Menu

What has your 4th grader read and enjoyed recently?

Well, my 4th grader loves fantasy so this might not help with stretching yours. :) These are some recent favorites...

The False Prince by Jennifer Neilsen (sp?)

The Ranger’s Apprentice series

Joshua Dread (about a boy who discovers that his parents are supervillans)

Phantom Tollbooth

He is presently engrossed in The Time Machine. He also recently read and enjoyed Wind in the Willows, Diary of a Wimpy Kid- The Third Wheel, Swiss Family Robinson and Treasure Island. He was totally captivated by the Swiss Family Robinson which was a Christmas present. As soon as he finished that one, he started it again. It lives with him in his bunk.

Here are some she just recently finished....

Midnight Magic (Avi)

Chalice (McKinley)

Pegasus: The Flame of Olympus (O'Hearn) (She's reading the sequel to this right now.)

The Faerie Door (Maxwell)

The Unicorn Treasury (Coville)

Roverandom (Tolkien)

The Hero and the Crown (McKinley)

The Black Stallion (Farley)

The Hunting of the Last Dragon (Jordan)

Trying to give you some titles outside of fantasy, as our DSs enjoyed that genre, too...

A few our boys really enjoyed at a 4th grade reading level:

- Ben and Me; Mr. Revere and I (Lawson) -- humorous spin on history

- Trumpet of the Swan (White) -- talking animal; humorous

- By the Great Horn Spoon (Fleischman) -- humorous

- The Whipping Boy (Fleischman) -- humorous

- Sign of the Beaver (George) -- Native American

- Om-Kas-Toe (Thomasa) -- Native American

At a 4th/5th grade reading level:

- Rescuers series (Sharpe) -- The Rescuers, The Turret, Miss Bianca, Miss Bianca in the Salt Mines, Miss Bianca in the Orient -- talking animal; humorous

At about a 5th grade reading level:

- My Side of the Mountain (George) -- nature/survival

- In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson (Lord) -- real life; humorous

- The Best Christmas Pageant Ever -- real life; humorous

- From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler (Konigsburg) -- mystery

- Samurai mystery series (Hoobler) -- mystery/detective

- The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (Aiken) -- adventure, Victorian setting

We just listened to Young Fredle in the car. It was a great book. My son loved it. Probably not the most challenging reads but enjoyable.

He is reading Swiss Family Robinson for school and really likes it. He has read abridged versions before. He keeps saying "I forgot how good this book is" and on our trip to Disney last week his first stop was the Treehouse.

Horrible Histories and the Slimy Science ones as well, Hardy Boys, Jean Fritz books, and several of the things others have already mentioned and if I let him he would literally read encyclopedias for fun all the time. He loves encyclopedias. He likes the Warrior Series as well but that is fantasy.

My third and sixth graders both LOVE Gary Paulsen's Brian books: Hatchet, Brian's Winter, The River. They're not fantasy--they are adventure/survival--stories of a boy's ability to survive on his own in adverse conditions outside.

Thank you for reminding me about these, I LOVED Hatchet when I was growing up but couldn't remember for what age it is best suited. I know our library has these, I will have to pick them up.

Horrible Histories and the Slimy Science ones as well, Hardy Boys, Jean Fritz books, and several of the things others have already mentioned and if I let him he would literally read encyclopedias for fun all the time. He loves encyclopedias. He likes the Warrior Series as well but that is fantasy.

That's so funny. My son is the same way! :D

He's had the flu for the past couple of days and once he felt well enough to sit up and read, he asked for his history and health books.

Well, thankfully, dd has really enjoyed all (except one) of the historical fiction I picked out this year. We are studying Ancients. So far she's read:

• Secret of the Scribe; Jennifer Garrity
  • The Golden Goblet; Eloise Megraw
  • Tirzah; Lucille Travis
  • Life as a Gladiator; Michael Burgan
  • The Last Quest of Gilgamesh; Ludmila Zeman
  • More Stories To Solve; George Shannon
  • Eo of the Caves; Rowland Walck
  • A Grain of Rice; Helena Pittman
  • What's Your Angle, Pythagorus? by Julie Ellis

She hated the Rosetta Stone.

Reading just for fun, she likes the James Patterson books about Max from the Maximum Ride series; The Land of Elyon series by Patrick Carmen and she's bought the first book for the Brotherband Chronicles by John Flanagan.

Right now I'm reading God King as our read aloud and she loves it. She is really discovering that she enjoys historical fiction. While in the grocery store just last week, she used some of her money to purchase, The Damascus Way by Davis Bunn & Janette Oke. I was quite surprised, but she's excited to start it.

Last year, The Sixty-Eight Rooms (and its sequel, Stealing Magic), by Marianne Malone, was a big hit with my first and fourth graders (and it looks like another sequel, The Pirate's Coin, is coming out soon). It's got mystery, adventure, realistic modern fiction, and history all together. The audio book is very good.

My current second grader is reading this book, which he loves, although it's more on a fourth grade level: Will at the Battle of Gettysburg, part of the Boys of Wartime series, by Laurie Calkhoven. He is really enjoying it, and it's realistic historical fiction.

For those that liked Swiss Family Robinson, what edition did you like?

Thanks!

This 1993 edition was the one we bought him at a local used bookstore. It has the 1909 Introduction by William Howells and color illustrations by Thomas Heath Robinson and Milo Winter. It is hard bound and unabridged. And it is cheap. We paid $5, and online as you can see it is dirt cheap. It's a good size and font for read alouds and for kids to read on their own.

Treasure Island is our 4th grader boy favorite.

Also, he has been enjoying E. Nesbit's books, namely:

The Railway Children

The Story of the Treasure Seekers

The Five Children and It, plus we will read the next two in the series soon:

The Phoenix and the Carpet

The Story of the Amulet

This 1993 edition was the one we bought him at a local used bookstore. It has the 1909 Introduction by William Howells and color illustrations by Thomas Heath Robinson and Milo Winter. It is hard bound and unabridged. And it is cheap. We paid $5, and online as you can see it is dirt cheap. It's a good size and font for read alouds and for kids to read on their own.

hmm... We have this one (except mine is red) and it has more pages plus the chapter titles are different than the one you linked. I like yours better. We read mine when ds was 6; he loved it! But I will confess that I skipped whole sections because I just.wanted.it.to.end. LOL. It has 602 pages.

Wonder when they switched it?

My 4th grade son also prefers fantasy. He is loving the Percy Jackson series. He also read right through the Warriors series (talking cats) for fun. It is amazing how much faster he reads fantasy compared with the historical fiction I assign. I can't wait to introduce him to some of the great titles in this thread. Thanks!

One thing I can suggest that works well for my son...if I am trying to get him into a non-fantasy book, it helps if I read the first few chapters to get him hooked...sometimes it ends up being a good third of the book, but he'll end up finishing it, to see what happens.

hmm... We have this one (except mine is red) and it has more pages plus the chapter titles are different than the one you linked. I like yours better. We read mine when ds was 6; he loved it! But I will confess that I skipped whole sections because I just.wanted.it.to.end. LOL. It has 602 pages.

Wonder when they switched it?

There are a zillion different editions of classics like these because the copyrights have run out. All with different numbers of pages, font sizes etc. The one we have is storybook sized so quite a bit more real estate on each page for words. Also, this particular book has been edited and translated from the original manuscript an absurd number of times by Wyss' son and many others and then long continuing stories in French were tacked into the original story after Wyss was dead and later translated and sold as one, much longer, book. So it is likely that while our edition is not a modernized abridged or language updated edition (the vocabulary remains at times obscure and old-fashioned), it is not the longest version of this book ever translated and printed. Which means it is edited in some form, as are all of the translations.

There are a zillion different editions of classics like these because the copyrights have run out. All with different numbers of pages, font sizes etc. The one we have is storybook sized so quite a bit more real estate on each page for words. Also, this particular book has been edited and translated from the original manuscript an absurd number of times by Wyss' son and many others and then long continuing stories in French were tacked into the original story after Wyss was dead and later translated and sold as one, much longer, book. So it is likely that while our edition is not a modernized abridged or language updated edition (the vocabulary remains at times obscure and old-fashioned), it is not the longest version of this book ever translated and printed. Which means it is edited in some form, as are all of the translations.

That makes sense! Thank you for explaining it. I have the one you suggested in my cart. There is no way I would make him slog through the one we own.

I second the recommendation of In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson.

We love this book. It's very well-written and entertaining. We're big baseball fans, so we loved the Jackie Robinson theme, too.

Another suggestion is Farmer Boy, which is about Almanzo Wilder at age 9.

HTH,

Sue

I second the recommendation of In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson.

We love this book. It's very well-written and entertaining. We're big baseball fans, so we loved the Jackie Robinson theme, too.

We're doing this as a read aloud right now and both kids are really enjoying it. Dd thought it looked like a "boy book" and wasn't interested. Ds thought it looked like a "girl book." I made them both listen to the first chapter and they both asked me to keep reading after that. (And we're not even baseball fans. It's that good. :) )

We just finished Where the Red Fern Grows, and my boys really got into it. So we're kind of on a boy-meets-dog-coming-of-age trend right now. We just started Shiloh today, and they're both halfway through it...they only had to read 4 chapters. They can't put it down.

Anyway, here is what they say their favorite books are:

DS10: Where the Red Fern Grows

DS8: The Lightning Thief

Well, my 4th grader loves fantasy so this might not help with stretching yours. :) These are some recent favorites...

The False Prince by Jennifer Neilsen (sp?)

The Ranger’s Apprentice series

Joshua Dread (about a boy who discovers that his parents are supervillans)

Phantom Tollbooth

My 4th grader is chomping at the bit for the first book of The Ranger's Apprentice to be available at the library. He's number 9 on the waiting list so we might just have to order our own copy!

On about a 4th grade level, my DS is reading George and the Big Bang by Stephen Hawking and his daughter Lucy. It is the third book in that series, which starts with George's Secret Key to the Universe.

Mine has loved and read the entire series several times.

Have you read The Mysterious Benedict series? There are four including the prequel. Even I love those!

I am having a really hard time convincing my 4th grader to step out of his fantasy box....

He recently completed the Christopher Paolini Series, as well as The Lord of the Rings series.

I have so many wonderful books to provide him but he's a stinker!

He has read some adventure books such as

My Side of the Mountain

The Other Side of the Mountain

Island of the Blue Dolphins

Julie and the Wolves

Misty of Chincoteague

He has also read all of the Great Illustrated Classics-for awhile was in a rut where he wouldn't look at anything else.

He read The Mouse and the Motorcycle recently as well.

I try to pick my battles with him-I'm so glad he enjoys reading that I don't fight him too much but I would like him to get into historical fiction. Especially since we are going to be doing AH next year.

Guardians of Ga'hoole series by Lasky, if there is an interest in owls due to the author's extensive research

Perhaps Warriors and all the spinoff series by Erin Hunter, if your son is interested in cats or the other set of books by the same author focusing on bears

And maybe Herbert's Wormhole series by Nelson/Rao as a prequel to Hawking's series recommended by Crimson Wife

My 4th grade ds just flew through The Chronicles of Prydain series by Lloyd Alexander. Today, he finished the last book of the Peter and the Starcatchers series that he started on Monday. He raved about both of them.

Like your son, I am trying to pull mine from the Fantasy realm, so I gave him some options by Avi today (City of Orphans and Hard Gold) as well as a couple of other books. He's decided to read The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg by Rodman Philbrick next - it's historical fiction about the Civil War.