die on. They could recognize each and every grade's "graduation" to the next level, and share the joy, unlike those "arbitrary" brick and mortar schools. It doesn't matter to me if this kid gets a homeschool "diploma" or not, or gets to be in a ceremony, but that doesn't make the job of the group leaders any easier. They have to make a decision and come up with a rationale, "arbitrary" or not.

It is difficult to assess the dynamic of a group unless on has experiences within that group. IME each group is very individual and unique. I don't know the rules, the level of participation of the family, and the commitment they have put into the group previously. Are they participating in activities? Have they contributed to the group in the past? You have not seen this person in three years but have others?

IMO a 8th grade graduation ceremony would not only be a celebration for the child but also for the family. I don't think allowing those who are not homeschooling to participate in a homeschooling specific ceremony would be very fair. Most homeschoolers do not have other options, that is why they have their own ceremonies.

I don't understand why it would be considered unkind...I haven't seen anyone complaining about their children not participating in public school graduation ceremonies. If they have been participating that would be one thing, most co-ops I am familiar with wouldn't have permitted non-homeschoolers to participate. I would say no on that basis but if they have been active and your group doesn't have rules to the contrary then I wouldn't have an objection.

I find it abrasive to see people calling others names when they are unaware of the different dynamics that can be involved.

Bill

Many groups have rules against people who are not homeschooling from participating. Many have rules against people who are virtual schooled from participating. Many co-ops have rules that only people who believe the earth was created in seven days and is 5,000 years old may participate. Some groups bar people who believe in evolution. They bar Mormons, Catholics, and people who let their kids read books with magic.

If you don't think homeschoolers make arbitrary rules then you have been seriously misled.

Many groups have rules against people who are not homeschooling from participating. Many have rules against people who are virtual schooled from participating. Many co-ops have rules that only people who believe the earth was created in seven days and is 5,000 years old may participate. Some groups bar people who believe in evolution.  They bar Mormons,  Catholics, and people who let their kids read books with magic.

If you don't think homeschoolers make arbitrary rules then you have been seriously misled.

I'm becoming convinced homeschool groups can be as messed up in their thinking (maybe a lot more so) than the public schools that are routinely trashed on this forum for having stupid rules.

Bill

I'm becoming convinced homeschool groups can be as messed up in their thinking (maybe a lot more so) than the public schools that are routinely trashed on this forum for having stupid rules.

Bill

Of course, all are run by humans.

But there has been many threads complaining about homeschool groups/co-ops rules.

I'm becoming convinced homeschool groups can be as messed up in their thinking (maybe a lot more so) that the public schools that are routinely trashed on this forum for having stupid rules.

Bill

I believe the phrase you are looking for is "human nature". Homeschoolers are not immune to it!

I believe the phrase you are looking for is "human nature". Contrary to what we like to say, homeschoolers are not immune to it! :p

I guess I'm overly optimistic to think "human nature" can lead people to be kind, compassionate, and generous of spirit.

Bill

I guess I'm overly optimistic to think "human nature" can lead people to be kind, compassionate, and generous of spirit.

Bill

Oh it can do that as well. In fact I think it does it more than we realize because we are so busy yelling about our fellow humans who are experiencing intermittent incompetence/unkindness/etc.

Bill

There are many great groups that are diverse and more welcoming. I love the people I have met since moving.

It seems quite a leap to me to go from "8th grade graduation" to being a "TERRIBLE PERSON!!!!"

I think it is rather unkind to call people names.

I am interested that you posted that homeschoolers should be regulated when participating in ps activities but here you seem to feel that public schooled children should be permitted to participate in homeschool events.

Did you read my post?

I said I thought homeschooled students should have access to opportunities at local schools, such as participating on sports teams. And that, as part of their access, that they should (by some testing or mechanism) show they meet academic elegibility standards (just as a student enrolled in PS would have to do). And the reason I expressed for this would be to keep students who were in danger of failing out of PS from evading the academic requirement by declaring a "homeschool status" that had no academic accountability as an evasion of academic eligibility requirements. That could be a very bad development.

As far as letting homeschooled students who meet the academic standards required of other athletes (which are not that high), I'm all for inclusion. It strikes me as the right move to make these opportunities available to homeschooled kids.

Bill