Menu

Has anyone started a "4th grade plans" thread?

joyfulmomSDG

I'm here! Planning 4th grade. SO excited, as we are covering some excellent literature this year.

We revamped our entire 3rd grade this year by transitioning to Charlotte Mason methods, which are going very well. We are using the free curriculum on the CM Help website.

So, we will continue with CM Help Year 4.

Movement- poetry recitation, math facts with bean bags, seasonal/academic/community songs, Spanish songs

Math- math mammoth (more for me to make sure we cover each topic), Life of Fred, living books, math notebook.

Language arts- Daily Grams, weekly dictation for spelling (pulled from literature readings), daily cursive Copywork using verses, poetry, literature selections workbook that I can't remember the name of....

US History- Story of US by Hakim audiobooks, living books, notebooking 2xs per week, Book of Centuries entry 1x per week

Geography- map drills 1x per week

World History- Story of the World 4, living books (can't wait for Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry)

Spanish- Mango app on iPad

Latin- Getting Started with Latin

Science- weekly science classes, living books at home, notebooking 1x per week, experiments/activities 1x per week (planning to order supplies/kits from Home Science Tools)

Daily Piano practice

Weekly:

Artist Study

Poet Study

Composer study

Piano lessons

Science classes

Art lab book or watercoloring

Handwork (wood burning, woodworking, knitting)

I have a 4th grader this year. I can share some things we are doing this year.

English-Imitations in Writing (we're alternating between Greek Myths and the Medieval Legends book), she keeps a copybook, dictation, Grammarland +worksheets with it and I've been adding the Ruth Heller books

French-L'Art de Lire (she's in Level 5 now and then we have Level 6 left)

Latin-we alternate with Our Roman Roots and Latina Christiana

Math-Singapore + Hands-On Geometry (and some Patty Paper work too)

Science-RS4K Astonomy + physics kit+ Issac Newton biography (followed by Albert Elnstein bio.)+ Science Matters with big sister

Geography-about to start Paddle to the Sea and also working on US states (abbreviations and captiols)

Literature-finishing The Little White Horse (with Book Notes) this week and about to start Anne of Green Gables (with our organized study guide)+using Memoria Press guide for Greek Myths

(finishing up Longfellow as our poet study and moving into a number of poems that is connected with Anne of Green Gables guide)

Arts-studying Rembrandt and The Magic Flute (for our opera study)+piano lessons

Plutarch-we're reading Brutus now (with guide) and will follow with Caesar....after this we move to Shakespeare where we'll be reading Julius Caesar

I think that is everything.... :)

It looks like I have a similar line-up in core areas as your 9yo this year. Is Calvert more (or completely) independent?

It is not independent at this age. I used Calvert 4 with my son last year and I was so impressed with it. I wanted to do Calvert for both kids this year but couldn't afford it. I was kind of glad because Calvert is a lot of work. But in the end I noticed a lot of things.

1. We actually do art with Calvert, and it's really well done classical art- they use Hillyer's art history and lessons in 5-8th. My kids are both artistic so I feel this is a real failure to provide for them.

2. My son learned so much in 4th grade writing lady year that the only reason he did well this year was jumping off of the momentum from Calvert 4. The writing is superb.

3. I end up buying more stuff and junk when I'm eclectic. I stress more because I'm always researching.

4. I miss the wonderful lesson manual

5. Calvert's online spelling is excellent.

6. Variety. We do more variety when it's planned in.

We did like WWE a LOT and FLL but it certainly works and my dd has enjoyed the poetry memory. FLL has made it so she's way ahead of the curve in grammar, and fairly painless. We will miss some aspects of both of those, but I'm not sad about it, only because I know how Calvert 4 is and I know I like it.

Here are our 4th grade plans:

Math: Saxon 5/4, Tables, Squares, and Cubes drill pages (from CC), Trivium Tables, and multiplication flashcards, MegaFun Card Game Math (all from CC)

Logic: Building Thinking Skills 2 (first half)

Latin: Latin's Not So Tough 4

Greek: Hey Andrew 4

Spelling: Dictation Resource Book (using sentences from the 3rd and 4th grade levels)

Grammar: Essentials of the English Language (CC), Dictation Resource Book

Copywork: PreScripts Sentences and Passages (CC), slatework selections from McGuffey Fourth

Composition: IEW Medieval

Reading: Literature list from Veritas Press and Writing Road to Reading (with narrations), McCall Crabbs Book C, McGuffey Fourth Eclectic Reader

Memory Work: CC Cycle 2, West Minster Shorter Catechism, Character First, Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization Level 2, AWANA

Books used to flesh out our memory work come from CC and CC Connected mostly, plus whatever other related books I find. Read alouds from Teaching the Classics and A Thomas Jefferson Education lists. Veritas Press Bible (whole timeline) and Training Hearts, Teaching Minds? for devotions, plus hymns and manners.......

I have already purchased everything for next year (I am a curriculum junkie so I still want more!).

For 4th Grade we are doing:

Math in Focus 4

RSO Life Science & Sonlight Science D (Because it was gifted to me and it seems more advanced then the RSO Life I had already purchased,) -At some point I am going to sit down and align these two with ScienceSaurus (Book 4-5 That I purchased last year to ensure that we cover everything she is expected to know). They are both Life Science and my dd is a science junkie and actually begged to do both when I was considering returning RSO.

Sonlight Core D Introduction to American History Year 1 of 2. I am using the History, Read Alouds and Readers. I would also like to get Liberty's Kids if I can convince hubby its worth it!

Moving Beyond the Page's 8-10 Literature / Language Arts Program with First Language Lessons 4, Beginning Word Roots and All About Spelling.

I purchase a Music Composer study from Confessions of a Homeschool Mom had it printed through fedex and bought the required books. This looks promising. She also expressed interest in learning to play the recorder so I got those books too. It seemed appropriate for american history too :)

You may think me to be crazy but we are going to start with Artistic Pursuits K-3 Book 1 and work through them at our own pace (faster) because dd loves art and I think she would just enjoy some of the projects that were in the younger curriculum that were not in the 4-6 books.

I purchased Tai Chi Lessons through the School that wrote Elementary Spanish which also looks promising.

I think that is everything!

Geography: US States (if I win the lottery we plan to visit each state for at least a month)

Math: continue with the current books that were written by a local private school teacher.

History: Human Odyssey and our usual 2.5 billion books

Grammar: Evan Moor workbook 4

Handwritting: Some sort of copy work

DS wants to play an instrument

Science: ???

I'm here! Planning 4th grade. SO excited, as we are covering some excellent literature this year.

We revamped our entire 3rd grade this year by transitioning to Charlotte Mason methods, which are going very well. We are using the free curriculum on the CM Help website.

So, we will continue with CM Help Year 4.

Movement- poetry recitation, math facts with bean bags, seasonal/academic/community songs, Spanish songs

Math- math mammoth (more for me to make sure we cover each topic), Life of Fred, living books, math notebook.

Language arts- Daily Grams, weekly dictation for spelling (pulled from literature readings), daily cursive Copywork using verses, poetry, literature selections workbook that I can't remember the name of....

US History- Story of US by Hakim audiobooks, living books, notebooking 2xs per week, Book of Centuries entry 1x per week

Geography- map drills 1x per week

World History- Story of the World 4, living books (can't wait for Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry)

Spanish- Mango app on iPad

Latin- Getting Started with Latin

Science- weekly science classes, living books at home, notebooking 1x per week, experiments/activities 1x per week (planning to order supplies/kits from Home Science Tools)

Daily Piano practice

Weekly:

Artist Study

Poet Study

Composer study

Piano lessons

Science classes

Art lab book or watercoloring

Handwork (wood burning, woodworking, knitting)

briansmama can I ask where you found the Hakim Story of the US on audio?

Art: Artpac 4

Science: Apologia Astronomy with Journal

History: MP FMOR

Literature: MP 4th grade Lit

Latin: LC I

Geography: MP Geography I (unless I can find a better geography curriculum, the MP States and Capitals has been a total bust here)

English: R&S 4

Math: continue with MUS (currently the middle of Beta, but we will do math over the summer), Didax Daily Mental Math 4

Penmanship: R&S 4

Spelling: R&S 4

Writing: Wordsmith Apprentice

Health: Schoolaid Health 4th grade (sold by Milestone books)

Bible: MP Christian Studies II

Music: Piano and choir

briansmama can I ask where you found the Hakim Story of the US on audio?

Audible.com. I signed up for the membership just to get a better deal on these audiobooks. We're really enjoying them! If you do the same, look for the audible deal where you can automatically download 2 free audiobooks when you sign up.

Audible.com. I signed up for the membership just to get a better deal on these audiobooks. We're really enjoying them! If you do the same, look for the audible deal where you can automatically download 2 free audiobooks when you sign up.

Thank you!

4th grade. :willy_nilly: I'm having a hard time thinking about it. We have a lot of 3rd grade left.

Math - Saxon 6/5, Beast Academy and CWP wherever we leave off from this year, logic problems, Building Thinking Skills 1

Language Arts - Shurley English, WWE 3, Phonetic Zoo A, VP 4th grade lit., various other resources

Science - No clue yet

Latin - finish LfC A, start LfC B

Spanish - GSWS and DuoLingo at the very least

Geography - continue Mapping the World with Art, Geography Songs, various other resources

History - VP American History 1850 - present with some SOTW 4 activities

Bible - VP Acts - Revelations

Music - piano lessons, Opal Wheelers biographies

Art - Atelier Art although we do art infrequently

Here is the thread I started not too long ago if you want more ideas!

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/455046-grade-4-plans/page__hl__+4th%20+grade%20+memoria%20+press#entry4707831

Thanks so much, this is just what I was looking for!

It is not independent at this age. I used Calvert 4 with my son last year and I was so impressed with it. I wanted to do Calvert for both kids this year but couldn't afford it. I was kind of glad because Calvert is a lot of work. But in the end I noticed a lot of things.

1. We actually do art with Calvert, and it's really well done classical art- they use Hillyer's art history and lessons in 5-8th. My kids are both artistic so I feel this is a real failure to provide for them.

2. My son learned so much in 4th grade writing lady year that the only reason he did well this year was jumping off of the momentum from Calvert 4. The writing is superb.

3. I end up buying more stuff and junk when I'm eclectic. I stress more because I'm always researching.

4. I miss the wonderful lesson manual

5. Calvert's online spelling is excellent.

6. Variety. We do more variety when it's planned in.

We did like WWE a LOT and FLL but it certainly works and my dd has enjoyed the poetry memory. FLL has made it so she's way ahead of the curve in grammar, and fairly painless. We will miss some aspects of both of those, but I'm not sad about it, only because I know how Calvert 4 is and I know I like it.

Calming Tea, thanks for your insight about Calvert. I am torn about starting a new curriculum for any of our core areas - especially because they are going so well. But, as you mentioned, the eclectic thing is really stressing me out now that I have more school age kids. I am finding myself perusing Bob Jones & ABeka catalogs more & more!

Edited from the last thread, because I'm still tweaking:

Math: CLE 400-500

English: MCT Island

Apples & Pears B/C

Further Up & Further In (tentatively)

History: SOTW: Middle Ages

Science: finish WP Equine Science

Foreign Language: La Clase Divertida 2, GSWL/Minimus

Music: piano

Art: nothing specifically for art, since both FUFI and Equine Science have drawing incorporated into the lessons

Other: Classical Conversations, Dance Mat Typing, Girl Scouts, tumbling, horseback riding

I actually have everything already, bought for last year or potential future use because I got an awesome deal. I think we're going to use FUFI instead of trying to find another composition curriculum between WWE3 and WWS1, since I don't think she'll be ready for WWS, but I don't think she needs WWE4.

Galore Park Jr. English 3+ Edited to add: Logic of English secondary spelling list.

Galore Park Jr. Science 3 + Edited to add TOPS kits

States and Capitals with a Barnes and Noble workbook + some historical fiction for US history/ French Revolution

Beast Academy 4/ Edited to change MM5 to Singapore 5 (after emailing Beast Academy's author)

First Start French 1 (finishing) + Updated to add: Rosetta Stone home school French

BrainPop + whatever we unearth at the library.

Bean

Also, continue with our all time favorite reading list: http://mensaforkids....erAward/4_6.pdf

They also have other levels: http://mensaforkids....readeraward.cfm

One more edit- because I was asked off list. I switched to Singapore 5 because it is one of Jason Batterson's preferred programs for between BA and AoPS. We don't dislike Math Mammoth. I would definitely continued with MM along side BA if there was either 1.) a "summer school" version where is was compacted into a 12-16 week supplement format with some teaching included or 2.) a syllabus that outlines how to compact. I felt like I was making dire educational decisions when I was compacting daily, using it as a supplement for an accelerated math student.

That said, I'm glad I own grades 4-6 MM. I went in today to print off 2 pages on a topic I want to take on the road with us tomorrow.

Edited by elladarcy

• 1 month later...

Just started planning 4th grade. We still have a lot of 3rd grade left so I guess we'll start with that. But here's what I'm planning for our no stress 4th grade.

Continue Writing with Ease 3 for dictation, narration

Singapore Math 3B

Finish MCT Building Language, Poetry

MCT Town

Rod and Staff Spelling

Continue BFSU, probably redoing with supplementary library books we never did

Continue American (Revolutionary War) and World History(interest-led) with videos, biographies, timeline etc.

Write Source's level 4 book

Vocabulary cards

Continue co-op one afternoon a week, and possibly continuing soccer, basketball, and baseball throughout the year

I'm getting tired thinking about it!

I am sure we have, but here is ours so far. It has changed a bit, after learning what co-op was offering and more research:

Rod and Staff 4 Math, English, Penmanship

Spelling: possibly R&S 4, but am considering something new. I want to look at IEW's offerings (but am reluctant to spend so much...)

SOTW 2 w/A.G for reading, geography, history, writing, etc.

MP Christian Studies II (when we finish I, which won't be by the fall..)

Latina Christiana I and doing the readings from Famous Men of Rome to go along (since she will take the ELE for the first time next year, I will have to keep the Roman stuff fresh w/her..)

Latin Club: a group we put together to work on stuff for the ELE

Science: Earth and Space Science using a variety of things: MP's Astronomy and Arty Facts Space and Art Projects and some NASA materials and the Usborne Science Encyclopedia mainly, plus field trips, videos, etc. and a co-op class for extra that will be using Magic Schoolbus kits.

P.E: swim lessons, and dance classes, field day, trampoline, bike riding and all of that good stuff.

Music and Art: up in the air. The goal is to get back to piano at home, plus maybe use the R&S 4th grade music text as well as read from What Your 4th Grader Needs to Know. Art seems to be along w/history lately using Usborne's Intro to Art and doing related projects when they come up. We do lots of drawing, and we dabble in other media throughout the year, plus take some shorter classes w/ an artist occasionally... So it gets done. ]

**** Poetry and memory work. Another poster reminded me that I left this off.

Memorywork: We will do the kings of England ala WTM for our new history list. We will continue w/the books of the Bible w/MP CS. We will also revisit older lists like the states and the presidents to keep them fresh.

Poetry: We are not as good w/this. There are lessons in R&S fortunately. And we do at least 1, maybe 2 throughout the year that they pick from WYXGNTK, whenever I panic and realize we haven't done one in a while. Then we perform a Shakespeare Sonnet in public once a year, so that helps too.

Right now here's where I'm at:

Math: MM4, or Singapore 3b/4a (unsure)

Grammar: Easy Grammar 4

Writing: Mix of WWE and Imitation in Writing

Spelling: AAS 3 & 4

Handwriting: A Reason For... level D

Literature: I generally consult the literature list from Logos School & SCM to make our selections. I also add in a few that fit with our history study and general interests.

Latin: Song School 2?

Science: Apologia Anatomy

History: SOTW 1

We usually use our co-op for music, art, drama etc...

Here is what I have planned so far. I feel like there's too much, but I want to do it all!

Math: CLE Math 402-410 and Timez Attack

Grammar: KISS Grammar Level 1 and Growing with Grammar 4

Spelling: Megawords 1-2

Writing and Reading: Classical House of Learning Literature and 6 Traits Daily Writing (summer)

Vocabulary: Wordly Wise 3000

CA History: California Studies Weekly

Handwriting: Handwriting Without Tears cursive

Typing: Dance Mat Typing

P.E.: Gymnastics

Music: Flute

World History: Story of the World 1 and Activity Guide

Science: R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey - Earth and Space, extra something on Magnets, Electricity, and Forces

Art: Combo of Artistic Pursuits, Meet the Masters, Draw Squad, How to Teach Art to Children, and Artworks for Kids

Latin: Getting Started With Latin

Music: Classics for Kids

Read Alouds: From a variety of literature lists

Here is what I have planned for dd9 for the fall:

Math: Singapore Math 4

Lang.Arts: MCT Island

History/Literature: Sonlight Core E/Core 4

Science: WTM-style study of physical science using The Way Things Work & RS4K Chemistry & Physics for spines

French: L'art de Lire, Levels 5 & 6

Art: Drawing with Children & Artistic Pursuits K-3, Bk 3

Music: Piano & harp lessons

Extra: Ballet & gymnastics

Oh my Gosh, my third grade student will be in fourth grade next year. I was a little shocked when I realized that.

Yes, I have the same shock.

So far, for my youngish for grade rising fourth graders, we're planning on...

Math: Beast Academy (if it gets finished!) along with the Key to books for one and I *think* we may switch to MEP and SM CWP for the other one

Writing: Brave Writer!

Reading: I'll make a required reading list

Spelling: AAS4 and 5 for one and probably 5 and 6 for the other

History: Modern year! We'll use a variety of things

Science: human biology this year - and probably a unit on technology and engineering as well - mostly self-designed, but I might use Ellen McHenry's The Brain as well

Logic: Logic Liftoff maybe? Tin Man Press things and games, of course

Music and Arts: piano lessons continued, museum trips, drawing and art projects, ballet (which goes into high gear for my little ballet ds), and acting (other ds is hoping to audition for things with his father in local theater this year - age 9 is usually the cut off)

Bible: VP Chronicles through Malachi

Math: RightStart G & VideoText combined for a two year program (w/AoPS Prealgebra on the side)

Spelling: SWR, McCall-Crabbs C/D comprehension

Grammar: ALL 1 (first 15 weeks of it), then R&S 6

Writing: WWE 4 (2nd half), Poetry Primer (w/plans of starting WWS 1 in 5th, but have it waiting on the shelf just in case)

Latin: Latin for Children B

History: VP Self-Paced MARR

Geography: MP Geography I

Science: Tiner's Exploring series (Planet Earth, History of Medicine, World of Biology) & Logos Grammar of Science

Arts: Suzuki Violin, Christian Karate, drawing

Other: memory work, well stocked with literature books

my son will be in 4th grade next year. i'm not firm on anything, but this is what i'm considering as of now:

math - teaching textbooks

grammar & writing - essentials in writing?

spelling - dictation

history - thinking about notgrass (alongside sister)

science - lapbooks

geography - ?

music - recorder

bible - starr meade (alongside sister) & church

art - meet the masters

field trips 2x month

karate 2x week

i still need to put together a reading list, both for him to read to himself and me to read aloud.

this is as far as i've gotten

• 2 weeks later...

Also, continue with our all time favorite reading list: http://mensaforkids....erAward/4_6.pdf

That is such a good list. Thanks for sharing.

I thought I had everything figured out for DS1 for next year... but... finances may be changing, which means I'm now considering Calvert through our local virtual school.

The plans were...

OM4

MM4 or Singapore 4 (hadn't decided yet)

Some cursive program... we've used HWOT but DS1 likes the New American Cursive better

Arabic (Egyptian...Michel Thomas (spoken))

Recorder (through OM) plus some informal composer studies

Mom-created unit study on Rumi

Norse Myths (Mary Pope Osborne)

Possibly adding in some logic

Possibly adding in a Latin/Greek vocab type course instead of spelling

Possibly adding in a writing program (but need to see what's in OM, as I hear they do more writing in 4th grade)

Then...along with his 3rd grade brother and 1st grade sister...either

Sonlight History Core D (American History 1) or

SWOT 1 + either the AG or History Odyssey

He really wants to learn fencing...so I need to see if we have a local school.

I posted my plans in the thread mentioned in Post #11, but I have since decided to make a couple changes...

We're going to finish up GSWL more quickly and then move into Lively Latin.

We're going to drop grammar for 4th grade (of course, AFTER I bought R&S English 5 already).

I just realized that my son gets grammar easily and will be getting a lot of grammar via Latin, and he'll be doing a couple middle school level books for math and science in 4th grade, so I'd like to streamline other things. Thus we'll take out English grammar for the year. I'm not dropping it forever, but just for the one year. I'll reevaluate our grammar needs the following year. Latin will include a lot of English grammar plus diagramming, so I think we'll be well covered for keeping grammar fresh. :)

Still in the process of planning:

Language Arts: Writing Tales, AAS 5, Cursive practice, + grammar??

Math: Beast Academy + ?? (We've been doing Singapore & RightStart, so we'll probably continue one of those.)

Geography: world geography, using various sources to make an around the world journal

History: just reading through A Child's History of the World

Science: Sassafras Science Zoology with geography study, plus a history of science/inventors study

Faith Formation: read through an Acts of the Apostles narrative, catechism, saint stories, other resources that I find

Art: Home Art Studio first grade, to go along with our world cultures study

Latin: finish GSWL & Minimus Secundus

Spanish: continue La Clase Divertida + other resources, copywork, books for her to read, etc.

I've copied and pasted below my own post from the earlier 4th grade thread, but guess what? I've changed some things, surprise! surprise! Changes are in bold.

Math: MM5A/5B, BA 4 (if available...), CWP 4

Spelling: R&S 4 and 5

Vocabulary: Vocabulary from the Classical Roots 4 & 5

Literature: MP Lit 4 & MCT (A, P, M) (will probably save MCT A, P, M for the following year)

Grammar: FLL 4 (Classical Conversation Essentials of the English Language instead)

Writing: WWE 4 & possibly writers workshops from Write! (http://www.curriculu...rite&topic=CLA0) (IEW with Classical Conversations Essentials instead, though will continue with WWE on non-CC weeks)

Cursive Copywork: Wheeler's Graded Studies in Great Authors (will add CC PreScripts)

History/Geography: SOTW Vol. 3 with AG and hands-on class at co-op; MP Timeline; MP US States & Capitals; MP Famous Men of Modern Times (Classical Conversations Foundations will replace MP Timeline, US States & Capitals and Famous Men. Will keep SOTW 3.)

Science: Galore Park Junior Science Book 3, plus Magic School Bus & Brain Pop Videos

Electives: Ballet, Art, Music, PE, & Robotics via co-op (Not sure how much we'll continue since CC will take up 1 full day. May drop co-op entirely so we only have 1 day outside of the house).

Sport: Year-round competitive swimming

It changes almost daily since I'm pregnant and feeling the need for more hand-holding next year, but here it is today:

Latin: Latina Christiana I

Classical: Famous Men of Rome w/ MP's guide

Literature: Kolbe literature guides *maybe*

English: Rod & Staff 4

Spelling: Rod & Staff 5

Writing: Classical Composition- Fable

Math: Math Mammoth 4

Science: Nature & the library

Memory work: poetry (IEW), scriptures, Shakespeare

I know this is kind of an old thread....but I didn't comment before because I didn't have a plan yet. Now I do!! :hurray:

Here's what I'm planning for 4th grade next school year:

Math: Teaching Textbooks 4, Practical Arithmatics 1, & LOF elementary

Grammar: Grammar Island

Writing: Essentials in Writing 4

Spelling: Sequential Spelling

Cursive: Character D'Nealian

Literature: just reading lots of good books together

History: Beautiful Feet Early American Primary

Science: NOEO Biology 2

Art: Home Art Studio

Spanish: La Clase Divertida

ETA: I already made changes. I changed our Science plan (it was RSO E&S but we are going with NOEO now).

Oh my Gosh, my third grade student will be in fourth grade next year. I was a little shocked when I realized that.

:iagree:

I was really shocked when I realized that the elementary school in town only goes through 3rd. If my dd were in public school she'd be in the middle school next year....4th through 8th! Yikes!!! :ohmy:

I combine my rising 4th grader with her brother going into 5th for many subjects. Here is what I have so far for her:

Math: MUS, quick run through Gamma to cement some things, then on to Delta

Spelling: finish Apples and Pears that was supposed to be finished this year, but mom has been lazy.

Lang. Arts: much of this is still fuzzy. I have LLATL Orange that we haven't finished and Purple to move onto when we do finish. We may proceed with that plan. Or, I may do a combo of IEW's All Things Fun and Fascinating, IEW's Fix It, and Killgallon's Story Grammar for Elementary. Or, I may combine them in one level of BJU English and call it done.

History: Either BF American, which we didn't finish this year or Veritas Self Paced to lighten my load

Science: Rod and Staff, done completely independently

Bible: a girl's devotion book she picked for her personal time, then family devotions with Apologia's Who is God?

Latin: new study for us this year, so we are doing Lively Latin with all the kids

Literature at this point is just a mixture of books chosen by her or me.

She also does Tae kwon do twice per week.

At this point, I think I'll be using:

Math:

Math in Focus

FAN Math Process Skills and Problem Solving

Singapore Challenging Word Problems (a grade behind)

Language Arts:

MCT Language Arts

Apples and Pears Spelling

Writing With Ease

No More I'm Done, maybe some Essentials in Writing

Handwriting without Tears

Keyboarding

Other Subjects:

Story of the World

Core Knowledge Science and other assorted subjects (art, lit, etc.)

Telling God's Story

Unstuck and On Target Curriculum

Here's our plan for fall, updated from the list in the older link:

Math: Saxon 65 / Singapore 4

Science: Scott Foresman Grade 4

Grammar: finish MCT Practice Island / Galore Park Jr. English 3

Spelling: finish Sequential Spelling 1

Literature: Kolbe Elementary Literature

Handwriting: Pentime 4

Writing: IEW Geography

Geography: Beautiful Feet Geography & memorizing states and capitals

US History: Pearson (Core Knowledge) Grade 3

Classical History: Memoria Press Intro to Classical Studies

French: Skoldo French 2

Latin: Memoria Press Latina Christiana 1 / Lingua Angelica

Greek: Memoria Press Greek Alphabet

Bonus: After showing dd the great book list/challenge linked by elladarcy (post #20,) we've added that to our plan at dd's request :)

Extracurricular:

gymnastics

swimming

art

Spanish club

This is awesome! Thanks for posting the link(s)!

After checking out all the plans above (thank you everyone!), this is where I am so far:

Math: Horizons 4

Grammar: FLL 4

Spelling: Continue w/AAS (but now considering Sequential Spelling)

Writing: WWE 3 (but now considering Writing Tales)

Vocab: Vocabulary from Classical Roots

Science: Elemental Chemistry

Latin: Memoria Press Prima Latina (w/siblings)

Greek: Song School Greek/Greek Alphabet Code Cracker (Greek was his request)

History: TOGY1 (finish unit 4) & work through TOG Y2U2

Plus extra curriculars.

Life changes and my plans for next year are changing as well. :)

I am going to combine Geography and History next year I plan to use:

Highlights Which Way USA

http://www.highlights.com/puzzle-book-clubs/which-way-usa

DS tends to retain map information really well and I am pretty sure this will be enough for Geography since he went through 3rd and 4th grade map skills this year. I will have a large wall map of the USA on the table (protected) for discussions over meals.

I am still debating between these for history:

Drama of American History (ebook version to keep costs low)

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/?series_id=275714

Beautiful Feet

http://bfbooks.com/Literature-Packs/US-and-World-History-Packs

US History Through Literature

http://www.amazon.com/U-S-History-Through-Childrens-Literature/dp/1563084406

Or I might just go through the book lists, find books that appeal to DS and that I can get on audio and finding literature guides online or buying them from Curr Click. http://www.currclick.com/ We tend to go above and beyond a far as literature goes so I need to sit down and really plan out the year and make sure we cover the history part. I love the Mensa book list and DS has already been through several so I am going to print it out and work through the lists as well. http://mensaforkids.com/ReaderAward/4_6.pdf

Math and Grammar will continue to be the same

(Math: Books written by local private school teacher. Grammar: Evan Moor)

Handwriting will be related to what we are studying in American History.

Language Arts will be Evan Moore. This includes spelling, also from Evan Moor.

Reading will continue what he is currently doing.

Science is going to be the Science Works Books from Evan Moor. Looking at them there is no reason we cannot make it through all of the 4-6th books.

Extras:

4+ hours a month volunteer work

Violin

American Sign Language http://www.signingsavvy.com

PE: Speed Skating and various other activities

Here is what I am thinking...we were having a lot of trouble and I was so worried about his reading and while he is still slow and it is WORK for him, I think he is fine. Consistency, it turns out, works wonders. :laugh:

Here is my plan as of now:

Math: Teaching Textbooks 5

Spelling: Phonetic Zoo

Writing: IEW Narnia theme

Latin: First Form Latin

Greek: MP Greek Alphabet

History: US History using Hakim as a spine and lots of read alouds and a few assigned readers with lots of IEW inspired writing

Science: Still working on this - I think we are going to do an overview of science history using Hakim and Bill Bryson's book to give DS a broad exposure and zeroing in on a few things to really research. Right now he is doing a project on black holes and I think we will continue with a monthly project stemming from our larger reading.

Reading: Free reading time each day plus assignments from Narnia, history, and science

I'm pretty excited now that things are better with him. Now for what to do with my 2nd grader who is as different as could be from her brother!

I've purchased most of our things, just a few things left to buy.

Math - Rightstart E, Horizons 4 (1 page a day for math drill), Challenging Word Problems 3

Language Arts - First Language Lessons 4, All About Spelling 6, IEW - SWI A, daily reading time

Foreign Language - French Mission Monde 2, Latina Christiana I

Science - Physics (making up our own program)

History - Story of the World 4

Extras - typing, art & music study, health, recitation, geography

Let's see....

Right Start math level (finish D and start E)

WWE 4

FLL 4

AAS (finish 4 and start 5)

Lively Latin book 1 (already started)

German using Duolingo and my German texts

IEW Poems for memory work

D'Nealian 4th grade

SOTW level 4

RSO Biology

Continue outside piano lessons.

I have finally given this some serious thought so here are my oldest ds's 4th grade plans:

Math: MM4 and finishing up Miquon

Writing: WWE 3, WWW3

Spelling: AAS 4

Grammar: FLL 3 and Evan Moor Language Fundamentals

Handwriting: HWOT 4 (cursive)

Typing Island

Reading: Reading Lists

French: SKOLDO 1

Music: continue weekly guitar lessons

History: SOTW 2 (finish) and begin 3

Geography: Evan Moor daily geo

Science: Evan Moor daily science plus RSO bio

P.E.: karate, basketball, swimming

I think that is it :crying:

My tentative plan includes:

Math Mammoth 4

Sonlight Core B and Science C with younger sister

Sonlight Readers 4/5

Essentials in Writing 4 (maybe, but strongly leaning toward)

Typing Instructor for Kids

Wordlywise 3000 grade 4

Local homeschool music class

maybe something formal for spelling

maybe something formal for art

I think that's everything.

• 1 month later...

Old thread, but I never posted and thought I'd add to my list since they always helped me in the past.

Math: Life of Fred is the main course of study - adding practice as needed. I also picked up Beast Academy as a supplement/review for fun, along with some other literature - Penrose the Mathematical Cat, The Number Devil, and Perfectly Perilous Math. There are few other math challenges in mind too. I'm in no rush to get through any of it so we will just see where the year leads us :)

Language Arts: Bravewriter is my guide. I'll use The Arrow for the basics. Then each day will have a focus - Monday is a report back where he selects something he did the last week and tells me about it and finds a picture to go with or sketches a picture if there isn't one, Tuesday is a poetry tea, Thursday will be working on our writing projects (though we might need to dabble on other days a bit too, but we will plan to get in a big chunk of work on Thursday, and on Friday we will be freewrites.

Reading/Literature: Still working on a sold read aloud list. Also considering some kind of reading list this year - I might have ds help me select books rather than dictate his reading. My main goal is to get him reading some challenging literature as well as a variety of genres.

History: Listen to SOTW 1-4 (we listen through each year). I'm working on a read aloud list. I try and plan 3 books per time period each year (ancients, middle ages, early modern, modern). Then unit studies to dig deeper into castles, Lewis & Clark, cowboys, and whatever topic strikes his fancy as we listen to SOTW. I try and dig deep into about 6 topics each year, but there will be lots of mini rabbit trails that happen too.

Science: We unit study science too. Right now we have geology, rainforest, and animals (again - trying to figure out how to go deeper with this constantly reoccurring theme!), and simple machines on the list.

Logic: I have a basket of stuff from games to workbooks to puzzles for him to enjoy. I don't require logic, but I do encourage him to pull the basket out weekly and he always does.

Latin: Not a requirement for me, but ds would like to work through Visual Latin this year.

Art: His passion so we plan to start each and every single learning period (we schedule a 4 hour chunk of our day for learning so we have one afternoon and three mornings next year, with the 5th day off) with art. My plan is to work through Discovering Great Artists or Artistic Pursuits on Monday, sketch on Tuesday, new techniques using the 52 Art Labs book on Thursday, and experiment or select something else that looked like so much fun on Friday. This should make for an awesome year!

Extra: He'll be in an art class, Lego Robotics class, and a nature class.

I'm still finishing up 3rd with my aspie, but this is what I think we'll be doing next year:

Math: Right Start D

Writing: Classical Writing Aesop B

Grammar: Rod and Staff 3 (He only did grammar through CW this year, so I thought I'd start with R&S 3 instead of 4...good/bad idea?)

Latin: Latina Christina 1

Logic?

Together with his sisters:

Bible: Christian Studies 1 (orally)

Science: God's Design

History: A Child's History of the World, with a focus on Ancient Greece and Rome (using Famous Men books)

Geography: Maybe Voskamp's A Child's Geography?

Literature? We've just been reading what I have in my library. I am thinking about maybe having him read one or two with lit guides so he knows how to do them?

Piano: Bastien's Primer

Art: co-op

May also get this book from amazon for singing as my kids have expressed interest:

http://www.amazon.com/Singing-Lessons-Little-Singers-Beginner/dp/1470023261/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1371595033&sr=1-9&keywords=basics+of+singing