Menu

$200 and Keeping it Simple

WWYD if you had about $200 a year to spend for 2 kids (8 yo and 9 yo) and needed to keep things simple? How would YOU do it? I'm channeling equal parts Thoreau (Simplify! Simplify!) and my Depression-era grandparents (Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.)

We have a small home, so I'd like to limit my curriculum to one bookshelf. (eta: to clarify, that's one SHELF on a bookshelf) We also have a small income, hence the budget. :) I own an overabundance of curriculum at the moment and it is detracting from our homeschool. I need ONE math resource to use and make work. ONE grammar resource, etc.

Some things I'm thinking about: Multi-grade/ungraded books, using free science videos (e.g. Exotic Pet Vet tv show), and... I'm not sure what else. Using the library, of course, for most (all?) reading books. Our library system is pretty good, so that's a plus.

So... anyone want to play? How would you make this budget work?

I think there are GREAT, FANTASTIC free and cheap curriculums.

I would use MEP for math and KISS for grammar.

I'd use my library for science, history, and reading. Guesthollow blog now has a virtual history bookshelf that could definitely help to put together a free if you use the library lit based program.

I'd also use vintage stuff that I could get for free. We are using a vintage spelling program next year.

I think $200 is totally doable if necessary

I would probably use Rod & Staff for grammar and writing, expanding with resources from the Internet. Spelling lists can be found online.

History would probably be Story of the World, using supplements found online

Science - lots of free resouces online, probably using something like the Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia for a spine

Math would be Singapore, as that is what worked best at that age for us.

I would add nature study, Art & Music with Harmony Fine Arts

Language study might be the biggest expense.

There are plenty of free resources online, sometimes the biggest challenge is narrowing down and using what will work best for your family.

I would place priority on good writing and math sources. Foreign language would be the next priority.

Fun!

Those ages you can easily combine for almost EVERYTHING.

Writing With Ease - one workbook and a set of extra student pages. On Amazon the workbook is only $23 and some change; add in a set of student pages and you'll look at about $38 for writing for both. $38

Mr. Q's Life Science - FREE

Story of the World with an activity book, purchased from Amazon. $33

Grammar - First Language Lessons level 3, from Amazon. $33

Math - Math Mammoth downloads. If they are working on the same level, about $30; if they need different levels, about $60.

That leaves you some room to purchase fun art supplies for science and history.

I don't think I'm spending too much more than that this year:

Spalding $48 (WRTR, Phonogram cards, Spelling Assessment Manual)

WWE $52 (PDF downloads)

Miquon $20 (Orange, Red, and Teacher's Notes from CurrClick)

SOTW $41 (PDF downloads)

Apologia Zoology I $63 (teacher & Jr. notebooking)

-------------------------------------------

Total: $224

The rest will be books I've already collected, perhaps some supplementing with CHOLL on history, visits to the bird sanctuary to supplement the Zoology (birds). Music - I've downloaded a bunch of free resources from earlier posts here, and I have a lot of CDs. Lessons - we'll see. Art - I'm not doing anything formal with creating art, but may add in some books on art appreciation. She has lots of supplies and does lots of her own version of art. I'm good with that for now.

Is this assuming I've got all the stuff I've got now or do I have to start from scratch?

Honestly, if I've got the things I've got, it wouldn't be too hard at this point, at least not for a couple of years. Both my boys are in need of math for next year. I would do MEP with one and buy the rest of Beast Academy for the other ($54) and supplement with stuff we already have and with free online worksheets for extra practice on basic operations. I would continue with Bravewriter. We've got history books and I would get all our supplemental literature and books for history and science at the library, which is basically what I do now. I would need to buy AAS4 and 5 ($80) at the least. We might get the next book for logic ($18 for both boys). And then I'd probably keep the rest for a rainy day - for when something unexpected and cool came up. And that would be that.

Of course, we would still need to pay for transportation about town and paper, glue and markers. That's something.

ETA: I think I would struggle to do this in the upper grades. Literature and history I could swing. But while there are some great free, open source texts coming out and there may be more by then, I think I would have a lot of trouble covering math and science at the high school level without spending much.

That's not much less than our budget is! I probably spend maybe $300 a year for 1 kiddo, but could easy do 2 for that cost. If I really had to, I could go lower pretty easy too - if I cut out extra reading books I could do $100 a year easy. I don't use ANY of the free stuff out there either - couldn't find any I liked. I don't use the library either - it was too costly in terms of fines, etc because we never got the books back in on time.

Here are our tricks:

We use Sonlight, and buy as much used as possible. I scout thrift shops, used book sales, etc to find books for UPCOMING cores - I normally pay maybe .50 to $1 a book - often less. I carry a SL catalog with me 95% of the time, so I can instantly refer back to it to see if a book is SL or not. I also have ALL the books I still need for the next 2 cores in line on my Paperbackswap Wishlist - and I do get quite a few that way. I use dd's outgrown thin kids books to swap for credits as they generally cost under $2 to ship. Often I will go on the forums there and post a list to see if I can get 1 big shipment for multiple credits rather than shipping individual books which is costlier.

For things I can't find used at a thrift shop, through PBS, etc - I do Swagbucks, Irazoo, slickdeals survey board, and a few other survey sites to get Amazon Gift Cards. I then use the Amazon GC for things like our math workbooks, handwriting books, etc that very rarely come up used. I ONLY purchase right before we are going to use them, as you never know what you will find used. I also occasionally will use the Amazon GC as payment for a private sale - i.e. SL IG's that have to be purchased new or used.

For the few items that I have to purchase new from SL, I head to convention. They give out $15 off of $50 coupons at convention booths. I normally get an extra catalog or 2 for "friends", and then split my SL order into $50 increments and use the coupons. I do give the catalogs out through the year, and always mark through the discount codes to show they have been used.

For school supplies, I generally buy only during the back to school sales, or the clearance that happens right afterwards. We are also blessed to have a local event where kids can get a backpack full of school supplies. We do that event every year, which helps a lot. I know in my area, there are LOTS of these type events, and many people go to more than 1 so they get extra supplies.

Also, if you have a local homeschool center, check to see if they do scholarships. Ours does - we haven't used it, but I know others who have.

I'd use a great Booklist with living books for history, science, language arts, and literature. We use CM Help's website for free book lists for all of the above. I'd also learn how to implement grammar, spelling, Copywork, and memorization from the living books directly. I'd plan to spend time reserving those books from the library for each term. I'd also plan art instruction for each term and check out books on how to draw, for example, and other resources. I'd also check out classical music for music study.

Math, art instruction, and science can be done via Khan and Watch.Know.Learn (free videos), and other online resources.

I'd probably spend the $200 on supplies, such as paper, toner and ink, art supplies, etc.

Two things that really keep me from buying curricula are the iPad and kindle. If you can buy a good tablet, you can use it to check out digital/audio books from your library, as well as a Spanish program, and the kids can use it directly from the table for instructional videos on everything from math and science to art and music. I'd probably use the $200 to search for a used/refurbished tablet, even if it's an older one. My kids are getting a very rich education and we've hardly had to spend anything on curricula lately.

Since you say you already have a ton of curricula and therefore aren't starting from scratch it sounds doable to me. First, can you tell us what you already have and would like to use? For instance, do you already have SOTW? Do you have a good selection of reference books? What about math- do you already have a program you'd like to keep using or are you looking for something new? It would make sense, IMO, to start with what you already have and then go from there. When planning for next year I started by using what I already had and then I'll purchase whatever I need to fill in the gaps.

For instance, these are my plans for my 8 year old next fall:

SOTW w/activity guide (already own) $0.00

Usborne Encyclopedia of World History (already own) $0.00

Math Mammoth (already own) $0.00

Sequential Spelling (already own) $0.00

Smart Art: Learning to Classify and Critique Art (already own) $0.00

One World, Many Religions (already own) $0.00

Evan Moor Daily Science $22

FLL3 $34

Writing Tales $35

Song School Latin $22:

Total = $113

Obviously, YMMV depending upon what you already have on your shelves. It also doesn't include the cost of his piano lessons, piano books, choir fees and a couple of classes he takes, but those things are optional even though I still consider them part of his schooling.

Additionally, I'm always picking up good books at library book sales, Goodwill, etc so we have a good home library built up. I'm always bringing home new books but rarely spend more than a dollar or two at a time, so I don't even count that into the budget. It's literally pocket change. We also have a fabulous public library, and that helps to fill in any of the gaps.

This is all for next fall. I wish I could do Oak Meadow 4, but it's way too expensive. If I find a way to get the syllabus, etc. for a great price, I might be able to do it. But, in case I can't this is the plan I've sketched out as of today (subject to change):

I'm thinking of continuing to use Math Mammoth for math. That wouldn't take up any space on my single bookshelf, except for one file folder with a week's worth of work printed out. It's also only $65 for grades 4 through 6 download. 8 yo DD uses Dreambox ($12/mo - not sure if I can transfer her current license if we got the HSBC deal, but it would be a LOT cheaper). I've requested How to Tutor from the library, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it addresses math, especially. It would be nice if I could use it as a stand-alone or in conjunction with MM. Again, it would keep things simple, simple, simple.

As for writing, I dislike traditional methods of teaching writing and I refuse to waste my time on teaching the (useless, except in school) "five paragraph essay." I appreciate SWB's approach to teaching writing, but 9 yo DD will have NONE of it. Figures. I might use a pencil, paper and my brain to teach her how to write. I mean, she CAN write, she just doesn't like to write on command ("doesn't like," ha. HUGE understatement). The book Write On looks promising and fits my criteria: effective, multi-grade, and inexpensive.

I own Sonlight core D, but it seems like overkill to me. I might just make notes on the order of the books and ditch the IG. I can get almost all of the books from the library. OR I could splurge on SOTW and the AG. Decisions, decisions....

I found Rod and Staff English 3 teacher's manual at the thrift store for a buck. Score!! It will be very easy to teach straight from the TM without the student books, so that's that.

Science.... blech. I never know what to do. Lately we've been watching vet surgeries on youtube, because older DD wanted to see a cat being spayed. We also found the Exotic Pet Vet channel which is extremely cool (watched them repair an owl's broken wing). We also have many, many experiment books. I could pare it down to the Mr. Wizard book and Totally Irresponsible Science.

Oh, and as always, I've forgotten spelling. Natural Speller - a skinny, multi-grade, easy to use book. Done.

Ok, so now we'll examine the shelf and the cost. The hypothetical shelf would consist of:

• Rod & Staff English 3 TM ($1-used),
  • Write On ($20),
  • Natural Speller ($12 - used),
  • How to Tutor ($5-used),
  • a file folder for math print outs (MM is $65 for 3 grades)
  • 2 science experiment books ($0 - already own)
  • SOTW 1 w/AG ($30) or a single piece of paper with the SL booklist. Cost: $133

Nice. Thorough, but not overwhelming. I'll have room to breathe. Oh, and if this works, next year I'd only have to be the next level of R&S English, SOTW 2 w/AG, so ... $50 or so for next year.

Also, if they like lapbooking or notebooking, there are a ton of free unit and lapbooking studies here. http://www.homeschoolshare.com/Lapbooks_at_HSS.php

We are doing some now for history and science and love them. Mr. Q's science is free for the first book and I would have loved to use it, but think it is a little old for my 11 year old. Would be perfect for yours though I think. Also, do you have a public school book depository? You can often get free textbooks there and then you can add to them with worksheets/lapbooking/unit studies you find online for free.

For science, we're going to try Mr. Q's Chemistry, since we did life science last year; it's $50 right now, but it was $25 around the holidays, and for two kids, that's really good for me (especially since it's all planned out for me, which means it may actually get done). If you have a tablet or e-reader, or if you don't mind reading it from a computer monitor, that would be even better, because otherwise, it's a lot to print.

Otherwise, for science, I'd just use library books and videos, or online stuff. My evaluator would suggest just having the kids write a few sentences about whatever they're read/watched. One of DD's samples for science this year is writing about going to see our baby on an ultrasound; last year, we took our then-infant for an echocardiogram on his heart, so I could have followed that up with a simple diagram of the heart off of the internet. Handbook of Nature study is available online for free, and you can join the email list where they'll send you the outdoor challenges for free. I think at least some of the Burgess books are online for free too, and at least for the bird one, there's the site with a collection of bird videos that is aligned with the Burgess Bird Book.

Check your library sales too; I scored Physics Lab in a Housewares Store years ago (like, when my oldest child was 4) for about fifty cents, and it, plus some drawings or writings, should make a decent science program too. But I'd just take the kids to the library and let them pick out a bunch of books on sciencey topics and call it good (which is what I really ought to do anyway). Things like the Eyewitness books are good for sparking interest in topics. You can make simple notebooking sheets or lab note sheets for experiments, without having to buy a full science program.

CurrClick had a really nice bird packet a couple of years ago, for free, and though I probably could have just picked up library books, it was nicely organized and did the work for me (and included worksheets for the portfolios): http://www.currclick.com/product/23381/Birds?it=1

Ask around and see if any friends have the butterfly habitat (or ladybugs or frogs or whatever); then you could just buy the butterflies and read some books. When we did that, I had the kids keep a log on a calendar with pictures of the creatures' developments.

We have to do fire safety every year, so this year, I googled something like "free fire safety worksheet" and printed off a couple of them -- easy and done.

For health/safety (and also for science), the Army Corps of Engineers will send you a free DVD (and there are free PDF printable worksheets to go with it) about water safety; it's a little hokey but full of good information. I would email the person on this page and ask how you can get it: http://watersafety.usace.army.mil/

I would combine as much as possible. SOTW with guide, Apologia science or library books on topics of their choice, WWE and FLL. I like Logic of English or Spell to Write and Read but those can be pricey. I'd probably try to find them used or use something like Spelling Workout. I like CLE or Saxon for math.

I am not able to teach a year without context to what I'm planning for the following years.

I'd have to first create a multiyear plan on 2 shelves that came to about $200.00 a year, but in total came to more than that. Then I would start prioritizing which of those books I would buy first.

I'd buy what I could, and use the library to fill in holes. If necessary I'd double up lessons in books I had, if I was short on books I was needing to wait for. Then when I got those books, I'd drop the ones I had been doubling up on, to double up on the ones I had waited for.

Now saying that, I'll work on my list.

Hmmm....my list is pretty long :tongue_smilie: It's less than 2 shelves I think, though. These are the things I'm currently planning to use over the next few years.

ORIGINAL Doubleday hardback What Your _ Grader Needs to Know series grades 1-6. The covers are sponge painted and there are no children on them. There are not pre-school or kindergarten books in the original series.

How to Tutor

Alpha-Phonics

Don Potter's free supplemental pdfs for Alpha-Phonics and more here

First Readers Anthology published by Don Potter

American Heritage Student Thesaurus (matches DP phonograms)

American Heritage Student Dictionary (matches DP phonograms)

Simply Charlotte Mason Delightful Handwriting teacher's manual.

WRTR 6th edition Handwriting instructions

Spelling Plus

Dictation Resource Book

Write On! by Karen Newell

Writer's Toolbox by Nancy Loewen

McGuffey's Eclectic Readers (the blue and gold hardcovers)

McGuffey's Audios from audible.com or CBD

Reading and Thinking Book 1

Arithmetic Made Simple

Ray's Arithmetic

How to Tutor workbooks and the main text mentioned above

National Geographic Beginner's Atlas

Draw Write Now (especially the geography)

Using Color in Your Art

Ed Emberley's Funprint Drawing Book

Let's Draw Happy People

Jumbo Book of Music

Berlitz Self Teacher French

Say It Right in French

See it and Say it in French

GrapeVine Stick Figuring Through the Bible Level 1-2 teacher's manuals.

Yesterday's Classics ebooks

Heritage History ebooks

Free and $0.99 Whispersync audiobooks from audible.com

Magic School Bus videos

Quality mechanical pencils

Prang 64 Crayons (I buy mine from Rainbow Resource)

School Smart Cursive Notebook Paper

Simply Poly Binders (only shown in colors here, but I buy clear ones)

And for ME:

TWTM first edition 1999 (Amazon is showing the wrong cover so be careful!)

Teaching the Trivium

Guide to American Christian Education

How to Write a low-cost/no-cost Curriculum

The Complete Home Learning Source Book

The Core

Simply Charlotte Mason Mathematics

Waldorf Essentials Kindergarten and Early Years

African Waldorf Pdfs (Christian friendly and low cost ideas)

There have been some things that I have used for decades now, that I am not planning on using anymore.

It's been hard to leave behind using the KJV as my primary literature book and the core of unit studies. To use it effectively, I tend to use a lot of resource books, and I just don't want to be reliant on such a large resource library anymore.

I also taught a lot of classical languages and invested a lot of time and money into learning/teaching them.

I've changed. Times have changed. I'm teaching different students. I've decided to focus on what my students need to know in daily life and to prepare for junior college, and to teach those things well, and stop getting distracted by things that are not giving me the same bang for the buck as they did in the past.

Instead of the KJV being the center or all studies, I'm using McGuffeys as the main reading curriculum, and NtK as the core curriculum. I'm switching from classical languages to French.

I'm pulling way back in composition and grammar and teaching a LOT less, but teaching it to mastery. I'm focusing on the most generic writing skills and teaching very few different types of writing.

Hmmm...

I'd probably go with-

math mammoth

grammar land + free worksheets + KISS, depending on what level of grammar your kids are at

homemade copywork, CM style

Phonics Pathways as a spelling book

SOTW+AG

BFSU science

library books for all else

I would want to have a good globe and world atlas on hand as well, and just do map work as it comes up in reading.

Do you have access to an awesome library system? If not, I would find one and pay to use it with part of that $200. I save thousands in books and DVDs by driving a little over an hour to St. Louis every month. I order books, renew, etc. online. HTH!

ETA: Never mind, I see you have a decent library.

I think there are GREAT, FANTASTIC free and cheap curriculums.

I would use MEP for math and KISS for grammar.

I'd use my library for science, history, and reading. Guesthollow blog now has a virtual history bookshelf that could definitely help to put together a free if you use the library lit based program.

I'd also use vintage stuff that I could get for free. We are using a vintage spelling program next year.

I think $200 is totally doable if necessary

What spelling program? Curious minds want to know!

• 1 month later...

It would depend on the topics needing to be covered and the grade level.

However, I think the internet and library would be invaluable tools to keeping on budget.

There are INVALUABLE tools to accomplishing this online!!! I am always shocked at how much is accessible for free.

I already have school supplies, binders, Publisher, lots of books, creativity...

I would likely pay for Netflix, maybe pay for some online program(s), and spend the rest on art supplies. =)

You can use one resource for multiple purposes. For example, we use Explode The Code for phonics, spelling and handwriting practice. This works beautifully and is pretty cheap. Your kids are older so it may not work, but perhaps there are other resources you have that could do double duty.

An inexpensive or used kindle would give you access to TONS of free (or less than $2) books for read alouds (plus you still get to snuggle up on the couch, and there is no risk of overdue fines).

Sell some of what you have. Craigslist is a free and painless way to start. Look on Craigslist for used books and curriculum.

You don't have to buy it all at once. We get what we need to start the year and then buy the next workbook, read aloud, unit guide etc. as we need it. This staggers the expense and reduces the waste (and guilt) if it doesn't work out.

Buy what works! You are not saving money if you buy a curriculum that costs $50 less, but you hate teaching it, your kids hate doing it and it ends up shelved. Really consider what works best for you and focus your funds and efforts on getting those things.

Not sure of the exact cost but what I would recommend for a basic elementary:

You could cut down the cost of many of these by buying used and/or buying a few at a time.

Singapore math

Rod and Staff Grammar and Spelling

Child's History of the World

Grandpa's Box if you are Christian

A children's picture story bible for younger elementary

A Bible

A First Book in American History

Stories of Great Americans For Little Americans

Draw Write Now

Phonics Pathways

Draw and Write Through History

Apologia Elementary Series

One Small Square Series

A map and/or globe

A children's atlas

Some classical music on CD or use Pandora or the internet.

Also look for books about artists and composer at the library or used.

You could find many lit, biographies, science and history books to add at the library or used at thrift stores. Also take advantage of free and inexpensive ebooks something like the Yesterdays Classics package would be worth it to add to these selections. I would also recommend Netflix for educational programing, and the internet for other educational videos etc.

I would buy a kindle and use the library.

free through google books:

Readers like McGuffey, Treadwell, Elson

Wheeler's Elementary Speller

Ray's Arithmetic

Grammar Land (Nesbit)

I would also get the Yesterday's Classics collection (when it goes on sale for $49-$99)

ETA: And a great booklist resource: All Through the Ages http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/017073/922913db3bf4420e81b798f6

http://www.classical-homeschooling.org/celoop/1000.html

I am doing everything ig you purchase new, cheaper if you can find used.

R&S English 3 for grammar and writing $30

(can be used for both children)

Math Mammoth $32/grade (last I checked) $64

History: SOTW textbook only $10 from RR

(can supplement with library books from that era and follow narration etc fro, WTM

Science (depends on your worldview) Apologia or Christian Kids explore for a spine both around $30

Reading: Library - Free

Vocabulary, have them keep a notebook of words they learn through their other subject and copy the definitions.

R&S Spelling $11 for 3rd, $14 for 4th $25

That shoul cover the bases TOTAL = $159

That leaves $41 for extras and supplies.

Check out used bookstores and Amazon and the such you'll be able to find a lot of the stuff you want to use, except cheaper. Browsing at the library the other day, I found the FIAR books. Your library might have some other things, they might even have SOTW and other books available. Worth a try anyway.

I only budget about $200-300 for HS'ing my 2 kids. I don't included expenses like memberships and field trips in that amount, but my actual curriculum and resources stay in that ball park. The first thing I do is look at what I already have. For example, I have FLL and a clean copy of WWE from when DS11 was younger so those will be reused for DD. Same with AAS and Spelling Power. I have them, so I will use them. I use the library A LOT not only for reading materials but DVDS, audio books, curriculum, and so on. I look for things that are free online (Grammar-land, The Story Book of Science, MEP, BBC Dance Mat typing, Sheppard Geography, and so on). Of course I want to give my kids a quality education so I look at reviews and compare my options to make sure that I am making good choices regardless of the price. I buy the core subjects first and then fill in with the others. To go as inexpensive as possible but keep the quality up there, I would do something like this

Math: CLE Math (workbooks and answer keys only): $40/child

LA: FLL, WWE, and Spelling Power for DD (already own), LLATL ($27) or $49 with TG

Science: earth science/astronomy---Usborne Science as spine (library and resources on hand), Intelligo unit study that was free on Mothers' Day

History: SOTW2 w/ AG and library resources (already have)

Geography: Sheppard (free online)

Latin: GSWL (Already have)

Spanish: Computer program (Already have)... Also, GSWS is only $10 as PDF

Music: Story of the Orchestra and library resources (already have)

Art: artist studies and online resources (free)

Typing: Typing Instructor (already have), BBC Dance Mat (free)

Cost: $107 bare bones or $139 with LLATL TG and GSWS PDF

Three very helpful books are: Home Learning Year by Year (Rebecca Rupp), How to build a low-cost/no-cost curriculum, and the Home Learning Sourcebook. If I had to pick one, I would choose Home Learning Year by Year. That plus a library card should do it. Simple. One book, and your done.

I've never really gotten into the Core Knowledge Books, but if I had little money, I suppose those books, plus the Baltimore Lesson Plans for it would be an alternative.

Another one might be the 1st edition of the Well Trained Mind. I haven't recommended it, because I have not as yet got a hold of one to look at. Hunter might know more about whether or not that would be suitable.

If It were upto me, and I was using such short funds, I would probably concentrate on using those funds for paper and ink. Then I could just have a customised curriculum, based off of the amount of time I have spare to customise a "workbook" by printing off different sheets from the internet.

If I was playing it forum-style though here's my "forum answer" rofl.

Math: Math Mammoth for workbook, plus Ray's for Oral/Mental.

LA: McGuffeys + Mott Media Workbooks.

Science: Library books + Pinterest Experiments

History: Story of the world CD + Activity Book

Geography: Evan Moor Workbook

Art: Drawing with Children + lesson Plans from Internet

If we were talking about "myself", it would look something like:

Phonics: Dancing Bears (Kids use notepad instead of writing in book

LA: McGuffeys + Workbooks (covers everything, Reading & Writing. Later on I would be doing Spencerian Penmanship as part of cursive plus then trying it as an art course for Calligraphy)

Math: Spunky/School-Aid/Studytime + either MOTL, or fill gaps (geometry etc,) with freebies from net

Basic Social Studies: Succeeding in Social Studies ($10 a workbook a year), builds upon itself for Australian History, Geography & Government. We do about 2 pages a week. Simple fill in the blank, draw this picture. But covers Social Studies for our country, fills that gap (esp. considering there is not much available in the Aus area)

Science/History/Everything Else: Konos Original Volumes

Art: Maryann Kohl.

I would also be trying to save up for things like Dreambox, Creativity Express, and MOTL. And be using two "reference" guides, mine would probably be Home Learning Year by Year (or my online State Standards) + something like Core Knowledge. This is all my personal view for our family though, hence why I wrote some more mainstream options (although even those are bias, since they are coming from me & my thoughts). If I got the above in bits & spurts hopefully it wouldn't go over the $200 a year (obviously MOTL would, but I would be trying to save up for that outside of the yearly monies). Konos Volume I would have to wait around for a used one.

So take your pick or mixture :p

Latina Christiana (no DVDs)

Story of the World (whichever vol. you are on) with A.G.

Rod and Staff math for each, passing down each year

Rod and Staff English

That would be pretty close to $200 if you buy all new.

For the rest:

A copy of the Well Trained Mind. In my tightest year I used the library's copy, rechecking each time I needed to research something.

For handwriting, I use Rod and Staff, but you could print your own copywork from the internet or use plain lined paper and write it out for them to copy or use inexpensive off the shelf workbooks when you had a bit to spend extra. It wouldn't be one of my first purchases while trying to get the rest under 200.

Library for science materials and arts and craft books and literature and readers. I used What Your X Grader Needs to Know as a guide several years for music and art and a supplement for science and history, though with their online plans at the BCP site, you could plan many subjects for free. We would read through it, do any projects, pick up library books on related topics and do those projects, etc. You can probably find WYXGNTK at the library too.

**** And since you mention you have lots of curricula available, why not either sell some or look for things you haven't used and try it for the year.

I used What Your X Grader Needs to Know as a guide several years for music and art and a supplement for science and history, though with their online plans at the BCP site, you could plan many subjects for free. We would read through it, do any projects, pick up library books on related topics and do those projects, etc. You can probably find WYXGNTK at the library too.

What is the BCP site? Also, does it really matter which edition What Your X Grader Needs to Know? I've seen some discussion here, and I'm curious. Thank you!

OP, thanks for starting this thread! I am also very interested in keeping our costs down as something always comes up in the year, and it's nice that I haven't already exhausted our budget! Thankfully, we haven't gone crazy (yet) and utilize our library a great deal. :)

What is the BCP site? Also, does it really matter which edition What Your X Grader Needs to Know? I've seen some discussion here, and I'm curious. Thank you!

OP, thanks for starting this thread! I am also very interested in keeping our costs down as something always comes up in the year, and it's nice that I haven't already exhausted our budget! Thankfully, we haven't gone crazy (yet) and utilize our library a great deal. :)

I wrote what it was above. Its the Lesson Plans for Core Knowledge. BCP = (I think) Baltimore Curriculum Project.

What your X Grader needs to know is a personal choice. As Hunter would say, the Original Series (Hardcover, DOubleday, Sponge-look cover) is more complete with it having 8th grade done I believe. The newer version has only upto 6th grade and some sketchy plans/ideas for 7th & 8th grade online on their website. Also I think the first edition did not have preschool?

I actually have the newer version of preschool, and first grade, the "1st" print of the second edition of Kindergarten, and the 1st editions of second and third. ROFL. Its a mess of editions. I actually haven't sat down and looked to see if the 1st editions are easier to make lesson plans from. The second editions are just random information (like an encyclopedia, open one page, info about elephants, flip a few pages, info about the human body). Its like having two "books" in one that is age appropriate for your kids. The front of the book is a mix of childrens favourite songs, and stories (which if you have books, you most likely have most of those stories), and the second one is something like an Usborne First Enyclopedia. Random snippets of information. Perhaps thats why I don't like it....we don't tend to like the childrens encyclopedias much either (I much prefer actually getting childcraft or worldbook than Usborne/Kingfisher). Perhaps the first editions are better? And less of an "educational random snippet magazine" feel?

We use Core Knowledge Preschool, but thats only because of the activity books that you can get that go with them (they are BRILLIANT, 50x better than any other preschool "workbook"). And I use the rest of the CK as a reference guide, plus about once a week, I'll sit down and bombard my eldest with one of those "random snippets" to cover gaps. ROFL! I'm more likely to use Baltimore without CK :lol:

This has been a huge priority of mine this year, since we live in Asia but will be in the US for 8 months of the schoolyear. Cheap and not big or heavy (we have to bring it all in suitcases, and also need room for less important things like clothes, medicines, toys, etc. My plan is:

Math Mammoth ($51 pdf download grades 1-3)

Rod and Staff grammar (this I got used for $8, and is the "biggest" thing I'll have to carry)

SOTW $9.99 on kindle, if I want the Student Pages download that will be another $10

Literature- all from the library or free books on kindle

Spelling- I already had Spelling Workout, its not really that big. I think we'll finish it there and won't have to bring it back.

Writing- I just use SWB's methods from her lecture, without WWE. We do copy work, dictation and narrations.

Science- this is a hard one to do super cheap. We'll use library books a lot.

Art- get books from library for project ideas, check used bookstore for good deals

Latin- another expensive subject. I think I'll just have to be ok with spending around $45.

This is making me re-think what is really needed for next year. I was planning on spending a lot more than $200, and I have 3 children. I was not aware of many of the pdf versions of some books which would make them more cost-effective, since I would only have to buy the book once. I am actually getting excited for planning next year. Thanks for all the great, frugal ideas!

Thanks for reviving this thread :) Off to check out some of these resources. Please keep the ideas coming. I know I'm not the only one who needs to keep things simple and inexpensive in my homeschool.

Nope, you're not the only one, i'm with you on needing to keep things simple and cheap!

• 2 weeks later...

I'd use MEP and probably KISS for math and grammar.

I've always been sort of scared of doing this, but using the McGuffey books for most language arts is what they did in the 19th century, right?

BFSU for science.

SotW with the activity book, mostly for the book list to hunt down library books unless the crafty stuff appealed to me.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so now we'll examine the shelf and the cost. The hypothetical shelf would consist of:

• Rod & Staff English 3 TM ($1-used),
  • Write On ($20),
  • Natural Speller ($12 - used),
  • How to Tutor ($5-used),
  • a file folder for math print outs (MM is $65 for 3 grades)
  • 2 science experiment books ($0 - already own)
  • SOTW 1 w/AG ($30) or a single piece of paper with the SL booklist. Cost: $133
Nice. Thorough, but not overwhelming. I'll have room to breathe. Oh, and if this works, next year I'd only have to be the next level of R&S English, SOTW 2 w/AG, so ... $50 or so for next year.

If you want to use the SOTW pages you might consider getting the PDF from peace hill press. Then you only print what you want. I found that we sometimes just read a chapter an didn't do any work on it. Some kids like maps but not coloring sheets.