Menu

Book a Week in 2013 - week fifteen

Robin M

Good Morning, my lovelies! Today is the start of week 15 in our quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks. Welcome back to all our readers, to all those who are just joining in and to all who are following our progress. Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 Books blog to link to your reviews. The link is below in my signature.

52 Books blog - Latin American Poetry: April is National Poetry Month and highlighting the poetry of two Latin American writers - Pablo Nerudo and Gabriel Mistral, both who have won the Nobel Prize for Literature. Also North American poet, Octavio Paz from Mexico City, Mexico who was encouraged by Pablo Neruda to write poetry and won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1990.

Check out NPR's Audiocast of "Does Poetry Still Matter? Yes Indeed"

1Q84 Readalong: Today begins our readalong of Haruki Murakami's 1Q84

The year is 1984 and the city is Tokyo. A young woman named Aomame follows a taxi driver’s enigmatic suggestion and begins to notice puzzling discrepancies in the world around her. She has entered, she realizes, a parallel existence, which she calls 1Q84 —“Q is for ‘question mark.’ A world that bears a question.†Meanwhile, an aspiring writer named Tengo takes on a suspect ghostwriting project. He becomes so wrapped up with the work and its unusual author that, soon, his previously placid life begins to come unraveled.

As Aomame’s and Tengo’s narratives converge over the course of this single year, we learn of the profound and tangled connections that bind them ever closer: a beautiful, dyslexic teenage girl with a unique vision; a mysterious religious cult that instigated a shoot-out with the metropolitan police; a reclusive, wealthy dowager who runs a shelter for abused women; a hideously ugly private investigator; a mild-mannered yet ruthlessly efficient bodyguard; and a peculiarly insistent television-fee collector.

A love story, a mystery, a fantasy, a novel of self-discovery, a dystopia to rival George Orwell’s—1Q84 is Haruki Murakami’s most ambitious undertaking yet: an instant best seller in his native Japan, and a tremendous feat of imagination from one of our most revered contemporary writers.

What are you reading this week?

Link to week 14

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished Faith Hunter's latest book in her Jane Yellowrock series "Blood Trade". Loved this series and sad to get to the end of it and keeping fingers crossed she'll be writing more books for the series. Before diving into 1Q84, reading review book The House at the end of Hope Street by Menna Van Praag released april 4th.

A magical debut about an enchanted house that offers refuge to women in their time of need

Distraught that her academic career has stalled, Alba is walking through her hometown of Cambridge, England, when she finds herself in front of a house she’s never seen before, 11 Hope Street. A beautiful older woman named Peggy greets her and invites her to stay, on the house’s usual conditions: she has ninety-nine nights to turn her life around. With nothing left to lose, Alba takes a chance and moves in. She soon discovers that this is no ordinary house. Past residents have included Virginia Woolf and Dorothy Parker, who, after receiving the assistance they needed, hung around to help newcomers—literally, in talking portraits on the wall. As she escapes into this new world, Alba begins a journey that will heal her wounds—and maybe even save her life.

Still listening to Patricia Briggs Mercedes Thompson series and currently on # 4 Bone Crossed. Exciting to listen to and interesting that I could listen to J.D. Robb's In Death series in bed and fall asleep, but with Briggs, the intensity of her stories are keeping me awake.

I finished Little Brother by Cory Doctorow, and since I've been reading Plot and Structure by James Scott Bell, I'll give you a quote from his book that applies to Little Brother.

It is tempting for a writer to take a theme and force a story into it. This results in a host of problems, including cardboard characters, a preachy tone, a lack of subtlety, and story cliches.

That also goes for Jennifer Government by Max Barry, which I read at the beginning of this year.

I then read Robinson Crusoe by Defoe. I didn't like this either. I thought Crusoe was a pretty despicable character, and most of the story bored me.

I think I'm going to read another chapter of Plot and Structure today, and then I'll start in on 1Q84.

I just finished (#14 for me) The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. And I'm totally kicking myself for waiting so long to read it. A truly wonderful book.

Great book!! I suggested a friend at work read that a few years ago and we're STILL talking about it. You'll have to read A Thousand Splendid Suns, too. He has another book coming out next month, And the Mountains Echoed, that I've got in my cart.

You'll have to read A Thousand Splendid Suns, too. He has another book coming out next month, And the Mountains Echoed, that I've got in my cart.

A Thousand Splendid Suns was already on my to-be-read list, but now it's been moved up. Way up. And yes, I've added the new book to my list, too.

I then read Robinson Crusoe by Defoe. I didn't like this either. I thought Crusoe was a pretty despicable character, and most of the story bored me.

Dd finished Robinson Crusoe today too! Her review pretty much corresponds with yours. I had planned to read it so we could discuss it. Not sure that I even want to try now.;) I think I will just join her on her next book!

I did finish Kitty takes a Holiday today. A fun read! Plan to start 1Q84 tonight.

I just finished (#14 for me) The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. And I'm totally kicking myself for waiting so long to read it. A truly wonderful book.

:iagree:

I loved his other book even more, but I would suggest waiting a few months before reading it, otherwise it's a bit of Afghanistan overkill. I'm delighted to have just learned that he has another one coming out. I love his style of writing.

I read The Autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb and give it 3 Stars. I had no idea that it's based on an actual Mrs. Tom Thumb and thought that it was pure fiction.

I have since tried a few other books, but have given up on each of them since they have failed my 10% Rule ;).

9780385344166.jpg

MY RATING SYSTEM

5 Stars

Fantastic, couldn't put it down

4 Stars

Really Good

3 Stars

Enjoyable

2 Stars

Just Okay – nothing to write home about

1 Star

Rubbish – waste of my money and time. Few books make it to this level, since I usually give up on them if they’re that bad.

When I was reading about Defoe I read that this book was mostly a satire commentary on his views of slavery.

I finished Northanger Abby and then watched the movie yesterday. Second time reading the book but first time watching the movie.

I also finished The End of Faith by Sam Harris. Very thought provoking book. Much to chew on.

I am finishing up "Speaking from Among the Bones" by Alan Bradley. This is the latest of the Flavia de Luce mysteries and this is right up there with the 1st and 3rd one. I loved it! I was afraid after the last one that I was getting tired of Flavia but my love and interest has been revived through this book. I am going to be moving on to Book #26-- "The One World School House" by Salman Khan.

I finished Dorothy Sayers' Gaudy Night, a Harriet Vane/Lord Peter Wimsey mystery. My first Vane. I've read a few of the early Lord Peter Wimsey books and wasn't overly impressed--one I figured out the mystery and after 2 or 3, I still didn't think Wimsey was all that great a character. But I loved this book. Wimsey became human. And I loved Sayers' exploration of women's choices in life and the dichotomy (more so at that time I think) of a life of letters vs. having a family. I think I will seek out the other Harriet Vane books over time.

Almost done with The Eyre Affair on the treadmill (perfect treadmill book for me). And Amazon sent me The Light Between Oceans this week the first day it was out in paperback. I chose it for my book club's May pick--our rule is it must be out in paperback! Hope to finish it quickly to be able to share with others.

Finished: The Connected Child by Karen Purvis, David Cross, and Wendy Sunshine, Trapped by Arthur Roth, Breathless by Lurlene McDaniel, and Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town by Stephen Leacock

Currently Working On:

Downstairs: Daughters in My Kingdom

Upstairs: Charlie Bone and the Shadow by Jenny Nimmo

Kindle: The Man Who Loved Jane Austen by Sally Smith O'Rourke

IPhone: A Flower Blooms in Charlotte by Milam McGraw Propst

Sweet Boy Read Aloud: The Yellow Fairy Book

Angel Girl Read Aloud: The Wind In The Willows

WTM: Don Quixote

IPad: The Purple Land by W. H. Hudson (South America)

Total Finished in 2013: 32

I did not finish reading anything last week. Sigh. Too busy with 4-Hers during the public school spring break. But I am posting so that the thread appears in "my content", a quick check on the interesting things that the rest of you are reading.

Has anyone mentioned that Mary Roach has a new book out? I suspect that Gulp--Adventures on the Alimentary Canal will be insightful and humorous.

Oh, ladies... I'm slacking here! I haven't picked up a book in a week, and even before that not getting in much time. Must be all the time I'm spending obsessing over next year's curriculum choices, LOL!!

That said, I've still finished 23 books this year. Time to pick up the pace again!

But I am posting so that the thread appears in "my content", a quick check on the interesting things that the rest of you are reading.

I learn something new everyday!! Had no idea there was such as thing as "my content". How handy is that?!!

Has anyone mentioned that Mary Roach has a new book out? I suspect that Gulp--Adventures on the Alimentary Canal will be insightful and humorous.

I'm sure it will be insightful and humorous, but I'm shying away from it for fear of being too easily grossed out!

I will be back to post, probably tomorrow, on my reading adventures. Oldest was home for spring break and is off to the airport in a few minutes. After having my youngest home the previous week, my husband quipped last night that we aren't empty nesters but instead are running a bed and breakfast!

I've finished 2 books of the past couple of weeks and got the reviews posted today: book #13 - The Coral Island by Ballantyne and book #14 - The Neverending Story by Ende.

To Be Read

A Tale of Two Cities by Dickens (I'm supposed to be ready to discuss this one and haven't started yet)

I still have a large backlog of library books waiting. Hopefully, I get to some this week.

Ongoing Books

The One Year Bible

The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Aiken

Finished for 2013

12. The Magician's Nephew by Lewis

11. The Children of Green Knowe by

10. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Twain

9. Chitty Chitty Bang Bangby Fleming

8. Oliver Twist by Dickens

7. The Lightning Thief by Riordan

6. Children of the New Forest by Marryat

5. The Black Cauldron by Alexander

4. Anne of Avonlea by Montgomery

3. Anne of Green Gables by Montgomery

2. Talking Money by Chatzky

1. Pride and Prejudice by Austen

Oldest was home for spring break and is off to the airport in a few minutes. After having my youngest home the previous week, my husband quipped last night that we aren't empty nesters but instead are running a bed and breakfast!

Thanks for the chuckle! I hope you enjoyed your 'guests'!

Regards,

Kareni

This week I managed to finish three books:

#18 - The Little Bookstore of Big Stone Gap: A Memoir of Friendship, Community, and the Uncommon Pleasure of a Good Book, by Wendy Welch. I wrote a tad about this last week when I was about midway through. I had mixed feelings then; still do. Enjoyed the story of how they came to open a book store coming from a totally clueless business background. Didn't enjoy the style of writing - too chatty and too much space taken with philosophizing over various topics, some remotely related to reading and books.

#19 - Sugarhouse: Turning the Neighborhood Crack House into Our Home Sweet Home, by Matthew Batt. My second borrowed Kindle book. Not what it sounded like. Was reviewed as an hilarious account of a non-mechanical man's attempt to renovate his first purchased home - a major fixer-upper. While it had a smattering of funny parts, these were usually ruined by unnecessary gutter vocabulary. The book seemed to be more about the *renovations* needed in the lives of the author and various family members. Their stories were what ultimately kept me reading because I wanted to know if everything turned out alright for the people. At points, you wondered, just how much more can one family take.

#20 - The Wednesday Letters, by Jason F. Wright. An easy-reading page turner with some predictability. A sweet concept - a promise given by a newly wed husband to write to his beloved wife every Wednesday of their lives - reveals the whole truth. A story of love, grace, and forgiveness.

Planning to start later today:

#21 - Raney, by Clyde Edgerton.

I'm currently rereading Patricia Briggs' Cry Wolf (Alpha and Omega, Book 1) which is book one (after a novella introduction in On the Prowl). The Alpha and Omega series is a favorite of mine. I like it even more than the Mercedes Thompson series, Robin, though I enjoy that one, too.

Regards,

Kareni

I read the first two - Cry wolf and Hunting Ground a few years back. Packed away somewhere. Will have to dig out and reread. Remembered enjoying them.

I read The Autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb and give it 3 Stars. I had no idea that it's based on an actual Mrs. Tom Thumb and thought that it was pure fiction.

9780385344166.jpg

Looks quite interesting. Will check it out.

Call me boring. I am on my 2nd round through the Family Solutions study guide, taking detailed notes as I go. How many times can I count it?

Keep plugging away. Rereads count as well as non fiction. So twice in my eyes so far. When's the exam?

I finished Bitch in a Bonnet. The author was preaching to the choir with me, because I never thought of Austen as a romance novelist. I mostly enjoyed how he went through each chapter (or group of chapters) until I got near the end. It's obvious he doesn't like Mansfield Park yet it seemed as if he spent the most amount of time critiquing this book. I don't like the book either, and it was getting tedious for me to read about how tedious Mansfield Park is to read. I would give it 3 stars, which in my universe means I liked it but didn't love it.

I'm listening to The Three Musketeers - This is an Amazon Whispersync version, which means I can switch back and forth between the audiobook and Kindle book and will be at the right place in each one.

I'm reading:

The Black Count, The Scorch Trials, and 1Q84.

I just finished Don't Cry for Me (Rebel Ridge Novels) by Sharon Sala; it was a romantic suspense novel.

"Mariah Conrad has come home. Badly wounded on active duty in Afghanistan and finally released stateside, she has no family to call on and nowhere to go—until Quinn Walker arrives at her bedside. Quinn…her brother-in-arms, ex-lover and now maybe her future.

Quinn brings Mariah to his log cabin in the Appalachian Mountains of Kentucky to rest and recuperate both physically and emotionally. While she's incredibly grateful, Mariah is also confused and frustrated. She's always stood on her own two feet, but now even that can literally be torture. She's having flashbacks and blackouts, hearing helicopter noises in the night. She wants to push Quinn away—and hold him closer than ever.

But will she get the chance? Those helicopters are more than just post-traumatic stress; they're real—and dangerous. Bad things are happening on the mountain. Suddenly there's a battle to be fought on the home front, and no guarantee of survival."

It was interesting to read a story which featured a female vet's struggles with PTSD. I may look for other books in this same series.

Regards,

Kareni

I don't post often, but check here often for reading suggestions...

Just had to share the latest book I read. It was AWESOME! Best book I've read in years!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Keeper-Novel-Kate-Morton/dp/1439152802/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1365382608&sr=1-1&keywords=secret+keeper

The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton

I can't even explain how good this book was. WWII, murder, family secrets, twists I would have never expected. If anyone else has read this book, I'm dying to discuss it with someone. It was just A-MAZE-ING.

Not a bad week overall, I had some extra time, we took a break of sorts this week. I'm still working through the Kitty Norville series, currently on book six. I had to take a detour when some new releases came out. Thrill Ride brought tears to my eyes, which doesn't happen often. Blood Trade was a good continuation of the series. I am getting slightly frustrated with Jane's love life, it's the same old same old, but the action continues. I wrapped Saturday night up with a free harlequin. :lol:

Week 14

72. Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn.

73. Kitty Goes to Washington by Carrie Vaughn.

74. Kitty Kitty Takes a Holiday by Carrie Vaughn.

75. Kitty and the Silver Bullet by Carrie Vaughn.

76. Thrill Ride (Black Knights Inc.) by Julie Ann Walker.

77. Blood Trade (A Jane Yellowrock Novel) by Faith Hunter.

78. A Seal's Seduction by Tawny Weber.

Haven't had a lot of reading time the past few days. (The kids & I just drove to Washington D.C. for spring break. So, I may not have much reading time this week.)

I'm still working on the Pink Carnation book. And, I managed to find about 10-15 minutes to read today, so I started 1Q84.

I finished reading 1984 last night. It was going along pretty well, and then I hit part 2 and had to read through pages and pages of the book with Winston. What a slog fest that was for me. I fell asleep several times over several days trying to read that. And then came part 3. I kept thinking, how is he going to get out of this/how is he going to be saved and the world put all back to rights again?? Yeah, well. That was a very scary read, and now I want to put electrical tape over my laptop's webcam so Big Brother can't watch me while I commit thoughtcrime here. *paranoid*!

I am looking forward to the read along of 1Q84. I have only gotten a few pages read, but it seems like it is going to be very interesting. Oh, does anyone else keep calling this book i-q 84? I can't stop calling it that, even though I know that is a 1 at the beginning. lol

The Round Up:

24. 1984

23. This Book is Full of Spiders

22. Little House on the Prairie

21. Evolutionism and Creationism

20. John Dies at the End

19. Much Ado About Nothing

18. Little House in the Big Woods

17. Hooked

16. Anne of the Island

15. Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen

14. Anne of Avonlea

13. Anne of Green Gables

12. The Invention of Hugo Cabret

11. The Swiss Family Robinson

10. Little Women

9. How We Get Fat

8. The Djinn in the Nightingale's Eye

7. Outlander

6. The New Atkins for a New You

5. A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows

4. Liberty and Tyranny

3. Corelli's Mandolin

2. The Neverending Story

1. The Hobbit

Finally finishing up the audio version of Life of Pi. Once I saw the movie I was compelled to read the book. I'm so glad I stuck with it. I think I will use some of the author's descriptions of ocean and sky for the middle school writing class I'm teaching with CC next year. So much of this story keeps me thinking late into the evening.

I'm curious about joining the 1Q84 group but I've read mixed revues and I'm not sure it's my cuppa. I'll be interested to see what everyone thinks of this one.

I finished A Man for All Seasons last night. I'm interested to see the 1966 film now, too, and see what they did to the staging. Compared to Hilary Mantel's portrayal of Thomas More, Robert Bolt's is very sympathetic. The audiobook of Wolf Hall that I listened to (which was incredibly well performed) had Thomas More speaking in a snide little sneering voice, which certainly colored my opinion of him.

I am trying to read (listen to) The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer. I am really struggling to get into it. I will try harder.

I'm also reading 1Q84, but I've just barely started.

I just finished Faith Hunter's latest book in her Jane Yellowrock series "Blood Trade". Loved this series and sad to get to the end of it and keeping fingers crossed she'll be writing more books for the series. Before diving into 1Q84, reading review book The House at the end of Hope Street by Menna Van Praag released april 4th.

Still listening to Patricia Briggs Mercedes Thompson series and currently on # 4 Bone Crossed. Exciting to listen to and interesting that I could listen to J.D. Robb's In Death series in bed and fall asleep, but with Briggs, the intensity of her stories are keeping me awake.

Two of my favorite series!! Just found the Kitty Norville's too, on book 6. The first one isn't great but it was engaging enough to stick with them, glad I did.

Along those lines too, Kate Daniels, October Daye and Dresden Files if you enjoy the genre.

I am so behind, but I don't want to give up on the challenge because I know I will read more if I stay involved in these threads! I love to read, I just feel like I don't have enough time. Anyway, this week I finished reading The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown. The author is a researcher who studied the effects of shame on people's lives and the book comes out of the results of that research. It was definitely thought provoking, although I wish she had provided more specific examples from her research to illustrate the principles she introduces. I am discussing the book with some friends IRL, which makes it more interesting. Elaine

I am so behind, but I don't want to give up on the challenge because I know I will read more if I stay involved in these threads! I love to read, I just feel like I don't have enough time. Anyway, this week I finished reading The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown. The author is a researcher who studied the effects of shame on people's lives and the book comes out of the results of that research. It was definitely thought provoking, although I wish she had provided more specific examples from her research to illustrate the principles she introduces. I am discussing the book with some friends IRL, which makes it more interesting. Elaine

Don't think of yourself as being behind; think of yourself as being ahead in the Book-of-the-Month club. That's how I'm justifying still posting.

I finished James' Portrait of a Lady, which was vastly better than when I read it as a callow youth with no life experience to draw on. So many books are.

I'm currently reading both Volume 2 of Newman's Historical Sketches, and Christopher Isherwood's Mr Norris Changes Trains. It was written in 1935 and set in Germany, and it's strange to see Hitler and the Nazi party referred to in rather an offhand way, as just another set of political actors. Not that that's the strangest thing about this book.

Oh, does anyone else keep calling this book i-q 84? I can't stop calling it that, even though I know that is a 1 at the beginning. lol

Yes! Me! I thought it was just me! I've been calling it i-q-8-4.

I keep doing that. I start so many things that I can't focus properly on any of them, and then I have to sit down and pare down my stack and then pick one or two and give them my full attention for a little while. There are just so many things I want to be reading *right now*! I sometimes grab two or three and curl up somewhere away from all the other sirens, and try to throw myself into the top one... if it doesn't work, I set it aside for another week/month/year/ (lifetime?) and try the next one. I don't usually make it to a third.

I'm trying, I'm trying.

I also very much liked your explanation of your methodology for reading through a period/subject. I appreciate you taking the time to explain!!

I loved this book. I also really enjoyed Walking Across Egypt by Clyde Edgerton. Elaine

Walking Across Egypt is laugh out loud funny!

If you ever have a chance to hear Edgerton at a reading, he'll probably have his banjo with him. He is a very personable guy.

Finished This Week

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern - I know that most people have read this already, so won't go into it too much. I was just amazed, though, at how fresh and creative this book was to me. I enjoyed it very much.

Finished this Year:

31. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (Audio)

30. Waiting: The True Confessions of a Waitress by Debra Ginsberg

29. The Good House by Ann Leary

28. The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid (audio; Continents Challenge: Asia)

27. A Spiderweb for Two by Elizabeth Enright (Read Aloud)

26. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain (Audio)

25. Wheat Belly by William Davis (gave up wheat 3/11/13; 7 pounds lost to date)

I don't post often, but check here often for reading suggestions...

Just had to share the latest book I read. It was AWESOME! Best book I've read in years!!!

http://www.amazon.co...s=secret keeper

The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton

I can't even explain how good this book was. WWII, murder, family secrets, twists I would have never expected. If anyone else has read this book, I'm dying to discuss it with someone. It was just A-MAZE-ING.

We read that for my ladies book club last year and all loved it. Kate Morton was in town and we got to meet her and get our books signed.

I finished reading 1984 last night. It was going along pretty well, and then I hit part 2 and had to read through pages and pages of the book with Winston. What a slog fest that was for me. I fell asleep several times over several days trying to read that. And then came part 3. I kept thinking, how is he going to get out of this/how is he going to be saved and the world put all back to rights again?? Yeah, well. That was a very scary read, and now I want to put electrical tape over my laptop's webcam so Big Brother can't watch me while I commit thoughtcrime here. *paranoid*!

My dh keeps a post-it over the webcam on his laptop. :lol:

Christopher Isherwood's Mr Norris Changes Trains. It was written in 1935 and set in Germany, and it's strange to see Hitler and the Nazi party referred to in rather an offhand way, as just another set of political actors. Not that that's the strangest thing about this book.

That sounds interesting.

I started reading a child anxiety book but the book is NOT discribing my child. At all. He has a major phobia of one thing. Other than that he is not an anxious kid. Her steps for overcoming phobia don't seem to apply either. Sigh. Giving up on the book. It's not going to help.

That was a very scary read, and now I want to put electrical tape over my laptop's webcam so Big Brother can't watch me while I commit thoughtcrime here. *paranoid*!

At least now you know what it means when people talk about Big Brother. :)

My dh keeps a post-it over the webcam on his laptop. :lol:

Are either of you Doctor Who fans? Did you watch The Bells of St. John? :lol:

:cursing: :cursing: :cursing: I just lost all my quotes from other peoples' replies and my reply.

This week I'm reading Love Life: for Every Married Couple, Hearts of Horses and The Swerve. My timer rang just as I lost my other reply, so sorry, no links and I can't go back and re-find the posts I wanted to reply specifically to.

:crying: :crying: :crying: Then I somehow ended up posting this on the wrong week.

Relax, I'm exaggerating my emotion, although I have cried and cussed more than once over the course of my life. (I hate the cussing, though.)