Menu

When a dessert becomes a flavor...what do you think of this trend?

unsinkable

For example:

S'mores...is a dessert. Pretty basic and yummy if you like that thang. Graham cracker, chocolate, toasted marshmallow. BANG! Yum and done.

Now it is a flavor: s'more cake, s'more brownies, s'more granola bar.

I say let a s'more be a s'more!

I agree. There is so much more to a s'more than just the flavor. It is the texture of the gooey marshmallow, the crunchy graham cracker, and the melty chocolate. It can't be reduced to just a flavor. I also can't stand the candles that are food flavored. I have relatives that think that just because I love to cook I really want blueberry pie and snickerdoodle scented candles. Yuck. I hate fake things and this qualifies.

Agreeing with you-but my peeve is red velvet. I am SO tired of red velvet everything. Red velvet muffins, doughnuts, cheesecake, etc. Enough, people.

You beat me to it - I hate that EVERYTHING is red velvet right now (but red velvet cheesecake can stay).

I do enjoy when autumn rolls around and it's pumpkin-everything time; but pumpkin's not technically a dessert so that's okay, right?!

Agreeing with you-but my peeve is red velvet. I am SO tired of red velvet everything. Red velvet muffins, doughnuts, cheesecake, etc. Enough, people

The way I see it: red food dye cake, red food dye cookies, red food dye donuts, red food dye cheesecake...

I can't say that I hate tiramisu flavored anything. Bring it on.

There are a lot of food items I dislike. That's why there are other people to eat them.

My pet peeve food trend was bacon here, bacon there, everywhere a pile of bacon. I like bacon. But I've never cared to find out what bacon ice cream tastes like.

Red velvet isn't even a flavor! It's chocolate with a ton of red dye.

What's wrong with people?

I 100% agree with you on this. However, ydd will not be persuaded. She says red velvet cake has its own delicious taste that is nothing like chocolate cake. I say, she's just tasting the bottle of red food coloring. Blech.

Red velvet isn't even a flavor! It's chocolate with a ton of red dye.

What's wrong with people?

Traditionally, it's beet juice that colors the chocolate cake to a red shade. But nobody does it that way anymore, at least not in the mass-produced-treats business.

You beat me to it - I hate that EVERYTHING is red velvet right now (but red velvet cheesecake can stay).

I do enjoy when autumn rolls around and it's pumpkin-everything time; but pumpkin's not technically a dessert so that's okay, right?!

Yes, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin pie, pumpkin ice cream are all good in my book. I lurv me some pumpkin as an ingredient.

But imagine my horror when I started noticing ( a few years ago) that the ice cream flavor is now pumpkin PIE!!! It has pumpkin plus pie crust plus marshmallow swirl ( or some such nonsense ).

Pumpkin Pie ice cream is Not At All the same as Pumpkin ice cream.

Not a dessert, but I'm dying to find the chicken and waffle flavored potato chips.

I wouldn't dare because the very thought makes me shudder, lol, but dd had some somewhere and said they tasted exactly like chicken and artificial maple syrup. She didn't care for them, but obviously they're selling.

People's sense of taste is so interesting to me. Dd has done quite a few labs on the topic in her AP bio class. In one, the students were asked to place a piece of paper which was coated with a specific chemical component of brassicas on their tongues. Apparently, not all people have receptors for all flavors (which is probably the wrong way to describe it). Those who could taste it were less likely to "naturally" enjoy the taste of veggies in that family. Those who couldn't were more likely to enjoy eating them. Dd could taste it....for hours. Interestingly, out of the brassica family, she will only eat raw broccoli, and roasted Brussels sprouts. Both raw and roasted preparation results in a more mellow flavor. It's fascinating to me, and helps explain why one person's yum is another's yuck. ;)

I wouldn't dare because the very thought makes me shudder, lol, but dd had some somewhere and said they tasted exactly like chicken and artificial maple syrup. She didn't care for them, but obviously they're selling.

People's sense of taste is so interesting to me. Dd has done quite a few labs on the topic in her AP bio class. In one, the students were asked to place a piece of paper which was coated with a specific chemical component of brassicas on their tongues. Apparently, not all people have receptors for all flavors (which is probably the wrong way to describe it). Those who could taste it were less likely to "naturally" enjoy the taste of veggies in that family. Those who couldn't were more likely to enjoy eating them. Dd could taste it....for hours. Interestingly, out of the brassica family, she will only eat raw broccoli, and roasted Brussels sprouts. Both raw and roasted preparation results in a more mellow flavor. It's fascinating to me, and helps explain why one person's yum is another's yuck. ;)

This is really interesting to me. I will need to put some research into it. Dh's father refuses to eat veggies unless they are 'sweet'...sweet peas, sweet white corn...etc. He says all veggies (and many fruits) are bitter to him. He was raised vegetarian so I know he was exposed to lots of veggies.

Ds18 has been raised eating a variety of healthy food. He dislikes fast food and chooses healthy options when we eat out. BUT he really doesn't like many veggies. He says they are bitter to him (just like his grandfather-even though we don't think he ever heard his g-pa say this). He will choke down his serving of vegetables and always has, so it isn't just a lack of exposure. He just doesn't like them. The only way he will enjoy them is if I roast them and add basalmic vinegar. Then he really likes them. LOL appearently to him the roasting sweets them and the vinegar cancels the bitter taste. LOL

I always figured there was a genetic componet to how they taste them so differently than the rest of us.

Thanks for sharing this, I will have to spend some time looking at why different people taste foods they way they do and if there are ways to counteract those preferences.

Yes, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin pie, pumpkin ice cream are all good in my book. I lurv me some pumpkin as an ingredient.

But imagine my horror when I started noticing ( a few years ago) that the ice cream flavor is now pumpkin PIE!!! It has pumpkin plus pie crust plus marshmallow swirl ( or some such nonsense ).

Pumpkin Pie ice cream is Not At All the same as Pumpkin ice cream.

Ew, no. Not for me. I am a pumpkin freak (people contact me to let me know they saw a new pumpkin product and thought of me, so, you know, this is a legitimate obsession) and I actually do not care for pumpkin pie. I just like everything else with pumpkin.

Not a dessert, but I'm dying to find the chicken and waffle flavored potato chips.

I had them. I loved/hated them.

They really do have a chicken and waffles flavor. Kind of like a mixture between those Chiken' In a Biscuit crackers, if you've ever had those, and maple syrup. The first few bites were like an amazing new flavor sensation in my mouth, but then they got kind of gross.

Ew, no. Not for me. I am a pumpkin freak (people contact me to let me know they saw a new pumpkin product and thought of me, so, you know, this is a legitimate obsession) and I actually do not care for pumpkin pie. I just like everything else with pumpkin.

Pumpkin flan?

Are you trying to make me insane? LOL

This is my EXACT pet peeve! How can HOT CHOCOLATE be a cupcake flavor?!?

Marshmallow frosting...is that like 7 minute frosting?

The frosting is basically marshmallows creme. But the cake is light like hot chocolate not heavy like regular chocolate cake. It really is a very light, sweet treat.

Okay, for some reason this description took me on a little time travel back to childhood where some company came up with the idea of trying to approximate ketchup and fries...in a potato chip. Suffice it to say the approximation required the heavy use of imagination :lol:

:svengo:

So I'm imagining a beaver 'scooting' like a dog and yeah, us eating that nastiness.

Never fear...wiki says the industry reports using only 300 lbs annually ( or would that be @nally? LOL, I kid!) so that is a minuscule amount per person.

Okay, for some reason this description took me on a little time travel back to childhood where some company came up with the idea of trying to approximate ketchup and fries...in a potato chip. Suffice it to say the approximation required the heavy use of imagination :lol:

Herr's makes ketchup flavored chips now. They are very red. Creepy red.

I had them. I loved/hated them.

They really do have a chicken and waffles flavor. Kind of like a mixture between those Chiken' In a Biscuit crackers, if you've ever had those, and maple syrup. The first few bites were like an amazing new flavor sensation in my mouth, but then they got kind of gross.

Thanks for the review. The flavor--just the name even--doesn't appeal to me but I'd been wondering. So how are the sriracha ones? That actually sounds like it might be good.

I had to announce one of my pregnancies to my extended family way before I wanted to because I had an aunt who got all offended that I would not take a slice of her red velvet cake at a family gathering. I was right at the point where most of the baby's major organs were developing and I didn't want to risk consuming all those chemicals.

Are you trying to make me insane? LOL

This is my EXACT pet peeve! How can HOT CHOCOLATE be a cupcake flavor?!?

Marshmallow frosting...is that like 7 minute frosting?

Exactly! I wonder if they are warm cupcakes or milk chocolate flavored.