Menu

Book a Week in 2013 - week eight

Robin M

I just finished To Kill A Mockingbird this morning. I had never read it before :( I started it Friday night, and was in a bit of an anxious mood, so I sat in the living room reading the first ten (or so) chapters while the sun set and it got darker in my space. Reading about Boo Radley in those first chapters had me totally on edge, and I feared something bad was going to happen (amazing how our current state of mind really enters into the books we are reading).

I loved it. Really, really loved it. I am sad that it took me so long to read this book, but glad that I finally did. I'll let my daughter read it when she is 12, probably, after we've had a chance to talk about rape :(

I'm mostly trying to read historical non-fiction, but throwing in books like this now is really great too. So if anyone has recommendations for other amazing classic books, I'd love to hear. I didn't have a great literature education growing up, so I'm trying to rectify it now and pass it along to my children :)

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I havenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t read everyoneĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s updates, will do that after DD goes to bed. For now I just wanted to post my progress. After last weekĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s downward blip I managed to pull out a good reading week Ă¢â‚¬â€œ finished three books!

Switch: How to Change Things When Change Is Hard was fabulous. A lot of good food for thought and some things IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m able to implement immediately. We have lots and lots of change here so I hope IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m able to use the information effectively.

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother was a book that I found available from the library for the Kindle and grabbed. I've wanted to read it for a while, ever since it came out and there was all that controversy. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll avoid firing it back up and just say that I live in a land where a kinder, gentler, but no less demanding version of the Tiger Mother exists pretty much everywhere. It helps me understand what my kid is up against.

The Paris Wife was another book I found available from the library for Kindle Ă¢â‚¬â€œ which surprised me - but I grabbed it and devoured the book in two nights (insomnia does that). Loved it. Loved it! I want to read Hemingway now, especially A Moveable Feast. I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t normally like knowing the private lives of public figures, but I already knew Hemingway was an @$$. I had to remind myself that it was a work of fiction.

I also made decent progress in Book Three of The Histories, and am going to concentrate on them this week. My reading buddy is patiently waiting for me to catch up! I need to get back to my regularly scheduled programming of reading the Ancients.

Finished:

7. The Paris Wife, Mclain (Library Spree) *****

6. Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother, Chua (Library Spree) ***

5. Switch: How to Change Things When Change Is Hard, Heath (Library Spree) ****

4. Book Was There: Reading in Electronic Times, Piper (Library Spree) ***

3. Alias Grace, Atwood (Library Spree, Canadian) ***

2. The Song of Achilles, Miller (Library Spree) ****

1. The Handmaid's Tale, Atwood (Canadian/Continental, TBR/Dusty) ****

In Process:

The Iliad, Homer

The Histories, Herodotus

Aggie Amy's Rating System (which IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve adopted):

***** - Fantastic, couldn't put it down

**** - Very good

*** - Enjoyable but nothing special

** - Not recommended

* - Horrible

I read and very much liked The Yiddish Policeman's Union. It is a clever book, an alternative reality that places the post-WWII Jewish diaspora in Alaska.

After reading this book, I turned to my husband (who has very different reading tastes than mine) and said "You will like this." Now only did he like it, he has become quite captivated by many of Chabon's books. I bought him the latest (Telegraph Avenue) for Christmas but I don't think he has read it yet.

Thanks, I think I'll read it. I brought it home, but was on the fence.

Oh I do like Calvin Trillin! And I'll keep your Munro recommendation in mind since I did like The View from Castle Rock on the second go around.

Despite my love of Tom Jones, it was a bit of a slog for me at times because I found myself in a rare mood for non-fiction. Usually I take my non-fiction in smaller doses, preferably as magazine articles. (There is one next to me right now: "Yes, the Chinese Army is Spying on You" in Bloomberg Businessweek.) Of the six books that I have completed thus far, only two have been novels. Three non-fiction, the aforementioned short stories. Strange times for this reader...

Oh, that article sounds very interesting. Off to find it. I'm a bit of a Sinophile.

Oh, that article sounds very interesting. Off to find it. I'm a bit of a Sinophile.

I copied the words from the cover of the magazine. An Internet article is here. I'm not 100% sure if it is the same as the print one which are really interesting. The NPR program On the Media has also had an interesting program recently on the hack of the NY Times by the Chinese.

I am normally not a paranoid person but my husband, whose work involves cybersecurity, gives me reasons to be cautious.

I finished Rosaria Butterfield's book thaat is lighting up my little corner of the internet: The Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert. By doing so, I suspect I've continued my pattern of reading one of the best books of my reading year before the end of February. Amazing. Started late Saturday. Glad today was a holiday so I could finish!!

Book Reviews

1. The White Horse King: The Life of Alfred the Great by Benjamin Merkle

2. Publish and Perish by Sally S Wright

3. Pride and Predator by Sally S Wright

4. Pursuit and Persuasion by Sally S Wright

5. Out of the Ruins by Sally S Wright

6. The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-ExupĂƒÂ©ry

7. Watches of the Night by Sally S Wright

8. Code of Silence by Sally S Wright

9. Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi

10. The Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert by Rosaria Butterfield (excellent)

Been on a bit of a board break (spending all my time on Pinterest) so I haven't posted since week 2 or so, but here is where I am:

Completed:

1. The Light Between Oceans, by ML Stedman. Loved this one.

2. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, by Ken Kesey.

3. The Weird Sisters, by Eleanor Brown. When a group of 16 very diverse women read a book for book group and not a single one likes it, you know it is bad.

4. Sweet Tooth, by Ian McEwan. Enjoyed this one.

5. The Book of Joe, by Jonathan Tropper. The first book of his I ever read, This Is Where I Leave You, was such a great book. I'm slowly reading through the rest of his books (one more to go) in hopes of finding one I love as much. Hasn't happened yet.

6. The Night Circus, by Erin Morgenstern. Took a bit to get into but I ended up really liked this one. I also had the strangest dreams while reading this. Hmmmm...

7. The Summer We Read Gatsby, by Danielle Ganek. Meh. Not terrible, but not terribly engaging either.

Currently reading:

8. The Last Good Day, by Peter Blauner.

Looking forward to combing the past few threads in search of some good reads.

Completed:

Book #28 - "I am Half-Sice of Shadows" by Alan Bradley. The fourth Flavia book. Number 5 has 10 people ahead of me on hold, so I might not be reading that any time soon, though maybe I'll do better at our partner library. There, they have five copies, with 26 people on the hold list. (Canadian author, English setting.)

Book #27 - ""Brainiac: Adventures in the Curious, Competitive, Compulsive World of Trivia Buffs" by Ken Jennings. Both the story of his experience on Jeopardy! and a history of Trivia fascination.

Book #26 - "Because I Said So!: The Truth Behind the Myths, Tales & Warnings Every Generation Passes Down to Its Kids" by Ken Jennings. I liked it. Sort of Mythbusterish.

Book #25 - "A Red Herring Without Mustard" by Alan Bradley. (Canadian author, English setting.)

Book #24 - "The Case of the Man Who Died Laughing" by Tarquin Hall. (British author, Indian setting.)

Book #23 - "The Lost Art of Gratitude" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #22 - "The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag" by Alan Bradley. (Canadian author, English setting.)

Book #21 - "Academic Homeschooling: How to Give Your Child an Amazing Education and Survive" by Tracy Chatters.

Book #20 - "The Comforts of a Muddy Saturday" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #19 - "The Return of the Native" by Thomas Hardy. (WEM.)

Book #18 - "The Careful Use of Compliments" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #17 - "The Right Attitude to Rain" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #16 - "Inspector Singh Investigates: A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder" by Shamini Flint. (Singaporean author, Malaysian setting.)

Book #15 - "Friends, Lovers, Chocolate" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #14 - "Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie" by Alan Bradley. (Canadian author, English setting.)

Book #13 - "Portuguese Irregular Verbs" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/]Scottish author, German character, German/Swiss/Italian/Ireland/Indian settings.)

Book #12 - "In Cold Pursuit" by Sarah Andrews. (Antarctica setting.)

Book #11 - "Anna Karenina" by Leo Nikoleyevich Tolstoy. (Russian; or WEM challenge.)

Book #10 - "The Sunday Philosophy Club" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #9 - "The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection" by Alexander McCall Smith. (]Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #8 - "The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #7 - "The Double Comfort Safari Club" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #6 - " Tea Time for the Traditionally Built" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #5 - "Crime and Punishment" by Fydor Dostoevsky. (Russian; or WEM challenge.)

Book #4 - "The Miracle of Speedy Motors" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #3 - "The Good Husband of Zebra Drive" by Alexander McCall Smith. (]Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #2 - "Blue Shoes and Happiness" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #1 - "In the Company of Cheerful Ladies" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

This description makes me think of Half Broke Horses too. Did you read that book?

No but I read The Glass Castle and enjoyed it. Dh is distantly related to Jeanette Walls by marriage. My MIL and her MIL are cousins and were close as kids. They lost touch as adults though, so dh never really got to know his second cousin - Walls' husband. She came to the family reunion in the Tennessee mountains a few years ago but I had no idea who she was at the time.

I have also started The Stockholm Octavo by Karen Engelmann.

No but I read The Glass Castle and enjoyed it. Dh is distantly related to Jeanette Walls by marriage. My MIL and her MIL are cousins and were close as kids. They lost touch as adults though, so dh never really got to know his second cousin - Walls' husband. She came to the family reunion in the Tennessee mountains a few years ago but I had no idea who she was at the time.

That's neat. Perhaps you'll see her again at some future reunion....

If you enjoyed The Glass Castle, I think you'd definitely enjoy Half Broke Horses too.

I didn't get a chance to post last week so this update is for 2 weeks.

First, I finished The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom:

"Orphaned while onboard ship from Ireland, seven-year-old Lavinia arrives on the steps of a tobacco plantation where she is to live and work with the slaves of the kitchen house. Under the care of Belle, the master's illegitimate daughter, Lavinia becomes deeply bonded to her adopted family, though she is set apart from them by her white skin.

Eventually, Lavinia is accepted into the world of the big house, where the master is absent and mistress battles opium addiction. Lavinia finds herself perilously straddling two very different worlds. When she is forced to make a choice, loyalties are brought into question, dangerous truths are laid bare, and lives are put at risk."

This book was good, yet tragic. The front cover had a blurb comparing it to The Help, but I didn't really see the similarities.

Second, I finished Choosing to See by Mary Beth Chapman. She is the wife of Christian recording artist, Steven Curtis Chapman. They lost one of their adopted children in a tragic accident. The first half of the book discussed how they came to adoption, events surrounding each of their 3 adoptions, and general life leading up to the tragedy. After that, it switched gears and was made up entirely of journal entries and blog posts by Mary Beth. The book lost its appeal to me at that point, but I did finish.

Finally, I finished listening to Overcoming Dyslexia by Dr. Sally Shaywitz. I found the brain information presented in the book fascinating. There was also a lot of good information given to identifying and accomodating people with dyslexia, however I believe the author comes across as anti-homeschooling. In no way should a parent attempt to teach a child to read; this should be left up to professionals. Those statements were made over and over again and clouded my opinion of the book a bit.

This week I started Great Expecations with my high schooler. I may be camped out here for while! I'm also listening to The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg and we should finish Moccasin Trail as a read aloud sometime this week.

Books so far this year:

1. The Missing by Chris Mooney

2. Becoming Fearless by Michelle Aguilar

3. Now You See Me by S.J. Bolton

4. Getting Things Done by David Allen

5. Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo

6. Reinventing Yourself by Steve Chandler

7. The Slight Edge by Jeff Olson

8. The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom

9. Choosing to See by Mary Beth Chapman

10. Overcoming Dyslexia by Dr. Sally Shaywitz

I thought I would check in even though I haven't finished anything else yet. I started on a major decluttering/reorganizing project last Tuesday and that has taken up all my free time and made me too tired to read more than a few pages at bedtime!

I'm still working through The Dragon Reborn by Robert Jordan. I'm about halfway through. It has a little slower start than #2, combine that with this decluttering bug on my mind and I'm having trouble staying engaged. I hope I can get going and finish this by Saturday!

I wish I could listen to audio books, I could have finished quite a few while cleaning. Not only am I not auditory, it feels like cheating. Dd just listened to a really great edition of The Hobbit from the library. Fully dramatized. Maybe I should try that.

If you're going to be in San Diego (actually Encinitas) on July 31, this would be a cool/fun outing -- to meet author Kevin Hearne (Iron Druid series), plus another author. JennW in SoCal, I thought of you when I saw the posting for Atticus & Oberon's Elevator Ride. Robin, would this be near you?

Oooooh! Thanks for the link and bringing it to my attention. Looks like they will both be at Comic-con (though I don't have passes yet) and the new author will also be at my favorite local bookstore. It is a bit of a drive for Robin, but do message me if you ever think you'd head down here!

Guess I need to get with the program and start reading the Iron Druid series, eh?!!

Finished listening to P.G.Wodehouse's Uneasy Money (#7) while turning the heel of a sock. Wodehouse is my favorite brain candy.

Thanks for the idea; I'll listen to this. After reading I put a number of unabridged recordings on hold (at 4 hours I could listen to one every day or two while working & driving) and also one on a dramatized version because I have a soft spot for radio plays. During my last full year in university I used to listen to a play on the CBC FM station every Sunday night in bed with the lights out as it was right around bedtime.

I wish I could listen to audio books, I could have finished quite a few while cleaning. Not only am I not auditory, it feels like cheating. Dd just listened to a really great edition of The Hobbit from the library. Fully dramatized. Maybe I should try that.

Sometimes it feels a bit like cheating to me, but when I realized a. that it actually takes longer to get through a book this way and b. how many more books I could read in a month, I started listening to more. I'm visual, auditory and kinesthetic, depending on what it is (or a combination at times) and who knows what else; I'm all mixed up in my learning styles and dominances. Try the dramatized ones and see how it goes.

My name's Jennifer and I'm a police procedural junkie. It's been 12 hours since I finished my last DI Banks mystery and with my next copy not yet on the hold shelf at the library, I'm beginning to go through withdrawal symptoms. There's a dog to walk, a kitchen to clean, laundry to put away but all I can focus on is getting my next "fix".

Seriously, it is bad. I have 2 very wonderful non-fiction books started, but I only go back to them when I can't get my paws on the next book. But y'all will understand, I'm sure, and no doubt in time will introduce me to my next reading "drug" of choice!

So far I have completed a few non-DI Banks titles:

Baker Street Letters

North and South

Return of the King

Soul Music

The Spy Lover

Comic-Con and the Business of Pop Culture

Believing the Lie

And, as I said, I have 2 good non-fiction titles in progress:

Jungleland, which is similar to Lost City of Z in that a journalist heads into the wilds to trace the journey of an old explorer

The Violinist's Thumb, about DNA, actually, and not violin technique

My DI Banks list thus far:

Gallows View

Hanging Valley

Past Reason Hated

Innocent Graves

Wednesday's Child

Final Account

In a Dry Season

My name's Jennifer and I'm a police procedural junkie. It's been 12 hours since I finished my last DI Banks mystery and with my next copy not yet on the hold shelf at the library, I'm beginning to go through withdrawal symptoms. There's a dog to walk, a kitchen to clean, laundry to put away but all I can focus on is getting my next "fix".

My DI Banks list thus far:

Gallows View

Hanging Valley

Past Reason Hated

Innocent Graves

Wednesday's Child

Final Account

In a Dry Season

I envy all of you folks discovering Peter Robinson. He has been one of my favorite mystery authors for years. It is hard to find another series as captivating.

After you read them all, you might want to try the Peter Diamond mysteries by author Peter Lovesey. Or, if you are a police procedural fan (addict), try Maj Sjowall and Per Wahloo's Martin Beck series, set in the bleak Swedish landscape.

The laundry will wait..

Now I'm reading an ARC of Life After Life by Kate Atkinson. It's so good, incredibly well-written. You can read the summary at the link but the premise is: "What if you could live again and again, until you got it right?"

Ok, this immediately popped into mind...

[Groundhog Day visual]

(I'm sure the book you're reading is more serious & cultured than this movie, though....! It sounds like a good book.)

It reminded me of Replay by Ken Grimwood.

"Jeff Winston, forty-three, didn't know he was a replayer until he died and woke up twenty-five years younger in his college dorm room; he lived another life. And died again. And lived again and died again -- in a continuous twenty-five-year cycle -- each time starting from scratch at the age of eighteen to reclaim lost loves, remedy past mistakes, or make a fortune in the stock market. A novel of gripping adventure, romance, and fascinating speculation on the nature of time, Replay asks the question: "What if you could live your life over again?""

Replay is a favorite book of mine.

Regards,

Kareni

You know, I haven't read any of Kim Harrison's books yet. Don't know why. Will have to take another look. Here's a few other paranormal and urban fantasy suspense romances authors to check out:

Lara Adrian - Midnight Breed series

Christine Feehan - Ghost Walkers and Sea Haven series.

Marjorie M. Lui - Dirk and Steele series

Nalini Singh - Guild hunter series

J.R. Ward - Fallen Angel Series

Laurell K. Hamilton - Anita Blake Vampire Hunter / Merry Gentry (heavy duty)

Lora Leigh - Breed series (heavy duty)

Based on these recommendations I am lost in Guild Hunter series this week. :)

If you're going to be in San Diego (actually Encinitas) on July 31, this would be a cool/fun outing -- to meet author Kevin Hearne (Iron Druid series), plus another author. JennW in SoCal, I thought of you when I saw the posting for Atticus & Oberon's Elevator Ride. Robin, would this be near you?

It's about 8 to 10 hours from Sacramento depending on how fast you drive. :) My niece and nephew live in san diego so hoping to get down there sometime this year. James wants to go to comic con - we are debating.

Based on these recommendations I am lost in Guild Hunter series this week. :)

Good for you. Hope you enjoy it. I'll still lost in the world of Kitty Norville. Some series are just addictive.

Have been trying to read The Bridge: the Life and Rise of Barack Obama by David Remnick with James. (his pick by the way). The writing is so horrible. Its all over the place touching on so many different people and he keeps jumping time wise. Has all the makings for a good book but mixed all wrong. The first chapter went into the civil rights actions in Selma in the 60's which was interesting, but again jumping forward, then back again. After reading so many pages and trying to figure out how each person is linked to Obama I more or less threw up my hands and said forget it. James is going to attempt it alone. We'll see how far he gets before he gives and agrees with me to find another bio of Obama.

We had house guests this last week so I didn't get nearly as much reading done as I would have liked to. But I finished book 8 so I'm still on track.

1 - All the King's Men Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Robert Penn Warren

2 - A Stranger in a Strange Land Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Robert Heinlein

3 - A Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood

4 - Catcher in the Rye Ă¢â‚¬â€œ J.D. Salinger

5 - Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury

6 - The Grapes of Wrath Ă¢â‚¬â€œ John Steinbeck

7 Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Murder on the Orient Express Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Agatha Christie

8 Ă¢â‚¬â€œ The Illustrated Man Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ray Bradbury

So many great books mentioned here. My list keeps growing.

Last week I finished:

29) More than a Skeleton by Paul L. Maier. I love his books they are a great read but also so thought provoking. This one is about a Bible scholar who becomes embroiled in the question of could Jesus return for an "intermediate" visit-- not revelation's. What would it be like? In the fictional context of this book had he?

30) Notorious Nineteen by Janet Evanovich. Liked this one.

31) Hammered by Kevin Hearne. I've started Tricked.

32) Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn. Loved it! Thank you for this suggestion. I have the next one sitting beside me waiting for my post to be done! :)

It's about 8 to 10 hours from Sacramento depending on how fast you drive. :) My niece and nephew live in san diego so hoping to get down there sometime this year. James wants to go to comic con - we are debating.

Robin,

Tickets for Comic-con are all sold out. My husband got his professional badge, but spouses no longer get free passes! I won't know if I can go until the last minute, but since we live here, it is no big deal one way or the other. It has been absolutely nuts for the last several years -- it used to be you could wander in and buy single day tickets, but no more. I blame Hollywood, but that's another story!! There is lots of madness and mayhem downtown during the Con and some people come down just to people watch and to check out the events and displays set up outside the convention center.

In any case, let me know if you do make the long drive!! I can introduce you to all the cool bookstores!

Robin,

Tickets for Comic-con are all sold out. My husband got his professional badge, but spouses no longer get free passes! I won't know if I can go until the last minute, but since we live here, it is no big deal one way or the other. It has been absolutely nuts for the last several years -- it used to be you could wander in and buy single day tickets, but no more. I blame Hollywood, but that's another story!! There is lots of madness and mayhem downtown during the Con and some people come down just to people watch and to check out the events and displays set up outside the convention center.

In any case, let me know if you do make the long drive!! I can introduce you to all the cool bookstores!

Sold out, already. Wow! James hates crowds and mayhem which made me curious why he'd subject himself to going in the first place. Have an excuse now that we know it's sold out to not come down during the con and do it during a quieter period of time. Will definitely let you know if or when we decide to come down.

Ok, this immediately popped into mind...

[Groundhog Day]

:lol:

(I'm sure the book you're reading is more serious & cultured than this movie, though....! It sounds like a good book.)

Hmmm. Will have to look this one up... later, though, because I'm trying to keep my book pile manageable. :rolleyes: :willy_nilly:

hahaha yes, in a way it does remind me of that movie but... I hate Groundhog Day!! It was so frustrating to watch. This doesn't feel like she's stuck, kwim? Maybe because she's not aware of it, really. (I don't want to give anything away).

It reminded me of Replay by Ken Grimwood.

"Jeff Winston, forty-three, didn't know he was a replayer until he died and woke up twenty-five years younger in his college dorm room; he lived another life. And died again. And lived again and died again -- in a continuous twenty-five-year cycle -- each time starting from scratch at the age of eighteen to reclaim lost loves, remedy past mistakes, or make a fortune in the stock market. A novel of gripping adventure, romance, and fascinating speculation on the nature of time, Replay asks the question: "What if you could live your life over again?""

Replay is a favorite book of mine.

Great!!! I need to put that on the TBR pile, thanks!

What did you think of The Lace Reader? I had it, but returned it to the library unread. I may check it out again some day....

There was a lot in The Lace Reader that I enjoyed. The characters are interesting and the plot is unexpected. There was some that I found confusing or irritating. I have found myself thinking about it since I finished it. That's always a sign that I found the book to be worthwhile. If you are looking for a psychological thriller, I'd recommend it WAY above Gone Girl.

This week I read Lake of Dreams by Kim Edward. I find her writing much improved in this novel as compared to The Memory Keeper's Daughter. The thought processes of her characters seem more realistic. She definitely underscores her themes in a slightly heavy-handed manner but the storyline was fun and I enjoyed the book. She did a good job capturing the perspective of an expat returning home and I'm wondering if she has spent time living overseas. Haven't fact checked that yet, though-

Elaine

Last night I finished Attachments: A Novel by Rainbow Rowell; I enjoyed it.

"Beth Fremont and Jennifer Scribner-Snyder know that somebody is monitoring their work e-mail. (Everybody in the newsroom knows. It's company policy.) But they can't quite bring themselves to take it seriously. They go on sending each other endless and endlessly hilarious e-mails, discussing every aspect of their personal lives.

Meanwhile, Lincoln O'Neill can't believe this is his job now- reading other people's e-mail. When he applied to be "internet security officer," he pictured himself building firewalls and crushing hackers- not writing up a report every time a sports reporter forwards a dirty joke.

When Lincoln comes across Beth's and Jennifer's messages, he knows he should turn them in. But he can't help being entertained-and captivated-by their stories.

By the time Lincoln realizes he's falling for Beth, it's way too late to introduce himself.

What would he say . . . ?"

I'll be on the lookout for other works by this author.

Regards,

Kareni

It's been 12 hours since I finished my last DI Banks mystery and with my next copy not yet on the hold shelf at the library, I'm beginning to go through withdrawal symptoms.

I envy all of you folks discovering Peter Robinson. He has been one of my favorite mystery authors for years. It is hard to find another series as captivating.

OMG, This is me!! I am totally hooked on DI Banks :001_wub:.

Wow, I can't wait to give one of these a try! :001_smile:

If you are looking for a psychological thriller, I'd recommend it WAY above Gone Girl.

Thanks for the tip.

I was able to finish two books this week, Last Child in the Woods and Gone Girl. Last Child in the Woods must have had some effect because I ended up taking my girls on two hikes this week even though I hate the cold. :) I had been on a wait list for Gone Girl and got it on Thursday and finished by Saturday. It is definitely a book I could not put down but I can't decide if I am glad I read it. For this week I have started The Well-Educated Mind and, as a result, Don Quixote. :)

Completed:

9.) Gone Girl

8.) Last Child in the Woods

7.) East of Eden

6.) The $100 Start Up

5.) A Christmas Carol

4.) Dracula

3.) The Night Circus

2.) Switch

1.) Getting Things Done

Completed:

Well, we've spent the three-day weekend being sick with some bronchial thing. My last hold out, the 8-year-old, woke up with it this morning. At least I've gotten ahead in my reading.

Book #30 - "The Forgotten Affairs of Youth" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #29 - "The Charming Quirks of Others" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #28 - "I am Half-Sice of Shadows" by Alan Bradley. (Canadian author, English setting.)

Book #27 - ""Brainiac: Adventures in the Curious, Competitive, Compulsive World of Trivia Buffs" by Ken Jennings.

Book #26 - "Because I Said So!: The Truth Behind the Myths, Tales & Warnings Every Generation Passes Down to Its Kids" by Ken Jennings.

Book #25 - "A Red Herring Without Mustard" by Alan Bradley. (Canadian author, English setting.)

Book #24 - "The Case of the Man Who Died Laughing" by Tarquin Hall. (British author, Indian setting.)

Book #23 - "The Lost Art of Gratitude" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #22 - "The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag" by Alan Bradley. (Canadian author, English setting.)

Book #21 - "Academic Homeschooling: How to Give Your Child an Amazing Education and Survive" by Tracy Chatters.

Book #20 - "The Comforts of a Muddy Saturday" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #19 - "The Return of the Native" by Thomas Hardy. (WEM.)

Book #18 - "The Careful Use of Compliments" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #17 - "The Right Attitude to Rain" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #16 - "Inspector Singh Investigates: A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder" by Shamini Flint. (Singaporean author, Malaysian setting.)

Book #15 - "Friends, Lovers, Chocolate" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #14 - "Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie" by Alan Bradley. (Canadian author, English setting.)

Book #13 - "Portuguese Irregular Verbs" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/]Scottish author, German character, German/Swiss/Italian/Ireland/Indian settings.)

Book #12 - "In Cold Pursuit" by Sarah Andrews. (Antarctica setting.)

Book #11 - "Anna Karenina" by Leo Nikoleyevich Tolstoy. (Russian; or WEM challenge.)

Book #10 - "The Sunday Philosophy Club" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #9 - "The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection" by Alexander McCall Smith. (]Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #8 - "The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #7 - "The Double Comfort Safari Club" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #6 - " Tea Time for the Traditionally Built" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #5 - "Crime and Punishment" by Fydor Dostoevsky. (Russian; or WEM challenge.)

Book #4 - "The Miracle of Speedy Motors" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #3 - "The Good Husband of Zebra Drive" by Alexander McCall Smith. (]Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #2 - "Blue Shoes and Happiness" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #1 - "In the Company of Cheerful Ladies" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Last night I finished Attachments: A Novel by Rainbow Rowell; I enjoyed it.

"Beth Fremont and Jennifer Scribner-Snyder know that somebody is monitoring their work e-mail. (Everybody in the newsroom knows. It's company policy.) But they can't quite bring themselves to take it seriously. They go on sending each other endless and endlessly hilarious e-mails, discussing every aspect of their personal lives.

Meanwhile, Lincoln O'Neill can't believe this is his job now- reading other people's e-mail. When he applied to be "internet security officer," he pictured himself building firewalls and crushing hackers- not writing up a report every time a sports reporter forwards a dirty joke.

When Lincoln comes across Beth's and Jennifer's messages, he knows he should turn them in. But he can't help being entertained-and captivated-by their stories.

By the time Lincoln realizes he's falling for Beth, it's way too late to introduce himself.

What would he say . . . ?"

I'll be on the lookout for other works by this author.

Regards,

Kareni

I've done pretty well not adding books to my TBR pile until I whittle it down, but this book looks fun. I could use a light fun romance.

Finished Of Mice and Men. So glad I read it again. What a wonderful book!

My daughter and her husband are reading through Persuasion (Jane Austen) together and I'm tagging along. I'm using The Annotated Persuasion. The notes are a wonderful addition for me but I also know it is going to take me much longer to get through the book because of them.

I thought I would check in even though I haven't finished anything else yet. I started on a major decluttering/reorganizing project last Tuesday and that has taken up all my free time and made me too tired to read more than a few pages at bedtime!

I'm still working through The Dragon Reborn by Robert Jordan. I'm about halfway through. It has a little slower start than #2, combine that with this decluttering bug on my mind and I'm having trouble staying engaged. I hope I can get going and finish this by Saturday!

I'm taking a break from Kitty Norville and before I read #10 Kitty steals the show, going to dive into The Dragon Reborn